Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Tertius Oculum posted:

Hey not sure if many saw this:
https://www.sxsw.com/film/2020/amazon-prime-video-presents-the-sxsw-2020-film-festival-collection/
"“Prime Video presents the SXSW 2020 Film Festival Collection” offers filmmakers in the 2020 SXSW Film Festival lineup an invitation to opt in to take part in this online film festival, which will play exclusively on Prime Video in the U.S. for 10-days. The one-time event will be available in front of the Prime Video paywall and free to all audiences around the country, with or without an Amazon Prime membership, all that is needed is a free Amazon account."

The Green Knight is one of the headliners. So we may be able to see that pretty soon here.

This is opt in only though, and I doubt A24 is gonna let a tentpole film like that stream early, esp since it's almost guaranteed that anything streaming will get ripped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

I guess I'll be the voice of dissent and say that I couldn't stand Us. Was by far the biggest disappointment of the year it came out. For context I thought Get Out was good but also overhyped but man Us was on another level. I found the plot nonsensical on the surface, but cheesy and too on the nose as a metaphor, any tension was undermined by a joke of some sort (and I say undermined because it didn't have the tone control of something like Drag Me To Hell or some of the Korean films that manage to oscillate between tones). Lupita Nyong'o really went for it but she's wasted on the script. It's made me weary of anything Jordan Peele is attached to at this point, at the very least I know to temper my expectations.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Reminder that Possessor is out tonight on VOD, and if you're into Sci-fi, Horror, or Cronenberg, you should probably watch it.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Just popping in to say Hunter Hunter is way gnarlier than I was expecting. Holy poo poo. Would definitely recommend to everyone in here.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Mike Flanagan vs James Wan

let's go

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

I find both Flanagan and Wan to be pretty mid horror directors, Wan is good at making shallow "roller coaster" style horror movies, Flanagan tries to do a lot of "horror as metaphor" stuff but it's not especially well executed. My wife and I just finishedThe Haunting of Hill House and after it was over I just kind of ruminated on how it spent so long to say so little. I couldn't help but think of how much better Lake Mungo is at dealing with adjacent themes of loss and trauma, and only needed 90 min to do it. Hill House did have probably the most effective jump scare I've ever encountered though so /shrug

trip9 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 1, 2021

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

I loved this movie and maybe it's hosed up but I thought the 'your rapist is missing and presumed dead, time for an ice cream party!' ending was screamingly funny and satisfying. It's a great movie.

Please tell me you caught that she ground up the rapist’s bones and put them in the ice cream. My wife audibly gasped at that reveal, and it was so understated that one of our friends completely missed it.

I have a lot of thoughts on Violation. I really want more people to watch this to see if they picked up a lot of the same vibes I was.

I realized about 2/3 of the way through that it wasn’t primarily a rape-revenge film but instead a serial killer origin story

Especially when compared to A Promising Young Woman, this movie is just miles and miles more interesting, though definitely not as polished. There’s just so much to chew on.

In contemporary horror (and maybe just in general), rape is portrayed as the worst thing that can happen to someone, and revenge is always shown as justified. At the very least Violation poses the question about whether the revenge is justified, but my reading is that the main character (I forget her name, sorry) was always manipulative and had the potential to be a killer, and the rape gave her justification to act on those proclivities.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Neon Demon definitely has some New Age'ness in it.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

I just watched this little YouTube doc and was very intrigued:
https://youtu.be/An1OJXIMCTo

This just seems like found footage with another meta-layer of narrative around it, I’m wondering when the style and aesthetics are gonna get co-opted for a viral marketing campaign.

Does anyone have any favorites in this genre, or anything similar?

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Holy poo poo Titane.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

I feel like Titane is such an interesting counterpoint (or maybe just point) to the discussion about nudity. There is so much nudity and sexuality in that movie and I think it is a perfect example of the many ways those things can be employed.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Does Elle count as an erotic thriller?

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

The Blank Check Podcast episode on Halloween did a great job contextualizing the original, and even touched on why it’s not quite as effective without knowing that context. I’d highly recommend it, though I’m sure some people will already know about most of the things that were discussed.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Shudder secret screening is Dark Glasses, the new Argento.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

I'm all for CGI since it's a filmmaking tool like any other, but CGI blood looks terrible 95% of the time and it makes me sad.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

So I’m one of the “thrillers are just horror movies for people who don’t admit they like horror movies” kind of people, but I’m curious how far that can get stretched. For instance I feel like Under the Skin counts as horror in my mind.

Basically I’m asking if I can go see Tár and count it as a horror film.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

It’s “sci-fi thriller” because it’s too good to be “sci-fi horror”, which would make it schlock. Obviously.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I would not call Alien or the Thing schlock

I was being sarcastic, I think genre films can be just as much “cinema” as anything else. Was more poking at the people who differentiate “elevated-horror”.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

zer0spunk posted:

It's also wild to me that I can't think of another horror franchise that explores BDSM/pain as a pleasurable act because it seems like a no-brainer for horror. Best you get are those bad fake snuff film series like guinea pig, which sort of counts I guess, but not at all what I mean.

You should watch Dogs Don’t Wear Pants

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

MrGreenShirt posted:

Top 10, no particular order:

The Fly (1986)
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Tetsuo: the Iron Man
Lo
Bubba Ho-tep
Hellraiser (1987)
The Evil Dead (1981)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
Lake Mungo
Poltergeist (1982)

gently caress yes, Lake Mungo

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Terrifier 2 is a comedy where if you tried to describe any of the funny parts to someone they would just look at you in horror and then never talk to you again.

*me chasing after my normie roommate* “no you don’t get it he’s a clown so he plays the whole thing like a bit and it’s so ridiculous that it’s actually pretty funny”

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Since a lot of people are bringing up The Terror I just want to draw attention to The North Water, which is a one-off BBC miniseries that has a lot of parallels to the first season of The Terror but I found to be even better. It also has Colin Farrell doing a loving amazing physical performance. I don't think I've seen anyone discussing it here but you could definitely make a case for it being horror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGTnoP97fcA

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

My ex was a mortician and I once got to sit in on an autopsy and after that all irl gore didnt really shock me so became kinda pointless to watch.

You having dated a mortician is very on brand and I love it.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I watched The Fog last night for the first time and loved it and now I want to watch more spooky seaman ghost stories. I guess The Lighthouse counts as one of those and I loved that too. Any recommendations?

I mentioned it a page or two back, but even though it doesn’t really scratch the ghost story spooky itch you should watch The North Water, there’s still plenty of darkness and claustrophobia and tension.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Any lesser-known stop-motion spooky features? Just stumbled upon The House from Netflix and it makes me want to catch some other weirdo stop-motion and Henry Selleck stuff is all that really comes to mind, along with Paranorman. Already seen Mad God.

The only stop-motion lists I can find on Letterboxd include way too many live-action flicks with stop-motion effects, and are missing a lot of obvious ones.

I haven’t seen it yet so I can’t personally vouch for it but The Wolf House seems like it’s exactly what you’re looking for.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Sound is such a pain in the loving rear end to work with. I hate it.

I 100% agree. I love every other aspect of dealing with video but sound makes me want to pull my hair out.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

I haven’t seen it but isn’t Calvaire a Christmas horror?

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

I know sometimes people post their horror adjacent projects in here and I made this “micro-short” a couple of weekends ago that I thought turned out pretty well.

https://youtu.be/Oio6cd87kdk

It’s def nothing impressive compared to some of the shorts and stuff I know people in here are making but I shot it by myself in ~3 hours and also did all the grading, editing, and sound (which is why I was reminded how bad I am at it and how much I hate it earlier).

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Man Bones and All was really loving good.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm not too sure about Bones And All because the jump from the first trailer I saw to the second made it look like "poo poo, downplay the cannibalism and play up the romance". As if it doesn't know what it wants to be. I might get around to it at some point, but based on the marketing switch, it looks like it's really gunning for an audience I am very not a part of.

I think it definitely knows what it wants to be but the people marketing it are trying to hit all angles. The romance and coming of age elements are definitely the forefront but it definitely doesn’t shy away from the horror elements. It’s not something like The Humans that just appropriates horror filmmaking for a drama.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

All the talk of Resurrection reminded me of Violation which I don't recall getting nearly as much discussion as it warranted imo.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

gey muckle mowser posted:

That's been on my Shudder watchlist forever, I just haven't been in the mood to watch it. It's a kind of rape-revenge movie, right? The only one of those I've ever really enjoyed was Revenge so I've been hesitant

It's such a deconstruction of the rape-revenge formula that it feels like I will always compare any future films in the genre to it. It made an even larger impression on me because I feel like it came out around the same time as Promising Young Woman, a movie I hated.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

I still feel bad about the amount I laughed at the end of Violation, but let's be honest, every rape revenge movie should end with an ice cream party.

Do you mean the one where she fed everyone the ground up bones of her rapist?

That realization was so wild for me because it so clearly indicates that she's gone well past revenge (even in the context of a rape-revenge horror film) and into sociopathic land. The act of revenge awakened something in her.

trip9 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 30, 2022

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

That's the one!

And yeah, I can see where you're coming from but at the same time there's a catharsis in this kind of movie and horror is uniquely capable of blowing up the upper ceiling of what's reasonable there.

That's exactly why I love the movie. It poses a question about how justified such a revenge is, in a sub-genre where the revenge is mostly the point. There's such a nuanced discussion to be had around it, I would loving love to see someone like Kier-La Janisse's take on it.

trip9 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 30, 2022

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

I avoided all the Bones and All trailers after the first teaser and I’m glad I did because the opening sequence at the friend’s house came as a surprise for me. Between the beautiful shot of her climbing out of the window and that scene I was fully bought in. Just a perfect example of when you’re watching something and just know you’re going to really like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

A little late on We're All Going To The World's Fair discussion, but I basically consider this "review" a companion piece to the movie. Just read it and if it resonates with you then so will the movie, and vice versa: https://letterboxd.com/lifewithnopants/film/were-all-going-to-the-worlds-fair/

trip9 fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 22, 2023