Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Among the thousand film adaptations of Frankenstein and Dracula, which ones are most accurate to the source material?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
What's some low-budget, sleazy, camp horror or horror-adjacent stuff that will scratch my itch for Troma/John Waters/Rocky Horror? For comparison's sake, a friend told me about "Attack of the Adult Babies" which I might just watch based off the name alone, which has never failed me before (looking at you, "Gayniggers from Outer Space"), but if that sucks and my itch goes unscratched, I need backup.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I've been thinking a lot about East Asian portrayals of Abrahamic religions in entertainment, so I come to you with this: are there any Catholic horror movies from Japan? Other East Asian countries are welcome as well, though I'm going to be disappointed if all the Korean demonic possession movies are made by Korean Christians who just copy the same three demonic possession movies like we do here.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Those all sound like good movies to watch, although the closest to what I had in mind would probably be Hellsing (which I'm quite familiar with) and End of Evangelion. I'm specifically looking for examples of art from non-Christian cultures that appropriates the aesthetics of Christianity without using any of the deeper symbolism, because I'm fascinated by stuff that treats me how American media treats everyone else. It's not something I'm as familiar with regarding horror, so I came here. Jigoku sounds pretty baller and I will definitely check that out, although a cursory glance seems to place it as a Buddhist horror movie (with potentially as much accuracy to Buddhism as the average demonic possession movie has towards Catholicism), which isn't quite what I had in mind.

Alvarez IV fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 29, 2021