Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Velvet Buzzsaw is kind of a lesser giallo movie. It's got some good kills and some good acting moments (Toni Colette and Jake Gyllenhaal have some great chemistry), but overall it's just decent. It doesn't have any particularly insightful social criticism, but I think that's for the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Biomute posted:

What do they mean, once every 90 years, we do this every year.

They do it every year, but it only actually works once every 90 years.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The new Child's Play should either have been its own thing or actually been in continuity with the others. Dourif!Chucky uploading his consciousness into the internet of things could have been really cool, and plain old internet of things horror movie could have been fun schlock. Splitting the difference like this just seems lame.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Blackcoat's Daughter is similar to Hereditary in that people take them very seriously even though they are super goofy. BD girl was scared of a loving jacket. Of the two, I'd say that Blackcoat's Daughter is better.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The Perfection was rad! The cool thing about it is that at any particular point in the film it can unfold in a dozen different predictable ways, so it ends up being genuinely surprising, even though if you just explained the plot it would be kind of bland. Definitely go in blind!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Folks, I saw Verotika, AMA

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

How much were people actually laughing?

A good amount, but only two of the segments were actually funny. The first two would make for great bad movie night material, but the last is a major slog.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

You know, if Danzig just got a bit of formal training and let someone else edit his movies, he could be a half decent filmmaker.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

The new Lucky McKee, Kindred Spirits, isn't really much of anything besides a pretty good performance from Caitlin Stasey. Most everything else isn't given much time and I'm not quite sure what Macon Blair was doing in this. It just all seems very...thin? for a McKee and kinda seems like it was adapted from one of those teen horror books by Christopher Pike or RL Stine. It's fine I guess but might be his worst movie yet, depending on how much you like All Cheerleaders Die.

I actually think the core three stars all did a great job, but you're right that it has the substance of a TV movie. It's basically one of those recent self aware Lifetime movies

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The standard class conflict reading for Us doesn't work since apparently the evil scientists provided for the Tethered's every material need. Read literally, this would be the most audacious welfare program in American history. Read metaphorically, it suggests that attending to material concerns can never address a spiritual lack. The Tethered lack souls, so even though they can pantomime human culture they are inherently incapable of acting morally, even with the leadership of an innocent, an inherently anti-Marxist message.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

That's an, um, interesting take on "providing for every material need."

Sure there's no education system or health care, but you have all the rabbits you can eat (raw).

The Tethered are as healthy and live for exactly as long as their counterparts, so what do they need health care for? As for education, they can operate heavy machinery and make Thriller t-shirts, so they must acquire skills and knowledge from somewhere.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Petr posted:

I've never seen The VVitch, but I kind of have a policy of not seeing movies where they kill the dog. Usually, this results only in me not seeing bad movies, because it's almost always just a bad writing crutch, but the two movies I regret missing out on because of it are The VVitch and Babadook.

The way they kill the dog in The Babadook is actually very clever on a structural level. Any genre savvy person knows that dog ain't gonna make it through the movie, so in the book scene they let you know that when the dog dies, poo poo's getting real. That way it's like Hitchcock's line about showing you the bomb under the dinner table. Waiting for the dog to die becomes suspenseful rather than a given.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

On The Witch: The point of the movie, to me, is that it's a depiction of what it would be like if all the folk knowledge of the Puritans was true and there really were witches in the woods that would kill you and your whole family. Essentially, The Witch is a story the Puritans would tell each other to try to shame young women into behaving properly because they genuinely believed that if they didn't, they would turn into witches and kill everyone. The ending might be unsettling, but all you need to do to dismiss it is to recognize that the Puritans were wrong. There are no such things as witches and they were wrong to do all the horrible stuff they did to women.

It's for that reason that I think that despite all the fantastical stuff that happens in The Witch it's ultimately more grounded than any other folk horror movie, which tend to focus on how outlandishly pagan cult practices clash with the modern day.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Off Topic: We've gone over best and worst of the decade in terms of full movies, but what is everyone's favorite moments/scares of the decade?

For me the first big jump scare of Insidious with the Darth Maul demon scared the gently caress out of me and is one of the best constructed jump scares of all time in my opinion.

When the Babadook crawls into Amelia's mouth when she's sleeping. Gross!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The thing I like most about Trash Humpers is that The eponymous humpers feel more like supernatural forces than individual people. You can't really understand them, they're purely devoted to chaos. They're modern instantiations of the witches from Macbeth.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

My parents basically handled it like booze. "Don't drink... but you know, if you do don't be a stupid rear end in a top hat." At least that's how I interpreted it. So they weren't showing me slashers or anything but they also weren't analyzing my video rentals after a time because they trusted me.

Howard the Duck, Labyrinth, and that beast thing from the Never Ending Story scared the living poo poo out of me before that.

It's an incredibly effective jump scare. I saw it when I was like five with my little sister and when it happened we both ran upstairs screaming, it was great.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 9, 2020

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I liked The Lodge a lot! The desolation and the loneliness of the setting are captured very well, and I thought the performances of the three main actors were engaging and complex. It's less gruesome or psychological than Hello, Mommy was, but it has the same moral scrutiny of the relationship between children and their parents. It's more of a thriller than a horror movie in that the physical threat of their situation is deemphasized in favor of focusing on the increasing interpersonal tension.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 10, 2020

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Grace spent all that time in the fundie church and never learned that adultery is a sin. :v:

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Blackcoat's Daughter is fairly dull, but the trio of actresses are all very good and it's worth seeing for that reason alone.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

The dad is also to blame because he asked the kids if they were ok being left alone with her for a couple of days and they both emphatically told him no. They Did Not Want That. He failed to listen to his children, and ignored their wants because of his own selfish desires.

On top of that, he was super unethical in his relationship with Grace anyway. She was one of the subjects of his book about the cult, and to get involved in a non-professional relationship with someone you’re writing about is morally dark grey.

My view on The Lodge is that the dad is the real villain of the story, if only because he represents the main antagonistic theme of the movie: patriarchy and the nuclear family. What the dad wants is a stable nuclear family. Old mom dies, so he wants to slot in a new mom so that mommy, daddy, and children can all live together under one roof in happy harmony. That belief in the nuclear family, though, is proved to be irrational because actual individual people’s emotional internality is far too complex to be well served by these simplistic roles. Both Laura and Grace are driven to madness by their guilt at failing to live up to their gender roles, Laura failing to be pleasing to her husband and Grace failing to be sufficiently nurturing to her future stepchildren and dissolving Richard’s earlier marriage. Grace in particular believes in patriarchy to a literal spiritual level, her cult’s religious beliefs defining patriarchy as all-encompassing.

The kids, however, reject patriarchy and the need for the nuclear family. They simply do not respect what their dad wants, see no need to replace their mother like a defective part, and refuse to honor their filial duties and chores. I think that makes them the most sympathetic characters, but they’re not perfect either. They take out their anti-authoritarianism on Grace, someone who is herself a victim of patriarchy. Their misplaced contempt for her as a symbol of enforced patriarchy only exacerbates her illness. I think this is meant to be a criticism of the tendency to blame problems originating from the patriarchal nuclear family structure on “bad mothers.” In the children’s eyes, Grace is the “bad mom” who fails to live up to Laura the “good mom”, but in reality she’s not a mom at all, just a person.

The lodge itself is a visual symbol of the nuclear family. Dad leaves the lodge to go to work and leaves “mom” to take care of the children. All the characters attribute a certain emotional power to the house. Richard thinks that just leaving the family there will bind them together and resolve all of their conflicts somehow. Grace agrees with this, finding the lodge cozy at first, only to later conclude that the house exists to spiritually condemn her. The kids view the lodge more pragmatically. They value it as a place that contains precious memories of their beloved mother, but they also recognize it as a physical space that can be used to torment Grace. This view is closer to the truth. The lodge is presented as completely desolate, the tedious decorations Grace insists on putting up only going so far in making it livable. On a turn, it can go from simply uninviting to actively dangerous, hostile to daily living. Any attachment the characters bring to it is illusory. The house, and the family unit, can’t be redeemed.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/jeremysmiles/status/1231679470882435072

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I haven't seen the Sonic movie, but I do think it was inspired to have the story revolve around Sonic's various secretions.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Candyman 2020 is a sequel, right? Vanessa Williams is in this trailer and I can only assume she's playing the same character.

edit:
Custom MLPs are the poo poo.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If it has Michael Shannon in it, it's the right one.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The way I would have ended The Invisible Man is do the twist with the brother, but don't have the cops find the actual boyfriend. Cecille would still be paranoid, because after all if there was one invisible man there's no reason there can't be two. Eventually, have her come back to the house to pick up the second suit, only to find that it's gone. If that's too much of a downer ending, you could have one more fight scene in the techno house and have Cecille finally kill her rear end in a top hat boyfriend.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 3, 2020

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

fart simpson posted:

i couldn’t watch the degloving in geralds game. that’s about it.

Yeah, anything with skin removal for me.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

Just finished Michael Shannon's Bug and while appreciate the lack of bugs, I am a bit chuffed that he played Peter on Broadway for two years because that absolutely feels like cheating as an actor

More than that, he was the first person to ever play the role when the play debuted in Chicago.

edit: Double checking Wikipedia, the play debuted in London, but there were public rehearsals in Chicago. Regardless, it was still Shannon.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 8, 2020

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I'm sure all of you know exactly which review this is from too.

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1317150207663099908?s=19

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If I was in charge of recruiting possessor-assassins and the only way they could get out of a host is suicide, I would make it priority one to make sure recruits could actually kill themselves.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

Good luck confirming that beforehand...

Touché.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

Possessor chat: Does anyone else find it really funny that Sean Bean - who infamously dies in every movie - survives one of the most brutal attacks imaginable? I assume Cronenberg is poking fun at that a bit, since the scene where it's revealed that Bean survived seems somewhat superfluous.

Sean Bean refuses to do any movies where he dies anymore. Cronenberg was contractually obligated to keep him alive.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I do wonder how much of the power of his films is him and how much is just good casting. Like Toni Collette was great well before anyone knew Ari Aster's name.

I think the actors in his movies do a lot of work to fill in the bare bones characterization in his scripts. It took a great actor in Toni Collette to make the speech were she explains everything that happened in the missing reel work. Likewise, Florence Pugh's character in Midsommar has only one character trait (she has abandonment issues!), but Pugh's able to draw that out into an actual person.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

What I appreciate about Black Christmas is the way it mixes those realistic creep calls with the fanciful Christmas-themed killings. It makes the whole scenario much more surreal in an unpleasant way, which makes the ending really land. The movie makes it seem plausible that the killer will be able to hang out in the house forever, killing people every year, even though that's completely unrealistic. Halloween never feels grounded in the same way, so its departures from normalcy aren't as jarring.

Black Christmas also has those compelling subplots with Kidder's alcoholism and Hussey's relationship problems that serve to complicate the slasher plot beyond the point A to kill B formula.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

indiscriminately posted:

Last night we watched the 2018 Suspiria which I really enjoyed, was fully engrossed. I have a few questions:

3. The demon thing blows up the heads of the witches who didn't vote Blanc, suggesting she is favored by Mother Suspiriorum, but Madame Blanc is left to languish nearly decapitated? Why not healed, as that's plausibly within the power of the witches? I guess this doesn't really matter

Haven't seen the remake in a while, but given that the whole thing is about the aftermath of the Holocaust it could be making a point that even though the German people have varying amounts of culpability for the Holocaust, ultimately everyone shares some base level of national guilt. It's been argued that the lack of collective justice to absolve national guilt during the Vergangenheitsbewältigung period resulted in mass disaffectation among the immediate subsequent German generation. This disaffected generation would produce the real-life Red Army Faction whose terrorist activities occur throughout the background of the movie (and if I remember correctly drive a surprising amount of the plot). Susie destroying the elder witches mirrors the intergenerational violence of the RAF and the circumstances that allowed the RAF to be formed in the first place. Everyone has contributed to Mother Suspiriorum's creation and so everyone must suffer.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Night of the Lepus is very fun imo. Those bunnies gently caress people up.

The rabbit effects are genuinely delightful, but I think the pace is just too slow for it to be a truly great so bad it's good movie.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

There should be more movies with Lifetime Original energy that takes a turn into gore.

Lucky McKee's Kindred Spirits was a pretty good one in this genre.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Just saw In the Earth, loved it. It's definitely not as grounded as I assumed based on the marketing and the reviews I skimmed. The antagonists of the movie have very colorful personalities and there's tons of fun horror movie mistakes, like characters wandering off alone in dangerous situations or trusting strangers they shouldn't. The way it's filmed mostly in handheld close-up gives it more of an adventurous tone than an intimate or psychological one. The trip imagery is used very sparingly, but to great effect.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think eventually watch both, but start with the original.

The original is a little sloppier, but I think the fact that you're not likely to really recognize the actors really helps the movie. They just feel like a real family being tormented. I think they is some low budget-ness that also works better in the original. Like the living room scenes in the remake where most of the games happen are well shot with dynamic lighting. But the flatter lighting of the original just makes it feel like you're in this normal living room with the overhead light on.

It's definitely a movie I got more out of the second time and since they're so similar, watch the original and then go to the remake.

It's funny you mention that because nearly all the actors in the movie previously appeared in other movies in the Haneke-verse. It adds to the intertextuality of it.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

dorium posted:

It’s very effective at getting you to question your tastes and your role as the viewer in films. It’s that good kind of questioning because you gotta be introspective every once in awhile to grow. Your tastes, personality, beliefs should be things you question a fair amount in life and Funny Games can get those kinda discussions going. Especially at the point I was at in life when I first saw it (way more of a gore-hound and into shocking material), but the movie while shocking and really a punch in the face more times than not it’s fairly tame in regards to showing the actions that lead to bloodshed. Just a terrific film.

I think "question" is really the right term for it, not just because the characters literally ask the audience questions. Liking horror is something worth being curious about. It's not clear that Haneke gives a strong judgment about whether making horror films or enjoying them is good or bad. After all, Funny Games is itself a horror movie, and Haneke's taken a lot of care to make it one of the best shot and most intense horror movies out there. If he really hated horror movies, he'd have made a bad one.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I still need movie suggestions for the Dead and Buried requirement of the Fran Challenge for May. Horror movies where someone involved passed away in the last year. I'm already aware of Daria Nicolodi from Dario Argento films.

Charles Grodin was in Rosemary's Baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Just saw the horror anthology Scare Us, and it was... basically all right. There are five segments including the framing story. Two segments are quite weak, just okay effects in search of plots. Another two segments, though, are really creative. There's a slasher segment with some clever set pieces in an interesting location and a trippy horror segment with some cool visuals, sharp editing, and a great gory ending. The last segment is also good, basically a very low budget version of Hereditary. If you're into cheap indie horror, this is fine.

Timeless Appeal posted:

That looks really good and I feel like Rebecca Hall lends herself to horror. I feel like it's going to end up being a really good year for horror.

I hope Antlers is released this year, that's the one I've been looking forward to since 2019.