Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Matt always out here doing god’s work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Hey horror movie thread friends. Mainly a thread lurker here, but had a question I wanted y’alls’ opinion on. For my Halloween party this year I’m digitizing clips and segments from my horror VHS tapes to play as a Halloween “mood piece” throughout the evening and I thought anthology movies would work perfectly for this. I have Tales from the Darkside, Creepshow and Creepshow 2 on VHS. What is the best segment from each to digitize and include on this playlist?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Burkion posted:

Look into the series Monsters

Tehre's some fun poo poo there

Also Are You Afraid of the Dark has a few good episodes for visuals

I don’t have any Are You Afraid of the Dark on VHS and I’m trying to draw from my personal collection (no other reason other than it’s fun), but I do have some eps of Goosebumps that are neat. The Haunted Mask is honestly a pretty spooky visual. Great design.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

ruddiger posted:

Don’t show the segments, just digitize the wraparound stories/scenes from each one.

Ha this is actually a fun idea

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Night of the Comet is basically a hang out movie with an amazing soundtrack. I loved it.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Ignore me if this involves ~files~ but where is everybody watching Alligator? I have a hankering to watch it this week and I can't find it streaming anywhere.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah I was impressed with The Mortuary Collection more than I liked it. The acting is “fine,” and all the stories sort of go exactly the way you think they will (except maybe the last), honestly the best part of the film is the wraparound segment with Brown and the girl, they’re probably the best actors in the whole thing. That being said, the film really looks incredible. I think I correctly assume that it had a fairly small budget, but you truly can’t tell. The retro visual aesthetic and effects work are incredible. The opening sequence puts you perfectly in the mood for the movie. I would love to see this director with a better script and see what happens. So, not my favorite movie, but it’s definitely but the director on my radar.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Maybe a silly question, but I thought this would be the best place to ask it!!

So I indulged in the Criterion Collection Flash Sale last week and got a ton of great movies for cheap on DVD, and it’s totally awakened the dormant Special Edition DVD collector who has been asleep in me for the past 10 years or so.

As a horror guy, where’s the best places to get good releases of horror flicks? Good presentation, restorations, special features. I hear some names come up a lot, like Arrow and Vinegar Syndrome, but wanted to ask you all where you buy from.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Chris James 2 posted:

nthing Arrow, Blue Underground and Scream/Shout Factory

I've made one purchase from DeepDiscount (the Hammer collection I posted about in here months ago) and was pretty satisfied but can't really judge them until I've had at least one other experience buying from there

Thanks everyone for the reccs

Yeah I’m a poor and around 2012 I just started streaming everything and very rarely (if ever) bought physical movies so I never really upgraded to a BluRay player but perhaps it’s time since I really want to get into these nice expensive restored releases of cool rear end movies.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Franchescanado posted:

If you really want to dive in and awaken the beast, save up money and buy a 4k UHD player that has 1) HDR10 (or HDR10+) and Dolby Vision, 2) Region free blu-ray (and DVD) playing, 3) Digital Upscaling on blu-rays and DVDs. This is best paired with a 4k TV, of course.

That way you have zero limitations besides your actual movie budget. While UHDs are region-free, most blu-rays aren't, and some of the best labels, like Arrow and Indicator, are Region B, while American labels are Region A. UK Arrow gets better sales and sometimes better releases than US Arrow.

I hesitated for years to upgrade beyond my PS4 for blu-rays, but I just decided to dive into the 4k UHD world at the start of covid because I couldn't go to the movie theater anymore, and I had just gotten my tax return. It's been incredibly worth it, though.

Some threads to follow:

The Physical Media thread for sales, updates on up-and-coming releases, and a place to share purchases or ask questions
Criterion Collection thread
The UHD, Blu-Ray & DVD Deals thread

You can also hop into the CineD discord, where we have a channel called Disc Picks that works as a more informal Physical Media thread.

And also, I check blu-ray.com usually every day just to see what's new, or to look up editions and see what they're rated, or to find new deals.

Thank you so much for all the reccs, Fran! Can’t wait to dive into all this!!!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Spatulater bro! posted:

Has anyone seen Pieces of Talent from 2014? It's a super low budget indie movie (~ $75,000), but it's absolutely top notch. It seems to only be available on Blu-ray/DVD directly from the director, but I absolutely encourage anyone who enjoys gory serial killer type horror to buy a copy. The acting, cinematography, story and gore effects are all A-grade. I can't believe a film this good is still relegated to the underground scene. This deserves to be on one of the major streaming sites. Shudder at the very least.

Here's the trailer, but warning it's fairly spoilery, so I suggest only watching up to the 1:30 point:
https://vimeo.com/50478243

Oh weird I know the woman who stars in this...we’re actors from the same hometown. Never heard of this.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

alf_pogs posted:

post-Alien chat, but RIP to Yaphet Kotto today

gently caress. I was literally thinking about him last week and how it’s awesome he’s around still, even if he’s not working. One of the all time great character actors. Never made something worse, always elevated material with his talent.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I have a VHS tape that has The Amityville Dollhousr on it, recorded straight from TV some random afternoon in 1998, commercial breaks totally intact, which feels like the ideal way to watch that movie

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Y’all remember Batman: Dead End? Lol that blew my loving mind as a 13 year old.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

fr0id posted:

I need help identifying a found footage horror movie. I watched it on streaming within the last 7 years. It was these two dudes who were trying to document paranormal stuff and by my recollection they went to the same graveyard multiple times and either saw weird stuff or got kicked out. As the film goes on, they argue with each other about whether its worth continuing. At the end of the film they both get captured and you watch them both tied up reconciling but ultimately being killed.

Anyone have any clue what this is?

It wouldn’t be Resolution would it?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Bro shut the gently caress up

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Get his rear end, SMG!!!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Gotta be try hard trolling come on lololol “everyone who lives in this great country is rich” gtfo

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Hollismason posted:

Also the writer of Fear Street is gay.

Lol so it literally fits into explosiveshits’ theory that you “write what you know.” He’s just assuming that his worldview is the “correct” one.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Blank Check is a really good podcast in general and their film talk is second to none but also they have YEARS of jokes/bits/callbacks that they do on their show all the time. But I can’t recommend it enough. Start back with the M Night miniseries and you can’t go wrong. So excited for the Two Friends to cover one of my favorite directors! And hey, it’s encouraging me to fill in the holes in Carpenter’s oeuvre! Very easy to do because I think almost every Carpenter film is currently streaming on some service currently.

Watched Assault on Precinct 13 and The Fog this week! They’re both loving great!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Basebf555 posted:

I'm curious where you would rank The Fog of the Carpenter films you've seen so far. Personally I rank it very highly, it's in my top-3 but I've always thought I was in the minority there. But then not long ago someone else posted that it was their favorite Carpenter film(maybe STAC Goat?) so maybe it's slowly rising in the consensus rankings.

Like, if we're making tiers then I would definitely put The Fog right up there in the top tier with Halloween and The Thing. I wonder if that's becoming the common opinion or if most people still put it in second tier with Prince of Darkness.

I thought it was great! It’s probably lower middle-tier Carpenter for me. But seeing as how Carpenter is one of my favorite directors, anything he directs from his “classic period” is gonna be awesome to me. I think the look and effects of the ghosts is one of the greatest ghost looks I’ve ever seen! I love how lush and bright the town looks when it’s daytime; it’s just a really beautiful area that Carpenter shoots with love. The cast is STACKED with Carpenter All-Stars, and the whole thing is barely 90 minutes (this is a good thing to me, short movies rock). I’d happily watch it again, and show it to other people.

Personal Carpenter rankings (I know I still have more to watch and I like all these movies)

The Thing
Halloween
Assault on Precinct 13
Escape from New York
They Live
Big Trouble in Little China
The Fog
In the Mouth Of Madness
Prince of Darkness

Edit: Forgot his segment in “Body Bags.” Add to that his performance in “Body Bags” and I’d honestly slot that in between “They Live” and and “Big Trouble.” What can I say, I really like that short!

Conrad_Birdie fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 9, 2021

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Both of those are good casting choices :colbert:

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I don’t think the Burton Addams series will be any good, but I am pleased when actors I like get cast in things and will be paid.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Kvlt! posted:

of i had my way every movie would star Robert Pattinson and Keith David regardless of genre. evrry movie

I could get behind this

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Pumpkinhead is so good. It’s that humid, sweaty, dripping Southern gothic that you don’t see in movies enough.. The scene with the witch is incredible. Almost a fable.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Any new or recently added movies on Shudder that are worth checking out? In the mood for a spook or two this evening.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

AHH F/UGH posted:

My friend had this take:

You shouldn’t be friends with this person lol

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
There’s absolutely no justification for Malignant being almost two hours long

I definitely expected something wilder after y’all hyped it up

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Edward Scissorhands

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

FreudianSlippers posted:

I bought some big tomes for research purposes.

The first ever printed collection of all surviving legal documents and letters pertaining to every single known case of witchcraft (or rather wizardry since almost all the accused were dudes) in Iceland from 1546 to 1772 in chronological order with explanations and introductions for each case but otherwise in the original spelling and sentence structure.

Its (obviously) a bit dry but the introduction briefly mentions a case in 1639 where a man was gripped with a "devil madness" and had to be tied to a post in the church. Which didn't do much good since he flailed and writhed with such intensity that he violently exploded.

I'm doing research for 17th century Predator/The Thing but accidentally stumbled unto 17th century Scanners.

Incredible

Also, Elvira is the best. So happy for her.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Hell loving yeah that rules

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Casimir Radon posted:

If they were going to do a Gonzo story he pairs much better with Rizzo, but I still had fun.

A Muppet Christmas Carol has a wonderfully creepy vibe to it. Enough to be horror-adjacent IMO

Yeah but Steve Whitmire was also Rizzo and since Disney sacked him Rizzo is definitely getting pushed into retirement.

Gonzo and Pepe were the main Muppets this time because they’re basically the only two “big” Muppets still voiced by their original Muppeteers.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Been having a great October so far, watching a lot of favorites and discovering some new ones, but feeing a little burnt out at the halfway point. Nothing is really piquing my interest at the moment. Can someone recommend some of the beaten path, particularly goopy movies that are on streaming services right now? I watched City of the Living Dead last week and that kicked rear end

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Retro Futurist posted:

I don't know why everyone is so hard in the VHS 94 wrap around. Like yeah, it's not the strongest story and the ending's dumb, but the individual interludes are like 30 seconds each

Those 30 seconds feature some of the worst acting I’ve ever seen captured on film tho

And the whole thing just ends in a wet fart

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Wtf no way

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I think Hammer Frankenstein is significantly better than Hammer Dracula tbh.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Karloff posted:

I do love how Hammer Frankenstein is just a full on supervillian. You lose the pathos but you get Cushing just deliciously owning the screen.

Yup it’s kinda this. It’s so fun to watch Cushing just be vile for an hour. And then you get an awesome and intense Monster segment. It just worked a lot more for me than Dracula.
Also honestly I liked the Hammer Sherlock Holmes a lot too. Super underrated.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Christine is really quite good.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Wolf of Snow Hollow is extremely a horror movie. Has multiple absolutely terrifying sequences. One of the better werewolf movies in recent memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

SlimGoodbody posted:

I quite enjoyed Wolf of Snow Hollow and thought that it was saying a lot of interesting things about violence, suspicion, misogyny, and more, but it's not a werewolf movie. It's Scooby Doo.

But those themes you’re listing are common themes IN werewolf movies!