Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Should I go fish up Pulgasari while we're on the topic of bugnuts Kaiju movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Jedit posted:

The issue I have with the 60-minute rule is that it eliminates nearly all B-movies. A true B-movie, one that was released as a support to a main feature, is almost always less than an hour long.

Not to mention a lot of Horror OVA's

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hollismason posted:

The real question is what's going to be your horror movie horror challenge for this year. Not just watching movies but a challenge you give yourself.

Mine for this year will be " Older than me " . I was born 1979 so no horror past 1979.

Most people do New to Me but that's hard and you'll start watching something and realize halfway through you watched it.

I've never completed the challenge so I'm just going to do the basic challenge of 31 movies minimum

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

M_Sinistrari posted:

I guess my biggest gripe with the superhero films is it seems like the writers barely skim a wiki article when it comes to material. If they actually dug into the source material, there's so much they could roll with for movies. If X-men ever progresses to where they do the Inferno storyline, that's at least two movies there considering the full on demonic possession of New York City. If they ever branch into the other superteams like Alpha Flight (Canada's big superteam), they'd be able to show Northstar who was the first established gay hero who wasn't a stereotype (and first gay marriage in comics) along with several Indigenous superheros.

Instead it's how many times can things get brought back to Avengers. I have some vestige of hope with Morbius opening the possibility of the Midnight Sons (Marvel's grouping for all the horror themed heroes) since they've already done Blade, Ghost Rider, and Dr. Strange, but with all the stuff I'm hearing from the rumor mill about Marvel and Disney I'm just not sure what'll happen.

A proper adaptation of Final Crisis would be amazing in that regard

Also watching a documentary about Action Park right now, and now I'm imagining a horror movie based on the concept, like a modern Troma film in terms of ludicrous gore

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BisonDollah posted:

I trimmed/sorted my Letterboxd lists and now have 30 Horror sub-genres to work with, not having 31 just does not feel right. I have traditionally picked one from each list every October to make my 31 new horror watches. I cut gore, body horror and Kaiju (merged it with monster movies).

CANNIBAL
GIALLO
WEREWOLF
ASIAN-HORROR
ZOMBIE
NATURAL HORROR
REVENGE
HORROR SCI-FI
HORROR-COMEDY
MONSTER MOVIE
MYTH
SLASHER
FOUND FOOTAGE
OCCULT
SERIAL-KILLER
UNIVERSAL-MONSTERS
PSYCHOLOGICAL-HORROR
VAMPIRE
LOVECRAFTIAN
GHOST/HAUNTING
TRASH
POSSESSION
PORTMANTEAU
FAMILY-FRIENDLY HORROR
GOTHIC
HAMMER HORROR
STEPHEN KING
ALIEN ATTACK
SILENT-HORROR
ACTION-HORROR

My Horrorthon 2020 list focuses on Cannibals but is still looking for that 31st subgenre.

Should re-separate Kaiju from Monster Movies, Kaiju movies do enough things distinctly to be a category of their own

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rewatching one of my favorite documentaries "Adjust Your Tracking" and it's just such a fun and passion filled film, also I will always be in awe about the collections some of these guys have(one guy while talking about how he labels his collection mentions one label as being "Full Moon Worth Buying" which got a chuckle out of me, also another guy turned his entire basement into a full size fake video store, complete with a checkout stand)

About the only complaint I do have is that ironically I feel it focused a little too much on the collectors who focus primarily on Horror films, would have been nice to have one or two guys be talked to who collect other esoteric genres(like those who collect those cheap tapes full of public domain movies and cartoons), but it's understandable that they did since that's where the bulk of the VHS Collector's market and fandom is these days

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I need suggestions for movies 1979 and older. Any suggestions are appreciated.

For some more off the beaten track films I'd recommend The Phantom of The Paradise, and The Town That Dreaded Sundown

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Irony.or.Death posted:

I just watched House for the first time since I was a child, and as much as I enjoyed it I am sad that it apparently used up every idea in the haunted house genre so that there were none left for movies made after the 1980s. What the gently caress happened that rendered all modern ghost stories so loving boring?

Pop Culture got obsessed with "realism" and we still haven't shaken that off

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The Stone Tape is also very good, written by Nigel Kneale of the Quatermass movies and thematically pretty similar, if kind of understated thanks to a 70s bbc budget.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stone_Tape

I keep meaning to watch that one(and that one mockumentary about Ghosts that BBC did in the 90s)

Also in relation to the Mummy talk, I'm kinda surprised no one's done one that crosses over into Ancient Aliens territory, closest thing to that I can think of is Moontrap and that only in a very loose way(also reminds me that I should give Moontrap a rewatch as part of the challenge this year)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So maybe you guys can help me find out what this movie I saw a chunk of when I was like 9 that have me some minor trauma, from what I can remember the basic idea was that aliens(that happened to look exactly like humans) had made contact with humanity and in exchange for some of their technology, they needed some help from humanity, they were suffering from some disease and had figured out how to generate a cure using humans, however the process always kills the Human used in a very messy way(they show us that happening to some poor schmuck and then cut to show the process being done to hundreds or even thousands of other people) so they're trying to find a human who won't die from it so they aren't limited in their production of the cure, most countries on Earth are giving the aliens their criminals, the US is doing it by lottery instead, and the main character goes on the run when they get selected

It's possible I'm getting a lot of details wrong admittedly as it's been like 20 years since I saw this movie

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Was it a Sci-Fi Channel original movie? The lottery part sounds extremely familiar to me as part of a made-for-cable 90s movie.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was on Sci-fi Channel where I saw it, and it definitely felt low budget enough to be a made for tv movie

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Not an exact match, but this seems a lot like the miniseries “V”.

Definitely has a similar vibe

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Was this it? It seems way too recent—I was remembering something that looked more like it was made 1995-2000, but the plot matches: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Siege

I could have sworn it was older but yeah that seems to be the one

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

I got one paragraph into the plot synopsis and am definitely watching it

Let me know if it's as gruesome as teen me remembers it being*

*like at least the way my memory depicts it as basically only being outdone in grossness by some of the schlockiest anime gorn I've had the displeasure of seeing over the years(for some reason animated gore bothers me way more than "real" gore)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Bert of the Forest posted:

I mean, the so-called classics can definitely be a chore to watch so I can't say I blame any horror fan who hasn't the willpower to sit through Frankenstein or Dracula. I gave it a shot when I first got into horror because it seemed like something ya just "had" to do, and yeah it felt like an absolute chore compared to the films that actually got me into the genre, they're like a whole different kind of film.

Agreed, Frankenstein was a chore to watch(though it's possible I just wasn't in the right mood for it), Bride of Frankenstein was great though

dorium posted:

I still stand by that Young Frankenstein is the more purest of Frankenstein movies.

:colbert:

Very true

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So are there any non Kaiju horror films from Japan that A) don't rely on Jump Scares for most of the horror*, or B) have an actual happy ending(cause as far as I can tell J Horror seems to be near universally bad endings, and I hate those, especially in a horror context^)

*not only are Jump Scares the cheapest and laziest way to get scares, they're also something that I do not handle well at all as I have anxiety and paranoia issues that they most definitely set off

^what can I say, I find the real world a depressing enough place without happy endings as it is, I don't need that kind of thing in my fiction as well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean... what counts as a happy ending? Like in Audition the villain is stopped, but it's obviously hard to label that as a happy movie.

Well it doesn't have to be outright happy, like a bittersweet ending can be good when done right(the original Terminator is probably the classic example of this)

Alhazred posted:

Ringu has a happy ending for some but a very bad ending for others

Yeah I'm not going anywhere near either that or Ju-On as franchises, both because of their reliance on Jump Scares generally, and also cause of legitimate lingering trauma relating to Ringu(or rather The Ring) I've had since I was 12(like I was legitimately terrified of my VCR for the year between that and Scary Movie 3* killing most of the terror it caused me), so I can't stand anything that has that general style of Japanese Ghost(doesn't help that I also find them to be extremely boring as monsters go)

*yeah those movies are the epitome of trash but at least for the first three entries they were pretty funny

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Karloff posted:

If I recall correctly the original Ringu doesn't really have any jump scares, though the remake has an all-timer with the "I saw her face" moment. The TV moment is scary becuase of how methodical it is, she doesn't come leaping out of the TV suddenly, she just kind of walks to the edge of the screen and then crawls out. So if you've only seen the remake then the original is less jump-scare oritented (though someone do correct me in this regard please if I'm misremebering), though I get it if the memories of the remake could make watching the original still a bit too much.

The embarrassing thing is I've never actually even watched any of the films, not even the original American remake, this trauma all happened cause another kid described the movie in such depth and enthusiasm that between my overactive imagination, my autism making me focus on it really intensely(and probably the beginning symptoms of my depression, anxiety, and paranoia problems starting to emerge), and the fact that as a kid I was extremely prone to really intense nightmares was enough to basically destroy me mentally for the better part of a year(this would end up becoming a trend throughout my adolescence where exposure to something disturbing would send me spiraling into depression and existential dread for months at a time)

And yes I'm fully willing to admit that probably makes me the biggest wuss in the history of these forums

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Karloff posted:

Not at all. Everyone's got their thing. I've had anxiety trouble myself over things which others would probably scoff at, but it felt very intense to me. Everyone's different, and there's no shame in just going "nope, not for me".

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The autism + extremely bad nightmares as a kid thing was my exact trajectory too, except that when I was about 10 years old something just snapped in my brain and I both stopped having nightmares and now find it very difficult to actually have a fear response to a film.

Every once in a while it still happens, and it's not a question of me being some hardass who isn't afraid of anything; sometimes really silly poo poo is what does the trick, like that tacky 1999 remake of The Haunting. But for the most part, I have an extremely distant and abstract reaction to horror (and still really enjoy it, just... not the way I think most people do)

Thanks that does reassure me a fair amount

Alhazred posted:

The entire franchise has one good joke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfj2aiWh0ek
I tried the movies because I'm fan of the Wayans bros but it's just so frustrating to watch joke after joke that doesn't land.

I will fully admit that my sense of humor can sometimes be incredibly juvenile, though I also haven't seen any of those movies in like almost a decade so it's possible I wouldn't find them as funny as teen me did

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

You're not a real horror fan until you've fully digested Tor Johnson's oeuvre.

Beast of Yucca Flats is quite possibly the worst film ever made

Basebf555 posted:

In terms of evidence, you're right the only significant evidence that people ever point to is the Patterson film. Most of the tracks have been exposed as hoaxes, or they're just not convincing to begin with.

The myth itself traces much further back, before the name Bigfoot existed. Native Americans had various names for it, and then of course if you want to bring in very similar myths from other areas of the world you can find plenty of them. So I think that even without the Patterson film Sasquatch/Bigfoot would've been a long-lasting, prominent American myth.

Personally I feel there has to be something real behind Sasquatch, if mostly because legends of big hairy(and often very smelly) ape men are way too common on a global scale for it to just be something completely made up, whether anything of that sort still actually exists is of course a whole nother kettle of fish

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I think you mean "the most quotable film ever made."

I stand by what I said, even the MST3K version is hard to watch

In the category of "big ugly guy goes around strangling people" movies I'd much rather rewatch The Brute Man(which is also the superior episode of MST3K, partially because Chicken of Tomorrow is the funniest short that show ever did)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

While that’s not wrong, it misses that we already have smelly apes wandering around everywhere, called humans.

When you look at enough alleged Bigfoot videos - which are now extremely easy to track down compared to pre-Internet times - you get a fairly even mix of people in dark clothing shot from a distance, shapes created by tree stumps and branches, and undisguised monkey suits.

The former two types of video are the ones posted by the true believers, and it becomes quickly apparent that they literally use “Bigfoot” as a term for any dark and human-ish shape. So a collection of branches will be a Bigfoot from one angle and a bush from another, with the conclusion being that the Bigfoot (human shape) simply turned into a bush (plant shape). Like, showing that Bigfoot is just an image won’t dissuade folks because Bigfoot is effectively believed to be an animal made out of images.

So, yeah, it’s not completely made up. There are shapes, sounds, and smells out in the woods - and Bigfoot is the name for the ones you can’t immediately identify.

Blair Witch 3: The Woods is consequently one of the best Bigfoot movies, because the witch literally has arms made of sticks, her voice is made up of fox cries, etc. Then, occasionally, these objects briefly align.... The point of the official alternate title is that the antagonist literally is just the woods - in the same way that the Final Destinations are best read as a series of random accidents that the characters simply interpret as the work of an invisible puppeteer.

(On the flipside, it’s honestly kind of surprising how inept the Bigfoot hoaxes tend to be, since Patterson proved that you just need to light a suit decently and ensure there are no visible shoes. It’s weirdly common to forget the shoes, or to release multiple different takes of the same video, or for the video’s backstory to make no fuckin sense whatsoever.)

Well I'm leaning more towards the idea that there used to be some big hairy ape men roaming the wilds of the world that inspired various legends but they probably went extinct centuries or millennia ago

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

On the topic of cavemen I'm actually kinda surprised that no one's made a movie based on that really silly "Predatory Neanderthals" theory yet

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

There's Bone Tomahawk, brah.

Nah see this theory isn't about Neanderthals just being cannibals, the idea is that the mainstream depiction of them is completely wrong and they were in fact more like hairy orcs;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZbmywzGAVs

And this isn't even going into some of the really weird poo poo that this theory has ended up tied into like the Saturn Death Cult theory

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Just watched Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched, a documentary about the Folk Horror genre which was pretty entertaining & informative if also quite long for a single part documentary(a bit over 3 hours long)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mulva posted:

Still only one way to kill a werewolf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SlWegS2sS0

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

This got dropped on me tonight via text and I wasn't sure what to answer: movies or horror shorts that take place in creepy, claustrophobic fishing villages? Like, Shadow Over Innsmouth style. Doesn't have to specifically be Lovecraftian, but it should take place in a creepy-rear end fishing village. The only recent thing that came to mind was the first half of the last season of American Horror Story, but even then the town wasn't really claustrophobic, just coastal.

Dagon is probably an obvious suggestion since it's an adaptation of Shadow Over Innsmouth but a good recommendation nonetheless

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

For aliens you'd just have to bring back Qwisp since that cereal's mascot was an alien

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Justin Godscock posted:

Anyone remember this UFO TV special from the late 90s?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Abduction:_Incident_in_Lake_County

Scared the loving poo poo out of me when I was young and, honestly, watching it today it's pretty well made for a 1998 low-budget found footage TV special. The acting is a little spotty and they made a big mistake actually showing the aliens in full at the end who were just dudes in Spirit Halloween alien costumes. But the suspense and tension and paranoia they were going for just worked when it had to and it's a nostalgic favorite of mine.

The 1988 film it's a remake of, The McPherson Tape is on Shudder

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I'm avoiding the franchises , so only one off slashers and I am counting Giallo as part of the slasher genre. The list so far:

Don't Go in the Woods
Delirium
Nightmare Beach
Silent Night Deadly Night
My Soul to Take
The Burning

The original version of The Town That Dreaded Sundown is a good one as it's more of a prototype of the genre

Takes No Damage posted:

This is the TV edit with some cheesy host segments thrown in but it's the best picture quality I've found so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPOS4fGKyqI

Alien is a slasher movie.

Similarly one could probably argue that Toxic Avenger has a lot of Slasher DNA in it, just that the Slasher happens to be the hero(same for Robocop or Dredd for that matter)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

worms butthole guy posted:

Needs some DePalma....not sure if they're theoretically "slashers" but theyre similiar:

Phantom of the Paradise
Blow Out

Phantom of The Paradise definitely feels like a Slasher in certain scenes so I'd count it

Similarly the anime OVA Cybernetics Guardian is basically a hybrid of a Slasher film and a Mecha anime and the only thing that keeps it from being a perfect suggestion is that it's too short for the challenge due to only being about 45 minutes long(honestly the minimum length requirement for the challenge is the one rule I am not a fan of since it has always felt a bit arbitrary)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

So I've been watching some classic Real Ghostbusters episodes since Prime put them all up a few months ago. I'm saving the Samhain episodes for October but that got me thinking. What are some good classic Halloween/spooky t.v. episodes/specials to watch in October? I'd love to have some of that stuff on tap for Saturday mornings or late at night when I'm winding things down.

The Garfield Halloween special is a great one. Obviously Charlie Brown.

Edit: What about Scooby Doo? Any in particular that are recommended? I actually haven't watched a lot of Scoopy Doo in general.

Over The Garden Wall would be an excellent choice

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

So I've been watching some classic Real Ghostbusters episodes since Prime put them all up a few months ago. I'm saving the Samhain episodes for October but that got me thinking. What are some good classic Halloween/spooky t.v. episodes/specials to watch in October? I'd love to have some of that stuff on tap for Saturday mornings or late at night when I'm winding things down.

The Garfield Halloween special is a great one. Obviously Charlie Brown.

Edit: What about Scooby Doo? Any in particular that are recommended? I actually haven't watched a lot of Scoopy Doo in general.

Hey Arnold had a surprisingly large amount of spooky episodes, could do a mini marathon off just those;

Haunted Train
Arnold's Halloween
Four-Eyed Jack
Headless Cabbie
Sid The Vampire Slayer
Ghost Bride

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Random idea for a October 31 Films Challenge; 31 Days, 31 Sub-Genres, probably not hard to come up with 31 of them but I will admit some of them will probably be a bit on the weird/niche end

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

davidspackage posted:

loving love Bautista and this trailer is really good. Can't wait for Shyamalan to put outer space alien dialogue in the mouths of these gaydads and their daughter.

Reminds me that Bautista was supposed to be involved in a film adaptation of the comic series Body Bags, and he's the perfect choice to play Mack Delgado/Clownface as that character is basically what you get when you put a Slasher and a Action Movie "Hero" in a blender and get a murderous hate smoothie as the result

flashy_mcflash posted:

I've thought that for the last few years, even the peak pandemic ones. The output from such a vast variety of creators has been so, so good from big budget stuff all the way down to indie YouTube projects like The Backrooms.

Watching this goopy nonsense tonight! (NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6p59C0EJ_U

Well that certainly is something

happyhippy posted:

It was poo poo when every 2nd movie made was a ghost girl with black hair covering her face who made stop motion jerk movements.

Agreed, especially the overreliance on jump scares which are the cheapest and lowest form of horror aside from maybe using actual footage of people or animals dying

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Where is The Stuff on posters horror list?

Personally I think it's a hidden classic of 80's horror and one that deserves a remake of some sort, if mostly so Chocolate Chip Charlie won't be done so dirty

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

Should make that some kind of stretch goal for donations, otherwise it will remain forever unknowable, like that Blood Duster album that the intentionally destroyed before releasing it:

Lord that is so loving pretentious

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

There's an appropriately brutal lumber truck related death in the novel Blackwater, which I still think is one of those books that deserves to be adapted as a TV show or mini series some day

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

lol, the Julius scene is still the greatest Jason kill in the whole franchise.

e: Also I love what a hellhole NYC is depicted as. Just open barrels of toxic waste and nasty couches and chairs in the alleyways which make up 90% of the city. The entire city is just alleyways, subways and Times Square, all of which is completely covered in graffiti.

Which is funny cause in reality NYC has almost no actual alleyways, at least in Manhattan that is

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

Because Stuart wanted to make Space Truckers and Dagon instead, and god bless him for it

Agreed, Dagon doesn't get enough love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

I don't know what that means but I'm excited.

Probably them doing a release of some form of the "Godzilla vs Gorgo" fan film Carpenter made back in 1969