Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

I was a bit underwhelmed by Us. I had a first watch last weekend and it didn't really catch for me. Kind of a lack of intensity, but still enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Midsommar was wicked.

It definitely had some beats that hit real hard.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Gave The Lighthouse a watch and didn't expect to be just quite that profoundly bored with the film.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

I enjoyed The Witch, but in retrospect after watching The Lighthouse I think I understand why; there were more than two characters and it has better defined acts. The Witch is also successful in that I'm intriuged with what is going on, The Lighthouse failed to ever set that hook for me.

As far as "getting" The Lighthouse I'm not looking for affirmation by the Scorcese-movie-opinion-approval metric.

Some people liked the movie and others didn't.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Sequels are something

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Hereditary had very good acting behind a tight narrative. Midsommar, in my opinion, had beautiful sets and pieces, but was sprawling to a fault.

Both are good and each one have a particular appeal.

I like Hereditary and Green Room more.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

VFW is about as good as Feast.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it has 100% less rape than Feast, and 100% more Fred Williamson

Yep. It is an ok, but not a great movie and no one should try to sell it as "Green Room, but with vets."

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

I think my expectations for movies needs to be adjusted.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

I can appreciate what I think they were going for, but holy poo poo was some of the dialogue/acting hack, which I get with the aesthetic. I guess I felt like they leaned in so hard to it that the characters weren't even characters, they just turned into wooden archetypes. If that was the goal of the style it worked.

IDK, I think I've become spoiled.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

That said I did appreciate the few moments between the main VFW buddies at the bar, and I wish the "bad guys" were fleshed out a bit more.

Yea that is a good point now that I think about it. It felt like the acting/talent was lopsided to the old guys and the baddies felt really poorly/under acted to me. I'll give it a couple of days and watch it again.

I also realized that I'm never funny on a comedy forum. Goddamnit.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

The final indignity that Pinhead suffered was the worst twist of the knife given that Clive Barker revisited the mythology in The Scarlet Gospels. There was pretty serious conversation that the book was ghostwritten to a degree.

The Barker movie that should be made is The Damnation Game.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Gospels is Barker at his least interested in his own work, or at least that's how I perceive it. Early Barker is best Barker.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Don't even speak to me if you didn't grow up watching a copy of Return of the Living Dead that had scan lines and video artifacting over the graveyard dance scene

Made for a confusing interpretation of female anatomy.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Hey everyone, if you want a copy of Tammy and the T-Rex I am giving away a copy, all you have to do is be willing to share a time a movie touched your heart in someway!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916830

Bonus points for Paul Walker related movie stories.

Running Scared stands up w Way of the Gun and both of those loving kick like few other flicks.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

If you want to get a bit below the HPL work check out Frank Belknap Long in general and Michael Shea's mythos writings. They are some of the highest quality of the genre that I've found.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Finally watched Midnight Meat Train. My girlfriend tried to get me to watch it for a while. I resisted because of the dumbass make but I actually kind of liked it. It was campy as hell and the twist ending was obvious from a mile away but it was neat.

A decent Barker adaptation.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

It features the most disgusting pizza ever put to film

New York style baybeeee

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

If you lost Henry it would just be Ben struggling to read and Marcus making music podcasts.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

But my ear drums would be intact and I wouldn't have to adjust the volume every 30 seconds.

Dang, you must have sensitive ears. I've never had that issue. Sound quality wise I've heard way worse podcasts.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Not super deep cut but The Pact, The Echo, and Diabolical are a fun run to throw on when I'm playing oxygen not included.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

...and Starfish, which is in Hulu right now. Got drat what an interesting piece of work.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry about being misunderstood by a 14 year old, DDD.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

I agree, you can't make me watch Us again.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

I am considered essential staff in my underground government laboratory and this thread will be the first to know if we wind up with a 245 trioxin situation.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I'M RUNNING THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN, AND I WANNA KNOW WHAT THE gently caress YOU'VE BEEN DOING WITH MY TIME!!!!!

Listen, I understand your concerns, but I'm going to need you to fill out these forms prior to evaluating your case.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Hahaha google wants to rent me the Invisible Man for $20.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Watched Luz last night and was pleasantly surprised. It differs a bit from the vibe of the trailer, but atmospherically it hit well on a couple beats. I enjoyed it once I figured out the pacing and set up. Think Beyond the Black Rainbow meets Warlock.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Is letterboxd app not working for anyone else right now?

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Is Midsommar gonna gently caress me up the way Hereditary did? Because I'm leaning towards watching it tonight but I'm in no head space to go through that again.

For me it was a similar intensity but very different environment and pacing. Hereditary lurches and drops while Midsommar grows and blossoms. I enjoyed Hereditary slightly more.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

In that case, I would wait.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

I watched the new Grudge and thought it was pretty good. Good Evil Dead reboot style vibe. Good characters. Good money and film work thrown at it. Is it spectacular? Nah, but its good.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

3 From Hell seemed like a pretty substantial downgrade from Devil's Reject in my opinion.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

The Evolution of Horror

THEY CALLED GREEN ROOM "FOLK HORROR".

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Baskin is the best Hellraiser sequel after part 2.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Requiem for a Dream

Leaving Las Vegas and Kids are pretty big bummers, too.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

I mean yea, in the same way Requiem does it but about drugs.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Rewatched Maniac Cop 3 and it still rips. I also got to find out that Refn is doing a remake of 1. gently caress yea.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

don't get your hopes up that info has been around forever and nothing ever came of it

Gotta have something to wait on. Speaking of I'll be waiting for The Collected too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

The Void has a particular theme and look that I enjoy. I know it falls down here and there, but mythos is a real big counter balance for me.