Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Checking in to also say V/H/S owns.

There's loads of fantastic underappreciated portmanteau/anthology films. I just recently saw Deadtime Stories for the first time and that was a hilarious mess. Great watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

I dragged six of my friends to the midnight showing of IT part 1, there's literally zero chance any of them will come see the second part - midnight or not - with that runtime. Oh well.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Goddamn was Quatermass II ahead of its time.

It's brilliant! Actually love the trilogy so much and just got the BBC Pit series on bluray.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

I will cop to getting angrier and angrier at scene after scene of endless driving/walking where nothing happened, or if it did it took ten minutes to do what should have taken 2 when there's no threat or conflict to ScarJo because every Scotsman willingly just follows a random girl into a spooky house because they're ruled by their dicks.

I get the arc, it just was so so so slow-paced and we're given absolutely nothing to the characters other than "ScarJo evil huntress, dudes horny" for over an hour. The complete lack of meaningful dialog for the entire movie is an artistic choice that I absolutely hated.

I just couldn't find any conflict at all in the first hour. She cruises for single men, captures them, and that's it. There's never any threat or challenge, nothing is learned about her character, none of the men matter or resist in any way, she just plans to seduce them and then effortlessly does. Hooray. This is well worth over an hour of runtime.

May your realisation of how much of a massive dork you're being about this movie come to you quicker than it ever did to me on countless other cool movies.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

Someone mentioned the Dead Meat Youtube/podcast on this thread and I have to say it's so refreshing to have a chill dude head up one of these horror fan channels. He's like the antidote to the hyenas on Last Podcast on the Left, I really liked the effort he takes to not be a complete arse. Particularly his trigger warning on school shootings before his Presidents Day Kill Count (released in the aftermath of the Florida school shooting) and the comment left about having discussions on representations of Trans peeps on the TERRIFIER podcast episode.

Dead Meat is cool and good.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

NoES 2 is really good, gently caress all haters

I agree, but only strongly since my last watch through the series a few weeks ago. For some reason my rest of series ranking went from something like 7, 4, 5, 2, 6 15 years ago to 2, 6, 4, 7, 5. I think Rachel Talaly rules and deserves credit for having fun in a simple slasher tale that doesn't get too bogged down in lore. 2 just straight up owns.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What are some good horror movie podcasts? I've been listening to Nightmare on Film street lately and I really enjoy them (both of the host just love horror movies so much!), but unfortunately I've almost made it through their entire backlog and now I'm hungry for more.

The podcasts can neither be positive or negative in nature, I'm just as happy to listen to people complain about movies they hate as I am excited to listen to people praise movies they love.

Faculty of Horror takes an academic/social studies look at classic horror movies and is one of the best podcasts I've subscribed to. It's co-hosted by Andrea Subisatti who is editor of Rue Morgue magazine where Alexandra West is a bit more of a sociologist/academic type.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j91_B0D2xIQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j91_B0D2xIQ

Is there a better melting man scene than this? Love those practical melting effects more and more.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

I watched all the Friday the 13th's this summer (but crammed in V-IX over the weekend). Boy, those middle movies are all way better than I remember but I really appreciated the gore/SFX in Jason Goes to Hell - they really pushed the boat out. It's loving daft and I'm not normally one to be suckered in by easter eggs but the Necronomicon/dagger were very cool to see. What a strange movie, I didn't hate it.

Island of the Fishpeople/Screamers on Amazon Prime really surprised me, it's kinda stupid voodoo too much of the time but also there's a scene with a straight up in-colour classic Creature from the Black Lagoon - complete with pulsing flesh, mad eyes and sharp teeth - front and centre and I loved it. The horror-adventure sub-genre needs more movies.

RobbZombae fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 16, 2019

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

Is now a good time to also say I love Letterboxd and say I have a bunch of horror subgenre lists (each with a ranked list of films I've seen and then a watchlist) I'd love to have recommendations on?

https://letterboxd.com/killerbobb/tag/horror-subgenre/lists/

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

Even if it has the wrong title (it's an adaptation of The Shadow Over Innsmouth), Gordon's Dagon holds a special place in my heart for being just bonkers and enthusiastic about what it's trying to do and I love it. Plus, it has one of the nastier skin de-glovings in horror history.

Dagon owns, it's my favourite Lovecraft adaptation by a long ways.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

I watched a few episodes of Cursed Films on Shudder, ending with The Twilight Zone. I was afraid the episode would dive into a silly "curse" but instead was a pretty well put together examination of the incident and nailed the piece of poo poo Landis to the wall. His culpability is laid bare for all to see, he really should have spent years in jail and his career should have been over. This episode juxtaposes careless big Hollywood with Lloyd Kaufman which is .

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I think the Cursed Films series has generally done a good job of:

A) Introducing and explaining the "curse."
B) Explaining why "curses" are silly and we just see patterns where we want to or when it helps us cope.
C) Shaming us for turning genuine tragedy that people are suffering through into another form of entertainment.

The Crow and Poltergeist entries are especially really good with that and I'll be watching Twilight Zone today.

The Exorcism episode leaping to show a "genuine exorcist" for half of the runtime (and the really awkward treatment of random people) was a mistake because they didnít really come for him as hard as they should have. Poltergeist episode really was good at that though, I loved the Zelda interview.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Jesus, the Twilight Zone episode of Shudder's Cursed Films has me in tears. Its an incredibly effective piece on the loving terrible arrogance and recklessness Landis and others were guilty of. I'm kind of wrecked.

I thought the overall series was good and the Crow and Poltergiest episodes were especially good. But this episode is definitely the worthy finale and thing you should see if nothing else. But be warned, its serious and you see footage of the fatal accident.

It just occurred to me I probably should have given a content warning on the footage being shown, sorry. To be honest the show really should have done so and given the viewers a chance to look away if they wanted to. I guess it makes sense to show it (at least from that wide shot, I've seen the closer angle and it disturbed me for years) in the context of Landis getting away with it and still being celebrated in the horror community decades later. Just shocking and angering to see that footage but this could be a full series in of itself.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

Human Tornada posted:

I believe the original intention was to show the Poltergeist episode as the premier, which ended with the guy saying "[Dominique Dunne] was stabbed to death, which has gently caress-all to do with a skeleton" which was the thesis statement of the show going forward and might have put the exorcism scenes in a different light before the reveal that he's fully full of poo poo. But they wanted to coincide the premier with the streaming of The Exorcist so the episode order got shuffled around.

Anyways I'm glad they took a more mature approach to "cursed films" over cheap mysticism empty calories.

That'll explain why The Exorcist and Poltergeist episodes are labelled wrong on my Shudder channel, then. A very good series, I'm going to check out Horror Noir next and hope the quality keeps up.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

CRAYON posted:

Last night I watched Grizzly, and while overall I think they failed with "jaws on land" does anyone have any recommendations that fit the premise?

Razorback.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

I would really like Eli Roth and all his work to disappear from existence.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

So I watched Memory Alien last night and it was cool but really weirdly unbalanced and short. If you double-feature it with Jodorowsky's DUNE it might satisfy but you do have to wonder how Elm Street, Hellraiser and Friday the 13th can garner HOURS LONG relatively successful documentaries and this was just an hour and a half. Surely it's time for a 6 hour Alien doc? I'd watch the poo poo out of it.

Also PSA Alien Isolation is £1.50 on Steam today, fantastic horror video game I highly recommend.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

"Memory Alien" is a fantastic title.

That was me being lazy. It's MEMORY: ORIGINS OF ALIEN and the first 5 minutes are arty as gently caress then it becomes a talking head-a-thon. Stealing the title for my next short, though.

I love the extras on the quadrilogy boxset, probably those and Evil Dead 2 extras is what made me fall so in love with film.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

gey muckle mowser posted:

Halloween 6 trip report: maybe itís only because I was expecting total crap, but... I kinda liked it? Itís a mess for sure but it was also much more entertaining than 4 or 5 were to me.

Dr. Loomis is at his most unhinged in 5 and it's super entertaining. Also there's that scene where Michael steals a sweet rear end car that might be my favourite non-original movie Myers kill.

https://twitter.com/RobbJayne/status/1263277427868012545

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah I think I like 5 more than 6 just for the maximum Loomis content, but it's kind of boring any time he's not on screen or when Michael isn't killing someone. The whole set up and payoff with Mikey and the car is great though.

Triple feature sync-watching a bunch of zombie movies today with some relatives while video chatting, a great evening. Re-Animator and Day of the Dead so far, watching Return of the Living Dead now. I forgot how loving awesome Day is, I think I might like it more than Dawn.

So good.

https://twitter.com/RobbJayne/status/1263277864327282688?s=19

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

Watching all the Critters sequels followed by the Ghoulies sequels the next night may have snapped my brain a little but I thought Ghoulies 4 was a riot (despite not featuring the drat GHOULIES). It's more like a Samurai Cop than a Gremlins riff but it has so many silly little ideas that are pulled off well and laughs that hit - I just can't hate it.

Wikipedia says there is a Ghoulies novel but my Google-fu skills fail me there.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

I love the streaming idea, if it's set up for some films I can't find from the Horror Directors World Cup I'll have to make the effort to stay up late into the cold Scottish night and hang out with y'all.

I watched all the Hatchet movies and they just stink of Horror fanboy with not a lot else going for them. Brutal kills are fun gifs, maybe? The last one where they switched from giving some old horror actors a paycheck to show how awful they are at acting; to casting a bunch of comedians and Felissa Rose was the best of them. Jonah Ray's marriage proposal was very funny.

I can't figure out if Robert Englund's 3 minutes of excruciating screentime or Zach Galligan's painful Southern accent was the series lowpoint.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I increasingly hated Hatchet which each movie I saw and then I watched Digging up the Marrow and I just had to stop because I hated the guy too much so I never got to Victor Crawley.

You missed the "highlight" of the series.

I watched all the Wrong Turns before this and have Underworld lined up next, the Horror World Cup may have been justified in kicking these films out super early. ...why am I a completionist POS? Oh, suffer.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Underworld Blood Wars, the fifth and so far final one, is a movie in which, at one point in a battle sequence, two dudes unload uzis into each other and then go RAAAAAARGH at each other so hard that the bullets all just go "nope gently caress this i'm out" and flop onto the floor

STAC Goat posted:

The Underworld movies are stupid, stupid movies but its a brand of stupid that I can see someone enjoying if they REALLY liked the Matrix or played White Wolf games or something.

Okay I am officially on the Underworld hype train. I sleepy watched the first one when it was first out on home release... but yeah, this might be what I need.

CelticPredator posted:

The best thing Adam Green ever did was his podcast. Itís sincerely helpful.

Digging Up the Marrow is pretty good, he played a lovely version of himself on purpose.

I'll be checking that podcast out but I really liked Frozen and think it shoulda been a bigger deal. (It has more going for it than the catchy theme song and doll merchandise).

Origami Dali posted:

I watched the Maniac Cop trilogy last night for the first time in decades and had remembered nothing. The first was a solid low budget B movie. Nonsense plot, but fun enough, with a good cast. Part 2 was a big jump up in quality, and was an excellent genre pic. Sleazy, far better cinematography, the set pieces are great, Robert Davi owning it, and it's got a nice weird streak to it. Too bad they couldn't bring back Tom Atkins. The plot was still nonsense but who cares. Part 3 was a snoozer that forgot to include the Maniac Cop in a movie called Maniac Cop 3.

This got me hankering for some good night in the big city horror films. You know, deserted sidewalks under the streetlights, grimy alleys, dingy bars, seedy clubs, the flash of a blade under a neon sign, maybe synth on the soundtrack. Maniac, Maniac Cop, NY Ripper type poo poo. I know Basket Case is NYC horror, but I remember it mostly taking place inside an apartment building. Anything else notable?

WOLFEN for New York... but maybe not very dingey as far as I remember it.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

I enjoyed Paul Schrader's DOMINION: PREQUEL TO THE EXORCIST. It is way better than Renny Harlin's version anyway. The Brits vs the Africans is a little one-note, it runs half an hour too long and there's a Holocaust connection that is pretty crass BUT the demon and the weird janky arthouse effects made me loving poo poo myself. The connection between colonialism, christiandom and white supremacy/SATAN was kinda metal and the cheap-terrible CGI began to work for the film. I mean I wouldn't go out of my way to see it but it's sure something.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

So my horror friends, Iím doing a trick or treat fan film. I didnít want too but a buddy of mine is doing fan films for things he never saw for his channel so he can get views, and after I mentioned being interested in doing trick r treat, he decided that he wants too now as well.

Sam is my favorite horror character of all time. I just donít want someone who doesnít care doing anything with him.

I wrote this script a bit ago in October, and itís starting to move quick. I got the last costume in stock, I ripped off the mask from my life sized Sam prop thing and just need to cast.

Can you let me know if this script works?

Thereís some stuff I want to change like maybe adding a fun stinger ending but for the most part itís basically done.

Iíve been a fan of this movie since it came out so I hope I kinda nailed a bit of the tone here. But if I ddI t Iíd rather be called out now instead of later.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lZs-8TTscELzgFM_jLhA29V6R73jb_-a/view?usp=drivesdk

I was determined to reply to you telling you to make it an original character and read it trying to figure out a way to make Sam someone else. But I couldn't. This is really neat and I enjoyed reading it. I'd still be tempted to do a Sam knockoff so if you film it you can do what you want with it without worrying about copyright.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

Everyone knows Mr. Zombie's next film should be Werewolf Women of the SS.

CelticPredator posted:

First off thank you, glad you dug it!

So the the thing is, these filmmakers I was working with wanted to do some fan films for their channel, for fun. Which yeah idk, if we're gonna do fun stuff like that I'm down. I threw out the idea to do trick r treat. I wrote the script very very quickly. Filmmaker A didn't know what it was. Months later he says he really wants to make it now, and came up with his own story for it. He's never seen the movie. He's only read the wiki and watched clips.

I told him how much the film means to me, and that like, Id like to direct it. Slowly ive been pushed out of this filmmaker group, and have barely had any contact with them. On their insta, they mentioned doing a Trick 'r Treat fan film. I told my friend, filmmaker B, who's a part of the group recently I still wanted to do it. But since no one asked me updates about it, I'm going to assume that Filmmaker A is just going to do it anyway.

This is petty and doesn't matter, but for me, it's really insulting and hurts. So I'm gonna make this myself. Either he makes a fan film to something he isn't a fan of for views, or I make it because I love this character.

Most of what I've been writing has been original. I just have fallen out with everyone and I can't really get help at the moment. Sucks but...eh.

Have you made many shorts?

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

Watched Scream, Queen! My Nightmare on Elm Street on Shudder and I felt like it did a pretty good job of encompassing the journey that movie has went through over 25 years. It was the film that terrified me as a kid and then became the "bad movie" to dunk on once I was old enough to own the DVD boxset (although the flaming budgie was the highlight for me). I never had a great affinity for it but delighted the queer studies lens has given it a fresh lease on life. What Mark Patton went through as a gay actor was heart-breaking.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

Jedit posted:

IMDb did a gallery of scream queens a few weeks back. Mark Patton was about third in and the only guy.

There was a cool few minutes in In Search of Darkness (also available on Shudder) where the term scream queen and final girl came up and I think it was Caroline Williams who said "Scream queen? Final girl? Uh, where I'm from it's called being the drat lead actor!" (or something along those lines). Although I have written academic essays using the term liberally I think that's a real point, probably says more about the perceptions on the horror genre than the genre itself. It is pretty cool to see the terms being owned by the actors who have been labelled with it though, Mark Patton especially.

Oh, the Jesse t-shirt he sells on tour is sweet.

Although I'd kill for a shirt with crosses on it like he wears in the actual movie.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

My Twitter Account posted:

I mean, it's a long-running horror trope. If this analysis is valid then it's also true of something like The Hills Have Eyes.

Also, the analysis is absolutely backwards: Eden Lake is a movie about an insular community that has always taken care of itself fighting back against bourgeois interlopers. Like, there's a whole setup at the beginning where they talk about how the beautiful lakeside forest was about to be torn down to build a gated community. They're all upset that the new community would ruin their secret little vacation spot without it ever occurring to them that they're doing the same thing to someone's home.

The bourgeois interlopers are framed as the protagonists not the antagonists. They live aspirational middle-class lives in London, are attractive and are victimized throughout. The working class are seen as bullying, violent misanthropes throughout with the spicy twist at the end that the older generations are as bad as the youth knife gangs. You have a take here, but to consider the original analysis "absolutely backwards" doesn't really make sense. Looking at this film through a working class lens is tough work and not worth it, especially when a film as fun and great as ATTACK THE BLOCK came out a few years later.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

It's important that the characters whose lives will be impacted the most by the coming changes, the children, are the ones who finally have enough and decide to fight back. Jenny and Steve are only framed as the protagonists because they're never given the introspection to have an "are we the baddies?" moment. Both of the kids Jenny kills, Cooper and Paige, had already ditched Brett and would probably have been able to help her. She almost has that moment, but it doesn't stick; she's too blinded -- not just by what happened to her boyfriend, but, deep down, because her "superiority" has been challenged.

edit: Jenny's "almost" moment comes after she stabs Cooper, and I just realized this scene is foreshadowed earlier when Steve almost hits Jenny with a socket wrench: convinced she's surrounded by enemies, she kills someone who was on her side.

She automatically trusts the adults because they're adults, just like she automatically distrusted the kids because they're kids. She assumes they'll help her because she's from a social class that can't comprehend the existence of a place that doesn't belong to them.

The "fight back" is against adults attempting to exert some authority over the kids, which is framed around the abusive household of the main antagonist Brett who resents his father. When unassuming adult strangers attempt to ask Brett and his friends to turn down their music they are given the impetuous drive to bully and harass them (just like the small kid they bully on their introduction in the film; who likely lives in the area) which escalates to cold-blooded torture and murder. The film is made in the middle of the ASBO (anti-social behaviour order) era where knife crime, grime music and youth gangs were seen as signs of social degradation and tabloid front pages gladly flew off the shelves announcing that daily. The idea that working class families were violent, abusive wasters is nothing but affirmed in Eden Lake which ends with Brett donning the expensive sunglasses he stole and looking in the mirror with a smile as screams are heard from downstairs. There is no reflection, no celebration of invaders ousted or yuppies put in their place - there is only a landscape where bullying might overcomes all.

There is some commentary on the area being turned into a private gated community which the protagonists mock in the beginning; but as the movie progresses I don't see how the makers of the film make any effort to assuage any conclusions that there may well be a need for gates and division in housing developments.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I have to revisit Attack the Block, I found it impossible to sympathise with the kids after the mugging and home invasion scenes.

Please do!

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

What you're neglecting is that it never has to get to this point, because all they have to do is leave. They're not immediately attacked, they're given ample opportunity to say "OK, we don't belong here." But they don't, because they don't believe that.

That isn't true, their car is stolen for a "joyride" (check another middle class Tory fear from the checklist!) before it gets to the point where it's serious enough to consider leaving. In fact the joyride even interrupts the idyllic white middle class marriage proposal because Britain can't have nice things while the working class youth are allowed to run wild.

An alternative reading of Eden Lake where King Kong is actually the good guy doesn't work because it's an overtly classist story in the most loathsome way. At least King Kong slaps.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

Tarnop posted:

Hmm ok I need to do some testing from my desktop then, because that's the same configuration I'm using on fire tv (which is just an Android box)

Do you happen to know a movie that's on US and not UK to save me just paging through the lists looking for differences?

The Maniac Cop films.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

If it was a choose between this and AtMoM, I'd choose this.

I dunno, feels like Lovecraft is primed for mainstream and GdT would prefer to make that but the budget is what is holding it down. Very much hope it doesn't become his lost movie.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

Megasabin posted:

That leaves 5 other movies. I'd really like at least two of the choices to be international films, which means I might be stuck with Kibakichi and Romsanta, as they are the only two I could find. The other werewolf movies I identified are:

Curse of the Werewolf (1961)
The Beast Must Die (1974)
Wolfen (1981) [Although I hear it may not actually be a werewolf movie?]
Silver Bullet (1985)
Teen Wolf (1985)
Wolf (1994)
Bad Moon (1996)
Underworld (2003)
Kibakichi (2004) (Japanese)
Romsanta: The Werewolf Hunt (2004) (Spanish)
Big Bad Wolf (2006)
Curse of the Wolf (2008)
The Woflman (2010)
Wer (2013)
WolfCop (2014)
Howl (2015)

Can anyone offer opinions on which of these 5 we should be watching? I'm also open to others not on either list that I missed.

I haven't seen 4 of those movies but I'd say Wolfen, Silver Bullet, Wolf, Wolfcop and The Wolfman (2010) in that order.

2nd that Bad Moon is fun!

On a similar note I have a list of a bunch of "werewolf" movies I haven't seen and wonder if the Spook-a-Doodle crew might be able to recommend some over others.

https://letterboxd.com/killerbobb/list/horror-watchlist-werewolf/

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Wolf Children isn't a horror movie. It's really good though.

Does it have werewolves? I hastily threw that list together using a bunch of other recommended werewolf lists and "hidden gem" articles/comment sections. As I have done for every genre so I know theres some real silly additions in those lists. I'm just surprised no one has mentioned the Sonic movie on that screenshot...

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

As anyone seen the documentary series Hellier? Just found it on Amazon Prime and seems interesting but would like to know if it goes somewhere over it's two seasons.

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Could I get some recommendations for great horror OST? I'm making musical intermissions for the streams.

Speaking of which, this is happening tomorrow. I've also updated the times slightly.

Zombie Zombie's cover album of John Carpenter music is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobbZombae
Feb 9, 2010

BisonDollah posted:

As anyone seen the documentary series Hellier? Just found it on Amazon Prime and seems interesting but would like to know if it goes somewhere over it's two seasons.

It doesn't.