Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The family in Hereditary isn't even as dysfunctional as a lot of actual families, so that's a weird criticism unless you come from really great home and don't know any dysfunctional families.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Yaws posted:

I thought the first Bad Ben was a decent enough low low budget FF movie. The others are worth watching? I've not heard good things.

They are all worth watching, I binged through them and laughed a lot

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

It's just a symptom of how the average person in America still tends to think of "horror" and "80's slasher" as synonyms, and so anything that has a little more to it(like good cinematography, performances, etc) has to be considered some brand new category.

By far the most frustrating part of talking with horror fans outside of this thread in general.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

It really frustrates me that way more lovely comedies are churned out than lovely horror movies but the former gets more respect and isn't asked to constantly apologize for cheap, lazy comedies coming out by the dozens.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I Know You Know What I Did

okay I'm done

Who Knows What You'll Do Next Summer

Ok, got that out of my system

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

I had forgotten about Smiley, that's a contender for sure.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Midsommar was great, wasn't expecting it to be such an upbeat movie, despite all the shocking violence

Also, the community didn't really seem all that bad. Sure, they get murdery every so often, but they seemed to genuinely support each other and want to be there for Dani

It was also a beautifully shot movie and I adored the soundtrack.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, cults don't seem that bad, as long as they're supportive of some people and only murder certain other people! :psyduck:

As opposed to most movies like this where they would have been unambiguous villains, yeah. I also wouldn't find the ending at all positive in real life, but this is fiction, so...

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ptfmjGbl-bo

3 From Hell trailer is here

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like that trailer made me understand absolutely nothing about what 3 From Hell is about or setup but made me very hype to watch it.

This. It looks like a grimy, colorful nightmare with killer clowns and a high body count. I'm so excited for it!

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I'm keeping my expectations high but realistic. Even if it's not gonna be like the next evolution of Rob Zombie that I was hoping for after Lords of Salem, it's still basically the entire Zombie stable of actors in a Firefly family sequel so yea I'm extremely interested.

Plus Clint Howard, who I don't think has been in a zombie movie yet.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

alansmithee posted:

Fwiw I decided I'd keep mine until I finish a horror challenge.

Also are any of the Into the Dark episodes worth watching? I watched a couple and they seemed like bad Black Mirror ripoffs.

I've only watched Pooka and They Come Knocking

Pooka was interesting and weird enough to hold my interest. They Come Knocking was mediocre and dull.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Harminoff posted:

Trailer for the new Fred Durst directed John Travolta movie The Fanatic is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MAXrDhFoWk

Comes out next month.

That looks like exactly the kind of trashy I'd expect from Fred Durst

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

I'm 33 and only need to take a piss break during a movie if I drink a ton beforehand. But I also don't feel the need to eat or drink anything to enjoy my movie. I tend to only drink a lot if I am bored.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Best of the 2010s: Hereditary/The Witch, I can't decide

Worst of the 2010s: Ugh, Smiley, the worst of insufferable internet horror

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

The Frankenstein Theory was bad but it didn't piss me off as much as Area 407. A plane crashes in a secret government dinosaur preserve and it's somehow the most dull found footage movie I can think of.

Most overrated of the decade? Terrifier. I know the thread rightfully hates it, but I see so many people obsessed with it and it's just such a loving boring movie

Underrated? The Strangers: Prey at Night, people hate on it, but it's way more stylish and fun than a sequel to The Strangers made so long after the fact should have been. I had a blast watching it in theaters and the pool sequence plus the ridiculous, over the top last act were just incredibly memorable.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

In the last 24 hours I have watched both versions of Suspiria (I hadn't seen the original before for some reason) and Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.

I don't really get the hype of the original Suspiria, but try as I might Italian horror, especially from the 70s, never has really worked for me. I loved the use of color and the soundtrack, but wasn't really engaged. I preferred the approach the remake took and loved the intense, body horror moments. I can still appreciate the original as a well made and unique movie that just isn't the sort of thing I enjoy watching.

Scary Stories was alright, really nailed the feeling of fall which I dug. But I'm gonna echo that the Vietnam backdrop didn't work for me and I wish it had been an anthology. I also thought The Jangly Man was pretty weak stuff and it got the most screentime of any of the monsters.

It apparently isn't doing great at the box office, so it doesn't look like that sequel baiting is going to pay off.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Some early reactions to It: Chapter 2 have been rolling in and sound pretty encouraging to me.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-reactions-to-it-chapter-two-are-all-over-the-1837443191

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm eager to see both when they're available since I love the concept of lost films people are warned away from. Case in point, I adored the Masters of Horror ep, Cigarette Burns.

They both seem like different enough takes on it that I'd chalk it up to both ideas being conceived around the same time. Else Films Youtube started promoting Antrum in mid-2016, after all. It's not like either are the first to ever make a movie about a "lost film."

They both seem interesting to me, personally.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Tart Kitty posted:

Most of the reviews I’ve seen of IT Chapter 2 state that it fails to stick the landing, thus arguably making it the most authentic King adaption to date.

I've also seen a lot of people calling it weird, ambitious, and nasty too. So it sounds like it won't be boring at least.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

So what are the most vile, hateful, gross horror movies? I want to know what my tolerance is, how far I can go.

Megan is Missing and Cannibal Holocaust both made me feel gross after watching them.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

You know I got you <3

Unearthed Films also recently put out 2 movies: Torment and Deep Web XXX that are both part of a new line of "Too Extreme" movies that they say are illegal in a lot of countries and so they only put them out themselves bc nobody else would print them? Or some other crazy bullshit marketing gimmick like that but if extreme is what you are looking for they'll definitely scratch the itch. In fact pretty much anything in Unearthed's catalog will if you want the really really really hardcore stuff.

If even THAT doesn't satiate your bloodlust, the only thing I got left for you is Orozco the Embalmer, about an embalmer in Colombia who lives in one of the most poor and violent parts. It's a documentary and pretty much the most extreme thing I have ever seen in my life, jesus gently caress I never want to look at that vile film again. If you sit through Orozco and need more than the only recommendation I have is therapy.

Looked up Orozco and it just sounds really interesting, curious what made it vile for you.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

I liked it on the whole, there's minor complaints I could make, but I was having a great time.

I feel like the people saying it was "nasty" for a mainstream horror release might not be all that familiar with the genre. Hell, Georgie's death in the first was more disturbing than any of the deaths in this one, IMO. It also didn't get as weird as I hoped, the director has been saying the space turtle would be in the movie, maybe that was left for the director's cut? I felt like a lot of the first act was rushing, so that might be where most of the cut material was from.

The Paul Bunyan sequence kicked rear end, though. I loved the final battle too.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Gonna echo that I don't understand clowns being inherently creepy in any way. I loved clowns as a kid and even as an adult if I saw one where I wasn't expecting it I would probably just shrug it off and not think much about it. Tim Curry was really good in the mini-series, but I don't get why an adult would find his performance scary unless it was through nostalgia goggles.

But, I mean, to each their own at that point, what people find scary tends to be really personal.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

got swallowed alive and digested for the final 15 minutes.

One person's scary is some vore fetishist's masturbation fuel

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

If I recall wrt clowns and IT, the deal with Pennywise was always that IT was trying to entice kids to let their guard down in the guise of a friendly clown, but since IT is real loving bad at not being a predatory horror it could never quite manage it.

Oh man, the reminds me of a great sequence in the new movie the does this really well

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Seriously KIller Klowns From Outer Space is the poo poo and is just so much fun. I love it’s scrappy charm at times, as well as the excellent practical effects.

Same, movie rocks and doesn't get the mainstream praise it deserves

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Blast Fantasto posted:

Both of the new Its have issues, but I’m astounded by the amount of people who insist the 90s miniseries is a classic. I enjoy that too but it kind of sucks - like the ideal way to consume that series is secretly renting the video from Blockbuster when you’re 10. As an adult it’s corny as hell

If it weren't for Tim Curry nobody would remember that dull, slog of an adaptation

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

So general question: Has there ever been a horror film that, for whatever reason, made you actvily and honestly angry?

Don't Knock Twice and The Monster Project both had endings that made me feel angry for wasting my time.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Speaking of Scooby doo, who here remembers Scooby Doo on Zombie island? I do, because this song is rad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkNask_pMKo

Well, guess what? They recently made a sequel to that classic film, and they did one of the worst most bullshit things they could have done: They retconned it so that the monsters aren't actually real. That's right, the zombie and werecats were fake all along. I don't know why this annoys me so much, but it does. Why bother making a sequel to a movie decades later that does nothing but retroactively make the first one lamer? Let Scooby Doo fight real monsters drat it! :argh:

Boooo, Zombie Island is one of the best Scooby related things out there, don't mess with it!

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

My gf loves horror but is bad with gore. What are some movies that are good entrance movies to getting into more gory horror.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is my pick

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

I feel like every time a horror movie doesn't get rave reviews people saying critics just hate horror and forget all the horror movies that get good reviews every year.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Checked out the Into the Dark episode Pure and couldn't help but imagine how great a movie it could have been in better hands.

As it was, I liked the cult elements since purity culture is already hosed up and disturbing, but the supernatural bits felt like a different, shittier movie interrupting a competently made one.

On the topic of Rob Zombie, recently rewatched Ho1KC and TDR. House has always worked for me as a stylish, nightmarish fever dream and the coffin scene still freaks me out. Nothing makes sense if you think about it for more than a couple minutes, but the movie is fun. Rejects is still one of my all time favorites. I remember first being exposed to it when I didn't know much about horror and wasn't as into the genre and hating it, but when I rewatched it years later after becoming a big horror fan I got it and loved it.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Tart Kitty posted:

Holidays is largely awful, but the Father's Day short is loving incredible.

Some of the others are weird and kind of interesting, but yeah, Father's Day is SO GOOD

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

I hadn't actually watched Scream 2 before but now I find it weird that it doesn't get the love the first one does, it is a lot of fun.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Been catching up on Channel Zero and can't help but think horror tv is worse without this little show around.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

I'd been wanting to watch Sweetheart and noticed it was on Netflix.

Man, I wish we could get more tight, fun monster movies like that. Not perfect, but a solid little creature flick with a lot of tense scenes in the first two acts. I think it gets a little weaker once the other two people show up but Kiersey Clemons did a great job giving a compelling performance without even speaking for large chunks of the movie.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

There always seems to be at least one horror movie a year that gets a lot of buzz but it's appeal is lost on me. In 2018, it was Terrifier, for 2019 releases, it's Bliss.

Really nothing about the movie worked for me, and it should have been right up my alley. Oh well.

Finally got around to seeing The Color Out of Space and Mandy and enjoyed both of those, at least.

Then got caught up with 3 From Hell and felt like it was just a reheated version of The Devil's Rejects, except with Sid Haig's death dragging the whole thing down. I love Richard Brake in general but the whole dynamic just doesn't work as well without him.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Somebody in the April horror thread watched two Elizabeth Bathory inspired movies, and I realized you could probably do a whole month of those. 31 horror movies at least partially inspired by Elizabeth Bathory. But then I realized that would probably be real bad time, most of those movies would not be good.

So that got me thinking, if you were going to watch 31 horror movies all linked by a single element, what element would give you the worst possible selection of movies to choose from?

Found footage movies about a camera crew that goes to a haunted place to prove ghosts are real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Good thing I still have the free month of Shudder for a few more days so I could finish catching up on some movies.

For the sake of completion, checked out Hell House LLC 2 and 3, which were both bad, but the second was godawful boring and the third was just mediocre.

But then I got to Tammy and the T-Rex and that movie is wonderful