Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Get well soon Choco!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

M_Sinistrari posted:

How is it not good? I've been hearing lots of raves over it.

Yea, it looks like comedy house of the devil, and I like Gradyís books and the last movie he wrote (Mohawk) was excellent. I mean it could suck, but Iíd be kind of surprised given the track record.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingslayer posted:

Don't know if it got posted by Friday 1-8 are only 13 bux on a few digital services today.

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies...&id=lw9MynSeamY

I could have sworn they were just streaming somewhere recently, but I can't find them and I'm too lazy to put on a dvd.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

hell yea! Raw was so good.

I also recently watched the first two slumber party massacres for the first time. Both are pretty great, but the sequel was surprisingly good and heady. Also super nostalgic, since aesthetically, the house was just like my aunt's house when I was a kid.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Donít know if anyone else is in Philly or if itís part of a tour, but goblin are live-scoring Deep Red tonight. Iím bummed it was moved from PhilaMOCA (a cool old mausoleum) but should still be a cool show

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

Season 3 was big loud and goofy and I loved every second.

Hell yea. The whole scoop gang story line was more than worth the price of admission alone.

speaking of fun I highly recommend the Goblin Deep red live scoring events if you can make it. Here's the tour dates:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

On Hellhouse LLC3: Better than 2 but

I think one, the concept is great runs up against keeping the big reveal of Russel doing all this to shut the gate until too late, and being found footage.Like eccentric billionaire back from the dead doing it all deliberately to lure out the evil and shut it down is rad, but it also hew too close to the format of the others to really work.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Untrustable posted:

I wish the people from 5 Second Films would make another movie. DBPM III is such a fun subversion of slasher horror while at the same time staying true to slasher horror. I'm only doing movies I own for the challenge thread so I think I'll buy a copy.

Edit: Amazon has the Collectors Edition for 25 bucks. I think I'll take that plunge.

I just watched it last night. It was a blast.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ariza posted:

Florence Pugh is now my favorite actress. She was so amazing in Midsommar and it was such a stark difference from Fighting with my Family.

If you're into podcasts, Ari Aster is on the latest Doug Loves Movies and I think I love him. He's way too high, but so very charming. It's weird to think that this and Hereditary came from him.

Spoilers from the first bit of Midsommar:
In the first fifteen minutes, when she's howling over the phone, sounds exactly like my Mom answering the phone when her brother killed himself. It hosed me up so much that I had to leave the theater the first time I tried to watch it.

I think it's the most effective movie I've seen in years and she's a huge part of that. I'm very excited for her.

Also, Ari made two amazing, original movies and he's such a sweetheart. I don't know what's next for him but I'm there opening day.

Hereditary gave me a panic attack in the theatre, the worst one I've had in years and the only one ever triggered by a movie.The sequence from the car ride to the discovery to the funeral was way too tense and real, and how did Toni not get an oscar nod

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Casimir Radon posted:

It's an incredibly fun movie.

Agreed. I agree with all of the complaints about it too, but it still works despite them, and isnít close to being the worst Godzilla movie.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

One cut is so good, and Iím so glad I didnít know anything going in.

I love midsommar and itís probably my movie of the year, but letís not kid ourselves and say Cageís wicket man isnít a goofy blast.

And speaking of folk horror, Iím reading harvest home right now and apparently it had a TV movie back when. Anyone see it?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

T3hRen3gade posted:

I
No. There was no redeeming anything in the Nic Cage version, it was a lazy re-imagining of a much better film that added bees for some reason. I love Nic Cage (occasionally), but gently caress that movie.

Disagree. Itís a bad remake but itís at least dumb in a silly way unlike Gus van santís psycho which is just boring and bad.

First horror memory is either The changeling on tv or The Witches in theaters both terrified a very young me. I was absolutely terrified of the trailer for a movie before either Batman or Batman returns where a tv sucks a family into hell. I avoided movie trailers for a good long while after that.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

When I was a little kid UPN aired Alien Abduction: Incident In Lake County, in a "it might be real!" kind of way. It scared the poo poo out of me. For like a year afterward every night when I went to bed I would stare at my bedroom door, convinced that it would swing open and there would be an alien there

I rewatched that a couple of years ago. I wouldn't say it holds up exactly, but kind of impressive for a tv movie from the 90s. And it pre-dates blair witch and last broadcast when it comes to found footage too.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

It sucks the big one, you might as well watch Feeders.

I really shouldn't have just googled that.

yikes

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh man, I strongly disagree with you on this one. Not only did I really enjoy it, it's now one of my favorite horror movies of all time and I loved the magic realism.

It's always weird when you come across someone who loves/hates something you hate/love for all the reasons you hate/love it.

Glad I'm not the only one who loved it. I wouldn't say it's an all time fave, but definitely in the top 5 horror flicks I've seen this year. Which says more about how good this year was for horror than anything bad about Tigers

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

"I know writers who use subtext and they're all cowards"

Is basically my reaction to the new Black Christmas. Itís super on the nose and thereís not a whiff of subtlety. Itís so earnest i was worried it was parody. Itís not! Itís not much of a remake though and definitely isnít the classic the original is, but there are worse Christmas horror movies.

I laughed at
the professor head of the frat cult is basically Jordan Peterson so yea itís on the nose but I canít really blame it for being so direct on its topic. Itís also pretty cleverly pg13 theyre all possessed by black evil alpha goo so that leaks out instead of blood even if itís functionally the same in the lighting

In the spirit of Christmas Iíll round up to a 3/5. Probably donít need to rush out to see it but itís be worth watching next Christmas at home for sure

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

weekly font posted:

Wait what the gently caress?

the college founder was a racist misogynistic wizard whose statue leaks magic goop and makes dudes more alpha and evil because he foresaw women would get out of line.

A remake it isnít, but think of it kind of like the Halloween 3 of Black Christmas. Metaphorically.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

dorium posted:

Careful, you just disturbed Dracula 3Dís only fan in the world somewhere.

If you pretend Dracula 3D is just the cutscenes from some lost mid 90s FMV game it gets a lot more charming

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Houses October Built movies are literally just generic youtube travel blogs with horror skits tacked onto the end.

The most notable thing about either, besides the sucking, is that the evil funhouse skit in the first one uses recognizable sets from Lords Of Salem.

Wasnít that what happened? I thought they were making a documentary and couldnít find a distributor, until one was like ďcan you make it found footage?Ē

I also kind of like them in that itís sort of like falling asleep during a travel channel special on haunts and having a weird dream.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

I need suggestions for movies 1979 and older. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Valerie and her week of Wonders

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

watched the Perfection and was kind of luke warm on it.

I don't think it gave the subject matter the weight it deserved. Would have enjoyed it more if it was basically any sort of torture aside from sexual assault on children. didn't really click with everything else going on. Which isn't to say I don't enjoy a good rape/revenge flick, but it seems like they shoved something like the us olympic gymnastic abuse into an overly twisty thriller script they had already written, which is to say it's more about the headfakes than the serious real world events it mirrors. I'm not against that sort of real world abuse being used in a horror movie, but I don't think this one succeeded.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Watched Host. Leagues better than the Paranormal Activity sequels

RE:Universal monster chat: Bride of, son of, and ghost of Frankenstein are all essential.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

I watched it over the weekend, and I will second (third?) this

Watched it last night. Itís really good!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm in the middle of watching 1BR, and it's been good so far, but I had to take a break because I just got too upset when the cat died. I knew it was coming, like the second that cat showed up I thought "oh that poor baby is dead", but it still made me feel sad when it happened. I hate it when pets are killed in horror movies. It's super common, but I've never gotten used to it. I just really love all cats and dogs and I want them to be safe and happy, ya know?

just finished and That could have been anything burning in her oven. The cat surely escaped while they were remodeling the room and was rescued by someone not in a cult

:colbert:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Watched Iím thinking of ending things. Loved it. that kind of horror film is very up my alley. havenít read the book but on my watch I totally thought it was about Jake being trans and spending her life burying it and the movie is that final dmt trip before death

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

"gey muckle mowser" posted:

I think the film can be an exploration of Jakeís complex thoughts and feelings and memories without needing a diagetic explanation like drugs/hallucinations.

Iím glad people are liking it, I thought it was really great too.

Sure I donít entirely disagree but thereís a lot in the film that leads to a reading that Jake is dead or dying. If it was Jake as male identity and not like literal death, I think the ending would be different.Though I guess Jake/or the janitor itor whoever is the real world Jake is could have just spent the night meditating on things in their car in the snow.

I really want to read the book now.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

All I know is Lake Mungo only came to the US via 8 Films To Die For aka After Dark Horrorfest.

Thatís the only one I ever saw. Think it was a yearly film fest output like ten years ago? But not sure if itís still around.

Lake mungo is absolutely worth watching though

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Late to the party, but Green Room was intense

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

If you enjoyed Green Room's raw energy you'd probably also enjoy Blue Ruin by Saulnier.

Hold the Dark however was a weird letdown that I can't recommend in good conscious to anyone.

i loved Hold the Dark. Better than Green Room even. Maybe I liked it more since, it the first Saulnier I saw, but that cast was so good.Been going though my netflix queue and I'm pretty sure blue ruin is on there, so i'll probably get to it in the next few days

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

How do you tell the difference between a horror and a thriller?

There are three types of thrillers:Spy, Erotic, and the kind people argue if they're actually horror movies or not.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Watched blue ruin. Definitely more of a straight up thriller than even green room, but i thoUght just as good

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

married but discreet posted:

Once again mentioning that I think Hold The Dark is Saulnier's best movie. Definitely his most horror.

I'll second this, though haven't seen murder party yet.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Watched We Summon the darkness. Iím glad they did the twist they did because with all the satanic panic 2.0 QAnon nonsense I donít think I could handle a movie made today positing the satanic panic was real actually. So having it be evangelicals using it for their own ends is pretty spot on

That said politics aside thought it was just ok.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

looks like Antebellum isn't worth the rental fee. Kind of a bummer, was looking froward to checking it out even with the bad reviews, but not for 20 bucks

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

at least on amazon. haven't checked elsewhere, but probably not much different

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

movie wise I'm pretty much just down to horror, criterions, and my evangelion box set.

Books, records, retro games...that's where I've got some real problems.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I just watched and adored A Ghost Story. I don't know if it's exactly horror, but it's melancholy, autumnal, and I think at least fits with the spirit of spookadoodle.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Anyone doing Salem horror fest now that itís all streaming? Looks cool but also a bit pricey for my blood

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Untrustable posted:

Ringu is so much better than Ju-On. My only real complaint is that, having seen the American version of The Ring, I was let down by the face reveals in Ringu. In The Ring, the people who got hosed up by the tape looked, well, hosed up. In Ringu it's like, "please don't look upon his hideous visage. He died in a gruesome way." *Pulls down sheet to reveal dude with caked on makeup doing his best "surprised" face*.

I refused to see the ring because I was a lame freshman in college who was mad there was a pg13 remake of a Japanese film I never saw to begin with.

Should probably rectify that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Donít know how I feel about The Craft Legacy trailer.

Except Iím now completely over the spooky slowed down pop song trend. Usually works for me, but between this and the stand trailer seems itís just getting lazier and lazier.