Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

I'll enter into an accord with you that furthers both of our individual goals:

From this point forward I will always refer to the xenomorph's inner mouth as a Tim

IF

You help me by always referring to the main zombie in Return of the Living Dead as Juicy Zombie. JZ for short is also ok.

I stand with JZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

T Bowl posted:

I've only seen that movie once, but it does look like the Insidious ghosts a bit too. Anyway, nice.

I want to buy the Father's Day zombie from Creepshow some guy personally made, he calls his company Monstarz

IT'S TATHERS DAY

I very much want this now as well. drat that's cool.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

T Bowl posted:

Yeah, the only thing holding me back is it's real small.. 3.75 inches (9.5cm). Same as a GI Joe.

Oh. That really does ruin it for me. I think my next horror poster for my living room will be Creepshow though. It's time to rotate out the videogame posters.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

Savageland is so loving awesome. One of the best found footage style horror movies ever made. The use of music is outstanding as well and that, combined with the creepy photos the movie uses to illustrate the horror, is some of the most chilling stuff I've seen in a horror movie in a long time.

This movie really hits on why I really love Found Footage when it's done well. It doesn't have to be "OH MAN SPOOKY GHOST ON MY CAMERA I NEED TO FILM THIS PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW!" poo poo all the time. You can do awesome stuff with it and mess with well worn tropes in amazing ways.

MAJOR SPOILER!!! This is one of the creepiest zombie movies ever, dead stop. The photos are so perfectly done and make it even more terrifying than footage would have.

It's on Prime, watch it ASAP. It starts slow and there's a certain cheesiness to the beginning but when it hits the ground it doesn't let up.

My wife came in while I was about a third of the way into this and I had her convinced it was an actual documentary for a bit.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Hollismason posted:

LMAO at this poser who doesn't know that the best Tales from the Crypt episode is Cutting Cards featuring Lance Henriksen and Kevin Tighe.

Fuckin truth. So good. Then again I'm super partial to Dig That Cat...He's Real Gone.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Real excited for studios to bash any fun or originality out of the burgeoning Unfriended Cinematic Universe (UCU). Can't wait for Unfriended 6 where the movie takes place entirely in an open Amazon Kindle video assistant screen.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Ok so hear me out. Unfriended 3. It's some teens talking on Skype or whatever and one of them is like, "Hey I just got a link to a weird video", and sends it to all of them. The video? Thering.mov

Best crossover. The movie then follows them through their seven days but only shown through Skype chats, video calls on their phones, and CCTV cameras.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Has there been a found footage horror movie done entirely through police bodycam? I feel like there's potential there. End of Watch does not count.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

TheKingslayer posted:

Fear Footage (2018). It's actually got pretty decent reviews too.

I'll add it to the list. Thanks for the heads up.

In other news I still haven't watched As Above, So Below. One day I will tho. One day.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

A Maniac Cop remake shot entirely through the titular cops body cam.

Kinda like Maniac but with a cop and-

Oh poo poo.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Is there a new way to do zombie movies? No one has come at it from a new angle in a long time. I liked Fido but that was like 12 years ago. I'm trying hard to think or something interesting or original in zombie horror from the last 10 years and I can't remember anything super good. Except Savageland. Even though that movie's premise could have worked with any kind of horror movie creature.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

This is a serious question: What is everyone's dream/unique take on found footage they'd like to see?

For me: Zombie Apocalypse scenario done through security cams, news footage, police body-cam footage, cell phone footage etc.

Found footage killer scarecrows. I want a build up though. Maybe the first third of the movie is a farmer documenting damage to his crops and livestock deaths. Then he sets up some security cams around the farm and you get like 10 minutes of Paranormal activity style "Did I see something move"? and then Bam! A fuckin scarecrow saunters into full view. The climax of the film is the small town population taking up arms against the scarecrows escalating into a small town war. The scarecrows are possessed by evil spirits or some poo poo caused by a local Amish outcast, and the good Amish show up at the end and fight some scarecrows with the townspeople. The Scarecrows have farm tools as weapons of loving course.

Think paranormal activity/Night of The Scarecrows/Army of Darkness.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

I keep trying to start Lake Mungo but it's so slow for the first bit and I watch something else. I don't know why it's like that. I don't mind slow-burn horror at all but I just can't get into the Mungo.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

I watched Annihilation and Mandy back to back and now my brain doesn't work right.

They were both great but Mandy was the better.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Looks like The People Under the Stairs, Tales From the Hood, and Brain Damage are now up on Shudder. Also the Snoop Dogg horror movie Bones, which I really liked years ago so I'm interested to see if it holds up at all.

I love showing people Tales From The Hood. It's a movie that unfortunately holds up just as well in 2019 as it did when it was released. Except the last segment. Last segment sucks.

I haven't seen the sequel. It gives off a Creepshow 3 kind of vibe.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Has anyone seen Bad Ben? It's horrible, but it's become an obsession with me and I've now seen all five (?) sequels. It's a weird series and perhaps the first film series to come into being because of Amazon Prime letting people upload any old garbage for free.

Yeah I fell down that rabbit hole a while back. They're increasingly bad, but oddly compelling. Definitely worth watching just to see someone making something they really seem to enjoy.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Just finished You Might Be The Killer which was a pretty fun meta-horror movie. Starting Cold Skin now because my transmission went out in my car and I have some days off work until I can find a car.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

I thought Shudder and Shudder on Prime were two different entities? They were when I signed up for Prime Shudder when it first released.

Edit: Also Cold Skin was pretty good. Kind of an uncomfortable movie what with the merperson fuckslave.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 4, 2019

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

I have no idea what the current status of the Shudder Prime add-on is, because we got word from Shudder like 3 months ago that they'd been dropped by Amazon. But then the channel never went away, so now I'm scared to ever let my subscription to it drop because then I might not be able to get it back. And I kinda expect that randomly one day it will just disappear because Amazon thinks they got rid of it but they never actually did, or something.

Wait what? I was unaware of this. It's the best prime add-on. I just resubbed to it like a month ago. It's still staying updated and poo poo. Like the banner had Mandy and the recent releases (Tales From The Hood, etc.)

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

I checked everywhere and it was announced but never happened and it was never spoke of again. Weird. Either way I'm glad-ish I could watch Cold Skin, which is a hosed up movie.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

I don't know what I liked about it. I liked the way it looked i guess, especially the old timey scuba diving scene. I could also appreciate the creature affects but I agree with the poster above that it really couldn't decide if it was "Balls out merperson murder head explosions" or "a study on war and colonialism as told through the experiences of merpeople and lighthouse keepers".

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

ruddiger posted:

Some people like going into films without knowing the plot too. I went in completely cold to Mandy, which made for a better experience because even though it's a pretty simple premise, it's able to play with preconceived expectations if you don't know what the plot is or where it's going to take you.

Yeah. I did that. About 30 minutes in I wanted to turn it off but it was late at night and I figured it might turn around. It totally did.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Update on Shudder, I wrote to them about the whole Amazon/Shudder.com situation and:

So no need to use the Shudder site account now!

Hell yeah. I was worried. Also. More love is needed for You Might Be The Killer.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Fun meta horror I don't consider smug:

Detention
Final Girls
Behind The Mask
You Might Be The Killer

If I'm missing any other good meta horror stuff let me know so that I may watch it.

Edit: just realized the main character from You Might Be The Killer was the stoner guy in Cabin in The Woods.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

Last night I saw one that I kinda liked. There’s Nothing Out There from 1991. It’s a low budget (made by the director in film school and edited by his dad) meta slasher/monster movie. It’s neat to see something like that that came out before Scream. Not sure if it’s objectively “good” but I laughed a few times. It’s on tubi for free at least.

I will check it out on my next days off. Horror Thread always comes through with a recommendation, even though I watch the worst subgenre: FOUND FOOTAGE.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Italian horror is generally nonsensical and bad. I'll take my beating now.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Every time I get into the Italian horror discussion someone convinces me to watch Italian horror and every time I've just been disappointed. Suspira (the original) has very pretty colors. That's really all I can like about it.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Carpenter, Craven, Raimi, and the guy who won't stop making Bad Ben movies.

Edit: I appear to have replied without knowing there was another page. This was referring to American Horror Mt. Rushmore.

Edit edit: Many pages. The awful app said I only had 20 unread posts. It was super wrong.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 7, 2019

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Presenting Basebf555's third place prize from the January Horror Essentials thread, a customized doodle of a horror character of his choosing...

THE JUICY ZOMBIE!

Credits to my good friend and talented artist LandsharkRAWR for the artwork.

For those of you who couldn't participate in the thread, you can still look through the list to see if any of the classics are something you've been meaning to watch! I think it's a pretty good list and the participants seemed to agree.

Just a quick reminder his name is in fact Juicy Zombie and every other name is wrong.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Stryder posted:

I was hoping he would chime in. But seriously, looking at the Full Moon wiki page:
Evil Bong (2006)
Evil Bong 2: King Bong (2009)
Evil Bong 3D: The Wrath of Bong (2011)
Gingerdead Man vs. Evil Bong (2013)
Evil Bong 4:20 (2015)
Evil Bong: High 5 (2016)
Evil Bong 666 (2017)
Evil Bong 777 (2018)

Psh. One a year at most. Better step up his game before the Bad Ben guy surpasses him. At his current rate, someone will be able to do the October horror challenge next year by watching 31 of the 46 Bad Ben movies.

Edit: it'll be me. I'll be watching all the Bad Ben movies.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

I'm slightly behind on my Bad Ben lore, but did anything ever get more bonkers than the Jersey Devil doing a rape?

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

With all the People Under The Stairs and The Boy talk let's all remember that Housebound is a good movie that also kinda meshes with the aforementioned movies. Housebound is so good though.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Doctor Faustine posted:

Housebound is awesome. It’s a perfect blend of comedy and horror and it really keeps you on your toes.

I'm a huge fan of showing it to people without letting them know the basic premise of the movie. I went in blind myself and wish I could do it again.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

I got curious and wanted to know what horror movies came out in my birth year and honestly it was a stellar year for horror:

- 976-EVIL
- The Exorcist 3
- The best F13 movie: Jason Takes Manhattan
- Leviathan
- Puppet Master
- Society
- Tesuo The Iron Man

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

13-year-old Harold decides to explore the long-abandoned farm of the late Raymond Brenner, and finds that he’s got a new Companion: a murderous, indestructible scarecrow.

Y'all know I love the underrated subgenre of scarecrow horror.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Hi I'm here to drag everyone back in scarecrow talk. I want a movie about the Amish fighting sentient Scarecrows with farm tools and maybe like an old civil war cannon. The battle can spill out onto the streets of a quiet Pennsylvania town and the townspeople can help fight the Scarecrows as well.

The sentient Scarecrows were summoned by an evil Amish outcast. Also lol that my phone capitalizes Scarecrows.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

I wonder if evil scarecrows are exempt from Anabaptist pacifism.

I dunno. Do the Scarecrows have faces? Also can Scarecrows be considered dolls?

"A sociological study from 2007 says that the dolls are left faceless because "all are alike in the eyes of God", and that the lack of facial features agrees with the Bible's commandment against graven images."

"There are several accounts of the origins of faceless dolls used by Amish children. One account says that a young Amish girl was given a rag doll with a face for Christmas. Her father became upset and cut the head off the doll. He reportedly said "Only God can make people.""

So I'd say that the Amish would find Scarecrows (with faces) an abomination and a slight against god that needed to be destroyed. If the Scarecrows did not have faces then I guess they'd just leave them alone. I guess there's not a movie to be had in my premise if it's predicated solely on Scarecrows with faces.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Stryder posted:

What if it's about an Amish farmer who makes a faceless scarecrow but the next day he wakes up the scarecrow has a face and no one will admit to doing it. He has to destroy the scarecrow according to his beliefs, and builds another, but again, the next morning someone has made a face on the new scarecrow. Is he slowly going insane or is someone sneaking into his cornfield at night with a Sharpie!?

MOON, but with an isolated Amish man on a farm.

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Europa Report is still the scariest non-scary movie. Just the implication makes the movie terrifying. A layer of ice and then water hundreds of miles deep. I get creeped out thinking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 16, 2009

Idle Hands is underrated zombie stoner horror comedy. I actually rewatched it about a month ago. If any old horror movie deserves a Shout Factory release it's Idle Hands.

Edit: The no-frills Blu-ray is 10.42 USD on Amazon with Prime shipping. No one has an excuse.

Edit 2: Amazon knows me too well. It's like, "You should also buy The Faculty, Hard Ticket to Hawaii, and The Frighteners". drat I'm really bout to buy Idle Hands on Blu-ray.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 14, 2019