Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

The Prowler's a real middle of the road slasher, but the Jersey vibes make it worth it. Also, the gore is straight-up nasty. Tom Savini flexing so hard he should make a workout tape.

Real glad Shudder actually lists what's leaving so I can fill some gaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Almost Blue posted:

Where do they list that? I can't find it.

It keeps listing a category on my front page that says “Last Chance”.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Basebf555 posted:

Looks like The People Under the Stairs, Tales From the Hood, and Brain Damage are now up on Shudder. Also the Snoop Dogg horror movie Bones, which I really liked years ago so I'm interested to see if it holds up at all.

They also have Office Killer, which isn't great but IS directed by uber-famous photographer Cindy Sherman. Worth a curiosity watch, at least.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 1, 2019

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

They got way closer to the Gammell illustrations than I ever would have imagined they would. Holy hell.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 2, 2019

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

The art jokes are super surface level, but I like that Velvet Buzzsaw feels like a middling Tales from The Crypt episode.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Another thing from Scary Stories.
https://twitter.com/ScaryStoriesMov/status/1092226230206824450
https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/1092221843967074304

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Basebf555 posted:

I thought the Pinhead from Hellraiser Judgment was good, I wouldn't mind seeing him get a real shot at the role in a better film with an actual budget behind it. Not that Hellraiser needs 50+ million to work but Judgement felt like it was made for less than seven figures.

Yeah, Judgement's Pinhead actually isn't that bad as far as replacement Pinheads go. I feel like literally any budget Blumhouse gives them would be a massive step up from what Dimension was giving them.

Fart City posted:

There’s definitely gas left in the tank for Hellraiser. I actually think the lovely sequels benefit the franchise in a way, because most were released dtv and there’s not a lot of mainstream saturation as a result. Like Joe Q Public recognizes Pinhead, but I imagine the series as a whole is a bit of a blank slate.

Get Fede Alvarez behind the camera, push the psychosexual gothic horror element to 11, and go nuts.

I'd say Panos Cosmatos could also be a good fit, but maybe just let Cosmatos make his own original films.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Basebf555 posted:

He's certainly a huge step up from this guy, who's casting I still don't understand except in the context of a movie that was just casting random dudes who were hanging around because they needed to maintain the rights:

Motherfucker looks like Tim Heidecker in a Pinhead costume.

If you've ever heard Gary Tunnicliffe talk about his experience writing Hellraiser: Revelations and watching it go to poo poo, it's really fascinating.

Granted, the Hellraiser movie he actually got to make is also bad.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Gremlins 2 showing up on Shudder is a hell of a power move.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

CelticPredator posted:

buy Gremlins 2.

I mean, also this.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I can’t tell if it’s the screen I’m watching it on, but some of the images in that Midsommar trailer feel a bit overexposed. Still looks great, though, and the idea of a horror movie set in daylight is amazing.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

COOL CORN posted:

Aside from Crystal Plumage/Suspiria/Deep Red, what essential English language Giallo do I need to see? I like to put movies on whole I work, so subtitles are tough. I started Blood and Black Lace and was loving it but just couldn't focus on it enough.

You can’t go wrong with Bava. I believe Black Sabbath and Black Sunday are both English language, but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen them so I could be wrong.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1129023766133182464?s=21

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Ehud posted:

Are there any good horror movies that utilize the Pacific Northwest in some way beyond shooting some scenes there?

I just did a vacation on the Oregon coast and I kept thinking a horror movie set in the 1800’s Pacific Northwest would be cool to see.

This is stretching the definition of “horror” and “movie”, but Twin Peaks has some of the scariest stuff I’ve ever seen in a thing.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Secret Black Christmas remake https://twitter.com/blumhouse/status/1139233050787627008?s=21

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Hellraiser 3 is quite bad, but it’s fun as hell to watch.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Honestly; the reshoots gently caress it up way more than Adam Scott being a goofy weirdo.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

God, The Babysitter has a very powerful “boomers trying to appeal to millennials” energy. I think I hate it?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Stink Billyums posted:

They're making an Uzumaki miniseries for Cartoon Network directed by the guy who did Mushishi. Hopefully it turns out better than Gyo.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ToonamiSquad/status/1167580644630835209

On the one hand, there hasn't been a single good Ito adaptation so far and almost every attempt that's been made takes out something fundamental about his aesthetic. But on the other, gently caress the gently caress yeah maybe this'll be the one

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 31, 2019

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Hard to tell from just the clip, but already making it black and white gets rid of a lot of the problems you have with adapting Ito's work. You need to have that hard contrast to do his work justice.

Also, hold up Colin Stetson's doing the score?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Started a similar challenge on Letterboxd (Hooptober, for the curious) this week. For October challenge, do I just atone for my sins and start a new count for the thread? I would assume the stuff I've already watched doesn't count.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Welp, guess I’m putting House of 1000 Corpses on my October challenge list

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Megasabin posted:

Looking for suggestions. The past two years for October my horror group has gone through a slasher series. This year I'm changing the theme up to vampires. For October we do a double feature once a week, so that's a total of 10 movies.

Week 1: Universal's Dracula (1931) & Hammer's Dracula (1958)
Week 2: Nosferatu (1922) & Nosferatu (1979)
Week 3: Interview with a Vampire & Bram Stoker's Dracula
Week 4: Near Dark & The Lost Boys
Week 5: Thirst & Cronos

I'm considering a few other options. I might move week 2 to a Friday night and make it a triple feature by adding Shadow of the Vampire. That would free up an additional Wednesday night. I may also start a week early this Wednesday. If I do both of these things I would need 4 more films and I'm looking for suggestions!

Of note, we have already seen quite a few vampire movies throughout the past 2 years as part of our regular get togethers: Let the Right One In, What we Do in the Shadows, John Carpenter's Vampires, 30 Days of Night, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night.

Here’s some suggestions:
Ganja and Hess
Trouble Every Day
Only Lovers Left Alive
Martin

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Kvlt! posted:

are you guys playing a joke on me where the HELL are you guys seeing The Nightingale? I want to see it so bad but no theaters or VOD services have it, and I live in a major city. Is it in that weird out-of-theaters-not-out-on-VOD limbo?

It was playing at a theater here in DC not too long ago. No idea what their rollout strategy is, tbh

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Kvlt! posted:

my first horror experience was Goosebumps and Tales From the Crypt as a little-little kid

my first horror MOVIE experience was being 7 or 8 years old and being TERRIFIED of the cardboard cutout leatherface they had for the release of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beggining in my local DVD rental store. The DVD cover also scared lil Kvlt!

That lenticular VHS cover for Jack Frost (the horror one, though the Michael Keaton one always made me uncomfortable too) that changes into a scary face was the one that always scared little me shitless. Shame about the actual movie being garbage.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Would Doom: Annihilation count for the October Challenge or is it too much of an action movie? I might hold it off until the weekend if it would.

My condolences. I think it should probably count? People were counting Venom towards the challenge last year and there's slightly more horror in Doom: Annihilation.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Your condolences for what? The trailer looked pretty poo poo, but people over in the Early FPS thread in Games are saying it's actually a rad movie, and if they're pleased with how a Doom movie turned out I probably will be too.

e: note, I'm not talking about the 2005 one with The Rock, that one sucks rear end. There's a new DTV one that apparently came out a few days ago and, while it's apparently pretty shoestring-budget, it's also apparently a pretty fun movie.

I'm basing my take mostly on the trailer, tbh. Got some real late-game Hellraiser sequel "we made this so we don't lose the movie rights" vibes from the trailer, although that's different from actually seeing the thing.

The screencap going around in FPS thread honestly does look better than I expected.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 27, 2019

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Anonymous Robot posted:

Here’s a question: my partner’s favorite kind of movie is the haunted house, jump scare type of movie like Paranormal Activity and the Conjuring series. These are pretty much the only sub-genre that I don’t enjoy, because I usually just find them boring and lacking any sort of ambition. They’re formulaic, budget friendly pictures that exploit the audience’s desire to be shocked by a surprise, they don’t have to be interesting, y’know?

But she has fun with them so I’d like to watch at least one this season. Anyone have recommendations for some that may be good on their own merits?

The Nun is pretty much exactly what you just described, but at least it has some fun Bava stuff going on in the background.

The first Unfriended, maybe? I've heard good things about As Above So Below, too.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

LesterGroans posted:

All of this is very good and very correct, but you're especially right about the roach motel kill being an all-timer. I still remember watching it at a sleepover as a kid and that kill being seared into my brain.

Brought to Screamin' Mad George, the same guy behind the shunting

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

aware of dog posted:

Is the most recent Moorhead and Benson movie ever coming out? I think it screened at festivals like two years ago and never heard anything about it since.

The Endless, or another one?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

aware of dog posted:

No, they made a movie with Jamie Dornan and Anthony Mackie, Synchronic. I hope someone picks it up for distribution

Huh. Didn’t even know they made another movie. Good to hear it’s getting a release

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Guess I'm bumping up that watch of Castle Freak now

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Could I get some recs for horror movies with either a Black director or a predominantly Black cast? I'm doing Hooptober on Letterboxd in conjunction with the October challenge and per Hooptober's requirements, I need to watch at least two (will likely end up watching more). My plan was to watch Bones and Antebellum, but Antebellum will probably get dropped because I didn't hear good things. Have a few good options, but would relish input from the thread.

Some of the ones I've seen already and liked: the Jordan Peele movies, Ganja and Hess, People Under The Stairs, Tales From The Hood, Candyman, Attack The Block, The First Purge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Petey Wheatstraw is on my to-do list and I nearly watched it in Z-Fest, but I don't think that really qualifies as horror?

Probably not a bad idea to dip my toes into some blaxploitation, come to think of it.