Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
finally saw midnight meat train. kind of liked how it didn't bother to explain anything to you. poo poo just was what it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
what are some must watches for my shudder trial?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Basebf555 posted:

How experienced of a horror viewer are you? There's some pretty essential horror movies on Shudder but I don't know if they'd be too obvious.

I am a horror fan but don't be afraid of listing something too obvious. I've seen the major slashers, TCM, a bunch of stuff lately, but I wouldn't have minded scrolling past suggestions for same.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
are you opining that a movie made in the 70s is better now than it was in 2002

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I watched Rob Zombie Halloween and Deep Red from the recommendations on Shudder posted up thread. they're good movies. deep red in particular has some very striking moments.

didn't care for the twist in haute tension, felt very dishonest, but has some memorable deaths.

speaking of French horror that is unwatchable dubbed, Marianne on Netflix wins for the scariest thing I watched this October. does lots of things really well even though it doesn't do a lot that I'm comfortable calling new.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Timeless Appeal posted:

Not that I'm asking for anyone to prove me wrong here, but I really didn't notice any plot holes in A Quiet Place and every attempt to research it has just left me rolling my eyes. I mean, I know you can have fun doing a We Hate Movies-esque riff on "Why doesn't X do Y?" stuff, but it functions as well as a zombie movie, it's incredibly tense, and does a pretty good job of laying its world in an economic way.

But I also think A Quiet Place is a much better film that Hereditary.

the idea that nobody would think to use really loud sounds on monsters that hear super good is loving preposterous. the movie is well done up til that point. a jillion times better than bird box anyway.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

STAC Goat posted:

But like, that's not actually the resolution of that film? They were beat by a really specific and random radio frequency fumbled upon by dumb luck in a child's hearing aide. That doesn't preclude humans using really loud sounds and it not working.

Am I misremembering the movie?
I think you're right but that makes the movie dumber

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

ruddiger posted:

They hunt by isolating sound and the movie even provides its own plot hole. All the military would have to do is post bases near waterfalls/other naturally loud sounding areas to throw off the creatures.

Not to mention those creatures would be useless during a storm.

oh yeha gently caress I forgot they could have literally just lived by a waterfall oe turned a radio on with a remote or something.

I try not to let a films premise get in the way of itself but that was easier to do ~10 years ago when films didn't feel such an obligation to explain themselves

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm being kind of stupid in your defense. whenever I see an apocalyptic scenario I can't help but think how society could get out of it or move on. apocalyptic horror always feels very impersonal to me, more like a problem to be solved than anything.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
so Mandy was weird. any good sites or articles to explain what on earth just happened on my television? seems like the movie was dense with symbolism, caught a reference to Abraxas. what's with the number 44? were those really demons? did he drive his car into loving hell?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

alf_pogs posted:

the best way to understand Mandy is to get super high and watch it at 2am

that's literally exactly what I did except midnight. i was sure I missed some poo poo but maybe not?

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 1, 2019

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Did anyone else feel that Mandy kind of lost steam after she got set on fire. Instead of following her journey into some intense psychological horror, we instead just got this extended power fantasy with Cage running around with plot armour. That said Ned Dennehy has such dreamy eyes :allears:

yes a little bit. That laughter scene almost lulled me to sleep in a very intense way, was definitely the high point of the movie.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
someone recommended a grain elevator found footage and I honestly couldn't sit through it because it wasn't very good. can anyone who has seen it sell me on why it's good or worth watching

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

ruddiger posted:

Woe to he who has never explored abandoned industrial areas with their hooligan friends and recorded their petty crimes.

I actually have!
old urbex photos https://imgur.com/gallery/w8iA5

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

15/05/11 - Abandoned Grain Elevator is a film about an abandoned grain elevator.

yes that's the one. sure but why would one watch it or recommend others watch it? I think it was you that recommended it actually. i watched the first several minutes and fast forwarded til the end. was there lurking horror somewhere I was missing?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Dogg you queued up a movie called Abandoned Grain Elevator, which is about an abandoned grain elevator, and then skipped all the scenes with the abandoned grain elevator!

another way of looking at it is I was recommended a horror movie and found it to be bereft of horror. if there's plot or spooky poo poo I'll go back and re-watch it.

really just wanted to hear about what other people enjoyed about the work. i skipped like ten minutes total.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 27, 2019

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
event horizon is really REALLY good. can't believe it flopped and got panned. I read the ending not as the ship really becoming sentient but more that they'd let something in through the portal that had taken over the ship.

film has an incredible aesthetic. first shot of the gateway was awesome.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Favorite movies with a creepy and charismatic devil/Satan figure? Along the lines of the Prophecy or Constantine or even Dogma?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
yeah Satan's relatives count for sure, I just want the devil portrayed as a tempter or manipulator more than a pitchfork and horns type of fellow. The Lucifer comic books are some of my favorite media ever. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
advance screening of coos was really fun. it cracks me up how many movies have that exact same lookin kid with the too big glasses.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I really liked color out of space. the escalation of the insanity worked pretty well. i almost wish it had taken place over a longer period of time like the original story. I guess that's tougher to make believable if you're setting it in current year but it feels kind of rushed

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

dorium posted:

did anyone else get an annoying amount of clapping and cheering during Cage's scenes? like i get he's kind of a meme to a lot of people now, but come on. there were some genuinely moving/disturbing scenes being cheered over like it was a football game. I'm talking hooting and hollering and yelling at the screen.

there was a ton of laughing in my theater but hell, the movie was pretty funny. a lot of cages dialogue was hilarious even later on when poo poo had thoroughly hit the fan.

i feel like it was going for similar vibes to Midsommar, an unsettling creepy extremely dark comedy, but did a much more entertaining job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Hollismason posted:

How intense is this film. Like I'm dealing with some stuff. Is it humorous or B movie or is it like real heavy film.

It's not heavy, a lot of the talk about it being a family drama is overwrought I feel. there's a moody daughter and a slacker son but nothing gut wrenching. its hard to really be scared because the villain is what it is, so the movie is just very good spectacle. it's funny without undermining itself or not taking itself seriously. just a really drat good movie.