Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

It's definitely more comedy than horror, but anyone checked out Vampires vs. The Bronx on Netflix? It was pretty fun, I liked it. Some Attack the Block vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Hunted kinda fuckin ruled. It's my favorite subgenre of horror/thriller (spoilers though it's in the trailer anyway) Victim turning the tables on the killer, with some slightly fantastical things thrown in.

The ending was pretty viscerally satisfying for me too.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Yea, just got released on Shudder.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I know it's not really considered horror, but thinking about checking out Starman. Any thoughts on it?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Starman IS good!

Ending was probably a little, uh, optimistic though.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Marshal Radisic posted:

So I ended up watching The Empty Man over the evening and it turned out to be much better than I was expecting. Everything about its outward appearance makes it look like one of those cheap horror movies that studios burn off in January, but the movie's more ambitious and more composed than that. James Badge Dale anchors the film well as an ex-cop investigating a nihilistic cult, and the film pays due homage to its influences by quoting Kill List and In the Mouth of Madness. The film is a little too unruly for its own good, and it takes a while to see how the more initially anomalous elements fit together, but it's a decent rental.

Maybe it was a different movie, but I think the trailer for this just made me think of The Bye Bye Man.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Anyone seen Synchronic and have any thoughts on it? I really liked Resolution and The Endless.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Someone here recommended They're Watching for a found footage movie. Just checked it out, pretty standard stuff, but holy poo poo the last 20 minutes had me cackling.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I've had multiple people tell me Spike Jonze's music video for Y Control by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs is way too creepy/scary, and have even had to turn it off before for someone. :shrug:

Hadn't seen that one before, that's creepy as hell. Also, I have a hard time with doggo violence, even if it's fake :(

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

If a horror movie has a great kid death I give it an extra star. I think my brain might be broken.

e: don't you dare touch that dog, though, that's a good dog who has done nothing wrong! But that kid's gotta be stopped before it turns into an adult.

The one in the original Assault on Precinct 13 was a good one.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

I remember disliking As Above So Below in theaters, particularly due to the ending, but maybe that's just because at the time I really wasn't used to horror films getting Happy endings and it's probably something I'd appreciate a lot more these days on a rewatch

Spoiler is exactly why I liked it, you never see that, especially in found footage.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Just watched Dead Alive (or is it Braindead? Why is there two different names?) for the first time.

Left me almost speechless, that was the most insane thing I've ever seen. The amount of sheer creativity on display is CRAZY. I feel like it should be more well known? Or maybe it is and I just never hear about it. The effects and gore still totally hold up. Just blew my loving mind.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

Yeah it absolutely rules, it was one of the first horror films (along with Evil Dead II) that made me realize how much I loved the genre. There was another film called Braindead that came out around the same time so it got renamed to Dead Alive for the US market. And I think it’s very well known among horror fans at least.

Yea, see I always hear a lot about Evil Dead's gore effects, but I never really see Dead Alive brought up. But I also have no friends so it could just be me.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

It’s also kind of hard to find right now. At least like Blu Ray wise. I ended up watching it on YouTube.

Yea that was really annoying, I ended up watching it on YouTube also, luckily there was like 5 uploads of it.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

New season of Creepshow on Shudder starts today. I know the quality of these are all over the place, but I think it's pretty fun. The first episode features Bob Ross fighting a deadite Ted Raimi.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 1, 2021

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

WeaponX posted:

I never checked out the first season but I remember hearing it was a bit of a crapshoot. Anyone got a few to recommend from that season? I love Creepshow and anthology poo poo so I’m pretty forgiving.

I also have a soft spot for anthologies, but I don't think any of it was total garbage. Off the top of my head I really liked the man in the suitcase one.

vvv hell yeah

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 1, 2021

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

I forget where the thread landed on Eight Legged Freaks but I just caught it and that poo poo is good. It was way less "2002" than I was assuming, and had some really nice plotting and characters. A ton of fun and strikes just about the right tonal balance for a horror comedy, surprisingly so for that era.

Also the new episode of Creepshow is fun. Not as good as the premiere but the season is shaping up to be a nice cheapie Tales from the Crypt.

Speaking of Tales from the Crypt, why isn't it on HBO Max or something? I'd love to revisit it.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Rights issue hell. Also killed the planned M. Night Shyamalan reboot. They were up on YouTube last time I looked.

Oh hell yea it is, thanks! That was the case with Dead Alive too.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Binged a bunch of Tales From the Crypt over the weekend. it holds up like crazy, and I can't count how many times I yelled at the TV when an actor I knew was in it. They pulled in a lot of talent.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

my library has a couple books by that title in the system, is it the one by Christopher Buehlman?

It is, and it does indeed kick rear end.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So, Near Dark.

First, is it worth checking out?

And if yes, how can I watch it? I wanted to for an October challenge thing a few years ago but came up empty.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Well poo poo. I can get a used blu-ray for $60, will need to think on this one.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

Hey-- out of curiosity, is Gretel and Hansel particularly shaky? My wife and I are looking for horror to get caught up on tonight, but she has intense shaky camera sensitivity.

I would say it's like the opposite of shaky.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Was looking at that Walrus person's rap sheet and there's a gif that maybe looks like Christopher Lambert exploding into blue goo? What movie is that?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

dorium posted:

Fortress

Aww poo poo and it's a Stuart Gordon movie? I probably need to check this out.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

Every Stuart Gordon movie requires checking out

Don't disagree, I only think I'm missing a few.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

whats another good zombie movie thats new im in the mood for one

It's not that new but watched Blood Quantum last night and liked it.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

shits all over Knox's Decalogue

I had never heard of this, and #5 was uhhhh but it's actually the opposite of what I thought.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I need suggestions.

The only thing that really freaks me out is spelunking and people getting wedged in places and stuck.

The one episode of The Walking Dead where it happens really got to me, surprisingly.

I've seen The Decent and As Above So Below.
Suggestions?

I seem to remember Sanctum freaking me out a bit.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Just checked out Censor from a recommendation a ways back in the thread and I really liked it.

The ending really gave me real Saint Maud vibes.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

The last long-rear end movie I saw that I really liked (and actually wished I could spend more time there) was Blade Runner 2049.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Holy poo poo, the ending of the new Creepshow episode with the giant queen bee animatronic and Aliens-esque honey beehive monster feeding is the coolest thing I've seen on screen in a long long time :stare:

The other segment's ending was also fantastic. Both got off to a slow start but finished strong. I've got a very good feeling about this season.

The monster actually gave me The Thing vibes

I love that they are using practical effects, and they look really good!