Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Hi I'm Stephen King and you might think things have changed, but I promise you I will poo poo the bed trying to write an ending...again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Yo watching crawl right now and it sucks

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

A VW bug with headlight eyelashes is a better actor than Barry Pepper

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

You are wrong and I'm sorry

This movie looks like a SYFY original that plays on a tuesday at 11 am

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Stryder posted:

If you want to have a Schumacher tribute but you're over Lost Boys and Flatliners, definitely check out Blood Creek. It kinda flew under the radar in 2009, but it's good stuff.

Blood Creek was fun and had some wild hubris.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Best Barker is the Damnation Game and with all the fuckery the Hellraiser movies have undergone it will remain as my horror hail mary.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

HeavingGirth posted:

Damnation Game is such a good book. It's a shame the majority of Barker adaptations end up not so great.

This statement brought to you by an individual that owns a theater poster of Rawhead Rex.

Rawhead & Skins of the Fathers are both great stories. The Damnation Game is just so sparse and mean that it rips.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Dude you acting gross stop and be chill.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Finally hosed around with a digital antenna enough to bring in Svengoolie for the first time in 9 years.

Hell yes.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

All The Void really needed was a small rewrite.

Great film though.

I think I agree. I felt like they tried to include a little too much extraneous stuff that didn't alley oop the core themes. You've committed to a stripped down cosmic horror/practical fx vision so just run hard with that. Maybe not quite Baskin hard, but you know, a balance.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Anyone ever watch the motocycle crash scene from Return of the Living Dead 3 and the scene from Hereditary in the same night?

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

dorium posted:

Luz was an interesting movie. It was shot exceptionally well. Outright beautiful and captivating in the cinematography in some parts and the play with a hypnotist and a possession was interesting. Whether or not I fully understood the story is another thing but otherwise it was pretty great for a tight 70 minute flick. I’d probably use it in a triple feature down the way.

I agree with you to most of that. Maybe it was the conceit of the film, but goddamn did I want more context. I bought it a year ago and have rewatched it twice. The atmosphere is gorgeous.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Making gun violence have the proper weight behind it is a quality I appreciate in a movie. The Lodge did well with that scene. Can anyone else think of other examples?

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I would agree. Saulnier has a talent for it. I think it can be fascinating and really hit when done right.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

weekly font posted:

Killing of a Sacred Deer

I've been waiting on this one so this gives me a reason to give it a go. Thanks!

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Hell yea. I've had this one ready to go, too.

Not gun related, well the movie is, but not this particular scene. In the vein of realistically approaching things other movies take for granted in Blue Ruin when Dwight slashes the tire on the limo and his hand slides up the blade. Goddamn was that visceral for me.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

gey muckle mowser posted:

It's extremely Cronenberg-y so if you like his father's work you should definitely check it out.

Well said. The Cronenberg vibe isn't totally my thing, but I certainly appreciated the movie. It seemed like it did a good job world-building that fed in nicely to the overall hit.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

married but discreet posted:

gently caress, speaking of horror comedies, Sheitan (2006) absolutely slaps, and is season appropriate to watch too. Vincent Cassel is an absolute gem, the entire movie is a hoot, highly recommended.

Hell yea, saw this years ago and still throw it on every now and again.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Watched Terror Train with Jamie Lee Curtis and it has an excruciating amount of magician content that I wasn't expecting.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Holy poo poo I did not realize that was David Copperfield. Everything somehow makes more and less sense.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I wish I was in the room when they were pitching Terror Train.

"OK, it's horror on a train and Jamie Lee is in."

"Sounds good."

"We also have, wait for it, David Copperfield. He's gonna be doing a lot of magic."

"Uh...ok?"

"...and it has something to do with New Years and a fraternity sorority thing going on!"

"Wait....what?"

"We have a great idea for an opening scene, too."

"?"

AKZ fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 15, 2020

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Confess posers! Confess your sins and embrace the open arms of Rob Zombie! Embrace horror salvation!

VFW loving sucks.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I made gifs from my rewatch of the best Black Christmas

AKZ fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 1, 2021

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

The Collector and The Collection are fun as hell. The Collection goes off the rails in the first 15 plus it has Bubbles from The Wire.

"I told you we should have cut his heels."

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Thanks for the hulu Alone rec spooky goons. Solid little movie.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Went soul searching and just wound up talking about my dick again.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Yuck.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Threw on Lost Boys and called it a night. As an aside it looks like Possum is on prime and looks solid af.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

I liked Possessor a lot but felt it didn't quite live up to the hype.

Agreed. To me it has an oddly restrained feeling to it and I'm not necessarily sure it benefitted from including some of the dreamy sequences.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

To me Hannibal came across as so contrived and drunk on it's own casting that I just found myself not caring about it at all despite the amazing set pieces.

*Will stares at camera empathically*

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

To be fair to the Hannibal TV show I am not a TV series viewer at all. I think I was burned out on Mads as well and it just failed to set the hook for me.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Motherfucking I Saw the Devil still gets a play about once a year around here.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I have seen this film once but boy howdy I can tell you- it's a dark treat and salaciously sadistic.

Apparently a remake is in the works but like Oldboy, I have little hope for it.

The Koreans have pioneered perversions that have been long forgotten in the west.

Yea hard pass on it if they pull an Oldboy style remake of it. Dude, do you channel Aleister Crowley on purpose or does it just kind of happen?

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Sab Sabbington posted:

Saw 2 is a really great movie that I actually revisit periodically

I'm kind of in the same boat. 1 and 2 are solid, but for wacky Saw antics 2 is more fun.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Untrustable posted:

This is from a few pages back but hard agree. It was probably in the top 3 for violent movies I watched last year. It's gore surpasses most slashers with it's realism and it's squishyness.

Hell yes, that stabbing in a few scenes is particularly visceral. White Boy Bobby loving rocks, too.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

More of a Wayne Static guy, personally.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Phantasm 2 is fun as heck and has a real NoES3 feel to it for me.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

The Damnation Game would make such a great movie in capable hands. OG Barker is awesome.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Tbf to Hellraiser 4+ sequels Clive (maybe?) phoned it in just as much with the Scarlet Gospels.

To avoid being negative Lord of Illusions is a fun one to throw on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you'd basically have to go all-in on portraying convicts and addicts in a sympathetic light. in a post-American Gods world I don't completely discount the possibility but unfortunately attitudes there still kind of suck

I haven't seen American Gods, so don't have a lot of context for that particular point. Idk though, the flawed hero is a pretty accessible concept and Carys was as much a prisoner of Whitehead as she was an addict. I haven't revisited the Damnation Game for a year or two so I might be omitting some nuance.

I just really appreciate the proto-cenobite style characters and Breer is a nightmare that could be really interesting with his assumed razor-eater mythology.