Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Franchescanado posted:

Nathan Ballingrud's short story collection North American Lake Monsters is pretty neat. It's not overtly scary, but every story involves horrific monsters without being pulpy.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid is pretty spooky. The term "Lynchian" is thrown around too loosely, but it's pretty appropriate for that novel.

The Haunting of Hill House by Jackson is a no-brainer rec, but I assume every horror fan has read that one. Same with Turning of the Screw by Henry James.

I really enjoyed North American Lake Monsters and would recommend The Imago Sequence by Laird Barron as another good short story collection full of existential dread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

We're closing in on 2020 so the question is:

What's the worst mainstream horror film of the decade?

The Snowman - 2017
Truth or Dare - 2018
Game Night - 2018

Three horror movies I wish I had never seen in a theater or anywhere else.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

does anyone know where I can watch One Cut of the Dead? It doesn't appear to be streaming anywhere, I don't have a region free player, and the US blu-ray is over $50...

interesting, I'll add that to the list as well

https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3545491/uk-blu-ray-release-one-cut-dead-region-free-might-want-grab/

According to this article the UK blu-ray is region free. I just got one recently but I won’t be able to test it till this weekend if you are interested.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

mikeycp posted:

it's absolutely worth it

Oh yeah, I am really glad Shudder is going to be streaming it. Such a fun movie from start to finish.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

I agree 100%; I thought that would be let loose and things would turn to a survival film but nope.

I thought the editing, music, and sound effects in that movie was terrible. It felt like someone’s first webpage design with flashy banners and obnoxious music. I couldn’t tell what tone they were going for and the plot was a mess. At times it felt like they were on the verge of greatness but just couldn’t execute.

Interestingly, I tried giving the movie 1/5 stars but looks like Shudder deleted my review or are hiding low ratings for their exclusive films.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

I really like Shudder but they just tried to double bill me and customer support says they have no evidence that they did. Highly recommend checking that you aren’t get billed twice by them.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Seriously, when was the last one that did that? I can't think of any off top of my head.

The Noonday Witch (2016) was mostly in the sun. Pretty good movie overall, more of a physiological horror than supernatural.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

I tried to watching The ABCs of Death tonight and gave up at L or M I think. What a hot mess of shorts.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Am I the only one who thought the Suspiria remake was kind of bad? So many people, ones I generally consider having good taste have said it's great and I just don't get it. Thought it was extremely corny and pretentious.

None the plots worked for me and that type of crazy ending didn’t feel earned. The final dance scene was poorly edited and distracted with a non dancing character, so you really couldn’t tell if it was any good. (Climax knows how to make a killer dance sequence) I did laugh at Dakota’s makeup for that scene made her look like an angry bird. I doubt anyone would still be talking about it if it didn’t have the Suspiria name.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

ozebane posted:

Everyone in this thread needs to go watch The Perfection on netflix. I make no promises for quality, but it is utterly ridiculous. A real 'go in blind or not at all' kinda film.

The Perfection totally works for me. The director said in Q&A that part of the movie was inspired by a real life terror of being basically trapped on a bus in Mexico with diarrhea.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

I can’t wait to watch Brightburn so I can read this thread. Feels like a lots of stuff could use a spoiler tag.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Sucrose posted:

You could get most all this info just from the trailers.

edit: But I went back and spoiler tagged my post.

Thanks, I never saw a trailer for this either :shrug:

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Agree, but also add In Fabric

https://youtu.be/biHUTtV4K40

Has anyone watched STARFISH yet? Curious about the thread's thoughts on it. It just dropped on VOD i think.

I really enjoyed Starfish and feel like it’s worth checking out. It’s a sort of a last person on earth mixed with some Lovecraft. I also liked how music was used in it.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hiiiiiiighly recommended. Hits blu ray on June 4th, hoping shudder picks up the streaming rights

Do I have some good news for you, premiers June 20th on Shudder.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

I thought Brightburn was fun. Great kills, creepy kid and R rating helps a lot. I guess I was in the mood for something simple and have a few laughs. I had a full theater so people’s reaction to the gore was fun too.

When the mom is looking his drawings at the end, there’s a toy, stuffed frog that looks like it’s been dissected. Is that a real thing or did the boy make it? Neat little touch.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Liquid Sky, Wow, I didn’t know I needed to see this but I did. Amazing grimy, 80s New York setting. Basketcase meets Neon Demon? I don’t know how else to describe it.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

I might have missed the earlier recommendations but The Devil Inside on Netflix is really good. Imagine a religious horror/possession movie, set in a rainy Indonesian jungle. Worth checking out.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

You're recommending the movie that ends with "go to our lovely website to see the ending"?

God dammit, I meant May the Devil Take You.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Two horrific faux pas in one page. Goodness no, this won't do at all!

Going to see The Devil Inside in theaters is just one of many mistakes I’ve made.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Has there never been a horror movie featuring someone working the late shift at a gas station? Seems like a good setup for some When A Stranger Calls type scares.

Open 24 Hours is exactly that. Was in festivals last year but hasn’t made it to streaming yet. Hopefully it will get some distribution, I thought it was pretty good.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Boar is worth watching for John Jarrett alone

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

I’m so much of a poser that I can’t tell when directors are pandering to me.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Adlai Stevenson posted:

When I was a kid I was in the back seat of the family car when we got into an accident. Nothing major, just shaken up in the end. I still spent a few hours in the hospital to get checked up and to make sure my brain wasn't melting. While the family was trying to rally up and all get together I was taken to my grandparents' house to rest for the remainder of the day. My grandmother was insistent on following the doctor's orders to make sure I had plenty of fluids, a cool room to rest in, no TV, and absolutely no fatty foods. As soon as she rattled off these requirements my grandfather burst through the front door with a Bigfoot pizza from Pizza Hut.

If the advertising for a movie doesn't make me feel as happy as I was in that moment as a child who just wanted to eat pizza and feel better, then I don't feel properly pandered to.

Exactly, except the pizza needs to eat Grandma.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Wow, I loved Knife+Heart. Amazing lighting and costumes. Really doesn’t have any flaws, but it’s very much a giallo movie so that might turn people off. Great performance by Vanessa Paradis too. Don’t sleep on this one. 5 of 5 golden mouths.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

gently caress yeah it is i was really impressed with it. The only "neo-giallo" ive seen that actually nailed both the neo and the giallo.

Have you seen Piercing? I really liked it, and while it nailed the music; I don’t think it fits as a “new-giallo” as much as the marketing hyped it up to be.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

LUZ is finally getting a national release sometime on or around July 19th and it's insanely good. Give it your money if you can, it's the director's debut feature and you'd never know it.

https://youtu.be/aVOKQQ68NjM

So excited to watch this again! Don’t sleep on this one.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Demons, Fright Night, and Creepshow are all extremely good recommendations. Don't think I can top those.

Was gonna recommend Night of the Comet but I see it's no longer free on Prime. Bastards.

Night of the Comet is free on Tubi right now. Did a fun double feature this week with Lifeforce and Night of the Comet.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

How much threat of drowning is there/how many scenes of someone drowning are there?

I meant to post comment last night after see it. Spoilers for anyone interested in Crawl.

A character gets trapped, literally drowns, has to be revived, and coughs up a bunch of water. The typical movie drowning

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

I loved the dancing and the second half. The almost none stop music made it a good movie to see in theaters.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Climax felt extremely real to me as it was.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

I want to thank everyone for explaining there is an extended scene in Climax where everything is normal and you're watching other people pretend to be high, because I forgot what parties in 8th grade were like.

That’s one hell of an 8th grade party.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

The Senator Giroux posted:

I always thought of this as the best rap sampling horror

Also why has no rapper sampled the Deep Red theme? It slaps.

Lol, are you in for a treat

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Ghost ship is boring as gently caress, just like every haunted house movie.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

:eyepop: that's quite the hot take

I mean Ghost Ship does suck but some of the best horror films of all time are haunted house movies:

The Haunting
The Innocents
The Changeling
Hausu
The Devil's Backbone

among others

Definitely stirring the pot, but more often than not I just don’t enjoy ghost/haunting movies. The Devil’s Backbone is good but a lot of that comes from the setting and living characters and less from the ghost. The Changeling is exactly the kind of ghost movie I don’t like. I just get so bored with ghosts doing mundane things, turning on lights, making noises etc. Give me a more supernatural horror or something deadly where there’s higher stakes for the characters.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Vampire’s Kiss is the only one you need to see

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

I really liked Southbound. Extra happy that I closed my eyes during trailer for Ready or Not.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Zalher keeps casting Vince Vaughn as a tough guy and imo that’s enough of a reason to skip Brawl and Dragged. Bone Tomahawk is really good though.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

Still not sure if I like or hate that movie.

How could you watch more than 15 minutes of that?

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Any fans here of Joe Begos? He has two movies so far, The Mind’s Eye and Almost Human, both are sci-fi horror with lots of blood. What I enjoyed most was the pacing, a steady escalation of violence and body count. Both movies have generic plots and his writing is really awkward. But I can overlook this for an exciting movie. Mind’s Eye is streaming for free on Tubi and worth checking out. Begos has two new movies coming out in the next year and he has a lot of potential as a horror director.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

He's a great guy and I want him to succeed but if I'm being honest I don't like his execution. He's got a ton of ideas but in my opinion has never been able to bring them off properly. That said I'm fully aware I mighty be in the minority on those two films because practically everyone I know loves them. I just think Panos just blew straight past him in the current retro cosmic horror trend.

Oh yeah Panos is on while other level. I feel like Begos is doing less of the cosmic horror and more of a exciting/weird experience.