Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

flashy_mcflash posted:

I feel like once you've seen Roar, you're spoiled for animal attack movies after that. Nothing is ever going to stack up to the pure hell insanity of that production, or at least that was my experience. How can you go back to CG animals, or even ones done with practical effects, after watching those real-rear end untamed lions go buckwild on Melanie Griffith and her family?
I watched it at a midnight screening so maybe my memory of it isnít the best, but I remember it being fairly slow and kinda boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

guys guys

A zombie hippo movie :cool:

For that matter, are there any true zombie wildlife movies? A horde of zombiefied deer, wolves, bears, etc would be way more dangerous than people. Way more expensive to pull off too, which is why we wonít see it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I read the book a bunch when I was in my Michael Crichton phase as a kid but I donít know that Iíve seen more than clips from the movie. Does it differ a lot from the book?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Goddamn Mimic is not good. I had forgotten how much it borrowed from Aliens as far as the bugs go. About the only enjoyment I got out of it was picking out all the samples Front Line Assembly used.

Anybody sit through the sequels?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I was disappointed Shudder had the theatrical version. Donít streaming services sometimes get alternate cuts? I swear the DC of Kingdom of Heaven has cropped up on Netflix.

Just like with Lord of Illusions I canít imagine a recut would make me want to own Mimic but I would be interested in seeing if itís appreciably better.

Now I feel compelled to dig out my copy of Del Toroís Cabinet of Curiosities and see what he had to say about it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Stink Billyums posted:

I've seen Lake Mungo and have no idea what scene is being referenced.
Iím glad Iím not the only one. Even with the spoilers I barely remember anything like that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Holy poo poo, the Joe Bob Briggs Christmas thing was the Phantasm series (except part 2 for some obscure licensing reason, I assume).

Anybody watch this? Are parts 4 & 5 watchable with the commentary? Part 4 was bad enough that I didnít bother with 5.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Hollismason posted:

The best way to watch any horror series is in reverse order because the movies go from worst to best which is better than best to worst.
Is Friday the 13th the exception that proves the rule? No way is the first one the best.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SMP posted:

Ong Bak is dope but I hope shudder doesn't lose focus as a primarily horror platform in favor of all genre film.
Looking at the Canadian schedule I was a little taken back at some of the titles - Eastern Promises, Enemy, No Country for Old Men, Only God Forgives... I donít know how the US schedule differs (maybe those titles are way cheaper to get in Canada) but I wouldnít label any of those movies as primarily ďhorror.Ē Not sure whatís going on over there.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

anyone know where i can watch the black and white version of The Mist? is it official or a bootleg?
I saw that Shudder Canada is getting The Mist; if the US is too Iím curious if they would put up both versions.

You could try your local library; thatís how I saw it :)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Windows 98 posted:

I am extremely excited to watch Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer tonight for the first time. God drat do I love bleak and brutal. Please recommend me other things like this. I've seen quite a number of them so digging deep would be appreciated.
Not technically horror, but you should maybe check out the Russian film Gruz 200 (Cargo 200) as well. It has more than a few similarities to William Faulkner's Sanctuary if that tells you anything.

EDIT: poo poo it's even on YouTube (probably not entirely legal, oh well)

david_a fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 6, 2019

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

OldTennisCourt posted:

This raises a question for a good discussion tbh

Aside from Ghost Ship what are other horror movies with phenomenal openings that poo poo the bed immediatly after?
Wasnít someone just talking about a fish monster horror movie where the opening scene was filmed after everything else and is way better than the rest of the movie

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

are you guys not counting The Beyond because the entire head doesn't explode?

I feel like it deserves an honorable mention at least. The glob of brains flying forward when the head snaps back is pretty great

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Fart City posted:

I actually like the extreme motion of it. I think it makes it scan a bit more graphic than it would otherwise. The only weak part of the effect for me is the eyes, but a looping gif doesnít quite play the same way as a quick cut for little details like that.
Yeah, I never noticed the eyes were that bad until I found the gif. In the movie you donít have time to really see them when it cuts to the shot.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Yeah I remember Inferno as being fairly decent for what it was. Itís also the last Hellraiser entry I saw; not sure I feel a great desire to change that despite my perverse love-hate relationship with horrible movies.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Eignarom posted:

I'm caught up on this version of the thread now, but was way behind on the old one. Did you guys talk about the Carpenter Brut album Leather Teeth's music videos at all? The whole album is up on Youtube now and it's all pretty awesome, but my favourite is definitely Monday Hunt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy1zbbosiTQ
It's basically a supercut of 80s slashers highlights. I caught them live last year and when this song/video came on I started shrieking to my friend about all the movies I recognized in it but he was definitely not as excited as I was. What are some other good horror inspired music videos aside from the obvious Thriller?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeG-6bpeUkA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJDQbRkqroc
Edit: I mean how do you beat Worlock https://letterboxd.com/inmostlight/list/skinny-puppy-worlock/

david_a fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 25, 2019

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I hope he gets a phased-plasma-rifle-in-the-40-watt-range salute at his funeral

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

chitoryu12 posted:

Goddamn, I had just looked him up after watching Gremlins 2 a few days ago.

There's been this really bad trend of me looking up people or works right before someone from it dies. Like I listened to Fats Domino on purpose for the first time a few days before he died.
Why donít you, uh, do some light reading on John Bolton or something

Iíd settle for Kissinger

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Untrustable posted:

Italian horror is generally nonsensical and bad. I'll take my beating now.
Demons 1&2 are nonsensical and good, though

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Beyond is one day off for me. Thatís... acceptable.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I refuse to acknowledge "the moon rocks are spiders" as not awful
Iím with this guy; Apollo 18 is awful. If youíre going to make a film that dumb then drop the charade of pretending to be a real movie and commit to camp in the last act. Violent axe battles, MacGyver the rover into a flamethrower tank with a rocket engine, I dunno, something thatís at least interesting.

On the other hand I watched Europa Report and it was enjoyable. I donít like thinking about deep oceans either but honestly I think they could have done more on that front -
I was expecting some POV shots of people sinking. Look at the underside of the ice fading away, glance down to kilometers of Void youíre slipping into, a panicked glance back at the last fading remnants of light peeking through the ice, cut back to horrified people staring helplessly at monitors... Mmm

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Just watched Candy Man for the first time in years and was pretty blown away by the score. It might honestly be one of my favorite horror scores. Are the sequels any good? I vaguely remember them being straight to video releases.

That scene where Tony Todd rips up the doctor's spine then flies backwards out the window was so great. Honestly the only part that doesn't quite hold up is the burn make up on Virigina Madsen, I was watching the Blu Ray though , I doubt they were planning on anyone ever watching it in that fidelity.
Itís not like thereís any less detail in the original 35mm; they probably just didnít have the budget for anything better.

The worst part of that movie for me is his ridiculous furry coat. I have a real hard time getting past it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

FreudianSlippers posted:

Isn't 35mm basically 2k practically speaking?
Most movies in the pre-digital age were shot in 35mm and 4K UHDs typically show more detail than normal Blu-Rays. A lot of that depends on the film stock, lenses, and filters used, however. There are also multiple ways of shooting on 35mm film; Super35, for example, only uses a portion of the negative in widescreen.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Because of that design I am struck by how later Hellraiser films, as early as the sequel, kind of forgot the design elements of the Cenobites are meant to suggest demonic leather daddies and BDSM freaks.

Like, by the third movie the cenobites are just "monsters" unless there is something kinky about having a camera head
HELLO LADIES

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Late to the Hellraiser chat (drat you people post a lot) but does anybody have any info on whether Barkerís Tortured Souls was supposed to be some sort of legally distinct Hellraiser reboot?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ruddiger posted:

I always cringe when I see someone trip and split their head open on the corner ledge of something. I just saw Murder Party and the one in that movie had me gasp out loud.
Have you seen Lost Highway?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Pomp posted:

Get vrv premium for 5 dollars more and you can watch JoJo's and Legend of Galactic Heroes too.

Both of which belong in this thread :colbert:
Serious question; are there actually horror elements to Legend of the Galactic Heroes? Itís been on my radar for a while but the length kind of put me off.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

David Lynchís A Goofy Movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7baCckh-XE

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

mikeycp posted:

holy poo poo this rules
I know right!? I legit want to watch this movie

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

So I saw Day of the Dead for the first time and I don't think I've been as hosed up or disturbed by a horror movie kill then when the zombies rip that one guy's head off while he's screaming and his voice shoots up several octaves because they tear apart his vocal cords. Like, I'm actually upset that I had to see that. I don't think horror movies are for me, guys...
The gore in that movie is pretty over the top; Savini pulled out all the stops for that one. I had a brief phase where I thought it was a gorehound when I was younger and stupider but thatís completely gone now. The good news is that most horror movies arenít like that! (Partially because only a few had the budget/talent to pull off something that gross)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ReapersTouch posted:

Went in blind and The Frighteners was alot more comedic than I would have guessed going in. I liked it, despite being a little cheesy.
Am I the only one who doesnít like that movie? I thought it was just... Too Much. It felt like the video part of one of those motion rides. All the bad tendencies that were on display in King Kong are here as well.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

M_Sinistrari posted:

The Horror Thread: Spookity-Boo, Spook-a-doodles!
:hmmyes:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The ĎBurbs was immensely 80s. Iím guessing Shudder got it as a package deal with the two Gremlins? Iíve had far better uses of 101 minutes of my time. The highlight was Dick Miller and Robert Picardo as the two garbage men.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Us was... OK. I agree that they explained too much; instead of the monologue in the classroom just have some vague info in the background, like "2 souls, 1 body" spray-painted on the wall in the hallway or something and a bunch of US Gov legalese warnings all over the place so that we know it was some kind of weird experiment gone wrong, or maybe they just found them and locked them up, or maybe they're from a different dimension, or... etc, I think some more mystery there would have improved things. Go full Italian Horror with it and don't bother giving us an explanation that just invites more questions.

I got the impression that the son had some "issues" that they managed to mostly correct in the top-side version, but the Upside Down kid took the brunt of his pyromania and possibly mild autism? I thought Zora told those brat twins at the beach that he had obsession issues? Is the mask thing common with any behavioral issues or just a normal kid thing?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Alright letís go Joe Bob

Edit: is anyone else getting a slight metallic ringing in the audio?

david_a fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 30, 2019

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Whatís the discord again (and why isnít it in the first post)? Are people talking bout Joe Bob there

Edit: oh right now I see it

david_a fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 30, 2019

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

King Vidiot posted:

That was bugging the poo poo out of me last night and I thought it was just my speakers. There was definitely a lot of buzzing and the bass was too high.
I think it was something with how the micíed/recorded Joe Bob; I didnít notice it with Barbara or Darcy. I think it went away by the end of the show too.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

mikeycp posted:

watching through the older ones and he does that sometimes

the rant about japanese film in general before dead or alive was...a lot for me to handle

i keep watching because it feels like these things come from being an old white texan rather than intentional shittiness, but it's not great when it does pop up
Keep in mind that Joe Bob Briggs is a character of John Irving Bloom so Iím not sure how much of it is a ďrealĒ opinion versus playacting but I guess heís saying these things either way.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I watched Summer of Ď84 yesterday too and I get what youíre saying. The bad guy never felt that sinister to me, even at the end. I donít know if itís that actor or what. I honestly thought it should have gone meaner at the end to make it more shocking. I was thinking they were going to fake us out and make the dad the killer since heís the only other character it could have been but that might have been too mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

If I had to choose one subgenre to see more of it's always going to be creature features. There's always a few being made here and there but it's never enough, I always want more. And I don't care about CGI vs. practical nearly as much as I care about the results. A well done creature is a well done creature.
:yeah:

Basebf555 posted:

It's definitely a specific itch that modern movies don't scratch. When I feel like watching a Harryhausen I have to actually watch something Harryhausen made, he really had no successor. That happened to me on Saturday, I watched The Golden Voyage of Sinbad.
Laika is the closest thing I can think of and some of their movies have some horror-lite aspects. Phil Tippett is still soldiering on doing that weird Mad God thing.

But yeah, while there still are a few stop motion films here and there (canít ignore Wes Anderson either), they donít really have that Harryhausen feel to them.