Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I cannot wait. I hope they keep it goopy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

flashy_mcflash posted:

I've seen this and wouldn't call it tasteless. It's a bit of a slower movie and it's not about werewolves but I thought it was pretty well done.

WHAT. Well now I gotta watch it sometime.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

who will remind me that i should rewatch Possession every time i look at their avatar :cry:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

It does look pretty decent.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

This Toxic Avenger remake will happen. I will WILL it into existence.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

LET US COMBINE OUR ENERGIES. IT SHALL HAPPEN. IT WILL HAPPEN!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Was looking at that Walrus person's rap sheet and there's a gif that maybe looks like Christopher Lambert exploding into blue goo? What movie is that?

Fortress

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I was never a fan of Willy Wonka. Never cared for the movie or the story :shrug:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I love Christine already, but having one of my favorite show runners directing a remake? I'm cool with that. Bryan Fuller is the only person I could think of that could maybe top a Carpenter film and could adapt a King property with his own spin and pinache.

now finishing it is a whole other story. hopefully Blumhouse knows what he's getting into and just lets Fuller go and do the work.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Franchescanado posted:

Wasn't it, oddly enough, the first Carpenter film to get a 4k UHD release?

I know it was the first 4k UHD I bought.

It was the first by like 2 weeks. Halloween UHD came out on the 28th of September 2018, Christine dropped 10th of September 2018.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I liked part 1 and 2 of the conjuring movies. the spin-offs range from a pile of crap to unwatchable. havent seen the third though.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

I was 3 years old

you goddamn baby.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

A semi-recentish episode of an online movie chat about show talked about PG and they really nailed down that the girl character is the lynchpin to it all. Either you learn to love her or she just runs rough shod over the easily enjoyable parts of the movie. It can be a hard movie to love and that’s alright.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I still waffle on PG. a more refined sequel with a bigger budget to afford another set and some more monstars and more hunky boys.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I could see a PG x Toxie crossover movie being cool. We need more weirdos in costumes shouting weird things and pulling spines out of butt holes and stuff.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Justin Godscock posted:

It's funny you mention that because The Lost World, directed by Spielberg, has some pretty grim and dragged-out deaths worse than the assistant in JW. I mean, I remember watching it in theatres when I was 12 and being rattled when that guy just gets straight-up murdered by the T-Rex outside that video store.

Legit Eddie’s death in JP2 still haunts me. He did. Absolutely no wrong. He was just a tech guy with a heart of gold trying to save like not even his friends. They were practically coworkers but still he took care of the stowaway daughter and dealt with 2 trexes admirably but still got flipped in the air and ripped in half like a spaghetti noodle. Now that’s an unfair death, but I also guess that just highlights how unfair the world of dinosaurs is. Like how many times did those dinosaurs in world pull that same routine with each other using smaller dinosaurs. That was far too perfect to be done off the cuff. Brutal brutal dinosaur world.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I honestly dont remember chris pratt being super important to the movies at all. like bryce dallas howards character is much more the lead than anyone else. Chris pratt is there to look good and say the line.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

do ppl really throw on 28 days later and go "wow the grain is reminiscent of impressionist colors" and im just a dummy or is this some intellectual online posturing poo poo i genuinely can never figure this out

Yes. That's why I bought a digital recorder way back when after seeing 28 Days Later in a theater. Always wanted to recreate a shot like that. poo poo was cool as hell and seeing that movie at 13 years old I was quite impressionable.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

drat youre old

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

6=7 > then i dont care about the order of the rest.

6 & 7 are the series perfected form.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnQOO8Y1Ck0

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

WeaponX posted:

It’s still just so weird that you have the Resident Evil games which are very much so, based on horror with an emphasis on survival. The first one takes place in essentially an old-school haunted mansion with all sorts of monsters, your character is very vulnerable with limited ammunition, and the whole vibe is all about suspense.

So instead of making an actual horror film, or even a zombie film, they made a very generic action movie with a protagonist that is an invincible Mary-Sue and very little suspense. I know if you made a one to one remake of the game it might feel a bit unoriginal since it was very inspired by horror media but it would certainly be better than what we got. And I even have a bit of a soft spot for the movies (mostly nostalgia for that era) but seems like a missed opportunity.

The original George Romero script was an “adaptation” of the first game

https://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/resident_evil_romero.html

This was rejected by the EP of Constantin. George assumed they rejected it because the studio wanted it to be more of a prestige film and less an adaptation. Real reason is it would be too gory for German audiences which Constantin is a German production company.

Read the script to find out why I did the finger quotes on “adaptation”.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

feedmyleg posted:

I'd be curious to see the correlation between folks who like/dislike the Resident Evil movies and folks' preferences on the Alien franchise. I suspect there would be some pretty clear camps.

S-Tier: Alien
A-Tier: Aliens, Prometheus, Covenant / Resident Evil 1
B-Tier: Alien 3 / Resident Evil 2,4
D-Tier: Alien 4 / Resident Evil 3,5,6

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

predator isnt apart of this discussion or else we have to bring in Robocop and the Fast and Furious franchises.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

i havent seen fast and furious are they any good
There is a definite tier to the quality of the movies, but the franchise being a billion dollar action series is well warranted and deserved. Fast 5 is one of the greatest action movies of the decade. Right up there with Fury Road.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

drat that's high praise. Do I need to watch the others or can I just pop in 5?

There is character growth and progression between the movies and a soap opera amnesia storyline. So like if you have a long weekend and want to really dig into the series its an easy recommend. It's an interesting franchise to watch grow because the first one is very grounded and a fun summer flick that is definitely a pre-9/11 action movie so it learns all these weird lessons and cuts from the 90's action films infused with a late 90's soundtrack without the baggage of 9/11 and being afraid to show death and destruction.

Must Watch: 1, Tokyo Drift (3), 5, and 7
B-tier: 4, 6
C-tier: 2, 8

I like em for all sorts of reasons and its been cool to see a franchise largely led by minorities and such a wide ranging cast succeed so often with each movie.

skip Hobbes and Shaw if that ever falls into your radar. that movie is death.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

gey muckle mowser posted:

5 and 6 are both really good, haven’t seen most of the others. I don’t think I’d go as far as to call them Fury Road level, but as far as big dumb action movies go they are definitely some of the best

e: and no it doesn’t matter if you’ve seen the others

5 is definitely Fury Road level. Comparable in stunt complexity, design, clarity in following the action and progressive story beats that leads into easily top 5 car chases of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaHxGu5YeKM

Kvlt dont watch it if you dont want it spoiled, but the work that went into making the final action scene possible was just incredible work and if they gave out Oscars for stunts would've easily nabbed it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Fast Five has one really good car chase but that does not make it Fury Road level imo. still worth a watch if you like car chases though.

yea what pushes it past fury road is the two big dumb meat heads throwing each other through walls and across rooms. it was the pre-fight to kong vs godzilla.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Benito Cereno posted:

(I’m pretty shocked Broad City came in deadass last, but that’s probably my fault for thinking people would recognize their names)

A lot of people haven’t forgiven them for the Hilary Clinton episode. That one ruffled a lot of feathers more than you’d think.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

Would you rather fight a Predator sized Ghoulie or 100 Ghoulie sized Predators?

a ghoulie sized predator seems like a sequel to Small Soldiers and those dudes were tough to kill.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Cant say im a big fan of any of the Anderson directors.

The Master might be the only PT Anderson movie I really liked a lot. The rest were fine.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

EL BROMANCE posted:

He's the director who makes films that I know are good and have great acting performances in but absolutely struggle to get any enjoyment out of. Even The Master, which I was so wanting to love.

That’s where I come in on it. Same goes with Aronofsky. They’re technical marvels, especially something like mother! Where I was floored by just the set design, cinematography and ostentatious of it all but when you start breaking down a lot of his movies it’s all varying levels of shock and awe that while a fun theater going experience and maybe even a good movie he never hits the emotional merits that he wants to hit. The Wrestler is his crowning achievement. It’s so subdued, incisively emotional and heavy, but not heavy for heavies sake. It earns all of his high points and more.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Watched The Horror of Dracula last night, pretty good. It was a nice come down movie. Short and sweet and very to the point. No fat on that flick at all.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I live across the street from a library, might as well be a cemetery LOL.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kvlt! posted:

Also RZ's Halloweens

they said forgotten not "wish we could forget".

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, Berberian is definitely the go-to comparison for sure, and I quite like that it brings you into the madness but not so much to the point where the plot starts becoming too incoherent. Thought it did a great job of really pushing the 80s-ness heavily, the poliics, smoking, treatment of women etc. It's heavily done, but not silly. Stuck the landing for sure, which made me super happy.

For anyone not so familiar with the video nasty politics in the UK, then I'd heartily recommend watching Video Nasties Moral Panic, Censorship & Videotape prior just to get a feel of everything. It's essential viewing regardless. https://www.shudder.com/movies/watch/video-nasties-moral-panic-censorship--videotape/2898255

I had to laugh when she was given a tape that she was told was terrible quality copy, expecting a 10th gen dub but it plays back perfectly and has full color boxart and everything. Not exactly how my boots looked!

Berbian but also Evil Ed. In fact that would be a great triple feature of Berbian into Censor and the midnite movie is Evil Ed.

Censor was cool, everyone go watch it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Hollywood is always doomed. Every year, every trend and every director is the next death knell of Hollywood. We’re giving the director of Who Made The Potatoe Salad? A Jaleel White vehicle far too much credit.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

TCM2 has been playing on Pluto TV so I’ve been watching that this evening. There’s something to just watching movies with commercial breaks sometimes. Having a scheduled snack run or bathroom break is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL6R3HmQfPc

dorium fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

That looks so loving good