Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The Eyes of My Mother
Raw
The Endless
The VVitch
Annihilation
Get Out
It Follows
A Cure For Wellness
Under the Skin
What We Do In The Shadows

Vaguely in that order, but maybe not exactly in that order. I almost put Spring on there as well but wanted to keep it to one Benson/Moorehead eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

That reminds me that I need to see Parasite

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Informally glancing through, it seems like The VVitch is the most common pick among posters for the decade though I don't think many had it in their absolute top spot.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I'll admit to preferring Midsommar to Hereditary overall, but calling Florence Pugh's performance one of the film's weakpoints is hard for me to understand. I thought she was fantastic and worth watching for her alone.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Wolf Guy kicks a lot of rear end

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Is this the thread to talk about how Wonder Woman 84 is a stealth Wishmaster sequel and how if they ever reboot the franchise Pedro Pascal would make a great genie cause it really felt like he was channeling Divoff at a few points

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Psycho Goreman was really good. great alien designs, goopy as hell, little girl killing cops. some good vore

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

i wonder what color Canthan mastery points are gonna be. we’ve done what red-orange, green, blue, purple. maybe they’ll be black or white.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

fluorescent tube kill was brutal drat lol

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Prey was great and the flying guillotine style bear trap to the face right next to the dude getting squeezed through the metal net was especially brutal. wonder if they had to tone down some of the gore though, surprisingly little blood in some scenes

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Visually looks great, a little disappointed that the trailer implies people are being sacrificed to the cenobites/they’re harvesting souls or pain versus the original, much weirder, the cenobites worship the extremes of physical sensation, consider their mission holy, only take people who have explicitly sought them out etc.

doesn’t mean it can’t be a good horror in it’s own right. i’ll definitely be watching

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

My big fear is just that we’ll get pinhead saying, like, “once we’ve harvested 1,000,000 spookylitres of pain, we’ll finally be be free and the invasion can begin” and the movie’s climax is a big blue beam of light over Detroit or whatever.

As much as the Cenobites have become canonized as horror villains, it was Frank, Julia, eventually the doctor, the human characters, who were the evil.

trailers are tough to read though. the rich dude selling people to the lament configuration for whatever the reward is could definitely make a compelling bad dude if they play it right

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I’m really surprised at how many people don’t like the main character in nu hellraiser being a grimy, hosed up dirtbag. that owns.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I’ve have a pitch for the next Hellraiser!

It should be a late 90s/early 2000s period piece where a group of middle schoolers come up against the extremes of sensation when they realize that even the black cherry Warhead flavor isn’t sour enough and they receive the Lament Configuration after, um, sending in the UPCs from the back of a bunch of candy boxes

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, "Wordsworth", it was written by Neil Gaiman with art by Dave McKean. The funny thing is that the editor of the Hellraiser comic absolutely hated it and refused to actually put it into the book until the very last issue.

I bought a collection years ago and the ones that are just tales of the puzzle box were pretty good. Then there are the ones written by Barker which introduces an opposing good guy magical force which are just goofy.

Oof yeah. Including The Harrowers, a ragtag band of good guys who had glowing golden angel weapons (including a boomerang). Honestly, in a lot of Barker's later revisiting of the Hellbound Heart mythos he has Leviathan as an unambiguously evil force and the Cenobites as just vicious demons. It's too bad.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I hope we can all agree that Thir13en Ghosts was a huge improvement over 12elve Ghosts and a return to form for the franchise.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I hadn’t watched the original Halloween until this year, I am now unshamed tho

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

King is really known for his sprawling writing and mixing in multiple weird fantastic elements into his horror, but I think the most tightly written book he ever did is a The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon which has yet to develop much of a reputation but I quite like.

It’s a small scale story about a little girl who gets separated from her family and lost in the woods and starts to see something following her, which may be a bear, might be something more, or might just be her imagination. It’s only 200 pages and just a bit more real and focused in its character work.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

wait VHS 99 comes out TOMORROW

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Reminds me that Flying Lotus’ video for Coronus, the Terminator is basically a horror short

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak4vLEBxIo4

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Hollismason posted:

What was the name of that horror movie or horror tv show where like the guy builds walls and poo poo in their house uh stuff happened. I dunno. Just a vague memory. I think it lead to someone being buried alive or something ?? I dunno.

dave made a maze?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

First ep of del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosity was ok. Pretty good but nothing really special in terms of spooks, direction, or performances. Neither of these first 2 eps though is from one of the director’s i’m really watching for so hopefully there’s so more interesting stuff as we go on.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Agreed, GdT is very charming as the Serling/Hitchcock narrator

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I think tomorrow and Friday will be the good eps.

Tomorrow we have David Prior (The Empty Man) with David S Goyer on script duty and then Ana Lily Amirpour (A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night)

Friday is Panos Cosmatos (Mandy, Beyond the Black Rainbow) followed by Jennifer Kent (Babadook)

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Hot drat The Autopsy was great. Exactly what I was hoping for out the Cabinet of Curiosities. Gross monster and some horrific eye trauma too.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Kolchak versus Kojak

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

My clown is also named Ort

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

lmao at Crispin Glover pronouncing “sorceress” in Pickman’s Model

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Final Cabinet rankings:

1. The Autopsy
2. The Outside
3. The Viewing
4. The Murmuring
5. Dreams In The Witch House
6. Graveyard Rats
7. Lot 36
8. Pickman’s Model

But it was a very strong series with no outright misses.

The lesson? Your horror short should probably start with “the”

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

worms butthole guy posted:

Just watched the Exorcist for the first time. Hold up well. The sequels worth watching?

You’ll get mixed opinions on 2 and an extreme hell yeah, brother on 3

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

the MILF slasher market is woefully underserved

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Night of the Demons 2 is also dope and Quentin Tarantino/Robert Rodriguez totally ripped it off for the wacky holy arsenal preparation montage in Dusk til Dawn

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The “D is for Deloused” segment in ABCs of Death 2 is spooky as heck stop motion. Same dude who did The Cat With Hands.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

There are too many 2022 movies I don't have access to yet to pick a favorite this year, but at the top of my list the ones I really loved so far are Barbarian, Nope, Resurrection, Hatching, and Watcher.

More people should watch Hatching. I think it flew under this thread’s radar for the most part

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The horror thread is getting weirdly misogynistic, drat!

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

1984 I’m gonna say Company of Wolves. It’s low on scares but it’s just so unique snd stylish and has some of the best and most varied werewolf transformations put to screen and really tries hard to capture some of the weird specificity that turns up in folklore and fairy tale

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Really hard to pick between Demons, Reanimator, and the Stuff but i’m gonna shout out The Stuff because Michael Moriarty is such a charming scumbag and the energy in that film is really rarely matched.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I have an odd and probably undeserved soft spot for Angel Heart on account of the noir and De Niro’s dangerous levels of ham.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Gonna give it to Hellraiser II which I actually prefer to the original (love the labyrinth, love the skinless effects). Shout out to Evil Dead Trap which I got exposed to when a bunch of people watched it for this year’s October challenge and is pleasantly batshit 80s J-horror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

WeaponX posted:

There is one clear choice for me....

https://youtu.be/DF24lyzxFSo

The one objectively correct answer in this entire exercise :swoon: