Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Can I get some recommendations on recent (past 10 years or so) movies that would make me scared that there is a malevolent spirit waiting for me to fall asleep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah It Follows is fantastic and I've been looking for something similar but haven't really found it yet.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

I also liked that one and it was exactly the kind of thing I'm most afraid of.

It may be that I just assume there are a lot more scary movies than there are and I've already seen the good ones.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

The Berzerker posted:

I have heard good things about Come True. A young woman joins a sleep study and creepy poo poo happens. I haven't actually watched it yet but it's in the pile.

Thanks, looks interesting.

Drunkboxer posted:

Have you seen Geralds Game?

No, I was thinking that looked potentially scary but not if it's all just psychological. I'll watch it.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Sab Sabbington posted:

HOST is really excellent and might vaguely fit the bill as a demonic spirit movie if you haven't seen it yet. It's also an extremely tight 50 minutes so even if it isn't it's worth a watch anyway imo

Loved that one. Scared the poo poo out of me, which few movies do these days.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

I watched the Sect yesterday and the main plot is kicked off with someone putting a satan bug up a woman's nose as she sleeps.

These wrath of khan reboots are out of control

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

I would watch that movie

isn't that pretty much Halloween 3?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Dragonshirt posted:

We Are Still Here

so I'm about an hour into this and i literally just screamed and threw my phone lol

:yeshaha:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

married but discreet posted:

drat, Hunter Hunter rules. Go in blind.

edit: drat straight I snipe that page with that endorsement

Took your recommendation and :stonk:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

dorium posted:

I liked the little girl connected to Kong bits. I thought that was neat.

uh what

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Sweet.

Can I get some recommendations for movies in which the problem is that something is unusually large?

Have you tried turning off your monitor?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Lake Placid is a very late 90s movie, which is far from a compliment.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

I want to like the Conjuring/Annabelle series but everyone seems to get away just fine for the most part and there's always too much going on and too much cgi.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

I vaguely remember seeing a movie as a teenager about a killer trucker or something? And he rips somebody's jaw off?

I'm assuming it's not good.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I realized I had never seen any other Nightmare on Elm Street movies than Freddy vs Jason, and to fix that I got all the movies.

I understand that it's a pretty uneven series and not all of the movies are great, but are any "not even worth watching" bad?

I only like 1-4 and New Nightmare

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

I like 4 but I still don't understand the motivation to make the series funny instead of scary.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Watching The Legend of Hell House and one of the characters at the very beginning straight up has a big booger hanging out of his nose.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

there's also a typo lol

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

are you a new mod or an old one who changed their name/av

I've been a C-SPAM mod since January.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

oh im sorry that must suck

the real horror thread is in the mod forum

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

me 15 minutes into The Dark and the Wicked: no no no nonononononono no nonono NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONONO NO NO NO

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

The Swashbuckling Adventures of Jason

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Babadook was a great movie because of the metaphor I think, but part of me thinks a better horror movie would have been just a terrifying demon.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

The average Joe's mind back then just wasn't attuned to that sort of thing and to come out and say it would have been box office poison, unfortunately.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Class3KillStorm posted:

Something Awful Horror Thread: Rank the Mad Max movies

Here, I'll start:

Fury Road
Road Warrior
Thunderdome
Original

This is the only acceptable answer.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

I liked [REC] but I liked [REC]2 way more. [REC]3 also ruled but was a very different kind of movie.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I think of REC2 kinda the same way I think of Beneath The Planet of the Apes; they finish the first movie. You can enjoy the first movie by itself just fine, but the sequel completes the story

I'm just a huge sucker for movies that are like no, they are in fact demons, not a virus, not a metaphor.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Stink Billyums posted:

With Spanish horror I just learned to assume that's the way things are.

anything else you recommend?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Could Day of the Dead even be made today? Have there been any post-9/11 movies where the US Army is portrayed as a bunch of gently caress up, barely contained rapists rather than GO! GO! GO! tier-1 operators?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Cronenberg

Chomsky

Argento

drat, take a bath!

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Are they going to both sides a revolution against rich people who mow down poor people with miniguns for fun?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

The Purge series is also not meant to be serious world-building so much as sirens blasting AMERICA IS A THINLY VEILED DEATH CULT at you, which is good imo.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

I think the Purge series works so well as entertainment because we've gotten so used to public mass shootings that we all sometimes imagine what we'd do in that situation, so it's fun to see that play out in a way that is separated a bit from reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Joker plays like it was written by a guy who just discovered that mental illness is a thing and is like "woah, have you guys heard about this?"

haha that's a good description but I enjoyed it anyway.