Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
MTV Scream is a whole thing and I'm not sure, having seen it all, if its good or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RobbZombae posted:

Thanks! Yeah I'm aware, that's why I would like to have seen it.

Perhaps using the term "white saviour" earlier was a bit much. I just thought the context of a black man investigating Cabrini Green worked really well and they did a good job of tying it into his life and story - my last few rewatches of the original Candyman were certainly negatively effected by Virginia Madsen's character featuring so prominently. I guess that is piled on by even more mediocre white women in the sequels (I remember being outraged by the third, actually!).

https://twitter.com/RobbZombae/status/1198730657817645059

The sequels absolutely tarnish the first one.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gaz2k21 posted:

a band anyone who likes horror would have some appreciation for

Gaz2k21 posted:

turned out to be a card carrying Proud Boy who apparently was involved in storming the whitehouse back around the election.

I wish this didn't keep happening

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FoneBone posted:

that's one review - the reception is looking pretty mixed so far https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/halloween_kills

Rotten Tomatoes is a heap of poo poo don't ever go by it

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

I asked a close friend of mine whose a criminal lawyer this question and he had the exact same response. I feel like you could make a similar argument for Jason.

Michael might get an insanity plea in the Rob Zombie editions but I don't think in the Carpenter editions. Freddy doesn't get one at all.

Jason, if you took him seriously, probably would be somewhere on the autism spectrum. Its an interesting way to look at it- his physical deformities as a child and how he was talked about by Pam could swing one way or the other. It'd be an interesting thing to actually explore in a piece of media fully- the closest we had was Jason more or less adopting a child with severe disabilities in that one comic. He's probably the 'best' one to explore that kind of story with, since he's the easiest one to make heroic of the slasher pantheon.

Jason is the easiest to play as an anti hero type of character, a victim who has grown strong enough to fight back kind of deal. You'd need to be careful but I think you could do something really cool with that. The main thing is, I don't think Jason would count for an insanity plea. He knows right from wrong, he knows killing people is bad, but he does it anyways for his own reasons. Being on the spectrum wouldn't affect that, as Jason would be considered high functioning given how intelligent he is and his morality driven choices- arguably his killing sprees are DUE to that morality. Though this breaks down once you get zombie Jason but you know.

Leatherface is interesting. His case extremely depends on what version you're dealing with, because some of them absolutely do not count for the insanity plea, while others you could make an argument for. TCM 2 Leatherface, probably could get one. He seems to be a genuine case of his family being a corruptive force. Remake Leatherface is a bit more ambiguous. Born with a disability, but nothing says that he was mentally impaired by it. His family is a force, but he also makes a lot of his own choices. It helps he lacks the eccentricities of the original.

But the later one that has him all handsome and normal? That gently caress goes straight to jail.

Michael on the flip side- none of them would get an insanity plea after childhood. The moment they make a concerted effort to escape confinement to harm more people, that goes out the window, regardless of the version. Its frankly ridiculous that 2018 Michael didn't get put in jail

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Retro Futurist posted:

Jason's died a few times so there's got to be some kind of double jeopardy at play there

Considering they kept executing him in X I don't think they give a poo poo after his body count reached the triple digits

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Malignant was great

I wish the kills got more focus but it's just a great ridiculous film.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

an owls casket posted:

Yeah-- i started watching it earlier, and the bad dialog put me off, but went back to it later after you all started talking about how wild it gets, and I'm glad I did. I wasn't expecting the title of the movie to be so literal, I just assumed it was another case of someone picking an ominous sounding word.

The bad dialogue is 100000000000000% part of the fun and entirely intentional

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also it really depends on how much you love some 80 sleaze cinema

It never quite reaches them, but goddamn is it a great homage to see

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

I have so little familiarity with the genre but it reminded me of phenomena with its insanity and it’s villain

Malignant is SUCH a remix/remake of Basketcase it's hilarious

It's like that but reimagined as a giallo I love it

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

im watching Castle of the Creeping Flesh and let me tell you there is literally nothing worse than a Michel Lemoine rape scene

dubious honor that

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FreudianSlippers posted:

Question:
Will the Fear Street films be allowed for the Halloween challenge this year.

I don't see why not?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh I think the bad acting actually added to the vibe of malignant lol, and I didn't think the first 90 minutes were all that generic. it was front to back a little weird until it gets real weird. At least weird enough that I never found it dull. There's a bunch of cliches in there but it's all firing off like a machine gun.

I haven't seen the aforementioned movie it's apparently ripping off, but I kind of figured out what was going on anyways. Still didn't matter. The reveal was so good that it's one for the history books.

Need to make this clear, I never said ripping off.

It's absolutely a remix-reimagining, but there's enough unique stuff in it that I wouldn't ever call it that. Plus, its a whole other genre from That Movie

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

King Vidiot posted:

I'm just wondering if they really believed the audience would be stupid enough to think it was an "imaginary friend" or if that was just there as a way for we the audience to be one step ahead of the police. I mean I'm leaning towards the latter but... I mean you can never underestimate the stupidity of the average person. I mean yeah, that chase scene where The Backwards Man is bounding down the fire escape was one thing, but the moment where the movie really went all-in with the insanity was the jail cell straight through to the end of the movie.

That was quite a ride... and then just for the hell of it I followed it up with Saw II since I had planned to fill in my gaps in the Saw franchise this Spooky Season. Appropriate that we get a weird new Wan movie while I'm catching up on the horrible franchise that he spawned.

I think the idea was that you'd think her twin was more developed than he was and so when they 'removed' him, he survived and developed independently. Which is why there was that 'scare' moment at the hospital when we knew he wasn't there.

I THINK

dorium posted:

Malignant was great. Two things. I don’t think there’s any other director besides Leigh Whannel or James Wan that could get away with this premise and not end up with a complete mess on their hands and second though it is I hope this doesn’t turn into a sequel ridden franchise. This is a one and done great word of mouth flick that would be a shame to drown it in lesser sequels. I only bring up the sequel thing because that’s what happens to Wan’s stuff. I fully expect a sequel just because that’s a part of his pedigree. It shouldnt happen, but it will regardless.

If there's a sequel it needs to be a buddy cop action drama where they team up to fight crime

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pospysyl posted:

The most galaxy-brained take I've seen on Malignant is that it's transphobic.

That's a hell of a jog

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

moths posted:

You see Gabriel's silhouette watching TV, he presumably parkours off in the split second it takes Derek's to eyes adjust.

If they franchise this, and they probably will, I feel like the two detectives will fill in as a less problematic version of the Warrens with the spooky hospital records room as the plot dispenser. (Spoilered because speculation reveals that they survive)
I want them to come back for every new event, only to get their poo poo completely wrecked and not accomplish anything just like in this movie

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I legit thought that Gabe was manifesting himself psychically for a hot minute. I knew he was still in her head, but it wasn't until I noticed he was moving backwards around the second kill that I caught on that he was taking control of her body.

But honestly a lot of that I chalk up to being a nod to Giallo roots. Not a lot of poo poo needs to make sense, it just needs to be aesthetic. Like rando 70s Blaxploitation chick in the prison

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Need to remind everyone that this happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbUVVxoCkBE

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

She can still pull off that dress huh

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Finally watching Mandy

This is the best Jason Voorhees movie in the last decade

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

You mean Hellraiser. No idea where you got jason from lmao

No I mean Jason Voorhees.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah I don’t know how you got this. It’s way more Hellraiser. Nic cage doesnt resemble Jason at all lol.

Violent axe swinging vengeance seeker who primarily uses melee weapons and cross bows who lives at Crystal Lake?

The Bikers are Cenobites, but Cage is Jason

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dorium posted:

What happened to that food

The 1970s

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

He died right before Halloween too, in case you need another reason to celebrate him during spooky season.

He made a ton of horror flicks, narrated Michael Jackson's Thriller, then died the week of Halloween. He really was the ultimate avatar of all things Spooky.

He may never have been in a Hammer Horror picture, but his legacy stretches back through Universal and into the new era and he might as well be an Honorary Hammer Horror star as well considering how tight he was with Lee and Cushing

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

One, this is about as surprising to learn as water being wet

Two, this is still really cool

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also something I learned, Vincent Price taught her how to cook fish in a dishwasher

I really wonder if that one came up in any of his books

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

moths posted:

I thought she'd died for a moment, too. Glad it's happy news!

Even better, it came up on Johnny Carson.

I love that man

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Good the Bad and the Ugly is a three hour movie and it earns every goddamn second

The length of something does not determine quality. and this has rapidly become a dick joke I realize but still

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Texas Chainsaw 2 is a perfect example honestly

its so tonally out of synch with the original and the entire story is bugnuts that you could easily watch it first

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any other actor who played both the 'hero' and 'villain' of a movie as often and as well as Vincent Price?

I swear half of his movies have him playing both roles, often shouting at himself. Literally and figuratively. He also rarely survives one of his own movies but you know

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Student Bodies is a 1981 horror comedy that's

Very interesting. It's a Mel Brooks-style (I'd say Airplane but it predates it) riff on the horror genre as it stood- a weird mismash of Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Black Christmas

It's not an all time great movie, its very dated in a lot of respects, but its worth watching I think. In this case, dated means more that the style of comedy can feel archaic, beats and jokes go on for too long or don't quite hit the mark and some of the jokes are obtuse to the point where you're not sure if they're references or the movie's own invention. There are a few jokes that haven't aged well, there always are, and I kind of get the feeling that the people who made it did not like the genre very much

But its got some good stuff to it and its a fascinating view into this early section of 80s horror

moving this over here where it belongs

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also, Are You Afraid of the Dark was brought up recently

There have been two new seasons, of sorts, in the last few years. One from 2019 and one from this year. The one from 2019 was a three episode deal that was very, very poor, in my opinion. You could effectively skip the entire first episode and miss nothing, and most of the second if I'm being honest. All of the story is in the third episode and its not a good story either. The villain is worthless, the characters aren't great- even grading on a generous YA scale, it falls flat. The best thing about it is the production and the fact that the actors, at least, seem good

It put me off giving the new one a chance, but, two episodes into this six episode mini series, its actually incredibly better. Its completely stand alone compared to the last one, and while its still aggressively YA, its got some good stuff in it. If you want to see competent horror aimed at kids, this isn't a bad show at all. SO far at least. It could poo poo the bed

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Franchescanado posted:

Is the new mini-series on Paramount Plus? They have the first run of the original (5 seasons), and the 3 part mini-series, for sure. Did I miss the new one?

So this is the weird thing- episode 1 you can find on their youtube page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NqHTbjdlO8&t=38s

But I cannot for the life of me figure out where you're supposed to legally watch it outside of buying a DVD(??) release. It having a DVD release isn't surprising, but the fact that it doesn't also come on bluray is, because one of the nice things about the show are the visuals.

The first episode does a decent job establishing things, for note, but its the second that made me go 'okay, yeah, I feel good about recommending this now'. But...yeah its weird. I'm not sure where you find this if you didn't DVR it or what not.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Four of the Universal monster films are getting UHD releases next month too, I'll be interested to read some reviews to see what people think of them. The existing blu rays are drat good, so it's not necessarily a no-brainer that the UHDs will be a substantial upgrade.

Considering the earliest of them, I'm not sure what UHD could even add being honest

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Argue posted:

I watched both seasons and they're both pretty disappointing, just the Midnight Society fighting a single supernatural thing, definitely trying to go for a Stranger Things vibe rather than any kind of horror. I admit I was amused in the second season when they became like a ghostbusting Avengers team, where they each wielded a different light-emitting weapon, like the girl with xmas lights wrapped around her fists or the guy using a ring light as a shield. Also it was neat to see the reveal that Sardo was the son of the OG Sardo, who cameos in the last ep

That is one big thing- these are not anthology horror, though I think I mentioned that. I really would have preferred for them to be, but I understand why they're not. Judging them for what they are, at the very least the second one is a lot more coherent and fun so far with a much better main threat. There's some ridiculousness and some things that could be genuinely scary for the intended audience. In a weird way I think I prefer this to Stranger Things, because this is a genuine piece of YA horror while Stranger Things is...not.

Stranger Things isn't YA, and it isn't adult. It's this weird mismash that doesn't fit in either categories and has some of the worst compromises of both. So I like this for being more honest about what it is and what its aiming for, if nothing else

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

King Vidiot posted:

Rawhead Rex is basically a distant cousin of Theodore Rex, right?

Less sexuality

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sono posted:

Is Student Bodies the spoof that starts with a title card along the lines of "This movie is based on a true story: Horror movies make a lot of money."?

Yes

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The second episode of the new season of CreepShow is uh

A thing

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Casimir Radon posted:

It’s me. I don’t care for Body Horror.

That's not the same as calling something transphobic or braindead though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DeimosRising posted:

A huge number of “x is transphobic/homophobic/racist/misogynist/etc” complaints come down to “a character that fits or kinda fits these identity categories does a bad thing”. Art literacy and moral nuance are not popular online

Its this