Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
You guys are one of the only SA threads I read, and I respect your opinions, but Lake Mungo is a good, interesting, engrossing mockumentary-thing that I really don't think qualifies as a horror movie, and is better classified as... I don't know, a docudrama about families and sadness. I liked it, really, but there's not one part of it I would classify as horror. This may be my fault, I vaguely remember seeing it mentioned in the same league as It Follows and other fantastic horror stuff, and maybe I just forgot the important elements of the post, so whatever.

To make a more proactive comment: I'm also not sure Annihilation qualifies as horror, because only a few minutes of it invoke horror, but those minutes are so good that I'm pretty sure it counts, even though it's largely sci-fi. Maybe it's even more important that anything slightly related to the idea of mass extinction becomes horror by default, so once you're in a setting like that, you know it all counts as horror just as much as Jason stabbing teenagers for no loving reason at some stupid camp; the stakes are much higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Here's a loaded question...can anyone explain the appeal of Fulci?

I mean, it may be a moot point because I don't enjoy Italian horror in general, but I've found the few movies of his I've seen to be cringingly amateurish and charmless.

And for the record, this is not me saying "Lucio Fulci sucks" but me saying "Can someone explain why I should enjoy him when I personally don't like what I've seen of his work?"

I don't actually like Italian gorehound stuff at all myself, but it's all about genres. I'm kind of a boy scout when it comes to horror; like, I love horror but not cruelty, so I don't like any New French Extremity stuff (except for Inside, which I think is brilliant because of how pared-down and basic it is; it could be a stage play with how well-written it is). But if you like horror at all, try to see it from all perspectives, which is my take on it. It's why I took a class about Wes Craven and realized how he was doing weird stuff ahead of his time and—in your words—why someone's movies might be important even if you don't like them or see why they're important. Fulci kinda made Carpenter who kinda made the slasher genre in America (and yes I know I'm extremely simplifying this) but films influence other films and that's not a forgettable thing

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

married but discreet posted:

The Innkeepers is ridiculously charming, a great suggestion!

I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House is another really good and quiet one, but you have to scare yourself with what the movie gives you, otherwise it wont work.

Inkeepers is super good if also mean, and Pretty Thing is good but takes its time to get there.

my go-to that is a spoiler to even talk about is The Haunting of Hill House, which I think is a loving fantastic family story about how of all these siblings grew apart over time but also ghosts and then by that point ghosts are the main thing and you're terrified.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Snack Bitch posted:

Dog Don’t Wear Pants is really good and something everyone should see. It’s not as shocking on the whole as the parts may seem. Even my partner who “doesn’t like horror” enjoyed it.

I have little to add to the discussion but I have to respond every time I see your av because of how goddamn weird that actress's entire performance is and she kinds scares me more than the big scare does

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

TheBizzness posted:

I watched The Void today in between procedures at a doctors office and now I wish I had chosen to watch it on my tv any of the 8000 times I almost did because it ruled on my phone.

1stGear posted:

The Void is good as hell and I'm real mad it's not on Netflix any more.

I love The Void, and my favorite thing about it, which I already mentioned in a previous iteration of this thread, is the sense imparted by the titles about how this one of the "places between places" Stephen King has talked about in some short stories, just these run-down nowhere towns that could disappear off the map and nobody would miss them. Like, when King writes about Derry, it's specifically a place where things are definitely always hosed up, but then there's this sense that these irrelevant border places exist too, like the truck stops he mentions in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_That_You_Love_Will_Be_Carried_Away .

Anyway I spent a lot of my life commuting on trains and Greyhounds at night in rust-belt towns and I love how these titles capture that sense of... not exactly isolation, but a sense that even though there are other people here, you're still alone. Unlike in most horror movies, you're in civilization, but only technically. Stuff is still bad because everything is already bad.

https://streamable.com/xxr4tz

(streamable keeps deleting my The Void intro every time I upload it so this may not last, but you all get the point)

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

ruddiger posted:

I went through all of the z-grade zombie titles on prime last year when I was unemployed, there is some absolute dogshit on there.

I initially read this as "z-grade zombie titties" and my assessment of Prime remains the same

e:
Anyway, 1BR, In The Tall Grass, and Devil's Gate are all popping up for me on Netflix; should I bother with any of them? I have a very high tolerance for even the stupidest horror as long as it's vaguely sci-fi or ghosty

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 2, 2020

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

david_a posted:

In The Tall Grass will certainly be tolerable for you. It’s not as good as it should be but there are some good performances, spooky moments, and I honestly don’t remember if the, um, source of antagonism (trying to be vague) is sci-fi or ghostly or ambiguously both.

I would reply with some kind of goofy gif but none seems applicable while also not seeming ironic, so thank you for the actual recommendation while I go back to my horrible vodka. Spookiness of any source is always good

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Dog_Meat posted:

It was one of my favourites as a kid (my uncle managed to sneak me into the cinema to watch it when I was 10). It was just so... horrific. The Thing is hands down the better movie, but as a kid the Blob just tapped into something NASTY for me. And it helps that they just don't care and utterly gently caress up the kid like that . There's nothing like an 80s/early 90s melting death to get a Fangoria kiddie's attention :aaa:

You're right that The Blob is just gross. The Thing is better and weirder, but The Blob taps into that part of your brain that is disgusted by the idea of putting your hand down the drain and then takes that concept to its grossest possible end.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

RIP Paul. In another movie you would have been the hero

your Yeats avatar quote seems especially relevant in this scenario. I don't even remember anyone's name, just the horrible ways they died

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Karloff posted:

If I recall correctly the original Ringu doesn't really have any jump scares, though the remake has an all-timer with the "I saw her face" moment. The TV moment is scary becuase of how methodical it is, she doesn't come leaping out of the TV suddenly, she just kind of walks to the edge of the screen and then crawls out. So if you've only seen the remake then the original is less jump-scare oritented (though someone do correct me in this regard please if I'm misremebering), though I get it if the memories of the remake could make watching the original still a bit too much.

This is 5 pages ago so I know I'm a douchebag for mentioning it again but I just want to posit that 1.) The American remake was superior, for once, due to casting and overall quality (casting Naomi Watts over anyone, anywhere, is an upgrade, and also the music was much better, as was the cinematography), and 2.) the original film had a scene at the end that I can't even remember in detail but recall feeling pointless and weird. I like supernatural horror, which J-horror usually is, and even I felt like the original Ringu was weak compared to the American version I saw first. (Again: detract from my review the points I place in the chance to see Naomi Watts onscreen for any reason)

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

dorium posted:

I mean I laughed when he was getting beaten up by kids

Your avatar is the exact picture of a cat from an encyclopedia entry which taught me what schizophrenia was when I was like ten years old, so I now weigh your opinion above everyone else's in this benighted thread

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

escape artist posted:

Babysitter 2 was a lot of fun, just like the original. Any other movies in this tone?

I thought the original was fun as hell, but wasn't sure how an update would manage that, given that the timeline has apparently moved forward. Is it still 80s schtick?

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

dorium posted:

Louis Wain is the artist, he also was later to have been diagnosed with schizophrenia!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Wain

I originally pulled it from an Oingo Boingo EP cover

and then jazzed it up.

Oh goodness that is the exact same image I saw as a kid, the middle-right one specifically. It made me terrified of ever having schizophrenia

e: imagine expecting to see your cat and instead you're greeted by this monster fractal apparatus with its eyes constantly widening beyond measure and you just want it to go away

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 13, 2020

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Well, according to the wiki article it seems more plausible that he was experimenting with different style than that he was seeing fractal cats.

True as that may be, this was the image in the encyclopedia that I read as a kid and it led me to think about seeing reality in such a hosed up and, I don't know, geometrical way, and I found it terrifying. I just wanted to go to school and play DOS games. I did not want to ever see Horrible Fractal Cat again, especially not in nightmares (I did).

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

married but discreet posted:

Once again mentioning that I think Hold The Dark is Saulnier's best movie. Definitely his most horror.

It felt kind of like a Lars von Trier film with its weird violence and sexuality suddenly intertwining out of nowhere. But there are only a few people where i'll watch literally anything they do and Saulnier is one of them. I don't even think I get Hold The Dark, but I don't care. He does his work so well that I enjoy watching it and if at the end I'm like "I'm not sure why that went that way," gently caress it, that's probably my fault and not his. (I include Refn in that category, but am also the only person I know who liked Only God Forgives).

That said, Green Room is loving excellent and one of the purest examples I've ever seen, as someone who majored in film, of a movie that is literally just about the actual, physical specifics of violence. How does killing a person work? how do you kill the people? what do you do with the bodies next? with none of that stuff swept away by screenwriting because it's actually relevant to the plot. Anyway I don't mean to derail your comment; I just absolutely love Saulnier. (also Imogen Poots who has the most ridiculous name in the world for an incredibly pretty woman who has suffered terrible disaster in the only two movies I've seen her in, Green Room and 28 Weeks Later).

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

david_a posted:

Today I learned that Imogen Poots’ middle name is Gay

Stryder posted:

"Honey, what can we name our daughter that would really maximize schoolyard bullying? I mean, really crank it up to 11."
gently caress, I actually knew that and forgot to include it in my comment that she has the goofiest possible name for a super pretty and talented actress

e:

[british voice] Hi everyone at the boarding school, this is our beloved daughter, Inogarph Gay Butt. please treat her with the utmost respect

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 17, 2020

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

BisonDollah posted:

Am I the only one that hated The Babysitter 2? I thought the first one was fun but just could not stand this, the tone was just all over the place. Pop culture references are not character development or a fast track to enjoyable dialogue. King Bach's lines in particular stunk.

I have a soft spot for Stephen Amell from Arrow because I hate when guys with middling physiques are depicted as being super-tough, which happens constantly in Hollywood, and Amell is an actual legit badass so I put up with the show just for him (and also he is an incredibly nice guy irl). So I liked, actually loved, at least one thing from The Babysitter 2: his cousin Robbie Amell realizing that the virgin blood he had drunk was not actually virginal because the kid has since hosed, and then dying while being like "AARRGH I'M NOT EVEN MAD BRO. RESPECT! AARGH" while burning to death. Aside from that, I get your complaints about it though; it was less an homage to 80s slasher stuff like the first was and more just a hodgepodge of... stuff.

(I also liked that it featured Love On A Real Train but that's just me)

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Starfish is in my top 30 films ever, and I don't even know why I want to say so, and that's why I haven't mentioned it around here, because I feel like I should be able to articulate why something is good. As soon as I was a few minutes into it I knew it was obviously, obviously about the writer dealing with a real friend's death. Even one of the Metacritic reviews from some major publication, I forget which, missed that this was OBVIOUSLY what the film was dealing with. I assumed it was going to get depressing and experimental; it did! I love where it goes, and I think the result is very good but not fantastic, I guess what I struggle with the most is the desire to just kill the world. I mean, I get it, I mostly post on C-SPAM, where it is a common belief that we might as well kill the world, but I wasn't sure the film provided enough evidence that that was a welcome outcome. There were still people alive. There was no obvious reason to just consign all life to oblivion.

But then I read that the film was in part about the screenwriter trying to deal with his grief, so: his emotions are his business. It's a beautiful film that maybe doesn't do enough work to explain itself, but I don't mind and like it anyway

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

I think that's about where I've landed on it. It's probably not something I'll recommend to people often, but it left a lasting impression on me. It definitely hits harder during quarantine, I think.

That is a fair impression of it. I think what gets me most is I can tell how earnest it is, but I'm not sure I'll ever be like "hey friends check out this fantastic movie"

e: when you know for a true fact it's literally about the screenwriter dealing with his friend's death, it makes much more sense. no Death Of The Author stuff here; that's what this is about.

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 17, 2020

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

I'm pretty sure you're just supposed to want to kill yourself with vodka in an apartment by yourself, but I'm also pretty sure that's also what most artists of any stripe want you to do as well

(Cobra Kai seems to have made this cool as hell, which is accurate)

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 17, 2020

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

"is the focus the crypt keeper or the butt" is, and I seriously am not joking, an amazing point of concentration. I mean that, and am not making fun of the observation. This is the kind of insane question that could only ever come up in this thread which is one of the only threads I read (badly and irregularly)

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Inland Empire vs. Videodrome is rough. Is there a choice to say "these are our two favorite weird-rear end directors and it's a tie?"

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

:vince: COMING ATTRACTIONS :vince:

I don't know what The Human Vapor is, but Audition, hoo boy. I actually like it, I think, but that is a rough watch. I've never in my life seen a film that spends its first, I haven't seen it in forever, half hour? looking like a budding romantic comedy or something before going where it goes. Which is why I like it, I guess, but still. It is an unusual film!

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Fright Night is one of those movies whose covers I always noticed at the video rental store when I was 10 (because it has a pretty noticeable cover) and I'm only 5 minutes into it and it's already one of the most unintentionally hilarious horror movies I've ever seen

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Well I know nothing whatsoever about this except what I assumed from its cover as a kid so this is actually really cool. It's dumb as hell and I like it!

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

I know the recurring joke is "there's a front page??" but I think Zack's Freddy article is really good

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I've been watching Michael Mann films in order to stay away from horror and goddamn I've seen it before but Manhunter is easily one of the best serial killer movies ever made. Goddamn. Just everything about it is perfect. Especially the sound track, ugh want that sound track badly. So good. Also its way ahead of its time. I mean Silence of the Lambs sure is the best one ever made , but Manhunter just oozes style and substance. When the music is building for him finally figuring out the final peice of the puzzle is amazing.

Manhunter is excellent and its whole 80s neon crime aesthetic presaged Nicholas Refn's whole career. And I'm not saying that to detract from his work, I love almost everything Refn does, but I get the impression stuff like Manhunter influenced him a lot.

Hollismason posted:

The whole movie is ahead of its time really, it could be called a proto CSI and all the myriad of different "forensic" cop shows where evidence is used and there's a real focus on the forensic science of the movie. From the forensic guy doing the photo of the tissue paper, to the teeth marks, everything about it.

Its just such a good film.

When I was taking film classes the professor insisted it was the best criminal profiler film, so that's not an unusual opinion at all. I still like Silence of the Lambs for its casting and some other stuff, but I would never disagree with someone preferring the workings of Manhunter instead

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 24, 2020

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Drunkboxer posted:

I recently rewatched it for the first time since it came out and it's definitely a well made ghost movie, but scares just didn't land for me this time. I guess maybe it just doesn't hold up to repeat viewings for me even though I originally saw it so long ago. Also I've always preferred the tape footage from the original Ringu, the American tape seems a little too slick and hollywoody whereas the one in Ringu feels like something you might actually find on an unmarked tape.

I felt the opposite; I recently rewatched the original and didn't feel the jumpscares the same way I did the first time, and that the Japanese version had an extraneous segment at the end (and I feel like Naomi Watts brings a lot to the American version). I'm not disagreeing with your assessment; I just ended up liking the American remake more, which is something I never say.

fake edit: I did feel this way about The Grudge

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Disposable Scud posted:

American Ring will always slap. it's a shame none of the other j-horror remakes could hit that level.

I'm 4 pages behind so maybe this has already been said, and I know I've reiterated most of this before, but the production is just so good. The music is great, and so is the cinematography, and it's Gore Verbinski, so the director knows what he's doing. Plus you get Naomi Watts as the star and she's fantastic in everything.

I like j-horror because the ghostly atmospheric sort of stuff is my preferred horror, as opposed to Rob Zombie making yet another movie about rednecks torturing teenage girls to death, but the American Ring remake remains one of my favorites; it had a legit star, it was pretty, and it actually made the concept of horror in daylight work, which was great. As far as j-horror goes, I think one of the Miike remakes was un-terrible; One Missed Call maybe? but I haven't seen that in forever so I'm probably forgetting how bad it was

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

The Ring is one of those movies that for me depends completely on the feeling of building dread as the days count down. So a lot of that effectiveness is lost once you know what happens, it's hard to feel the dread as intensely after the first viewing.

Agreed, but that said, have you ever watched it with someone who had no idea what they were in for? I think part of its shock value is in its era, because I watched it the second time with some friends and one friend's teen cousin, back when it was current, and every girl alive used a landline phone all the time. The exact intended effect of the movie happened directly after it was over because the phone rang 30 minutes later and this girl shrieked and left the room, and that's part of why it's ingenious, or at least was for its time; every teen who watched it at the time was going to have the phone ring at some point soon after finishing it and be like "oh poo poo oh gently caress" and that's why it was a really smart idea for a hook

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Hey y'all YouTube!!! it's ya boy Anime Tupac here to deliver a HOT-rear end review of "We Summon the Darkness!" ok check it:
(I had no strong feelings about it one way or the other, I like anything with an 80s vibe but it didn't stand out much at all)
((and then I just like limp out of the room with the camera still on so it's clear I'm incredibly low-energy))
thank you for your time.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Maniac's scene owns because Tom Savini didn't have a permit to film it so he just blew up a fake head with a shotgun in the middle of NYC in the middle of the night and threw the gun in the trunk and sped off before the cops came lmao

I don't know anything about this but as a Savini fan I hope it's accurate because he owns

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

I have somehow never in my life seen Poltergeist and am watching it for the first time, and just 7 minutes in it's so goofy, and Craig T. Nelson was there, and you were there, and you were there! *points to random horror thread posters*

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

no

unless this is a gag and you're specifically making fun of walrus, don't loving do this

we don't need more dollar-store outlaw verns

(i am in fact making fun of this whole thing which is awful and should go away)

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 11, 2020

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

What whole thing

idiot youtubers

OP modified for clarity I guess!

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

tag yourself in a horror movie, i'm easily this guy

huge nerd, died as he lived: chomping on a chicken wing, clearly about to get killed by a ghost (I can only hope)

e: wait no I'm this sad dog that looks extremely miffed about having to leave a haunted house

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 11, 2020

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I saw William Lustig a few times/spoke with him a bit when he was screening the recovered/restored Maniac print at theaters in NYC and that's how he told it. On the night they did it one of the crew's sole task that night was to be their "getaway driver" for this purpose, so that as soon as they got the shot it could be placed in the trunk and that other crewmember immediately drove to NJ for the night so they could be as distanced as possible.

it is kind of amazing that a film once practiced sfx so far outside of its region's boundaries that it required a getaway driver and I loving love it

WE GOT THE SHOT, MAYBE!

CHEESE IT, THE FEDS!

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I rewatched (and showed to a friend for their first time) Invasion of the Body Snatchers from 1978 last night and it remains incredible.

this is on Prime right now and I'm drunk and looking for a horror movie so consider this recommendation accepted; all I remember about it is that Donald Sutherland gif

e: Donald Sutherland feeding a young woman a slice of celery she insists she doesn't want feels like a metaphor for something but I choose to ignore it and watch the movie

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 18, 2020

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I don't think it's a hot take to say that Scanners is lesser Cronenberg that really is only remembered because it has the one iconic scene in it.

When you dig into Cronenberg you realize he easily has 5 or 6 films that are much better than Scanners. Maybe more.

I've said this before in this thread but it was a long time ago; I had a class in college called "Cronenberg and Craven" and I was astonished to learn that Shivers was so sensational that Cronenberg literally got evicted for making it, due to some obscenity clause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Rageaholic posted:

Just finished The Blob (1988) for the first time. That was great. Those deaths and practical effects :discourse:

Kvlt! posted:

yeah i watched this one for the challenge thread and its so good. Just a goopy great time from start to finish and some of the most impressive fx ive ever seen
seeing it as a kid grossed me out forever and I will never put my hand down a drain for any reason. in other words, a+