Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

1993 goes to Body Bags almost exclusively for the Hair segment. Don’t trust David Warner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

how many movies is Mia Goth gonna make this year???

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

DEMON KNIGHT

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The Frighteners is a LOT of fun. You know what, I’m due for a rewatch.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Another one that’s not purestrain horror but for 2000: Shadow of the Vampire. Ginger Snaps is great though!

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

count me in for the chorus of Mulhollands Drive

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Tell you what, I won’t call Dreamcatcher a great movie but I kinda enjoy the mess and it’s one of the earliest big boy horror movies I saw in theaters as a teenager

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Definitely Martyrs for me but this was a strong year for modern horror. Gotta highlight The Ruins, Repo!, Splinter, and Midnight Meat train on top of the frontrunners for the year

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Coraline for me, but this reminds me that I still need to sit down and watch Occult.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Trollhunter because more horror monsters should be able to smell Christians

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

no Chillerama fans in the house I see

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Huh, I might give this year to V/H/S 2 on the strength of Safe Haven.

Only Lovers is definitely great, and is the only Jarmusch film I really enjoy

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Green Inferno sucks because it’s a chud screed against liberals and young people, not because it’s too gross or mean spirited with the horror

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

iirc Tarantino wanted Adam Sandler for the Bear Jew role, which I can actually see working

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

2014 is OP

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The Lure Owns.

VVitch for hoty (horror of the year) though

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I really think the best of 2016 is The Eyes of My Mother. That was a movie that haunted me for quite a while after I saw it.

It's really hard for me to pick between The Eyes of My Mother and Raw, 2 of my all time favorite horror movies tbh. I think I would also edge towards giving the year to Eyes of My Mother though. I've given a lot of my votes so far to more art house or horror adjacent picks I think, but tEoMM is loving horrifying.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Glad to see all the Annihilation love, my choice as well

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I completely understand people who prefer the Suspiria remake, honestly it may even be a more defensible opinion, but ‘77 remains my all-time favorite horror.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Malignant is the most fun move in any genre in like a decade

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Ending on a great year, my pick is Pearl :)

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

ye no dinosaurs in Hatching. I'd watch that cut too though

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

3 owns so much

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Can anyone give me a as-spoiler-free-as-possible gist of Skinamarink's premise?

I don't want to watch the trailer because I want to go in as cold as possible, but I'm also really confused as to what the movie actually is, going by some of the unspoilered comments in here

Two little kids wake up in the middle of the night and discover that all the external doors and windows in their house have vanished, along with their parents

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

"Thriller" is just a name for various sub-genres of horror where werewolves have been replaced by white collar crime.

Agreed and this confirmed by the music video for Thriller, when MJ turns into a werewolf at the end

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

Does Shadow of the Vampire hold up?

Hell yeah it rules

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

they all had covid

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

30 Coins? In THIS economy??

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

does anyone die in Altered States? there’s a bit of ape mischief in the middle there but I think he doesn’t kill anyone

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

does Mandy count? feel like any movie with a chsinsaw fight’s gotta count

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

i love to kill

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

2016 was all bangers all the time, drat

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Psychic powers are real, so really this is like complaining that a character has a driver’s license, or can easily balance on one foot

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

One thing that makes a movie horror is a skeleton. Another is when a door opens unusually slowly.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

“I LOVE Annihilation,” I say, dissolving into atoms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The Exorcist is a worse movie than either The Exorcist 2 or The Exorcist 3