Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I watched The Incredible Shrinking Man last night and was really surprised by the melancholy tone. The increasingly large props and special effects were great for 1957. Its pulpy sci-fi with horror elements but the entire plot is just him accepting that he’s just going to continue shrinking into the infinite. If you’re doing an atomic horror or 50’s era I would highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Cemetary Man looks insane. It also looks like it’s on YouTube. Recommended?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Screened Cemetery Man for friends last Thursday and it was a big hit. Tonight I’m gonna screen Brain Damage. Hopefully that goes well. Here’s a list of potential hits I’ve gathered if we decide for a third one. None of these I’ve seen, so if there are more surefire crowd pleasers let me know:

The Brain (1988)
Black Sabbath (1963)
Robot Monster (1953)
Mystic in Bali (1981)
The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires (1972)

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Hosted a vampire double feature tonight and it was awesome. For some reason this years crop of horror movies have been quite the bangers:

The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires (YouTube): Kick rear end Kung fu and Peter Kushing being awesome around China. Shaw Bros and Hammer horror what’s not to love.

Planet of the Vampires (Amazon): another genre-bender with sci-fi this time. You can absolutely see the influence this had on Ridley Scott’s sci-fi films, especially Prometheus. A twisted (and cheap) Forbidden Planet.

Highly recommend both.

Since I scroll here for movie ideas, I’ll post what I’ve seen so far this month for others.

Carnival of Souls: only watch this after midnight or the magic is ruined.
The Exorcist: GF’s first time. Amazon has the original cut if you care about that (I do).
The Incredible Shrinking Man: incredibly maudlin and well done.
The Curse of Frankenstein: so far has stuck out as the most ‘Halloween’ feeling.
The Fly 1958: The final scare is surprisingly creepy.
The Descent
Cemetery Man: total insanity.
Fiend Without a Face: the exact 50’s b-movie I wanted.
Brain Damage: hilarious and awesome. Big rec.
House of Frankenstein: second place for ‘Most Halloween’.
The Invisible Man 1933: classic.
Halloween: Also GF’s first time. Which got me to see this with fresh eyes again, which is always nice.
Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978
Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires
Planet of the Vampires

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 19, 2020

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Anyone have a favorite Hershell Gordon Lewis picture?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’ve been streaming movies with friends all October, but tonight I would like something a little higher in quality than the weird junk I’ve been showing them. I want to show them something old, black and white, heavy on mood and available for streaming.

I’m thinking The Black Cat 1934, White Zombie, or The Old House (not limited to this). Not having seen any of these myself, what would best fit the bill?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

"old, black and white, heavy on mood"

Strongly recommend looking into these to see if they interest you/yoru friends might dig them:

Curse of the Demon (1957)
Fall of the House of Usher (1928)
Kuroneko (1968)
Onibaba (1964)
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (1922)
Vampyr (1932)

Thanks for this list. I’ve seen some but look forward to the ones I haven’t.

I ended up screening The Innocents (1961), which was on YouTube in a pretty great print. I have to say, the movie was excellent. One of, if not the best ghost story I’ve seen on film.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

married but discreet posted:

Mad God gave me heavy 90s video game cutscene vibes, in the best possible way.

I was constantly thinking of Tool music videos. But I wanted to chime in and say Mad God was great. I got to see it in a theater and I think it will be a future classic if it’s treated well (ie a good physical release and strong word of mouth).

I also watched Crimes of the Future this week and nearly had to walk out of the theater to compose myself but I’m glad I stuck it through. It’s so bleak and nauseating but I think it’s the most concise rumination on transhumanism that Cronenberg has ever made. I can’t recommended to everyone but I think it’s a masterpiece.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Do you people like Shudder? I hear about some exclusive stuff they have every now and then that sounds great like The Devils or Mad God but do you feel you get your value out of your subscription?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Skinamarink owns. An instant classic for me. Successfully pulls off the feeling of an inescapable nightmare which is the highest praise I can give a horror movie.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Wasn’t there a script/Lucas idea floating around for an Indy sequel where he’s literally trapped in a haunted house?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Mexican horror movie marathon at a theater near me. Never heard of any of these but I love a good trashy violent movie, and I want to see what Mexico has to offer. Which is the night to go?

Friday:
Dimensiones Ocultas (1989)
Navajeros (1980)

Saturday:
La Venganza de le Llorona (1974)
Santo y Blue Demon vs. Dracula y El Hombre Lobo (1970)

Sunday:
El Violdaor Infernal (1988)
“A Secret Mario Almada Title”

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Lovely knowing I have a neighbor in Punkin Spunkin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

El Santo does indeed rule but it should probably be noted that it's more akin to a Batman movie than it is horror, in case you're really set on seeing something "trashy and violent."

I just got out of the screening and had a blast. Ticket came with two tacos. Loved seeing El Santo and Blue Demon in sweaters playing chess while their niece is literally being hypnotized by Dracula in the same room. And both of the films end with children being put through horrible misadventures, while all the adults go ‘Hmm will this scar her for life? Nah, we’ll just say it was a dream.’

A+