Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES
AND BURN THROUGH THE WITCHES

Part 8 > All other parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Lurdiak posted:

I'm glad we didn't even get to page 3 before someone was a huge rear end in a top hat to me. Keeping the spirit of the horror thread alive.

All that has to happen now is Jedit taking another tired and passive-aggressive jab at me and it'll be just like the old one!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Basebf555 posted:

It's a new thread and a fresh start. Nobody remembers what you were before, now you're Evil Bong guy.

mods evil bong avatar plz

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

sorry for doublepost but i crowdfunded 31 bc im a huge fan of RZ as a musician and filmmaker but the MPAA just tore that movie to shreds

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

i will watch any movie that has Rob Wells and Sasha Grey

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

hey i dont see evil bong in the staff picks wtf fran

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

LMAO at the posers itt who dont think the Santa episode is the best tales from the crypt one

id also accept the one with bill paxton and brad dourif

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Question: are there any holiday or Christmas themed giallos? Or something close enough?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Bluedeanie posted:

Hereditary was a masterpiece and I will never watch it ever again.

Yeah that about sums up this movie for me too. Really well made film. Hit hard as gently caress. I loved how it was unique, it was a really original script and the movie was perfectly cast.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Not sure I'd call Black Christmas a giallo but I could see how it could scratch the itch. I haven't seen Deep Red tho I've been meaning to forever so I'm definitely gonna watch that one! Thanks everyone!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Eh I've seen Pan's Labyrinth and it's definitely a pretty loving heavy movie. It's actually probably one of my lesser-favorite Guillermo movies, and I say that as a MASSIVE Del Toro fan. It's still great I just think a lot of his other stuff is better, with the Shape of Water being his magnum opus (so far!)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Halloween Jack posted:

It's not a giallo per se, but it's what you'd call a proto-slasher, and "scratches the itch" is exactly how I'd put it.

Yeah exactly. I definitely need to re-watch it. I like the re-make a lot too, I don't know which one I like more. They're both fantastic even if the remake is weird as hell it has its charm.

Franchescanado posted:

I actually think Pan's Labyrinth is still his magnum opus, with Shape of Water being 2nd best.

It's a heavy movie, but I don't feel bad about a little girl in a horrible living situation during a terrible war getting to go to heaven where she's princess of her own fantasy world. That's a happy ending in my book.

Same with Jacob's Ladder.

I think that's more true with regards to the latter movie you mentioned. I mean it is tragic what Jacob went through in Vietnam, but at the end you get the feeling he is genuinely going to heaven or at least a happy "hereafter" with his son, whereas in Pam's Labyrinth there's always that question (to me at least) of whether the fantasy parts are real or whether they are just a little girl's way of coping with massive trauma They're both bittersweet and feature themes of tragedy and redemption, and both excellent movies.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 13, 2018

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Alhazred posted:

stay for the man licking blood from the public bathroom floor

Don't doxx me bro

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Hollismason posted:

the best Tales from the Crypt episode is Cutting Cards featuring Lance Henriksen and Kevin Tighe.

Goodness, no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

as someone with motion sickness who can't watch many FF movies gently caress you guys and your cool ideas

EDIT: If anyone has a cure for people who get dizzy/sick/can't focus on the screen during FF movies please tell me bc there's a lot i wanna see so bad

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 14, 2018

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Timeless Appeal posted:

Counter point: "Horror" is pretty "great"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Hollismason posted:

Not ranking Gremlins as the number one Christmas horror movie should be punishable by imprisonment.

NOT LMAO-ING AT THE NON-POSER ITT WITH THE CORRECT OPINION

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

david_a posted:

Goddamn Mimic is not good. I had forgotten how much it borrowed from Aliens as far as the bugs go. About the only enjoyment I got out of it was picking out all the samples Front Line Assembly used.

Anybody sit through the sequels?

You're wrong because mimic kicks rear end and is dope as gently caress. LMAO-ing at this poser.

You can definitely skip the sequels though, especially if you didn't like the first one.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

that scene is arguably the single freakiest moment in horror its NUTS, so well-done

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

is there no way to see the unrated cut of house that jack built? i can only find the rated R version

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

imagine being chased by a sexy vampire in a gothic romance only to have him suck the blood out of your foot with his tongue probiscus

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Basebf555 posted:

Did Kvit! ever watch The House That Jack Built? I want to hear their thoughts.

Watched half of it but then had to go to bed because of exams in the morning. I'm going to finish it tonight and I'll be sure to post my thoughts, I'm interested in hearing yours as well!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

My thoughts on The House That Jack Built. Personally, I loved it. I think it's the best horror movie of the year, possibly the best movie of the year (tied with At Eternity's Gate) and by far Von Trier's greatest work. I'm just going to spoiler everything:

I loved the parallel between Dante and Jack: with Jack acting as a reverse Dante who is guided by Virgil deep into hell rather than through hell and up into heaven. I think others are right that the movie is ultimately about hollow-ness. I think Jack is a character who always felt hollow and tries to get some satisfaction from depravity, but is just as unsatisfied by his acts as a serial killer as he is by his normal life. He is a man who can't connect with the world whether he is building a house or murdering people, but makes up this idea of his murdering as an "art form" to justify his existence. If he can't connect to the real world, maybe he can connect to the antithesis of everything the real world thinks of as good. I think the deeper he gets into the murdering, and starts to become less and less careful about getting caught, he realizes that his actions as a killer are just as hollow as his actions as an architect: he gains absolutely nothing from them. His idea of "Mr. Sophistication" being this artist whose work nobody understands and is beyond the comprehension of normal artists, or what normal artists consider good and just, is him desperately trying to validate that he has SOMETHING in the world which fills up his hollowness, when the truth is he has nothing at all. He's completely empty. Even when he builds his house completely out of corpses, the perfect material according to him, he is completely unsatisfied. It is only when he reaches Elysium that he realizes he was wrong about his work, that Virgil was right about him and his emptiness: that's why he tries to go directly to God at the end but fails, it is a desperate attempt to validate his work, but he fails because his work is ultimately like Jack himself: empty, meaningless, depraved, and useless.

What I really found interesting is how at the end Virgil says to Jack that he isn't supposed to go to the lowest circle of hell, but one higher up (presumably the seventh circle of hell, for punishing those who commit violence) but at the end Jack falls into the lowest point of hell: reserved for those who commit treachery. I couldn't quite gleam who exactly Jack betrayed, I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on it.

I also think that Jack is supposed to represent Von Trier himself: you see how Von Trier directly adresses his Nazi comments and previous works. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this is his final film.

I loved how the movie had a lot of pitch-black humor and weird shifts in tone. The use of Bowie's "fame" was really perfect and bizarre. Matt Dillon played the emptiest character I have ever seen: there was absolutely nothing behind those eyes. It was the perfect choice for the role and one of Dillon's best performances.

As with most movies, I think the violence is over-hyped. The most disturbing part of the movie is by far the footage of real-life violence and atrocities, other than that it is nothing one wouldn't expect from Von Trier (though to be fair, I saw the rated R cut, not the unrated edition).

Overall, fantastic movie. I'm really interested in everyone else's thoughts on it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Im 99% sure Lars Von Trier, Gaspar Noe, and Harmony Korine are the same person

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Pomp posted:

is "nick cage is incredible in Vampire's Kiss" a hot take

asking sincerely

Not at all it's a genuinely brilliant performance.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

FreudianSlippers posted:

I really liked the new Suspiria.

it is good.

Thom Yorke was so good as the dance instructor.

Ive used this joke before but seriously how has nobody acknowledged that Tilda Swinton and Thom Yorke are the same person.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

i dont know what that symbol means

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Neo Rasa posted:

The "ironicat," in this case due to how in the Suspiria remake Tilda Swinton plays multiple characters.

dude i watched the remake and i didnt even realize that

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Basebf555 posted:

That's a really cool insight into Jack's character and his experience as a completely empty shell of a person. He sets out to be the most horrible person he can possibly be, as an attempt to find some sort of purpose that will fill the void. And even after he completes what he considers his life's work he's told that he hasn't fully achieved everything he wanted to because in order to do that he would've had to actually form meaningful relationships. He learns that you can't be a Ultimate Evil Superstar without being able to connect with people at least a little bit, and he just can't on any level. And so he is an utter failure.

The movie really is pretty funny the more you think about it.

I completely agree with everything here. I think that's really true, especially when you consider his "journey" at the end and the fact that all the philosophical talk happens he's still just a massive failure at EVERYTHING is hilarious.

Also the smiling boy was so darkly hilarious, just his expression had me cracking up.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Franchescanado posted:

Just a friendly reminder to avoid watching Red Christmas, a bizarrely hateful horror 'comedy' with a bold conservative pro-life message.

edit: Bold as in blatant, not brave.

yeah this movie loving sucked BAD. Im always desperate for holiday horror but not only did this movie have a really hateful lovely message it was also just a loving terrible movie.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

ZearothK posted:

So, our crew is doing a horror marathon for Christmas and New Year's Eve, not a themed one however. I actually haven't watched Horror movies in a loooong time, so recommend me some good ones from the last ten years. I am down for anything that doesn't involve animal cruelty.

August Underground Trilogy

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

you just dont understand the avant-garde

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

its me im hollismasons best friend

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

fun bad especially the evil bong crossover

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

OldTennisCourt posted:

Are all the hatchet movies as mean spirited and awful as Victor Crowley?

yeah theyre all the same

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

OldTennisCourt posted:

I like slasher and gore but Victor Crowly has two dudes get murdered super quick and then a woman has her fingers chopped off, thrown spread eagle in a dress on the ground, her arm and leg brutally sawed off and then her faces smashed into the mud and her head cut off.

LMAO at the poser itt whos never seen a Fulci or HGL movie

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

King Vidiot posted:

Art the clown is pretty memorable, shame that Terrifier sucked so hard.

Yeah he was a great villain in a really lovely movie. Impressive to come up with a genuinely creepy clown in the age of Pennywise imitators. Shame about the rest of the movie.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

who the gently caress watches terrifier expecting plot or characters or anything other than an sfx showcase? that's like watching august underground for the cinematography

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

well that's fair

i've said it before and I've said it again: terrifier sucked because it had blood as this viscous pitch-black syrup. unless they live an an alternative world where humans have motor oil for blood it just wasn't even semi-realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

oh yeah the burning moon is an sfx classic but you described it spot on it basically is a director throwing gallons of guts around a set