Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

No, Frankenstein is a homunculus, zombies are mindless ghouls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

V/h/s/2 is by far the best of the trilogy imo, Safe Haven is loving great, I'm in the camp that SPAA is very good, and both Clinical Trials and Ride in the Park are at least decent and don't out stay their welcome. but they all have some good segments, even 3 has at least one good segment!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

sponges posted:

I must be crazy because I liked every segment in the first two VHS movies

3 is the only one Id say is more bad than good, and that's mainly because it has the worst framing story that feels like it takes the most time.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah as goofy as Scream was as a series it was always great when you got to the part where the killer is told they're completely full of poo poo then dies.

One of the many things I'd put in a Friday the 13th movie if they'd let me make one would be someone just kind of ranting at Jason about what a loving rear end in a top hat he's being.

Hellraiser remake where Kirsty explains the concept of informed consent to the cenobites

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What are some good horror movie podcasts? I've been listening to Nightmare on Film street lately and I really enjoy them (both of the host just love horror movies so much!), but unfortunately I've almost made it through their entire backlog and now I'm hungry for more.

The podcasts can neither be positive or negative in nature, I'm just as happy to listen to people complain about movies they hate as I am excited to listen to people praise movies they love.

Nameless Cults is v. good, and done by noted cineD poster uncle boogeyman

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I thought Ready or Not was very good and that it totally earned its ending, and that Grace seeing a brief momentary glimpse of Satan in the chair after the family all explode and just going "well, gently caress" was probably my favorite moment.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

iirc the T-800 mostly uses his bare hands in the original

Not until at least the halfway point, everything up through the police station escape is guns blazing with one or two up close takedowns like the roommates boyfriend.

The Terminator absolutely is Michael Myers But Guns, though, there's no escaping that.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

If I recall wrt clowns and IT, the deal with Pennywise was always that IT was trying to entice kids to let their guard down in the guise of a friendly clown, but since IT is real loving bad at not being a predatory horror it could never quite manage it. Haven't seen the sequel yet (going to see it tonight) but I felt that vibe was communicated way better in the 2017 movie than in the miniseries, where Curry is basically just playing clown satan

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

IT 2 trip report:

liked the movie overall, but if you're gonna talk that much poo poo about weak endings you better have one a lot more solid in the pipe than what you went with

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I don't think the ending was bad, per se, but when you literally have a running gag of "ha ha, the guy who wrote this is poo poo at endings," you're gonna call attention to all the flaws in the ending you have coming up.

E: also, the guy playing Eddie had powerful Harry Dean Stanton energy and it kept distracting me through the whole movie

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 7, 2019

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

I've seen a couple people post on Facebook that It Chapter 2 had "unnecessary violence against LGBT" and "ruined" the movie for them, but I haven't gotten any details. Does that ring a bell? Can someone spoiler? Because I'm curious.

the opening of the movie is mostly identical to the first Adults chapter of the book, where a gay couple is the victim of a hate crime and Pennywise makes his first appearance in 27 years by killing one of the gay men after the people who attacked them threw him over a bridge

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I don't think Briggs is a nazi but he very much buys into the "kids these days are all snowflake pussies" school of dumbass reactionary thought.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

4: script the loosest connection possible to something King wrote and run it straight into the wall (Lawnmower Man, Dark Tower)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

sean10mm posted:

Just rewatched House (1977), and it's amazing how even the most straightforward scenes have SOMETHING weird going on with the editing, or transitions, or something in the background, even if on paper it's just a couple people talking. I remembered the general craziness in the 2nd & 3rd acts, but forgot how even the "normal" scenes setting things before up they even got to the house invariably have some kind of off-kilter element to how they're presented.

It rules. 10/10 Aunties chilling with skeletons.

House is absolutely loving amazing and one of my favorite Halloween season watches, its absolutely magical.

One of my fondest memories of that movie was during a watch with friends, when the movie actively trolled them during the bus stop scene by opening on the wide shot of the girls in front of a very obvious backdrop, my friend making a crack about the movie not having much budget for location shooting, and the movie immediately cutting to the establishing shot of the Japanese countryside with the girls standing in front of a backdrop in the middle of a field.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

In the subject of Prometheus/alien/covenant/etc, my personal interpretation has been that the xenomorph form is the endpoint of a sort of metaphysical carcinisation, where the Xenomorph form is not something “created” so much as an archetypal form of horror and hate that exists in everything, and everything will eventually return to given enough time or fuckery.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

My main criticism of Alien films post-aliens is I don’t really like the idea of the xenomorphs as mindless animals and prefer it when they have some demonstrated intelligence or guile, and a lot of later films in the series tend a little too hard towards there that only the queen is capable of thinking her way out of a paper bag, your average xeno is just dumb as a sack of bricks.

Basebf555 posted:

These ideas are funny and all but I definitely think we're ready for a movie that's 100% just Predators and they speak Predator the whole movie so you'd need subtitles. I'm kinda surprised that hasn't been done yet.

This but directed by the coen bros

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/_spectrevision/status/1372369472703533056?s=21

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/severinfilms/status/1372578946726903812?s=21

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

Jeff Bezos being rich doesn't make me less rich.

Lmao

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Fury Road
Road Warrior
Original
Thunderdome

Note: there are no Bad Max movies

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I wouldn't say that critics as a rule hate leftist films but they absolutely as a rule will be willing to criticize leftist messaging far more harshly than they do the right wing psychopathy gleefully on display in much of the rest of hollywood.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Evil Dead 2 is absolutely a horror movie, its just got goofy moments. The series didn’t really gently caress the horror-wacky ratio until Army of Darkness, which is basically a fantasy action comedy, like galaxy quest with skeletons.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I love this lmao

You would absolutely loving love Chainsaw Man, the comic that artist does, it’s the most extremely Your poo poo manga ever written. Teen who inherited his father’s yakuza debt gets chopped up into pieces as punishment, but his dog (who is actually a devil) fuses with him to bring him back to life as a devil-man with chainsaws for hands (and face) to have a second chance at fulfilling his dream of touching titty, and he get recruited as a monster hunter by the Japanese government. It’s great, super gory, extremely funny, has some incredible imagery, and is basically “what if Sam Raimi did a shounen manga”

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Roth posted:

Went to an empty screening of Candyman today. I rather enjoyed it, though I understand it seems to have a mixed reception.

Some great moments like the elevator sequence and the finale really stick out in my mind.

Overall I greatly enjoyed it but I’m not sure how to feel about the ending being, essentially, “Tony Todd rides in on a swarm of bees to do out-of-focus action movie poo poo to a bunch of cops” which is a concept that could have been explored or executed much differently.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I’ve gone to the theater several lines in the last two months and you don’t need to worry, most theaters are pretty fuckin empty rn

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

weekly font posted:

That and Man Bites Dog are two movies I’ve almost watched like 20 times thanks to this thread but still haven’t.

Man Bites Dog gets extremely dark but it also has my favorite recurring gag in a horror movie, so

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Real strong “every crook killed is a cycle of violence ended” energy itt

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The repeated argument that Get Out is not remotely political is giving me strong vibes of a very funny series of posts in the Dredd thread where someone was convinced it was an uncritical fascist screed about how incredible violence is the only way to stop gangs, and that this was also a very good thing

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Saw the new Hellraiser last night, it was okay. Way too obsessed with ~lore~ and the whole addiction angle felt kind of hollow, but the cenobites looked cool as hell and the new pinhead (sorry clive, the names too iconic to dump just because you don’t like it) was extremely well done. greatly enjoy that when Riley selected Chatterer as a sacrifice all the cenobites were like “eh, it’s a fair cop” and just rolled with it. Very in keeping, imo

Regarding the Cenobite Discourse I think that, like, they’re kind of let down by being featured in a series that is, at the end of the day, pretty mass marketed and angled for a wide audience. They’re limited to being generic torture slasher monsters because actually digging into the implications of how hosed they are would be way too much for the audience that hulu/Disney/whatever thinks they want to get with the movies. Like, its okay to show someone getting tortured to death, but showing someone actually getting off on having their dick and balls scourged would be too much for the people paying for these things.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

God that movie loving ruled, we needed fresh blood in the Chatty Slasher bullpen

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I think the key detail in M3GAN that makes the turn into killing kind of work is after the dog attacks m3gan and cady, Gemma very loudly declares that she’s willing to have the dog put down. It’s already established that m3gan listens and tries to conceptualize information unbidden (see the bit where she researches death on her own) and she later explains that gemma never tried to put up guard rails to control her behavior; by saying she wants to have the dog put down, gemma is inadvertently teaching M3GAN that killing is an acceptable solution to problems

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

I feel like Batista and Rock got the same advice - "be easy to work with" - and incorporated it in different ways. Rock says yes to everything with no mind towards quality,

Lol that’s like the exact opposite of The Rock’s problem, he’s so obsessed with maintaining His Brand that he will only accept roles that fit within an extremely narrow range of performance. It’s why he’s completely stagnated as a performer, there’s only one The Rock performance you get and he absolutely refuses to deviate from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The aliens=demons connection always made sense to me once I heard it given that alien abduction testimonies and old stories of demonic possession/bewitchment tend to be very parallel in form and content, historically. Todays alien story is yesterdays cautionary fairy tale, that sort of thing.