Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What's David Bruckner up to now? I keep finding myself wishing I could watch The Ritual again for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Okay, inspired by Death Spa:

Maybe my favorite horror scene is the "let's go to a paranormal expert" scene. What are the best ones? Dick Miller and the occult bookstore in The Howling is what springs to mind for me. That or the entire second half of Fright Night.

Maybe just because alien abduction is my jam but I liked the bit in Dark Skies where the expert is a frequent abductee played by JK Simmons. Partly because, duh, it's JK Simmons, but also because of the reason why Simmons' character has a few cats in his apartment. Dogs can sense the aliens and bark their heads off like they do in Terminator, cats don't really care about them so they won't narc a Grey out. The aliens still come for Simmons every now and then, and he's so resigned to it he moved to an apartment that doesn't allow dogs. That way he can get some sleep before they take him.

Phy fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 26, 2019

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Recently got a Prime subscription and catching up on spooky poo poo I'd been wanting to see (and/or rewatch since it left Netflix)

Splice: I'm still mad about the cat and those people should never have had children

The Void: Holy poo poo what a hoot. It's not often I catch myself thinking "This is so gross and creepy that it's really well done" (turn on your monitor) but The Void got me. Love the practical effects.

The Vast of Night: Not really horror but I will always stan for UFO films. I was kind of annoyed at how it used the mythical 50's small-town America setting almost completely straight-faced but I guess that's not the story it wanted to tell. The UFO bits were right up my alley though. I still thought it was ultimately a better film than The Fourth Kind, which I'd seen before and rewatched just before it.

The Lighthouse: HARRRRRRRRRK! I imagine everything that could be said about it has already been said, so I guess my biggest impression was that it reminded me a lot of Midsommar, despite the wild difference in plot, setting, and cinematography. And it's not just that both were the second releases, in 2019, from horror directors who had their first feature films get lots of good press. Maybe it's the themes of isolation and slowly escalating madness?

It's getting to the point where I could put together a decent UFO Movie Day, with Vast, Signs, Dark Skies, Fourth Kind, Close Encounters, one of the 3 or 4 mid-2010s found footage Area 51 movies, and heck, maybe the first X-Files movie, but I'd be happy to hear suggestions.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

You need the incident at Lake County as well.

Yes you could do the McPherson tape but I prefer the remake sorry.

I'll look that one up, thank you!

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Signs is probably the best horror movie involving aliens, is undoubtedly M. Night Shammy's masterpiece, and that's yet another hill that I'll gladly go to my crucifixion on.

I love Signs and I treasure how much it freaked me out the first time I saw it. Not just the cornfield scenes and "It's behind" but that scene where they're all holding up the baby monitor. Doesn't hurt that watching Joaquin Phoenix use a grey's head as a teeball was rather therapeutic. I'm not about to let the water thing ruin that for me.

CelticPredator posted:

I’m so obsessed with UFOs right now but I need good new UFO content and that is so hard to find.

Biggest issue is no one shows the drat aliens.

If you haven't caught Dark Skies yet, please do. I lost a night of sleep to it, and I still have to stop myself from thinking about it when I'm in the shower or walking through the house when the lights aren't on. (YMMV of course.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

I think the purpose of it is to be a "disturbing movies" chart rather than an "essential horror" chart. Films like Pink Flamingos, Come and See, Men Behind the Sun, Salo, Irreversible, etc. are often included on these lists despite not being horror.

It's like it's fixated on the definition of "horror" per the horror/terror dichotomy, so like images or scenes that are horrifying to view rather than a mounting sense of dread

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

It seems wrong to put so much discussion behind Communion and not link it's scarring abomination of a cover-

My mom was an alien freak and she also had a wild sense of humor. When I was ~8 I'd return from school to find this loving grey smiling at me when I opened the door, multiple times.

I'd plead with her to stop, but she found it too funny and now thirty years later I can't look at a grey without feeling wrong.

A horror film hasn't sincerely scared me in years, but every time I see one of these little smiling fuckers my pulse quickens and I become sentimental.

A year or so ago, when my av was just Philippe from Achewood, I had been talking in another thread about how greys were my "thing", like, some people are afraid of clowns, some of snakes, some of spiders, etc, I have those bastards. The next day, I posted, and when I looked at my post, someone had pasted the Communion Grey over top of my av and I had about five seconds of "WHAT THE gently caress"

This is gonna sound like me going "Im not owned, im not owned", but it was honestly a delightful scare and I still applaud whoever did it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

The mothman is a really creepy cryptid.

The Richard Gere movie had a good soundtrack. I remember noticing my dad had the CD in the car once and having to re-evaluate my perception of his tastes in music.

(He also likes Billie Eilish.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

I always thought it was weird how a relatively obscure and weird cryptid from the US caught on in Japan.

IIRC Japan also apparently latched onto the classic Adamski-type UFO as "what UFOs look like"

The one that was faked from a surgical lamp

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm no rat biologists but surely that would only start taking affect once you have a rat larger than currently existing huge animals like elephants which would be a pretty big rat. Even just a rat the size of a golden retriever, something probably more feasible than an elephant sized rat, would be absolutely gargantuan by rat standards.

Semi related:
The Blue Whale is not only the largest animal in existence (as far as we know) but the largest animal to ever exist.

But of course sea creatures admittedly play by different rules than landlubbers.

Ok, so, we do have rats (well, rodents) right now that are the size of a golden retriever. Capybaras are chill as gently caress and seem to be able to be friends with a wide variety of other animals, including some of the predators that eat them.

Oxygen content in the atmosphere may have contributed to prehistoric gigantism - both the Mesozoic, with its dinosaurs, and the Carboniferous period with its enormous insects, featured high oxygen content - but it's not the only driver. Cold climate also selects for larger animals, as does a lack of predation, and the post-Cretaceous fossil record is littered with mammals that, while never as big as the biggest dinosaurs, were still pretty huge.

The largest known terrestrial mammal, Paraceratherium, was the size of a small sauropod (ie the brontosaurus-style dinosaurs). Oxygen content when it was alive was closer to what it is now.

The largest rodent we know about was the size of a bull.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tarnop posted:

The B*ob (1988)

Beware of The B*ob, it creeps
And leaps and glides and slides
Across the floor
Right through the door

And all around the wall
A splotch, a blotch
Be careful of The B*ob

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Watch The Ritual instead. It's similar and 100 times better.
The Ritual is one of those movies I wish I could watch it for the first time again

I imagine between that and Midsommar there's a bunch of Swedes wondering what the hell we think goes on in their country

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ok, #1, poo poo I did not pick up on that at all when I read the first book back in uni. Always meant to retry reading those. But #2... what's with that second moon

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I mean if you're going to subject someone to The Silmarillion, just play Nightfall in Middle-Earth

Wisdom

(of course, listening to Nightfall, you don't get a very good idea of which elf is screwing over who, and what horrible fate bewaits them because of it... But this is also true of reading the Silmarillion)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Alien Isolation

Ooh yeah good call. I never played it but I watched a goon's LP a couple of times, it's very much in the vein of the first movie, you're on a space station that looks like it was built by General Motors in the 1970s and you're being hunted by just one xenomorph. (The station is also full of raging libertarians and killer androids, and is slowly falling into a gas giant. It's a good time!)

I think it had a couple bits on the Nostromo as dlc including the self-destruct escape sequence... Don't remember if you had to pick up Jonesy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If the end credits aren't set to loving Dragula I will fight everybody on the way out of the theater

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

In my western idea I forgot to mention that the cows would be replaced by engineers. A huge herd of buff dudes moseying around, crossing rivers, and mooing

The cold open is the predators defending their herd of marble statue men from the British Museum

gently caress off, you can't have them, you stole enough

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

I really enjoyed the the block island sound on Netflix. Although I think the film did itself a disservice by explicating stating what the antagonist was. I would have preferred to speculate about it.

Oh yeah I saw that this weekend, thought it was a lot of fun. The conclusions about the antagonist wouldn't have been too hard to draw even if they didn't explicitly call back to that line of dialogue, because I've certainly heard it stated that way before. Apparently all filmed on location (though one of the locations was LA)

Also I don't remember if they stated this in the movie, but, if you didn't grow up on the east coast (or playing Billy Joel's Downeaster Alexa on repeat because you're a weird kid who likes mournful ballads about the collapse of fisheries), Block Island Sound is the stretch of water between Block Island and the mainland. So the title is a pun. The Block Island Sound is what the victims hear over the radio, kinda like the Taos Hum.

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 17, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Braindead 4: Live Free or Brain Dead

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Watch Stalker instead of Annihilation. Watch From Beyond instead of Color Out of Space.

Can I watch Stalker AND Annihilation? And while I'm on a Russian SF kick, both versions of Solaris?

e: Stanislaw Lem is Polish, my bad

I wouldn't be too surprised if Color Out Of Space got yanked from netflix over this.

Phy fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 18, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

There's also some 80's action movies that are very gory, like Total Recall and Robocop.

It's been a long-rear end time since I've seen Robocop, but it does have that scene where Red Foreman drives over a mutant, who explodes into raspberry jam

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alehkhs posted:

Speaking of creepy houses, The Night House is supposedly coming out this July, after premiering at Sundance 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tshycci2ZA&t=6s

:neckbeard: at that pillar/negative space gag

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

The only example that immediately comes to mind is Insidious, because they say it in the trailer.

That's weird now you say that, because I'm reminded that poltergeists are meant to haunt people and not places, but Poltergeist was explicitly because they built the house on top of a graveyard

(Incidentally I've always liked the joke about all of America being built on an Indian burial ground/sacred lands)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Canadian Netflix got in Happy Death Day 2 U, so gonna watch that sometime this weekend

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

And for another post about a movie that isn't horror but is relevant to this thread:

Robot Jox is loving awesome.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

If you didn't watch poo poo like Suburban Commando and garbage like that as a kid

All I remember from that was the alien bounty hunter (who was the loving Undertaker) pointing at Hulk and going, in a funny little kid's overdubbed voice, "YOW A DEAD MAN, WAMSEY!"

e: I would not call Happy Death Day 2 U a horror movie. Enjoyed it though!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

to this day the best thing that ever happened to me on this forum

Also: military horror? Just watched Overlord and Dog Soldiers back to back and want more

Ghosts of War exists, it was alright

e: are we counting Dead Snow?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

It’s just machine imagery mixed with organics.

Right, like, you see how this image suggests bones n skulls, but also some of the bones look like coilover shocks, or exhaust manifolds, or old-timey steam radiators for apartments?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The X-Files episode where Mulder and Scully moved to the suburbs had a tulpa that was the reified tyranny of the neighbourhood HOA. One of the more ahead-of-its-time eps imo

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sorry if this is too basic

Zombieland 1&2
Happy Death Day
The Babysitter
Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness
John Dies At The End
Mom and Dad (funny, not feel-good)

Death Becomes Her, maybe?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I'd rather sit through the Final Destination series

I would actually like to do this

get some tony todd menace goin

all I have on my streaming poo poo right now is final destination 5 though

e: Dark Skies is back on Netflix and part of me wants to watch it again and part is like "you, a grown rear end man in your late 30s, slept with the lights on after you saw that the first time"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

R.L. Stine posted:

There are pretty few horror movies that actually keep me thinking well after the movie's over, and for some reason Dark Skies is one of them. Maybe it's the alien thing, when I was a kid I was constantly having nightmares about abductions, probably the result of reading every possible alien abduction book I could find at the library. They really truly terrified me and watching Dark Skies was like reliving all those nightmares again. The scene with the dad rhythmically slamming the shotgun on the floor? Amazing.

If there are any other movies out there that hit the same, I'd love recommendations. Not quite full blown sci-fi but more grounded alien-based psychological poo poo. I've seen all the obvious ones already: The Fourth Kind, Fire in the Sky, the McPherson Tape (and Incident in Lake County), V/H/S, Signs (lol), Santa Claus Conquers the Martians... etc.

Yeah, I'm that way about greys too - I distinctly remember reading about alien abductions as a kid, and seeing the pictures that people had drawn of greys while under hypnotic recall, and I just felt the pit of my stomach drop out. So Dark Skies in particular was like custom-made to give me the jibblies

My favorite part is when the family is talking to JK Simmons, playing a former (and current) abductee, and he tells them to get a dog if they want to know if there's aliens in the house, because cats won't narc them out. JK Simmons gets abducted often enough that he only has cats, because that way he can at least get some sleep without the doggos going nuts. Which was a great detail for someone with two cats himself...

As for other alien-centric movies, you've hit many of the big ones that I'm aware of. Close Encounters counts! I used to have to cover my eyes at the end when all the greys come pouring out the ship. I have yet to see the McPherson Tape but it's on my list. I will always go to bat for Signs (lol) despite the water thing and starring Mel Gibson.

Check out The Vast of Night, it's not particularly scary but it is a good UFO flick, with some neat oners. There's a couple movies where alien abduction is the twist, so I'm putting those titles in spoilers: The Block Island Sound, which I've seen and enjoyed, and The Forgotten, which I haven't seen. And a handful of found footage flicks about Area 51, of which I thought Phoenix Forgotten and Oren Peli's Area 51 were the most striking.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Tonight's theme: The Lodge, The Rental, The Retreat

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Anyway, everybody watch Robot Jox.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Addams Family Values--1993

Wikipedia says Needful Things was 93, how was that?

Carnosaur was also 93 and that had Kaiden from Mass Effect fighting a mutant chicken with a Bobcat... I remember renting it in 94 and thinking it was crap but also kind of awesome

Also lol that it got closer to how you would actually create non-avian dinosaurs than Jurassic Park did

As for the Addamses, while they are creepy, kooky, mysterious and spooky, the closest that movie gets to scary is what Wednesday does to the extremely honkey summer camp, and fuckin good on her for that one, I say

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Not better than Addams Family Values? What type of question is this?

Alright, fair enough!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Paranormal Activity
The Mist
Final Destination (the first one feels like a technicality cause I feel like it's p much a 90s teen horror film but it did come out in 2000)

2009 alone had Drag Me To Hell, The Fourth Kind, and Zombieland

And that's setting aside the trend of Japanese remakes like The Ring and The Grudge

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Army of Darkness, Day of the Dead, The Creature Walks Among Us, Paranormal Activity 3...

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

(I know it's not horror I just love Last Crusade)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is Dourif method? I know he has that story about how he kept the English accent he used for Wormtongue through the entire filming of LOTR, and dropped it immediately after his last shot, and then Bernard Hill (Theoden) thought he was doing a terrible American accent as a joke or something

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
From the Procedural Generation thread in PYF:

feedmyleg posted:

Used AI Dungeon to generate some horror movie titles that never existed. It's a great mix of really creepy and evocative titles alongside really silly ones:

quote:

A Nice Day For A White Execution
The Hands That Counted The Dead
Pranks Of The Living Dead
Hell's Hired Guards
If The Shoe FITS, Then Kill Him
The Last Laugh Of Man Is Death! (The Movie!)
The Dead Girl from Mars
No Sun, No Moon, The Devil's Dead
The Ghost Who Turned to Ash
The Ghoulery of Satan
Slave To The Hellbound Train
The Corpse with the Hands of a God
The Hands That Live Inside The Graveyards
A Bunch of Heads
It's Hell Train Time
Satan's Snow Machine
Shoot First, Kill Later
Ghoulies... In 3D!
Ghoulies... In Concert!
Highway Hobgoblin
Holy Terror! Batman's Mad!
The Many Colors of the Devil
The Hands That Scream
A Death-Ray For All Seasons
Bloodbath At Crematorium IV
Halloween II: Revenge Of Michael Myers (The Musical!)
Black Sunday 2: You've Been Rejected By Death
Black Sunday 3: Death Lives!
The Hands That Watched The World Die
Blood and Gore and Tears and Sorrows
The Castrating Car
Stab, Slice, Kill!
Suture, Dissect, Torture, Kill!
Three... Two... One... Darkness!
Small Enough to Cope, Big Enough to Stab
Take Turns Playing with the Dead
Taste of a Woman's Soul
It also got obsessed with a series of movies about "The Creeps" that are all kind of amazing. Now I'm obsessed. I have editorialized and put them in the order I think makes sense for a series of films:

quote:

The Creeps Are Here!
Return Of The Creeps
The Creeps Are Out To Get Us!
The Creeps Must Be Destroyed!
The Creeps: They Live Among You!
The Creeps: They Want You As A Host!
The Creeps: They're The Reason You Can't Fall Asleep
The Creeps: They Get Inside Through Your Eyes!
The Creeps: They're Inside Your Mom!
The Creeps: The Government Created Them!
The Creeps: The Army Can't Do Anything!
The Creeps: You Deserve A Nobel Peace Prize For Fighting Against These Monsters!
The Creeps: They've Taped Everything You've Said!
The Creeps: They're Going To Get You Even If You've Got A 100% Safe System!
The Creeps: They Were Inside You The Whole Time!
The Creeps: They Will Walk The Earth Forever And Ever And Can't Be Stopped!
The Creeps: Your Love Of Heavy Metal Is Causing This!
The Creeps: They Created A Program To Stop You By Taking Away Your Guitar!
The Creeps: This Program Is Based On Your Guitar Solos!
The Creeps: They Can Easily Get Inside Your Mind Because You Play So Well!
The Creeps: If You Want To Live, You'll Give Up Your Career And Go Into Hiding!
The Creeps: Live Or Die. Rock N' Roll Or Go Crazy. Glory Or A Mental Hospital. Your Choice!
The Creeps: You're Going To Be Placed In A Home For Unworthy Rock Stars Because Of Your Mediocre Success!
The Creeps: You Can Play In The Mental Hospital If You Want! We Can Create A Special Performance Hall Where You Can Live And Play Your Music!
The Creeps: We're Not Your Friends. We're Not Your Family. We're Not Even The Bloodthirsty Spectators At A Thrill Kill. We're The Jailors That Put You There. And We're Not Letting You Back Out. This Is Your Home Now. Your Room Is Just Down The Hall. You've Got A Few Hours To Get Used To The Idea And Your New Room And Hallways. Then We'll Lock You In For Good. Remember This Is A Psychiatric Ward. People Don't Just Go Walk In The Facilities. It's Not Like At A Jail. Attempts At Escaping Only Lead To A More Brutal Detention. So You've Been Warned. Live Or Die. Rock N' Roll Or Go Crazy. Glory Or The Psych Ward. Your Choice!
The Creeps: You're Dead!
The Creeps: But Your Music Will Live On Because It's The Best Thing Ever!
They say the series really went off the rails after the first few...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Glad y'all dig these! They were very fun to generate, I was cracking up the whole time and having fun imagining the subgenre or plot of all of them.

Shoot Now, Kill Later — a bargain-bin Eurospy flick
The Many Colors of the Devil — a no-plot snapshot of a trippy 1970s satanic cult
The Ghost Who Turned to Ash — a somber, slow, black and white, German, debatably-supernatural drama
Hell's Hired Guards — a low-budget nazisploitation flick about a cruel POW canp
Taste of a Woman's Soul — a haunting, meditative giallo, possibly about a cannibal

e: Also I imagine the titular "creeps" to be essentially ghoulies but coded as basement-dwelling toxic 4chan dweebs.

Sorry for reposting it before you could, I haven't figured out all the thread regulars yet!