Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Neo Rasa posted:

I see it getting recommended on Shudder often now so this is a good time to let the thread know to check out Death Line if you haven't yet.

An early 70s movie starring Donald Pleasence as a terse force-of-nature-level-rear end in a top hat Scotland Yard inspector trying to figure out what's going on with folks disappearing or/and getting mutilated between train lines. Notable that this is a flick that when released in the US had to have a bit of the shots of corpses and such cut out to not get an X rating!

AIG released this in the US with the title Raw Meat back in the day but Shudder as a definitive streaming version of it as Death Line. It's short enough to not overstay its welcome, and involves subway cannibals and some gnarly makeup/etc. at times. Christopher Lee pops up in it too briefly. :3: The way that spoilered element is introduced is amazing, a straight five minutes of no dialogue, just slow panning through the back end of the subway culminating with at the end with loud screams as the camera pulls up to a pile of refuge that as it gets closer you can see has various human remains in it. I loving love that scene.

Guillermo Del Toro would get a kick out of it, he's said this is among his favorite films ever and it's easy to see how it's influenced him.

Anyway it's a great movie so check it out if you have access to Shudder.

Per recent concerns in the thread - the transfer on Shudder looks and sounds great so no issues there.

This is bad quality YouTube clip but the movie has the heaviest opening titles, they own:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNkDrFdFylY

Hell yes. This sounds great, thanks for the heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Zwabu posted:

Watched Overlord at the dollar movies with my good friend and we really liked it. Recommend you do the same!

Fine. What dates is your good friend available?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

axelblaze posted:

https://twitter.com/JordanPeele/status/1077564905258020864
:vince:

Seriously inject this directly into my veins RIGHT NOW

That looks amazing.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Coffee And Pie posted:

I was tweeting about this the other day, why is nobody able to come up with a new memorable slasher villain? The last one I can think of was Scream, 20 years ago.

I'm into the dumb baby mask from Happy Death Day

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The marathon was the first time I'd seen any of the Phantasm films past 3. I actually really enjoyed Oblivion. Ravager was obviously a mess, but Angus Scrimm was killer to the end.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Eye trauma is something I always have to flinch away from, but Fulci's work makes me watch it. It's just so good it loops around my phobia and becomes impressive.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I listen to HDTGM occasionally because they're generally funny. I don't dig a lot of movie critique podcasts because most of them fall into the categories of "this is how I'd do it, which would be better" or just getting performatively mad.

Nameless Cults is a dope podcast though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Aww man :( I hope whoever directed the rest of 'em took cues from his work on the first couple. They're SO GOOD.

Daniel Sackheim and Pizzolatto himself trade off directing duties for the rest of the season.

I've only seen the first 5 episodes, but none of them are as well-directed as Saulnier's episodes. Which is to be expected.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well poo poo :negative:

How'd you see the other 3? Only the first 2 are on HBO's site. Are they available in another country or something?

No, I got screeners for them.

While the other episodes are definitely a step down from Saulnier (and even Fukunaga and Justin Lin) visually, Ali still puts in the best performance from any season imo. And David Milch co-wrote an episode, so it's fun picking up random, clearly Milch-y sentences.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

In Suspiria, Mater Suspirium's mother's spirit just walking around blowing up the heads of people who voted for Markos is one of the best/funniest sequences of 2018

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The original miniseries has a really good cast and a few decent moments, but it definitely short-changes the book.

I'm excited to see what a miniseries with less restrictions will do with it. I doubt their Randall Flagg will come close to Jamey Sheridan's though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I haven't watched it yet, but friends that have told me it's a lot more of a comedy and art world parody than a horror, which is fine by me. Roman J. Israel, Esq. was good and Nightcrawler was fantastic, so even if Velvet Buzzsaw is bad I'm not going to write off Dan Gilroy.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Det. Loki 4 lyfe

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Coffee And Pie posted:

Any suggestions for good horror movie podcasts? I’ve been listening to The Horror Show but they have some dumb takes on modern horror movies (too much tactical realism for me) which is too bad because I like the hosts.

Nameless Cults is the only horror-specific podcast I listen to. It's good.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Mandy
Hereditary
Thoroughbreds
Suspiria
Halloween
Mom and Dad
The House That Jack Built
Revenge
The Ritual
Ghost Stories

2018 was a good year for horror.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

CelticPredator posted:

I watched more horror movies this year than movies in general lmao.

Speaking of, I finally watched Overlord. I think we talked about it in Gen Chat.

It was whatever. I really like John Magaro, so it was nice seeing him in a decent role. Ian De Caestecker was wasted. Wyatt Russell finally gave me a young Kurt Russell vibe instead of a young Jeff bridges vibe.

Overall it was a bit of a letdown. There were a few times where it threatened to ramp things up, but it never went full-anything. So even the final act just felt like it was a second gear. I didn't feel like I wasted my time, but nothing really stuck with me either.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, he's killed it in funnier roles (22 Jump Street, Lodge 49, Ingrid Goes West) but he clearly has the chops for action.

He's very good in a smallish role in Cold in July, which isn't action, but it's worth checking out if you haven't.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This take was actually doing the rounds quite a bit when that movie came out. I don’t agree, I think The Hills Have Eyes is Craven’s first real masterpiece, but the remake is very solid.

I rewatched the remake after the original was on Joe Bob's Dinners of Death and I think I put them on par now. Michael Berryman is pretty hard to beat, but I think the stuff with the family is done better by Aja.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If you mean the “good” family maybe, but one of my big complaints about the remake is how one dimensional it makes the cannibal family compared to the original, where they all have defined personalities beyond just “likes to kill and eat people”. But yeah the red state vs blue state dynamic between Ted Levine and his son in law in the remake is pretty fun (that stuff was already there to an extent in the original but the remake did a good job putting a modern twist on it)

Yeah, that's what I mean, the tourist family. They amped up that clashing dynamic and Levine and Aaron Stanford are perfect for those parts.

I prefer the hill people family from the original.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

ruddiger posted:

Pyro from X2

I remember Aaron Stanford getting a lot of buzz in the early '00s from Tadpole, X2 and The Hills Have Eyes, but it never really paid off, huh?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Neo Rasa posted:

IIRC in the mid-00s he wanted to return to mostly acting on stage so he never became a household name but he's popped up in The Walking Dead and other stuff for a few episodes regularly since then too.

Fair enough. That was kind of William Petersen's deal, right? He preferred doing theatre work and staying around his family even though he killed it in Manhunter and To Live and Die in LA. He did do some supporting parts throughout the '90s though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Easy Diff posted:

He also got his gently caress-you money doing a little show called C.S.I.

Yeah, 15 years later. Even then, he bailed after 8 seasons.

William Petersen rules though. He's in that decent 12 Angry Men TV adaptation, and -- to be more related to the thread -- a crappy TV movie called The Beast that I loved as a kid. It was Peter Benchley doing another Jaws.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

When I heard that Us "falls apart" when you think about it too much I was really worried that they'd over-explain why there are doppelgangers, how they work, where they came from, etc.. I was pleasantly surprised that they don't do that.

If you're like me and don't give a poo poo about having a step-by-step layout of how things work in the film's world then I'm sure you'll dig it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If anything I think they explain too much

they should just be like "hey, theres doubles"

It borders on too much. I thought the first sort of exposition dump in the house worked really well, because it was vague and creepy. The second one was... fine, if a little too long. The flashbacks for the reveal of the "twist" were a little too long, mostly because the twist was pretty obvious from the beginning.

I guess I expected worse, but I agree that I'd have been happy with no explanation.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

That Creepshow series they're making for Shudder is adapting the Stephen King short story "Gray Matter". Adrienne Barbeau, Giancarlo Esposito and Tobin Bell are starring in it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

s.i.r.e. posted:

Someone said they restream the live Joe Bob stuff right?

They have it up to watch after the stream, yeah.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Jason Clarke is a good actor, but he's been slotted into the bland leading role a lot recently, and it doesn't really play to his strengths at all.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So is it just me or did the ending to Q the Winged Serpent just come out of nowhere

Like, last we see Moriarty's character he is a shithead and everyone hates him and then suddenly Carradine shows up to save him and they are friends and Moriarty is a different person who realizes how he was wrong

I think he started realizing he was a shithead when his girl left him and people weren't kissing his rear end just because he pointed out where Q was living.

I think you can see that Carradine doesn't hate Moriarty in the diner scene, and later he's just busting his balls for good reason.

But yeah, it does wrap up a little too neatly, character-wise.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

They work you too hard here. They should pay you a hero's wage.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

John Hyams produced and supervised Black Summer and it really shows.

Yup. I knew it was an Asylum production, but while I was watching the first episode I was like "wait a minute..." and looked it up. Wasn't surprised at all that he directed it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I wish his Maniac Cop remake actually gets made.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Easy Diff posted:

I guess I just thought it would be more of a running fight than a siege. A siege makes no sense if it's on the Nazi's property, they can bust down the door and stab all of them immediately and pass off any damage as just a band trashing their green room. Like, the whole gun discussion through the door made negative sense, especially since they already had the red-lacers there. As soon as that door opens a crack, it's getting kicked in and everyone is dead. Why is there any negotiation?

They don't want The Ain't Rights to disappear because cops might come looking for them. They want them found, off-property. And the gun discussion through the door was to make it safe for their guys to stab the band or send in the dogs.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Pomp posted:

Jeniffer Tilly should be pinhead any gender-bent horror icon

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, I'm a big James Wan fan, but IT did his kind of mainstream, rollercoaster horror movie almost perfectly. It's really fun and visually inventive.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Zwabu posted:

I think 'Salem's Lot and Firestarter could have much better cinematic treatments than what we've gotten.

I agree. 'Salem's Lot is one of my favourite books ever, and I enjoy the miniseries but I think it could make an amazing movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

CelticPredator posted:

James Wan is gonna do it last time I checked.

Really? Oh hell yeah.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Kvlt! posted:

The most poser paragraph ever written on the internet

I'll go one better: Mike Flanagan has made at least one good horror movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Drunkboxer posted:

If I remember correctly he weirdly spoils the whole movie in extreme detail in one long rant as a bit. Like you couldn’t possibly spoil it more

It's not really weird. He treats it like you've either seen the film before or you're the kind of audience who would be used to the old type of trailers that lay out the entire film in a few minutes.

But yeah, if you want to avoid something like that then doing a first-time watch through Joe Bob is a bad idea.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I like that Joe Bob praises David Gale so much because he's very loving good in that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Coffee And Pie posted:

Zombies Halloween’s suck poo poo and the world would be better if he’d never made them

His Halloween 2 is the second-best in the franchise.