Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm sure Nicholas Cage will scale back and do something less insane after Mand....

quote:

" I wear a skintight black leather jumpsuit with grenades attached to different body parts, and if I don’t rescue the governor’s daughter from this state line where they’re all ghosts and bring her back they’re gonna blow me up.”

It's Sion Sono's English-language debut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The director of Suicide Circle and Cold Fish?

I hope Nic Cage keeps this streak up.

And TAG and Why Don't You Play In Hell, etc. I don't think there's a more eclectic filmmaker working today, and IMO, he's stuck the landing every time.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I feel like once you've seen Roar, you're spoiled for animal attack movies after that. Nothing is ever going to stack up to the pure hell insanity of that production, or at least that was my experience. How can you go back to CG animals, or even ones done with practical effects, after watching those real-rear end untamed lions go buckwild on Melanie Griffith and her family?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

david_a posted:

I watched it at a midnight screening so maybe my memory of it isn’t the best, but I remember it being fairly slow and kinda boring.

I saw it at a midnight screening where the whole audience was cheering for the lions like it was pro wrestling. It owned, but YMMV.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pontypool, Girl With All The Gifts, and Endzeit were a few newish takes on zombie/rage monsters that I enjoyed. Altered Skin is also not bad, and is unique enough by setting the story in Pakistan.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

as someone with motion sickness who can't watch many FF movies gently caress you guys and your cool ideas :(

EDIT: If anyone has a cure for people who get dizzy/sick/can't focus on the screen during FF movies please tell me bc there's a lot i wanna see so bad

I'm in mostly the same boat but FPS games affect me a lot worse than FF movies do. I just want to enjoy Farcry 5 :(

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Is The Cured worth seeing?

I thought it was really good and is another fresh take on zombie stuff.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

Well yeah, the whole movie is about a man with literally nothing inside him trying to call up some creative "spark" that just isn't in him. He takes no feeling in, and puts no feeling out and yet he keeps trying to create something.

Yup. I found it fascinating in an American Psycho way, like it's an exploration of emptiness while also being really funny in the absolute darkest way. I will say, though, that I did miss what was cut out of the directors cut after watching the theatrical version this weekend, and the Kvlt!'s of the world should probably skip right to the DC if you can get your hands on it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Happy holidays everyone, here's 7 hours of Chucky burning for you to put on instead of the Yule log
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofnmLrWNXYQ

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm nothing if not patriotic, so it's Black Christmas and some about-to-turn egg nog over here

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lots of good stuff coming to Canadian Shudder in January:

Big Man Japan!!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I know I saw that in the theatre and legit forgot every single thing about it within a week.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Megasabin posted:

What was that newish Western Horror the was supposed to be good in 2018? Someone had mentioned seeing it at a festival and really liking it a few months ago. Did it get a wide release yet?

Edit: It's The Wind and it's releasing in April of this year.

It's so dang good. I got to chat with one of the set dressers after the screening and she said that they went wild finding artifacts from that time period to place around the sets, even for things that would be inside drawers and probably never show up on film. I got the sense that the whole thing was a real labour of love, and it shows.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hollismason posted:

I just finished up Cold Skin on Shudder and I have to say I really really enjoyed it. It's a interesting film. Not exactly what I was expecting but overall thought it was a great Lovecraftian film.

I really loved this one too. I think it suffers a bit from being released so close to Shape of Water because the creature design is so similar but it's a great story. Nothing at all scary that I can recall, though, outside of what I think was a lesson about the horrors of colonialism.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

married but discreet posted:

Cold Skin is, uhhh...was Shape of Water fishhunk ever portrayed as having the intelligence of a four year old?

Kind of the opposite, IIRC.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fart City posted:

I’d like to see him get a Coen Bros. Netflix gig where they just go “here’s a bag of money, do whatever weird poo poo you want.” Whatever it takes to get at least one more feature out of him.

I feel like that's more of an Amazon move, but yes, seconded. I'm all about Amazon becoming the go-to destination for schlock, horror, and schlock horror outside of Shudder.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's insane how hyped I am for that. I adored that book and seeing some of the filming locations and setups around Toronto over the last year gives me legit goosebumps. I reaallly hope it's good .

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

Wes Craven Top 3 (in no order)

Nightmare on Elm Street
People under the Stairs
Hills Have Eyes

Pretty good with both this list and this order, tbh

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Piercing is a weird one. It's got an aesthetic and atmosphere down, and I loved Mia Wakowskia but I left feeling a little confused about what it was trying to do or say.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Watch that loving poo poo (Let The Corpses Tan) with headphones, every bit of that sound design should be savoured.

E: it's not giallo in the least, but the filmmakers did Strange Color Of Your Body's Tears, which is trying probably way too hard at being giallo. This one is like a Western siege movie and it rules.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Re: Cold Skin, I think the mowing down of the creatures was meant to come off as a tedious chore after the first couple times they show it. Like, sure that would be fun for a while but then it's several nights in the freezing cold just basically shooting fish in a barrel. And after they humanize the fishfolk, it's downright ghastly. Maybe they could have done more to drive that home though.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Canadian Horror Rushmore

Cronenberg
?
?
?

The Soskas maybe? The Astron-6 boys? There's lots of good one-off Canadian horror directors (your Bob Clarks, etc) but not a ton of prolific ones.

We get to claim Guillermo Del Toro since he lives here now, right?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Drunkboxer posted:

No, based on that criteria you could steal Romero from us.

That's exactly the criteria I was using :devil:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I was thinking of people that have directed only, or mostly, horror (which excludes Cameron and Villeneuve). Relaxing that criteria, I gotta throw my man Guy Maddin in there for Keyhole, which scared the living poo poo out of me.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Drunkboxer posted:

Really the Canadian mountain should just be a 5 hundred foot screen with Jason X projected on it. That way you have the best canadian film of all time up there and still have Cronenberg represented.

Hey now, Hobo With A Shotgun would like a word

Also:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Oh I guess Vincenzo Natali would make Canadian Horror-ushmore as well.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Apparently the new Blu Ray of Miike's Audition is heat

quote:

Brand new 2K restoration of original vault elements

Original 5.1 Dolby Surround Audio

Optional English subtitles

Audio commentary with director Takashi Miike and screenwriter Daisuke Tengan

Brand new commentary by Miike biographer Tom Mes examining the film and its source novel

Introduction by Miike

Ties that Bind – A brand new interview with Takashi Miike

Interviews with stars Ryo Ishibashi, Eihi Shiina, Renji Ishibashi and Ren Osugi

Damaged Romance: An appreciation by Japanese cinema historian Tony Rayns

Trailers

Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matthew Griffin

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

I was the right age to like the Offspring when Idle Hands came out. Of course I also haven't seen Idle Hands since I saw it in the theater.

I just remembered that I saw that in the theatre too. It might've been the first time I saw Jessica Alba too. Dang.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

A bit of a PYF question:

What's a horror film that the majority of people think is poo poo that you really enjoy?

I talked about it earlier in this thread but mine is Prom Night IV. It's extremely Canadian and not very good but I've seen it dozens of times because we owned the VHS when I was a kid.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Untrustable posted:

:hmmyes:

Idle Hands and the music video for Sum 41's 'In Too Deep' are permanently burned into my brain as the collective late 90s early 2000s.

Same but that New Radicals video.

https://youtu.be/DL7-CKirWZE

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Do people hate The Faculty? I'm the only one I know IRL that looooves that movie.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pomp posted:

I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed tomorrow, what's the best movie that isn't Mandy to watch while the drugs wear off

Antibirth, Woodshock, Lost River, maybe Under The Skin?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pour one out for Jay Douglas from Anchor Bay today
https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/290134/rest-in-peace-jay-douglas-of-anchor-bay-has-passed-away/

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I saw Al White's Starfish last night. It's not exactly a horror all the way through but it's got some really unique and genuinely scary creature design. It's all over the place narratively and has everything from an extended anime sequence to a breaking of the fourth wall, but it's a pretty remarkable piece of work with a great soundtrack. Virginia Gardner, who had a side role in Halloween 2K18, is just great in it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I rewatched Bones very apprehensively because I really wanted it to hold up, and it definitely did that and then some. For one thing, I'd forgotten that Pam Grier was in it(and basically the star of the movie). But like Neo Rasa said it's made with so much obvious love for the genre that I probably wasn't able to appreciate when I first saw it on t.v. as a teenager.

Oh they added that to Shudder?? I saw it in its theatre run and loved it, and the soundtrack is rad too. I know what I'm doing tonight.

E: oh for fucks sake it's not on the Canadian one. I guess I'll watch Miike's Over Your Dead Body instead.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Stryder posted:

It's about zombie barbers. Obviously.

Edit: Or zombie mohels. I can't remember which.

Bringing it back to a thread favourite topic, has there ever been a horror movie about mohels? Seems like an untapped vein, so to speak.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So I saw Greta and it was loving wild :lol:

Was that movie PG-13? There was no nudity (well, there was some covered nudity), not much swearing and not a lot of bloody violence outside of that spoilered scene, but that doesn't seem like something that could exist in a PG-13 movie hahaha

I'm not reading that spoiler but people described that new Clare Denis movie, High Life, to me just like this.

https://youtu.be/0WI49OA3BjU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I remember seeing that trailer months ago, but I hadn't heard if it got released or not. Did it? Like beyond festivals? I go see most of what's in theaters and I definitely don't remember that coming to theaters here.

Late to this but after it's festival run it was picked up by A24 but it's release was pushed to April this year. It's supposed to be very good and very weird, and was one of the hardest tickets to get at TIFF this year (I didn't get one, and I can normally get into just about everything)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

drat that's a great cast and it looks beautiful. I'm all about horror that's set in broad daylight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

My Twitter Account posted:

Thaaaaat's it. Thank you. I'm eagerly awaiting that coming out on video but there haven't been any updates :/

Beaten, but yeah it's Antrum. It seems to have done a festival run last year so I'm not sure when the video release is scheduled for.

http://brooklynhorrorfest.com/films/antrum/