Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

God Hellhouse LLC 2 gets so plodding by the end. I was going to power through it to get to 3 tonight but that poo poo drained my interest for the time being.

I watched 2 a couple nights ago and didn't even know a third one was in the works until it showed up on Shudder's homepage. It's even more of a slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Zwabu posted:

The real horror was the inability to come to a civil consensus on a dead comedy forum.

Paperbacks From Hell traces modern horror novels back to gothic romances with ghosts back to gothic romance.

So basically, all horror movies are ripoffs of The Notebook.

Serious answer: Horror doesn't have protagonists, it has victims.

Sono fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 22, 2019

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I can't believe you left Pumpkinhead out of these proceedings.

Same, but Sleepaway Camp.

Maniac Cop, The Hills Have Eyes, Silent Night, Deadly Night, Gingerdead Man. If Critters is in, Ghoulies? Charles Band could probably fill out the D-tier on his own.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Darthemed posted:

The made-for-TV part IV is better than the remake, but part II is strong enough to carry the whole series.

From best to worst:
Witchcraft II: The Temptress
Witchcraft
Witchcraft VIII: Salem's Ghost
Witchcraft III: The Kiss of Death
Witchcraft 666: The Devil's Mistress
Witchcraft V: Dance with the Devil
Witchcraft IV: The Virgin Heart
Witchcraft XVI: Hollywood Coven
Witchcraft XIV: Angel of Death
Witchcraft XV: Blood Rose
Witchcraft XII: In the Lair of the Serpent
Witchcraft 13: Blood of the Chosen
Witchcraft X: Mistress of the Craft
Witchcraft VII: Judgement Hour
Witchcraft XI: Sisters in Blood
Witchcraft IX: Bitter Flesh

XVI needs to higher for the fact that it explains why the other 15 were terrible, terrible movies. And invalidates them.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

My Twitter Account posted:

Any spook-a-doodle parents want to share tips on raising my offspring to love horror?
I've got a preschooler and ever since she was born she's enjoyed toys and decorations with a "spooky" aesthetic (skeletons, etc.). We watched the recent animated Addams Family movie a couple of months ago and she loves it, and I've shown her a couple of episodes of the b&w TV series too. I want to show her older stuff initially, things that aren't reliant on blood/gore obviously, but that would still be fun to watch without being too terrifying -- I'm thinking specifically of the 1931 Dracula (and/or other old Universals) or one of the Shōwa Godzillas. Suggestions?

On the one hand, Are You Afraid of the Dark and Goosebumps hold up great.

On the other hand, my parents took me to see the first 15 minutes of Ghostbusters when I was like 5 (the library scene is straight horror, no comedy), my grandmother let me watch CHUD at about the same time, and my sister's favorite films growing up were Gremlins and Jaws. Enjoy A Serbian Film.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

It doesn't disprove your point or anything but this reminded me of this :perfect: anecdote:

https://www.moms.com/the-nun-themed-birthday-party-for-lucia-3-years-old/

quote:

Lucia doesn’t typically watch horror movies, she felt a connection to The Nun. "I know people see 'The Nun' and get scared, but Lucia tells her mom that nun is protecting her," she said.

They need to move out of that house asap.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

This almost looks... okay? But man, probably shouldn't have been made and it's impossible to tell the point they're trying to make with it. Are they just doing it because they can or what?

https://mobile.twitter.com/HelloAndrew/status/1283913959393898501

They've clarified, because they're getting roasted. That says it's satire, and there are some Twitter posts calling it a comedy, but it's completely their fault that the trailer doesn't convey that at all.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

What are some examples for competent experts/helpful law enforcement in horror movies?

Opening scene of Jason Goes to Hell

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Bad Ben Pandemic was posted on Friday.

https://m.facebook.com/BadBenMovie/

For better and worse, it's exactly what you'd expect - 90 minutes of Tom Riley cursing at people on Zoom as they reenact their favorite horror movie scenes and get demon-donged followed by multiverse insanity

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

https://boxd.it/8r9VM

Here is my list of confirmed films, or basically films I've managed to find copies of so far. The Africa leg of the tour is currently limited to one Nigerian film and one Tunisian film, which sucks.

Darkside Magazine did a feature on the first horror movie from every country in the world about a year ago. Assuming I can find it, I'll scan in the morning. Whether you'll be able to find any of them is another matter.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Happy Haunting!

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

JordanKai posted:

The Babysitter Part 2 consists of good kills and bad humour. Unfortunately, humour makes up a really big part of the film. Can't say I enjoyed it on the whole. :(

Meh. There's 3 decapitations in a row. Mix it up a little.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Splint Chesthair posted:

Hammer movies had such great endings. They would light a house on fire and within 60 seconds the credits were rolling.

Not Hammer, but I watched the 60's, British Witchcraft last night and this is exactly what happens.

feedmyleg posted:

What are some top Tales from the Darkside eps? Monsters or macabre, ideally.

Trick or treat
Answer Me
Ursa Minor

Sono fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 3, 2020

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

weekly font posted:

If any of you have good Tubi deep cuts please share xoxo

Master Minds will instantly brighten up your month.

I'm spending most of the month in black and white and have started off with Tubi's selections. Also great: Witchcraft (Chaney, 1963) and The Most Dangerous Game. I've been on a Lugosi binge, and The Devil Bat is the best of those.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

It's a philosophical question. For slashers, their weapon is their phallus, so it's either a question of who has the biggest phallus or who's compensating the most.

Michael Myers mostly uses small weapons; I think the biggest weapons he's used are a grain scythe and a pitchfork in Halloween 5: Michael's Hootenanny Hayride. Jason likes machetes, axes, and spearguns. It's either very big or very small dick energy depending on your point of view.

By this logic, Freddy has five dicks.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

[25] The 30's were a revolutionary time for on-screen terror. Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff - absolute legends. But instead of watching them strut their stuff for the thousandth time, let's check out something from the decade to NOT feature either star.

This is a lot easier than you'd think. The key term is "race film," made for black audiences when theaters were segregated.

I watched this recently. It's fine, albeit all over the place and really doesn't fit a modern definition of horror (it's a crime movie), but that applies to a lot of 30's "horror" films outside of the classics.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

weekly font posted:

I dont remember if its a setting or a PC mod (probably the latter) but there’s a way to turn off the handful of pace and tone breaking, out of nowhere, feels like they were forced by the publisher, stealth sections.

At least on PS4, it's a setting at the start of the game, and the options have petulant names like "Play with the monsters on because that's the way the game was designed" and "I'm a giant baby."

I found half the encounters gripping and half annoying, which is pretty much how I felt about the game as a whole.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Maybe this helps, maybe it doesn't, but here's the top 200+ on Amazon Prime US, via Average Ratings on Letterboxd.

3 of the top 16 horror movies on Prime are Gamera? is really neat. He is made of turtle meat.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

M_Sinistrari posted:

Too many lines from that one are still in my head. And still my favorite scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzHKwhrN1Lg

Is Student Bodies the spoof that starts with a title card along the lines of "This movie is based on a true story: Horror movies make a lot of money."?

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

So I'm watching Witchboard on Shudder as background noise and just realized that Kevin Tenney straight up lifted an entire scene from himself in Night of the Demons 3. The "I didn''t know [this town] had a homicide division." "I'm it. Also the bomb squad and the truancy division." is, I think, word for word, and the homicide investigator gives very similar speeches about magic and Vegas, although he references Sigmund and Roy in the former and David Copperfield in the latter.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Harminoff posted:

Help I stumbled onto Tubi and can't stop watching these horrible b horror movies. )What's your favorite?)

This one is pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2HgzixB8SU

This somehow made it onto my Letterboxd watchlist and I threw it on on Halloween after wrapping up the challenges: Awful "me, my friends, and my camera" film where absolutely everything is green screened, including "man walks through woods" and the vampire staking at the end, and the vampire staking footage is both out of perspective and out of sync.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Home Alone is a horror film, I will not be taking further questions

Home Alone is a CHUD prequel and a remake of All Monsters Attack.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Halloween Ends and Final Destination 6 are the same movie. When people try to flee from Michael, they end up getting Rube Goldberg'd to death.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Laurie is going to find out that Michael died from his wounds at the end of Kills, go berserk, see a kid in a particular clown costume, and shoot up a school.

Flashbacks will retcon the entire series (serieses?) to show that Laurie was the bad guy all along.

Sono fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 8, 2022

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I watched Phantom of the Mall: Eric's Revenge tonight since it went up on Shudder recently. It's incredibly stupid, and one of the worst riffs of Phantom of the Opera I've ever seen. It has Pauly Shore in a supporting role, and a snake in a bathroom.

It whips, 4/5 stars.

If you love incredibly stupid movies with bathroom reptiles, be sure to check out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yQ3ACRN1pE.

Because I need to share the suffering.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Witchcraft 2
Witchcraft 16
Witchcraft 3
Witchcraft
Actually being murdered by witches
The other 12

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Yeah this looks awesome

It is. I need to get around to the sequels at some point.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Jedit posted:

Paging m_sinistrari and associated masochists to the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krLf0Zjx3Ac&t=13s

But I haven't even had the chance to watch Amityville in Space yet.

Phy posted:

What movie did you watch as a kid that showed you really just brutal violence or disturbing concepts? Doesn't need to be a horror movie per se, and I think it's more fun if it isn't, but if you caught one of the Freddy movies real early on and it scarred you for life, go ahead anyway.

My parents took me to Ghostbusters when I was 4. I made it to the library scene. This is my earliest memory.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

MrMojok posted:

I should also add that the novel this movie was based on is called Thor (by Wayne Smith) and the entire story is told from the POV of the dog. It is awesome.

I read it recently and it owns. The movie butchers the book, and I have no idea why they took out half the family. There are scenes, including the opening, where Marial Hemingway is playing the mom and the dad simultaneously.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Children of Sin on Tubi is everything I wanted They/Them to be. It's not particularly good, but it is very slashy.

Shark Side of the Moon is possibly a werewolf movie. If werewolves are allowed to be organized, Soviet, and sharks. It's bad.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

It's an Asylum movie.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

• Must have wolf head with chompy-chompy jaws.
  • Triple jointed legs, like a wolf. I need some loving paws on this too.
  • Ability to run on all fours is a big ol' plus but is sufficiently difficult to do that I understand severe production limitations. Ideally at least implied to be possible, minimum.
  • gently caress off huge claws. (Can't remember this not being done off-hand, but just to be clear.)

These are just my own thoughts from huffing farts, feel free to argue with me. I welcome someone advocating for dude-face werewolf so I can see them articulate why on earth they'd prefer that over a big darn biting snout animatronic.

I'm not going to argue for dude-face, but my made-up rule is that transforming into a regular wolf, even a really big one, is going too far, and running on four legs is pushing it.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Watched Bad Moon and it was pretty great, but I kinda disappointed myself. I dont know how, but I got it in my head that the dog would get bit by the werewolf and then turn into a wereman and help fight the werewolf. Going in, I thought that was what this movie was going to be about. Even tho it was a good movie, I couldnt help but be let down cause that seems like an interesting idea. Does any movie exist like this, or am I crazy?

No, but there's a book - Howling Mad by Peter David

MrMojok posted:

You guys who enjoyed Bad Moon really should read the book it’s based on.

The whole thing is told from Thor’s point of view, and it’s awesome.

Also read this. The book is Thor by Wayne Smith.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Dark Night of the Scarecrow on Tubi woot!

They also have a growing list of the Universal Classics - Dracula & Son, Frankenstein & Bride, first Mummy, first Creature - that have been popping up every couple of days.

Did NBC Universal transfer the rights or does Peacock just suck so bad that they don't put their own movies on it?

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Monster Squad is not scary but if you have a young boy, he will DEFINITELY learn some new things to say from that movie.

Source: Was young boy, talked about nards a lot

Was young boy, assaulted a werewolf at a haunted house. Yes, there.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

So no one watched the munsters huh

I’m the only one.

I made it through and thought it was fine. Possibly because there was so much anti-hype that I thought it was going to be absolutely abysmal. It's not physically painful as when watching something like...

Iron Crowned posted:

Against my better judgement, I'm watching Pumpkinhead 4 on Tubi, a movie I didn't know existed until today.

My condolences.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Jeepers!

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Ambitious Spider posted:

Creature is the only one that I don't love, but that's because it's a fifties creature feature and I prefer spooky haunted castles

The Creature sequels are also the bottom tier of Universal Monsters. Unless you count Invisible Agent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Invisible Man is consistently great:

Raines in the first one kills it with the descent into madness.

Price hits the same beats, but he's sympathetic, knowing the consequences, still taking the potion, and suffering for it.

Invisible Woman is a great comedy, and I'm shocked that the censors didn't do anything about the fact that she needs to be drunk and naked to be invisible.

We won't talk about the one where the invisible man fights Nazis by hiding under a bed for the entire movie.

Revenge is weird because it portrays Jon Hall as so villainous when the antagonists tried to murder him in cold blood twice. I love it, but perhaps I'm more willing to read him as an anti-hero than most.

The Abbott & Costello flick is second rate, but second rate (Invisible, Jeckyll) is a 9.5 instead of a 10 (Frankenstein, Mummy).