Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Dream Warriors is best part 3 tho. Ty Dokken.

Agreed.
:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Hahah goddamn dude stop digging.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Idk he sought out this bastion of the internet so he probably had like, 10 bucks, at least.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

endocriminologist posted:

Everyone!! Hello!! I like UFOs and aliens are there any good scary movies about this that you like! Also I’m gay and not a weird bigot

Hi & welcome. I think others have covered most of them, but I would throw in Altered (2006), which I think is solid. I remember Extraterrestrial (2014), but it got pretty mediocre reviews.

E: I could throw in Man VS (2015) too.

AKZ fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 5, 2021

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Watched Mulberry Street again and drat forgot how good it is. The lead up on it is so solid.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I think it's wild how entitled people get over stuff they had no hand in creating. Like goddamn, how do people fail to understand that every piece of media is not created specifically for them and designed to their taste?

I just do not understand the mentality of people like explosivo12. Some things aren't for you. It's fine. Be OK with it instead of trying to rail away and line it up in the crosshairs of your lovely ideology.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

That's a good point I hadn't thought about. It gives it all just such a performative stink to it.

C'mon kvlt, a van doing 75 came roaring in to the spooky cul-de-sac, hit a fire hydrant, flipped, burst into flames, and a weirdo crawled out and poo poo his pants holding lit sparklers.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

this reminds me of that scene in Trailer Park Boys where Julian gets in a car wreck and crawls out of the flipped car with his drink in his hand

Not trying to make a metaphor or anything i just always thought that scene was wicked funny

I remember that exact scene and it makes me laugh almost every time I think about it.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Upgrade and I was absolutely blown away. The action, characters, plot, style, and world were all absolutely perfect. One of the best action movies ever. 10/10.

gently caress yea. Upgrade is some near Gibson material.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

The Sprawl trilogy is good af Neuromancer, Count Zero, & Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson.

Kvlt! posted:

oh dope is there any book youd reccomend?

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Threw the best sticker ever on my water bottle

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

idgi whats it a sticker of

Not a fan of the beatles, I see.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Where did you get it from?

Redbubble came through.

Black Mountain Side was pretty solid. I'm a sucker for the theme/combo of subject matter.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Rob Zombie Helter Skelter > Motley Crue Helter Skelter >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Beatles Helter Skelter

I'm just talking poo poo it's Return of the Living Dead

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy for appropriate to the environment.
Copping Squid by Michael Shea because it's fun.
A collection of Frank Belknap Long for the weird.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I agree to an extent and it can be a barrier. For me, with Blood Meridian, it took awhile to hit the rhythm of letting it wash over me as I read. That book still gives me chills, and if you're camping while reading it for the first time, I envy that opportunity.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

The Cabin at the End of the World-- a married couple and their adopted daughter are held hostage by a group of people claiming the family will need to murder one of their members in order to stop the world from ending.

I read this trying to find new horror authors and found it pretty underwhelming. It felt like an amateur attempt to me and didn't click.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

That's fair. I did read it in the middle of a bunch of other stuff that didn't engage me, so maybe it got caught in the miasma.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I'm thinking I should revisit Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons, that thing rips.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I heard qt had a bed custom made in the shape of a giant foot

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I would be all in for more Event Horizon/Hellraiser/The Void/Baskin style other-plane/hell(or what we perceive as hell)-dimension horror.

I find the idea of our dimension being a tiny flickering match in a barely comprehendable gulf very cool.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

I don't really get scared of horror movies but if a horror movie manages to get me to care about a character then I fear for their safety or recoil and feel awful when they die. Like the Hills Have Eyes remake, that was some horrifying poo poo because I felt like I knew those characters a bit once poo poo went down.

Hills Have Eyes remake is good as hell and I own it. Thanks for reminding me of a great summer horror for this weekend.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I thought Come True was pretty good and the ending was just fine. I watched manhunter on Tuesday and they dovetailed nicely.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Don't forget the Raymond Watts project, Pig.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Trench 11, kind of?

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's about a beach that makes you old.

These spoilers are getting out of control

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I thought black summer was pretty good, only beef would be that none of the guns had any recoil if I remember correctly.

I haven't seen the second season.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

LemonLimeSoda posted:

I felt like Roanoke was the most consistently HORROR-like season

I agree. I could barely bother with having the other seasons on in the background.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

Tonight I watch The Void.

I would approve but the supervoids between the infinite pyramids are an absence of

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Burkion posted:

3 From Hell broke my heart.

Mine too, what goddamn letdown/why even make it.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Good approach Kvlt!, and good luck. Sometimes when a person gets a poo poo run of luck the urge to make choices that will make it worse can get pretty attractive. I've always regretted flying the plane into the mountain in retrospect of those circumstances.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Checked out Censor and it was ok the aspect ratio shifts seemed leaned on

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

*banging on the walls*

the collected
THE COLLECTED
THE COLLECTED

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Heck yea Books of Blood are a lot of fun. I like The Yattering and Jack.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Crossquote from the americana thread just for kvlt I present reincarnated captain spaulding

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Burkion posted:

Wait what that came out

?!?!

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I think I'm going to watch The Hills Have Eyes remake this labor day weekend.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Libra posted:

- Michael Myers just barely peeking out from behind an asteroid.

and occasionally piloting a small boarding craft leaving everyone wondering when he picked up his class 4 light spacecraft license

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I thought the ending of Come True was ok? Like the fangs were a misdirect for the cell phone message that was like "Holy poo poo she's in a coma/nightmare that the people trying to communicate with her are influencing, maybe inadvertantly, in unpredictable/nightmarish ways and this is now her existence."

Unless I'm misunderstanding it that seems pretty decent and unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

an owls casket posted:

The main thing in the spoiler is a meme that's been around for like a decade now. If I had never seen it before, it probably would have been effective-- even then, having the weird poo poo she's been experiencing all just be a dream is suuuuper cliché, regardless of how much they try to do around the periphery of that. I mean, if it worked for you, cool, but it made my eyes drat near roll right out of my head.

I get the cliche part of it and hear where you're coming from, I think. I guess for me it diverged enough from that particular cliche because the entire movie is about dreams, and usually when they break out the "it was all a dream" I picture it more as a positive relief rather than something that retroactively makes what the character experienced and is going to experience more chaotic and nightmarish.