Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

sticklefifer posted:

I've seen plenty of sci-fi/horror, but have any movies - for better or worse - blended supernatural forces with aliens? Like alien demon possession, or undead/ghost extraterrestrials? It seems like it could be an interesting combination to mine content. I wouldn't really count Event Horizon, but maybe something with a similar feel.

Lifeforce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Miguel Prado posted:

Anybody get the chance to see psycho goreman yet?

Watched it last night and loved it. It's hilarious.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Flavius Aetass posted:

Can I get some recommendations on recent (past 10 years or so) movies that would make me scared that there is a malevolent spirit waiting for me to fall asleep?

We Are Still Here

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Flavius Aetass posted:

so I'm about an hour into this and i literally just screamed and threw my phone lol

:yeshaha:

I didn't lurk this thread back then so I don't know how it was received, but I loved it. Glad you liked it too!

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Zombies are so stale, having them look like the monsters from Ghosts of Mars is pretty refreshing.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So, Near Dark.

First, is it worth checking out?

And if yes, how can I watch it? I wanted to for an October challenge thing a few years ago but came up empty.

In my opinion, it is the Best Movie.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Good haunted house movies -- are there any? It feels like there was a real glut of these in the 1980s after Amityville et al, but most of them were horrible crap, and then poo poo was driven into the ground when affordable CGI made bad effects easier than ever and people forgot that your imagination is almost always scarier than some crappy CGI render (I'm thinking of crap like the remake of House on Haunted Hill).

There have to be good haunted house movies out there, right?

I know I recommended it just the other day, but I really like We Are Still Here.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
28 Days Later?

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I always thought of him as a ghoul, a human who is made super strong and tough by regularly feeding on his master's blood, but I grew up a World of Darkness nerd.

Julius from Vampire in Brooklyn is something similar.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
You know what? That sounds awesome.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Is it "Ay Two Four" or "Ay Twenty Four"?

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
It's not really horror in any sense but I just rewatched Robot Jox and it loving whips rear end. I hadn't seen it since I was a kid in a video store, just found out it's a Stuart Gordon masterpiece.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Hell yeah! It's a great movie.

Great miniatures, too :q:

The miniature and stop motion work are fantastic. So are the set designs. It's an expensive looking movie!

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

TOOT BOOT posted:

Anyone else having problems with Shudder? Trying to log in from the app just gives the helpful error message 'Something went wrong, try again'. Nothing I've tried has fixed it.

Works fine for me. Maybe try restarting your phone or reinstalling the app?

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I am super excited about the 4K UHD release of Near Dark. It's my favorite horror movie.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I haven't revisited it lately, but Death Race (2008) was a lot of fun.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

This got me.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I just like monsters

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Irony.or.Death posted:

hell yeah

what's your favorite kind of monster? I'm always partial to weird one-offs, but a proper wendigo is pretty cool too

we need more movie chimeras

Gremlins
Xenomorphs
Freddy Krueger

With a special shout out to 1988 Blob

If we are going mythical then Medusa from the original Clash who terrified me as a kid

Dragonshirt fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 17, 2021

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I don't know if I would call Cage stoic in MANDY. "You ripped my shirt! YOU RIPPED MY SHIRT!"

I am also excited for Blood Red Skies.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

The marionette kill from NoES 3 is the best kill from that franchise

But hm... What was that movie where someone gets their head exploded with a basketball

Deadly Friend?

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

SlimGoodbody posted:

Is it possible to compile a list of horror stuff that ascends numerically all the way to 31? The idea popped into my head when 29 Needles and 30 Coins were discussed close together. My brain immediately appended 28 Days Later to it.

30 Days of Night

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

RobbZombae posted:

I'm about to make a Halloween friendly music video playlist, do we have any favourites?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8_g4p0JVn8

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Doctor Teeth posted:

What are some good horror movies that primarily take place during the day/in well lit areas? It's obviously harder to do that than at night/in the dark, but I find when done well it's very effective (I find the idea of Dracula/vampires being able to go out and about during the day creepier than being confined to a basement/coffin during the day, for example).

Doctor Sleep

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Gabriel counts for me. I eagerly await all the sequels that I hope that movie generates.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I have a stack of those old Crestwood House monster books. I had no idea they were worth anything.

I have 8 of the 12. Might have to splurge and finish the set...

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Look, horror movies have monsters in them. Everything else is a thriller.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Krampus (2015) is great.

I hear okay things about Krampus Unleashed (2016).

The rest are garbo.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Noam Chomsky posted:

I need help identifying a movie that might've been a fever dream since I watched it when I was a kid at like 4 AM while I had the flu with cold medicine cousring through me.

All I remember of it is that it seemed to be a horror comedy and one of the characters, maybe the sidekick comic relief, was turned into a vampire or something and was out and about in the city in the daylight hours and his flesh melted off so he basically turned into an ambulatory sentient skeleton until he could regenerate later. I thought it was one of the Howling for some reason.

Vampire in Brooklyn?

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I watched Flesh for Frankenstein last night. I highly recommend if you enjoy beef liver.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I watched Queen of the Damned last night on Shudder, and seeing Aaliyah slow dance to Korn made the whole thing worthwhile.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Tea Bone posted:

I don't know precisely how to explain it but I'm looking for some recommendations for horror where the threat doesn't come from monsters or killers but the environment or the nature of the universe.

I know it's a loose description, but I mean stuff like House of Leaves or Coherence. I suppose what I'm looking for is cosmic horror minus the lovecraftian monsters.

The more novel the concept the better. Doesn't necessarily need to be a movie, books and TV are also appreciated.

The Colour Out of Space

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Can't be any worse than the original movie, which is kind of a snoozefest.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I guess when I stop and think about it, they've got some mileage out of the Books in terms of feature length movies:

Midnight Meat Train
Rawhead Rex
Candyman
Lord of Illusions
Part of Quicksilver Highway
Dread
The disappointing Book of Blood movie

There's 30 short stories in the collection, so they've still got a lot they could adapt though. I'd love to see a well executed In the Hills, the Cities, or even something as batshit as Pig Blood Blues.

The Yattering and Jack got a Tales from the Darkside episode also.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
https://letterboxd.com/hayseed/

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I don't think Jason "teleporting" is very noticeable until the dance floor scene in the 8th movie where he's on one side of the room and the girl literally turns her head and he's on the other side of the room blocking the exit. But 8 is terrible all around so I give it a pass.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Handwringing about consensual sex scenes involving minors in a thread that frequently ranks F13 movies is something else.

The sexualization of Michael's sister at the beginning of RZ's Halloween is a million times more exploitative than the scene in IT.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I didn't say worse, I said exploitative.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
What crime is happening in that scene in IT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Kvlt! posted:

Technically none ig, but I don't think you wanna be the guy defending the child-gang bang scene by going "EXCUSE ME THERE'S NO CRIME HERE".

I'm not defending anything, I was just asking since that was the example you used. I didn't understand if you were saying it was a crime to write that or what.

Dragonshirt fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 26, 2022