Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Deep Red is one of my favorite movies regardless of genre, if I could like somehow make my ideal horror movie it would look pretty much like deep red. I admit it’s poorly paced at times and the dubbing can be distracting, but it’s got so much atmosphere and style in the typical crime thriller shell, there’s nothing quite like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Just cause spacey is a pedo rapist doesn’t retroactively mean American Beauty isn’t good

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Probably one of the guinea pig series or other similar 90s dtv movies that are basically excuses for lots of torture

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I actually feel like the weird one for remembering the Martyrs post because it was four years ago, wow.

:psyduck: what is happening to time

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Nicolas Cage has like, so many great performances. Raising Arizona? Adaptation? Wild at heart? that’s hardly even scratching the surface.
For your ills, I prescribe a nic cage marathon

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Friends Are Evil posted:

The Prowler's a real middle of the road slasher, but the Jersey vibes make it worth it. Also, the gore is straight-up nasty. Tom Savini flexing so hard he should make a workout tape.

Real glad Shudder actually lists what's leaving so I can fill some gaps.

I’d argue it’s definitely above average for a slasher, but only because there’s A LOT of really bad slashers

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

This Burial Ground movie is really something. The “kid” playing Michael is far more off putting than any of the zombies.

Just wait till you see how his/his moms story line ends up. That movies a “classic” for a reason

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Fart City posted:

Speaking of Netflix, they’re bringing back Unsolved Mysteries.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/01/18/rejoice-netflix-is-bringing-back-unsolved-mysteries

BIGFOOT ENCOUNTER REINACTMENTS IMMINENT

If you ever wanna see a movie that’s like a big foot documentary, except they actually run into Bigfoot, Sasquatch is a lot of fun provided you have some allowance for it being a low budget 70s flick. Imo holds up much better than Boggy Creek

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I had no idea they were still letting Richard Stanley make films.

I liked Dust Devil and Hardware a fair amount so I looked up what he's done recently and I guess he's been doing weird occult documentarys. Has anyone seen any of them? looks interesting

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

frankee posted:

Who Can Kill a Child?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075462/

its a seriously disturbing movie for people who have had children die.

Also the first 8 minute intro has documentary footage of of childeren dying and dead

This movie is really good, def a “hidden gem”. Reminds me almost of the wicker man in a way

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Hereditary is a very pretty film and Collete has a great performance, but the movie just comes off as very shallow to me. The wretchedness of the family's existence was something that really doesn't give the audience a way to really connect with the character or feel tension in the horror. The Witch tells a very similar story in a much more devastating fashion because it actually felt like a family of real people being gradually torn apart.

I didn't find the family at all unrealistic, maybe you just had a good home life

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

the weird thing with carpenter is a lot of his best movies were financial flops, big trouble in little china, the thing, they live. Like I guess now everyone realizes what a master he is but that was not the case for most of his career

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

That's a cool double feature, Queen of Blood is basically proto lifeforce (if no where near as good)

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Otherworldly good in this case being a magical negro

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Hills have Eyes
Nightmare
Serpent and the Rainbow

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

It sounds like they announced it and then either Amazon or/and Shudder realized enough people subscribed to the channel to make it worth keeping around. Even at the date they announced I didn't notice any interruption and it's always been updating like normal. I too am afraid to ever unsubscribe though.

Maybe Shudder had planned to have some combination of dedicated PS4/Fire Stick/Sling channel/etc. other options be a thing and it fell through suddenly or something.

There was def a period of time where if you unsubbed on Amazon you could not resub to shudder through Amazon. This happened to me and I emailed support and they gave me 3 free months of actual shudder so it was cool

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Practical effects aren't going to make a mediocre movie any better. Like it's completely perpendicular to the issue.

I disagree. There's lots of old movies that are fun to watch for zany practical effects that are otherwise not very "good" movies, but when the 90s/00s rolled around and all the cheap movies started using lovely digital effects it made them much less entertaining overall.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I just watched “Servants of Twilight” and it was by all accounts nothing special but it had Grace Zabriskie and the Giant as a cult leader and her right hand man (easily the best part of the movie), it’s always kinda cool to see Twin Peaks alumni in random other movies from the era

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

all the stuff related to old timey psychiatry/""Treatment"" culminating in him wolfin out in the operating theater was cool, the way they treated the mentally ill was probably more horrifying than the literal wolf man lol.

overall its a fun movie though that i think aged well as a silly monster movie even if it has horrible cgi

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Carnosaur 2, Witchboard 3, Witchcraft 7, Xtro 3, Leprechaun 3, Halloween 6, Howling 7 or TCM: The Next Generation? thats a tough choice...

(the real answer is Seven or Dia de la Bestia)

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

The manglers actually a pretty good movie. It’s got ted Levine as a cop and Robert England as a hammy bad guy and a killer washing machine, it’s def self aware about what it is and it’s a fun ride

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I went into Zardoz not expecting anything but it actually completely owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

^^^
That would be hilarious

Origami Dali posted:

dracula can't go in uninvited, he can't get near two overlapping pieces of wood, he can't eat pizza or pasta, he can't walk around in daylight, can't touch silver, he can't loving touch water, and in addition to all that he can also die by getting decapitated, stabbed, burned, shot, and drowned just like the rest of us. dudes a goddamn joke.
Also can be stopped by throwing rice near him