Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Perhaps the same could be said of all current big name horror directors/producers. I mean I wouldn't say Sam Raimi or Argento or Fulci were exactly "big names" in the 80s at an equivalent level to Wan or Flanagan today.

Man, Netflix. Apostle was so good but people were underwhelmed by it it seemed. It was honestly refreshing to have something with that premise be so fast paced.

yeah Apostle wrongfooted me in the best way possible and i loved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

I just thought of something: Are there any super gory ghost movies?

The only one I can think of is Ghost Ship and Event Horizon if it counts.

i feel like 13 Ghosts is a baby step towards this

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Just got around to seeing Mandy and holy poo poo, what a great film. Nicholas Cage still can't act worth poo poo but it doesn't even matter. This has to be on my top 10 films now.

your hot take was buried but caught my eye nonetheless

how dare you

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the logical inconsistencies and broken narrative of The Shining is why it's great, i think. as soon as you start picking up on it, the conflicting details are relentless and you realise it all contributes to this horrible weird fever dream. it is a movie that gets better the more you watch it

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Gerald's Game has a pretty good dog in it that survives the whole film

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i watched Bird Box and it was a hot mess and about thirty minutes too long. can someone please make a horror movie feat. simultaneous pregnancies, john malkovich and cosmic terror thats actually scary? on the plua side it made me want to play Bloodborne again

then i watched Our House and it was just boring. i am keen to see the low budget original film tho

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Darko posted:

Also, Bird Box is barely what I'd call horror - it's more apocalyptic fiction.

Darko posted:

And the premise is just Lovecraft. Unknowable creatures cause insanity and death, crazy people cult around it, the cult is more of an issue than the creatures. The ending is not sustainable, eventually, seeing crazy people will wipe out everyone. She's just giving the kids, who never knew another life, a chance to actually live for a bit.

to me, these two things are why the movie feels completely at-odds with itself and ultimately frustrating. it presents an utterly unstoppable, unknowable terror, then asks us to accept a story that isn't actually a horror story; a story with an ending so emotionally upbeat that it feels counter to the rest of the film.

i felt the same frustration with the Haunting of Hill House series. backing out of the horror at the last minute feels like a betrayal of my expectations within the world the narrative has created.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

christ that bird box article was worse than the movie

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

I never heard of A Field in England but I guess I'll give it a go.

i like Kill List and A Field in England a lot! but Field in England feels way less like a horror movie and more like a drug film

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Davros1 posted:

I remember watching "Without Warning" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111735/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_47 on CBS when it first aired. It's a series of fake news reports about an entire town vanishing, a meteor coming to Earth, and all sorts of strange going ons that might just be aliens.

Whole thing seems to be on the Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89u81khMVyc

thanks! this looks cool and i will watch it late some night this week

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the bird box challenge is to sit through the movie and think "this was a good way to spend more than two hours"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Pomp posted:

In the Mouth Of Madness did was effective at making it seem like the world was ending just outside the edges of the story

the acting was awkward tho, which was odd given the talent in both the director and actors :confused:

i think a lot of it hinged on Julie Carmen - she has a lot of screentime and her story has just as much whiplash as Sam Neil, but she gets a bit lost between Sam and all the guest stars popping up along the way. not a diss on her abilities, but for me she's the weak link.

i think Sam does a good job of bridging the weirdness with someone who can't believe he's tracking down a stupid horror writer

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Horror Thread: Hey have you heard of the Horror Express

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Upcoming movie from the director/writer of Nightcrawler, any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOnhDaP1uTg

I think it looks pretty dope, but I don't know if it's a must-see until after some word-of-mouth.

i loved Nightcrawler and i love Jake G and Johnny M and this looks pretty fantastic so i am excited to watch it

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Cabin in the Woods is fine, and the scenes with Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford are good, even

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Gejimayu posted:

I saw Mandy in theaters and it reaIly blew me away. As soon as the King Crimson song came on during the opening credits I knew something special was happening. It finally made me come around to Nick Cage and realize that with the right director and script he's a powerhouse. It also made me hate the reddit horror forum as many of them made fun of Linus Roache's acting, which was awesome; and the bathroom scene, which was one of the most emotionally visceral scenes that I've ever seen. Still haven't seen Beyond the Black Rainbow by Cosmatos, but man do I gently caress with Mandy.

it shouldnt surprise me, because, well, reddit, but linus roache deserves just as much acclaim as cage for Mandy. he goes toe-to-toe crazy with one of cinema's most notorious crazy guys and seems like he's having a blast as well.

mandy rocks

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

You must have never seen the unrated version.

this made my day. thankyou!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

Has anyone ever watched the Shining miniseries? They talked about it briefly on Supercontext and made it sound like it was made exclusively to cater to King’s ego.

when i was a kid i saw some of the hedge animal sequence, which is one of my favourites from the book, and it freaked me out a bit. hedge animals come to life is terrifyin'

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Hollismason posted:

The Horror Thread: That's why they cordoned off Stone Henge. To many people being lasered.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

It’s absolute bullshit Toni Collette didn’t get nominated.

strong agree. also alex wolff for the car scene alone but this is the fate of horror films in award shows

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Mandy not getting public outrage for no nomination for best score is a real snub tbh

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

in conclusion hollywood is a land of contrasts

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Fart City posted:

Money shot at the end of the trailer is a battered Mr. Rogers smiling and saying “we’ve got backup” and it just slam cuts to Thomas The Train plowing through a Chuck E Cheese

thomas the tank engine theme distorting the speakers at a tremendous volume

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

TheBizzness posted:

I actually went in to Velvet Buzzsaw blind and didn't realize it was a horror movie. I was digging it for the first hour or so until the actual horror started and that part is just so underwhelming compared to the rest (Imo, of course).

yeah its not heaps a horror film; it just uses those to tell a weird story about creativity and artistry and capitalism i think? but i enjoyed ir a whole lot

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

finally watched hereditary and now i'm mad toni collette isn't nominated for an oscar.

its criminal but the oscars are also very stupid

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

back on Saw chat: Saw 1 is legit an interesting stylised movie that does a unique sort of puzzle-box movie. the nu-metal sounds are a bit much but you get
Cary Elwes and Danny Glover chewin big scenery. it's worth seeing just cuz it launched a somewhat insane franchise.

Saw 2, 3 and 4 are all pretttttty forgettable but honestly Saw 5 and 6 are so bonkers and funny and ridiculous, while committing so hard to the template and canon developed over the series, that i really have a soft spot for them. Hoffman is the superior Jigsaw. the traps keep turning into The Incredible Machine of murder.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Untrustable posted:

The first one. The only one that exists. The rest are all part of your dreams. You're in a coma. Wake up.

Nightmare on Saw Street

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

One of the best "poo poo just got real" moments in any movie is in the original too when the kid looks out the window and sees him walking back around the house with the body and the sound of the campy movie they're watching gets distorted into loud static in time with the kid noticing him.

i belive they are watching the original "the thing" movie

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the sound in that MIDSOMMAR trailer, hot drat

keen to check it out, hope ari aster isn't a massive poser

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Void was fun the first time i watched it and really great the second time. its $180k and every dollar of it is onscreen.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

Remember that X-files episode where Tony Todd has dream powers?

good poo poo

also one of a small number of eps with not-yet-revealed-as-bad-guy krychek, who is kind of a really good character

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

late reply but to me the Paranormal Activity series works less as found footage and more as a sort of horror Where's Wally. most (not all) of the shots that use horror in the series are presented from fixed positions, large full-room shots that train you to search for the odd-thing-out. it might be a curtain fluttering, or a door ajar, or a full on ghost attack.

but it creates a natural suspense that to me is a bit different from the frantic, jerky direction that i associate with a lot of found footage. and yeah that exists in Paranormal Activity too, but its not the standout part for me

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

does anyone know what happened to Shudder's plans to launch in Aus? last i heard was a launch date of 2018, and radio silence since then. i hope it is still happenin

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

I need some good gory fun after the lovely slog that was Brawl in Cell Block 99. What a massive sloppy turd.

maybe give From Beyond a go if you can. pretty great fun and gore and Barb gets into a pretty outrageously kinky outfit at one point

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I finally got around to watching a few movies I've been putting off.
Pulse was low-key creepy throughout! Genuinely creepy film about the internet that, despite being released in 2001, feels weirdly relevant. Not my favorite Japanese horror, cuz it's slow pace makes my eyes heavy, but I'm more than willing to rewatch it with a cup of coffee.

Pulse is great. its a real anxious, unsettling movie. the sleepy dull dread makes it my favourite late night horror film i reckon

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Untrustable posted:

I'm trying to think of a voice other than "The Joker" that Mark Hamill can do to sound menacing. I feel like it's just gonna be the joker voice. Also! Does Mancini own the rights to the Chucky name? Is the doll named something different in the new movie? Sorry I've not kept up with the reboot and haven't seen any marketing materials.

a slight twist on his Skips from Regular Show could be terrifyingly masculine but i cant imagine it as Chucky without veering into Jokerland

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

tldr: I was expecting "Summer of '84" to be a King-esque tale of kids spending a summer growing up and finding love and friendship while hunting a monster. Instead it was a really sad story of the summer where a bunch of kids had their lives ruined forever.

and weirdly, King is the one with the career in horror

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i think you'll find that all horror is elevated anime

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Speaking of event horizon, I wish they didn't make the black hole so clearly lead to 'hell' instead of simply leading to a dimension where the laws of physics are so hosed its basically a hell for anyone who lived in our dimension

Like the idea that trying to live in a world where our laws of cause and effect no longer make sense being indistinguishable from torment is such a cool idea

really late reply but the junji ito comic Hellstar Remina does a really great job of portraying an utterly incomprehensible alien hellscape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ulio posted:

Anyone here watched the Creep movies? Really enjoyed those, found footage films are kinda getting rare these days but this series seem pretty good thus far.

I didn't know the creep guy Mark Duplass was also the writer, he is such a great actor, surprised he doesn't get more work.

Creep was good and Creep 2 was just great. Duplass tends to work quite a lot but mostly in stuff he has written and directed (horror is a bit of an exception for him). he's done a lot of pretty solid dramas and dramatic comedies. he also was one of the four leads on the tv show The League which is sometimes good and sometimes unwatchable