Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Fart City posted:

TOM ATKINS

You make a compelling argument

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

The first like 5 minutes of Suspiria

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

M_Sinistrari posted:

Since we're talking on favorite opening and ending scenes, what about favorite trailers for movies? Here's some of my faves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O--gF8nVkik

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm sure Nicholas Cage will scale back and do something less insane after Mand....

It's Sion Sono's English-language debut

its like the platonic ideal of the perfect movie

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

speaking of found footage woods movies, Sasquatch on prime owns incredibly hard. Probably one of the first found footage movies and imo as far as the search for bigfoot mockumentary genre goes its way more entertaining than Boggy Creek.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

^^^^^
The modern horror movie “industry” absolutely deserves to be thrown under the bus

My Twitter Account posted:

Minus the werewolf part, this is kind of what happens in Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2.

It’s also basically the zombie section from vhs 2

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Counter point: Horror is pretty great.

Also, I have no idea why you put industry in quotes.

I mean, when I say horror industry I mean like the current big name horror directors/producers working ala James wan and mike Flanagan and Netflix originals that make serviceable derivative dreck with mass appeal and lots of blue filters. Those dudes suck.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I actually didn’t really like lake Mungo because I found it slow and sad and not scary at all for like 99% of it, but I’m not gonna lie the big scene still got me pretty good it’s a very well done scare. One scare doesn’t make a movie for me though

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I'm really into lost world stuff right now so more B movie stuff like that which is good I am down for.

The Day Time Ended is a favorite of mine just for how hilariously dumb it is. They really pull out all the stops.

Planet of the Dinosaurs is another good one.

They’re both bad movies but they’re fun bad movies

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Most of those old bbc specials are on YouTube in decent quality

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

I just thought of something: Are there any super gory ghost movies?

The only one I can think of is Ghost Ship and Event Horizon if it counts.

We Are Still Here if I remember correctly is gory as hell

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This is actually a pretty funny statement, considering

Yeah I was gonna say I’m pretty sure the original Italian for any of these movies are still dubs, we just can’t tell because we don’t speak Italian lol.

Its also funny Tenebrae was brought up because I know they got the main actor to do his own lines (or at least dub his own voice) because I was immediately able to recognize him in some other film by his voice (I couldn’t stop seeing him as his character from tenebrae)

Edit:
I went to the trivia page on IMDb to try to find out more and didn’t see anything on that, but did find this interesting. I had no idea and I’ve seen the movie like 10+ times

quote:

In an interview that appeared in Cinefantastique, Dario Argento noted that the film was intended as near-science fiction, taking place "about five or more years in the future ... Tenebre (1982) occurs in a world inhabited by fewer people with the result that the remainder are wealthier and less crowded. Something has happened to make it that way but no one remembers, or wants to remember ... It isn't exactly my Blade Runner (1982), of course, but nevertheless a step into the world of tomorrow. If you watch the film with this perspective in mind, it will become very apparent." Argento later insisted that the film was set in an imaginary city, fifteen years in the future, and that the disaster the city's inhabitants were striving to forget was an atomic bomb blast.

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 19, 2018

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Honestly, Rutger Hauer monologuing about the cowboy lifestyle would probably improve just about any film

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

Aside from Angel Heart, are there any great horror films about a detective/police officer who goes to investigate a mystery and finds something supernatural? I guess In the Mouth of Madness sort of works in the same vein.

I wouldn’t call either of them great but Cast a Deadly Spell and The Resurrected are fun neonoir horror

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Do you mean The Night Flier, because that movie is really loving good.

Edit: Apparently no it's a different movie? Is Night Flier a remake?

Oh man the night stalker and the resultant series are all time classics of horror television. Kolchak friggen owns. Not at all related to the night flier

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

drat that’s like record time from release of a foreign movie to Hollywood remake. Hopefully it doesn’t suck like 90% of these tend to

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Just a nice time with friends sitting around the ole yule log with some hot cider settling in to watch

*checks notes*

Cannibal Holocaust

Man I wish I had friends like that

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I feel like I’ve seen at least a handful of slashers in which the villain is defeated by being set on fire (then usually running out of a window) but I can’t think of names of the top of my head.

Maybe The Burning? :classiclol:

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Hollismason posted:

It drives me loving crazy that Amazon Prime has all these lovely movies that I wanna watch but they're in 4:3. Like Maniac Cop 2. WHyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

excuse me,, but maniac cop 2 is NOT a lovely movie :colbert:

(i know what you mean though, a lot of stuff on amazon prime are really awful quality)

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Is gingerdead man fun bad or bad bad

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Looking for horror book recommendations, I’ve been trying to read more lately. I read The Haunting Hill House and We Have Always Lived in the Castle this week and really liked them both. In the past the only stuff I’ve read that’s horror related has been Steven King and I gotta be honest, I don’t really like his books. So stuff more like Shirley Jackson and less like Steven King. What are some 20th century classics of the genre? I know this came up in the last thread at some point.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Cool, ill check it out thanks. I actually forgot there was a book forum lol

Ill get a few of these next time I'm at the library, thanks
vvv

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 25, 2018

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I watched The Editor, Fathers Day and Manborg and thought they were all unfunny garbage where all of the constant “oh so random” jokes missed and they looked like they were made by a bunch of friends with no budget or acting talent.

Perhaps they’re just not for me, I don’t know why I watched all of them to be honest

I’ve watched almost every single giallo, I just thought it was a bad movie
vvvv

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 30, 2018

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

bird box looks really bad and it makes me sort of irrationally annoyed that its become a hit off some sort of viral meme marketing campaign despite this

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

New Years Evil is a lot of fun imo, but I love the grimy punk aesthetic it has

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I don’t like James Wan, and it’s personal!

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

Has there ever been an in-canon explanation of why Jason almost-drowned and then decided to live in the woods for some reason, even though his mom was right there.

Technically I think he lived in the lake until his mom died

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the only good characters in the f13 remake are the Asian and black best bros who unfortunately receive exactly the fate you would expect of the minority characters in a f13 remake

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Angst and I Stand Alone are the moves that remind me most of Henry, in that they have the same uncomfortable and grotesque nihilism to them

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

There was this random 70s/80s slasher about a serial rapist killer photographer I watched on prime earlier this year I remember being particularly nasty and uncomfortable but for the life of me I cannot find or remember the name of the movie now

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Found it, it was Don’t Answer the Phone. Idk if I even want to rewatch it because I remember it being generally vile and unpleasant (edit: if not particularly good) but I kindve feel obligated to now lol

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 5, 2019

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Pomp posted:

Re:noroi, I looked up the director awhile back and see the almost exclusively did mockumentaries which made me kind of wary of him maybe being a one hit wonder. Is anything else from him worthwile

Occult is IMO as good as Noroii, but is more blackly comic and less of a straight horror movie. His others are varying levels of decent to good but not up to the same level

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Scanners is actually really good all the way through

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

speaking of which, I always thought it was funny that The Power (basically depalmas proto scanners) ends with a guy getting his entire body telepathically blown up except for his head

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 8, 2019

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

The last like 15 minutes of Tenebrae are one of my favorite moments of film. The twists, blood and cheese are unreal

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Pomp posted:

my partner just noticed the Friday the 13th movies are on netflix and now she wants to go hard on them them, which ones should I play stardew valley through? I've seen the original, X and FvJ. Enjoyed how good the latter two were but only really found the first interesting for its cultural significance (and i was surprised jason wasn't it lol)

If your idea of good is Jason x you should be pleasantly surprised by like every movie in the series (it’s the worst one)

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Windows 98 posted:

The proper Friday rankings are as follows

X

5, 8, and 9 are trash and you shouldn’t even bother watching them. Someone will undoubtedly come in here and tell you 5 is good, but it really isn’t, don’t believe their lies.

The 2009 reboot is decent enough and worth watching. I am a fan of Danielle Panabaker so I may be biased. I hear a lot of people dogging on it but frankly it probably fits in either before or after X depending on how forgiving you are.

Weird I didn’t know I was posting in the “bad opinions on Friday the 13th” thread

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

the two hellraisers that are basically lovely takes on Jacobs ladders are a guilty pleasure of mine. its nice to see dean winters in things

That would be hellseeker and inferno

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Hollismason posted:

There is that one later I liked with the cop but I forget which one that is. Its basically Hellraiser: Silent Hill.

This also describes Inferno (which is good [for a direct to video non Friday the 13th horror franchise entry] imo)

Also I just looked it up and it’s the directorial debut of the guy who would go onto make Sinister and Dr Strange

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 14, 2019