Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Not to bring back Zombie chat but I havenít seen his Halloweens..do I really need to watch his first one or can I just skip to 2?

Also 1000 Corpses is awesome and oddly genuine. Super rough around the edges but itís a campy as gently caress spookhouse midnight movie if thatís your thing. Devils Rejects is really, really good but Iíd rather watch Dwight get turned into a mermaid again instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Alvarez IV posted:

What's some low-budget, sleazy, camp horror or horror-adjacent stuff that will scratch my itch for Troma/John Waters/Rocky Horror? For comparison's sake, a friend told me about "Attack of the Adult Babies" which I might just watch based off the name alone, which has never failed me before (looking at you, "Gayniggers from Outer Space"), but if that sucks and my itch goes unscratched, I need backup.

Terrorvision, Breeders, Creepozoids, Pieces, Evil Toons

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

Miike is amazing. Like I'd love a button I could press that plays a random Miike movie that I haven't seen because there's so many and they're all over the map.

I always waffle on my favorite. Some days it's Dead or Alive 2. Some days Audition, some days Ichi the Killer.

Miike is the best and just yesterday I realized he has 104(!) director credits

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Pomp posted:

Carpenter slowly declined into mediocre before checking out to focus on music, fried chicken and video games. Argento immediately went to borderline unwatchable then just kept going forever.

Yeah, Ghost of Mars is his only real lovely post 80s movie. The rest are just ok to great (In the Mouth of Madness)

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Ghosts of Mars doesn't even have the decency to be shockingly bad. Its crime is being so thoroughly dull and forgettable like so many mid-budget 90s action films. When I watch a lot of 90s schlock I'm struck by how samey and boring the cinematography is in all of them. I don't know how the director of Halloween made such a film.

The Marilyn Manson cenobite villain is close to shockingly bad but yeah itís pretty dull

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

when your big stars for the season are jigsaw and David Arquette that is a sign of quality.

I hated some of the lovely cgi in that trailer but the bad stop motion xenomorph rip-off is my poo poo so Iíll watch it

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Dont you dare besmirch this legend. Father Satan.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Prime has a really excellent horror section. There a lot of terrible stuff but it's all been terrible in a fun way, in my experience.

The depths of prime poo poo horror movies are never ending....they will stream any psychopathís masterwork

The best ones are always the ones without cover art and itís just text on a generic background.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Pomp posted:

Plan 9 is bad because it's bad and it's good because it's fun and if you're looking for any further illumination on the subject you have internet commenter syndrome

This is a lovely way to think about movies

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Pomp posted:

We're talking about Plan 9, not loving Eraserhead. It should be plain as day to anyone viewing it what does and doesn't(does) work.

Iím not trying to start poo poo but honestly if you think that Eraserhead is irrefutably worthy of discussion but Plan 9 is not that is just a pessimistic and lame way to look at a genre that is limitless. Just because something is made by David Lynch doesnít mean itís more analytical than something made by Ed Wood (David Lynch is my favorite director ever) Also confusing cause Eraserhead is pretty straight forward

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Best is lame, my vote for Worst of the Decade is Sinister and that goofy gently caress Bughool

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I liked Sinister enough. The lawnmower short film in it was effective and good. I'd watch it before any of the Insidious movies.

Really? The lawnmower stuff came across Looney Tunes and the rest of the movie took itself very seriously. The first Insidious is a fun haunted house movie with a kinda bizarre but unique premise. Lots of jump scares but visually interesting (the opening, the seance, some of the creature design). Patrick Wilson hams it up a lot but thatís better than being bored to death by Ethan Hawke.

Sinister was two minutes of bad found footage Saw traps and a guy in a slipknot mask. For gently caress sake it ends with Baghool going boogie boogie into the camera and its so bad it looks like a blooper It didnít have one interesting, visually appealing, or unique idea outside of the snuff films and thatís 5 minutes of the movie.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 15, 2019

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, really.

A true crime writer moving his family into the house of the murders he wants to write about and he finding a box full of snuff films is a strong enough premise to keep me around until the credits. Ethan Hawke's a good actor. The snuff films themselves were spooky. I appreciate that they decided to make the snuff films unflinching spooky visuals instead of gross-outs or jump scares; making them unsettling was a nice approach. The film's sound design was good. Is it a little long? Yes. Are many aspects trite? Yes. Was it fun to see in theaters opening weekend? Yes.

Insidious is also fine, but I find the whole final act goofy and cartoonish. I don't like the aesthetic of the spirit world. The demon loses all intimidation and starts hopping around like Beetlejuice. The first act is pretty cool, though.

There are worse, more boring movies than Sinister, like Cooties, It Comes At Night, Flanagan's Absentia, The Dead Don't Die.

I like the goofy and cartoonish world of Insidious. Itís weird and different. Sinister was just so boring and cliche. You lost me at ďtrue crime writerĒ. Yeah Hawke is a great actor but he didnít do a single memorable thing that entire movie.

Oh there are definitely worse movies but i really felt so underwhelmed after seeing Sinister and I paid money to do so.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

that's a great way to put it. I've seen some extraordinarily bad DTV films that make even poo poo like the Bye Bye Man look like a masterpiece. Like how can you say Sinister is the worst in a world where Sexsquatch exists?

Because Sexsquatch is better?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

BrendianaJones posted:

In the last 24 hours I have watched both versions of Suspiria (I hadn't seen the original before for some reason) and Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.

I don't really get the hype of the original Suspiria, but try as I might Italian horror, especially from the 70s, never has really worked for me. I loved the use of color and the soundtrack, but wasn't really engaged. I preferred the approach the remake took and loved the intense, body horror moments. I can still appreciate the original as a well made and unique movie that just isn't the sort of thing I enjoy watching.

Scary Stories was alright, really nailed the feeling of fall which I dug. But I'm gonna echo that the Vietnam backdrop didn't work for me and I wish it had been an anthology. I also thought The Jangly Man was pretty weak stuff and it got the most screentime of any of the monsters.

It apparently isn't doing great at the box office, so it doesn't look like that sequel baiting is going to pay off.

What did you think of the ďremakeĒ Suspiria?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Krazyface posted:

Excision has a memorable surgery scene. It's also pretty good in general.

Excision is so good and itís one of those movies that will grow in appreciation as it was overlooked in 2012 but would fit in perfect with the sort of ďsocial-horrorĒ wave of movies in the last few years. Very undervalued and has really stuck with me. Also Traci Lords is great in it.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

All I know is there is plenty of room for Joe Bob and Elvira and I hope they are hosting horror movies till they drop dead.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I just found out they're making a sequel to The Shining.

At first I was like "Why?" but apparently it's based on the book King already wrote as a sequel to The Shinning called Doctor Sleep so I guess there's a reason to make this movie beyond wanting money based on name recognition.

Has anyone read Doctor Sleep? Is it good?

Itís not good. The Shining stuff is the best part of the book but itís mostly a very generic story with lame vampires types who never pose an actual threat to the protagonists. Really nothing special but it seems like the movie is going to be more of a sequel to the movie than Doctor Sleep is a sequel to the movie/book.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The world would be worse off without at least one mainstream horror writer who has the kind of creative freedom that King has

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Mike is basically ďstage directionsĒ man. ďGo back home, meet me there, do thisĒ. Itís lame

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

I ADORE both Corpses and Rejects, but in my experience people who are casually into horror or aren't super into horror generally have a good time with Ho1C because it's a little more "fun", less mean, more kinda wacky and if you're a fan of Rob Zombie's music it definitely fits that aesthetic more.

Rejects is unique as gently caress but it's also unflinchingly violent and dripping with malice despite there being a lot of comedy in it, so horror fans tend to gravitate more towards that imo while people who aren't as into horror can find it a little too mean or overwhelming.

Both of them are in my top movies of all time but I prefer Rejects over Corpses personally.

I actually think itís the opposite, Rejects has more drama and feels more like a crime film whereas 1000 Corpses is very much so playing to a crowd who understand and appreciates its love for the horror movies that so clearly inspired it.

I always liked 1000 Corpses better. They are both good but there is a goofy charm to 1000 Corpses. I love the colors and the spookhouse environment. Itís not perfect but itís really fun.

Rejects has an acid-western serial killler vibe thatís great but not nearly my poo poo as the first.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

I mean I agree with everything you say here, (except I prefer Rejects) but I think Ho1C's goofy charm is exactly what makes it more palatable to a less horror inclined audience. Whereas the torture and sex crimes and general nastiness of Reject's tends to turn a less horror-inclined viewer off of the film, as it's def got that acid-Western-serial killer vibe you talked about (that's actually a fantastic description of it tbh) but that's pretty loving niche.

I guess it depends on who is watching. Plenty of people who donít like 1000 Corpses type of horror but watch dramas with lots of really gritty violence. 1000 Corpses just seems so tailor made for a horror audience.

Also the Freebird scene would be poo poo if he didnít commit to the length but he did and that is what makes its great. Love him or hate him I like that Zombie has the creative freedom to do that poo poo

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Darthemed posted:

The state of affairs at my local Wal-Mart.

The Merlin looking fucker in the top left has serious potential

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Actually, thinking about my list, last year I saved a Biggie for Halloween itself with Return of the Living Dead. I'm having trouble deciding which to do this year. Here's the list:

Demon Knight, Bride of Frankenstein, The Abominable Dr. Phibes / Returns (double-feature), The Fog, Dawn of the Dead (1978) , Targets, Halloween III, Society, Tales from the Darkside, Deep Red, Night of the Comet, Hobo with a Shotgun, Brides of Dracula / Dracula has Risen from the Grave (double-feature), The Comedy of Terrors, Tales from the Hood, Castle Freak, The Reptile, Ganja and Hess, Gremlins 2 (have seen lots of parts), Carnival of Souls, Bride of Re-Animator, Dead Alive / Bad Taste (double-feature), The Gate, Body Melt, TerrorVision, Demons, Nightbreed, Tenebre, Blacula, I Walked with a Zombie

Out of those, what's both the most essential and the craziest?

I assume Bride of Frankenstein or Dawn of the Dead are the most essential so that seems most appropriate, but I also kinda feel like just going for as crazy as possible.

Society.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Blast Fantasto posted:

What the hell? Also Predator is 95% action maybe 5% horror. It's a classic

I donít think thatís true. The first big action scene is pure action schlock but the other 2/3rds of the movie are basically a slasher, especially the last act. This is not counting the amazing but ridiculous spray all our ammo into the jungle scene. But even that and many other scenes are tearing down action hero tropes and exposing them with a clearly horror-based movie monster villain.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Sid Haig was the loving man.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

heres my rob zombie tattoo

poo poo that came out really great. no offense was kinda hoping for something terrible :devil:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Us is really good, itís not better than Get Out but it has great visuals and a fantastic soundtrack. I also thought some parts were funnier than anything in Get Out. Calling it terrible is crazy hyperbolic.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Agree. And Us's main failing over Get Out is maybe biting off more than it can chew. It aims to address huge societal issues in a metaphor that can't quite contain it and feels thin at points. But the only way I can see someone describing it as terrible is if they are obsessed with tactical realism issues.

Yeah I donít want to start a derail but I already have a large tolerance for what some see as ďplot holesĒ when a film is really working metaphorically and thematically. It just doesnít bother me, crazier poo poo than fiction could ever dream up has happened in reality so nothing is really that unrealistic to me.

Not to say that some of the metaphorical and thematic aspects of Us werenít clunky and dumb at times. But it really worked on a visceral level for me and like I said, audio and visually it was really really loving good.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Twilight Zone is something that just doesnít need to be remade and every attempt has hinted at that fact yet still ignores it in the end.

We have plenty of old Twilight Zone episode and they all work great in their place and time.

I think of something weird and new like Channel Zero and I want more of that to replace the Twilight Zone shaped hole in my heart, not a bad pastiche.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Serious Party Gods posted:

Ehhh, you're giving 'US' far too much credit.
It was a mess of half-baked ideas....Sameies with 'Get Out'. They aren't that good.

:wrong:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Even though I loved the humor, I agree that some of it undercut the scary scenes and tension. Same with the boring lore building scenes. Itís drifts away from ďhorror movieĒ at different moments. But again I was just very engaged with this films sounds and visuals and i wasnít bothered by its bumpy narrative. It just looked so great with some interesting surreal poo poo. Visceral and dreamlike plots are just very effective on me.

In the end, Iím also just happy with a film that wasnít just another gruesome, violent, home invasion movie with many social themes but it got very weird, very creative, very bizarre, even if itís on the nose and not tightly structured.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Sarchasm posted:

On the heels of yesterday's news about The Green Knight being indefinitely delayed, Disney today announced that The New Mutants has been rescheduled for an August 28 release date.

lol

That movie is never coming out

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ghoulies 2, gremlins 2 and critters are pg-13 and those are some of the best movies of all time so clearly you are wrong

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

el oso posted:

I think Hader and Ransome were really good, Chastain was pretty good, Ben was blah and McAvoy was badly miscast (and isn't helped any by poor writing). He doesn't act like young Bill in any way, he's goofy and manic and doesn't seem like an inspiring leader in any way. They did Mike dirty with the way he's written as well.

I thought IT2 was pretty good the first time I watched it but a 2nd viewing brought it down to like a 5/10. Part of what makes IT a good story is the child and grownup stories happening side-by-side - the grownup stuff on its own isn't nearly as interesting, which is why they shoehorned in an hour of flashbacks.

I also think the massive success of IT1 was problematic as it seems like after that they let Muschietti do whatever he wanted to do with the sequel, which is how you end up with an indulgent 3 hour movie with huge pacing issues.

IT was really bizarre because it was a very well acted, finely produced, emotionally resonant film that was probably the best adaptation of the story you could do but the scares followed the same exact pattern to the point that I donít understand how anyone wasnít completely bored by them in Part II. They actively made almost every scary part less effective with boring repetition, misplaced humor, bad pacing, and needlessly bad CGI. Some scares were great and make it kinda worthwhile but as a horror movie it really wasnít very good.

Bloated but buoyed by great performances, everything with Pennywise was great but then every time he just turned into some Baghool poo poo it lost me.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What is the opinion of Troma these days? If I'm not mistaken, I don't think they've put out an actual movie in at least a decade, but I'm talking about that renaissance they had between Tromeo & Juliet (or maybe Sgt. Kabukiman?) and Citizen Toxie. I remember enjoying them in my mid-teens, but I tried watching a few scenes recently and I was almost ashamed of myself. For instance, I had completely forgotten just how horrifically transphobic the ending of Terror Firmer is.

I have yet to see anybody on here really defend Troma. I have a massive amount of respect for the underground, DIY, independent, no rules filmmaking that Troma represents but it is 90% abject trash and not even fun trash.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Oh, I wasn't accusing anyone. And yeah, the indy filmmaking part is just about the only aspect I appreciate at this point. And even then, I'm starting to remember watching a couple of their documentaries and Kaufman being an abusive piece of poo poo towards just about everyone and putting employees in danger on a regular basis.

I just meant that I think the opinion around here is pretty low but I could be wrong. A few movies do hit that low budget camp sweet spot.

In a strange way though I can respect that instead of becoming a respected elder-stateman of indie films or just fading away, Troma remains a filthy, lowbrow, poo poo factory well into the 21st century. Very on brand.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

You were saying?

People explaining how they feel about Troma both good and bad =/= defending Troma.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Nightbreed is awesome but all sorts of hosed up Iím sure the different cuts are better but I love that little weirdo film regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Finally broke my streak of lovely movies. Basket Case owns.

Basket Case is amazing and may be the best New York City horror film ever made. I love that landlord character especially.