Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Anyone with short film recommendations? Rewatched The Pledge and am gonna spend some time on shorter stuff tomorrow. Whistle and I’ll Come to You in top spot atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Drunkboxer posted:

Is Whistle and I’ll Come to you the best sheet-ghost in horror?

Tell me of other terrifying sheet-ghosts, if they exist.

Halloween? I’ve seen it done surprisingly effectively in an adaption of Hamlet during the opening but can’t think of much else. Certainly Whistle is the only time I’ve seen a legitimately spooky sheet ghost.

Triangle is surprisingly good. There was a copy at the blockbuster, in high school I’d walk past it to get to the sports/surfing section—it was placed next to Seminal Horror “Donkey Punch.” Watched it last year on the threads recommendation and was really impressed. Doesn’t outstay it’s welcome, though it seems like it should.

E: Thought about it, the only way I could see one better would be if you’d only seen the Ian McKellen adaptation.

PONEYBOY fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 18, 2018

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is this screen from The Pledge or Whistle and I'll Come to You? Probably doesn't matter as I'll check out both. I noticed the latter is on Amazon Prime with John Hurt, from 2010, is that the right one?

That shot is from The Pledge, which I don’t believe is on any streaming service. Rumsey, the director, sent me a copy after I got in touch with him but I’m not sure if the film is accessible online.

As far as Whistle and I’ll Come to You, the Hurt adaption is alright but the original is a classic, track that one down if you can. A Warning to the Curious is also great. The BBC made adaptions of M. R. James’ work back in the 70’s, and their high points are absolutely worth catching. Kneale’s The Stone Tape is another fantastic Brit film from the period if you want to go tangential.

PONEYBOY fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 19, 2018

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Rewatching The Thing for the first time in maybe ten years. I’ve only ever seen it on VHS so the quality just seems out of this world.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

I feel like a John Carpenter ain’t too shabby. Very close to it being The Mangler tho’

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Fart City posted:

Hey.

The Mangler is.... fine.

But it would edge out Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight, and that I cannot support.

PONEYBOY fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 12, 2019

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Renfield is one of the best characters in Dracula imo. Dwight Frye is fantastic in the ‘31 Universal film.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

It’s been brought up a few times here, so you may have seen it already, but the Korean TV series Kingdom is worth look. Stellar effort in the wardrobing department.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

sponges posted:

Anyone see the Curse of La Llorona? Want to go see a movie but there is nothing else out right now

Eh. I didn’t hate it but it really didn’t do much for me at all.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Narzack posted:

When I watched it years ago, it was the theatrical cut. The one we both saw together was the director's cut. I don't really know what was added, but I still liked it. That Nix is a scary dude. And, I'll take a look at Candyman. I've never seen it myself, though, is there any brutal violence? or just regular horror stuff? I was just able to watch Tucker and Dale with her, and she got a little grossed once or twice, but didn't get upset. Not like the time we were watching Walking Dead Sn 1 Ep 2 and we got to the bit where they disguised themselves in guts. She actually ended up crawling to the bathroom, chundering the whole way.

Candyman’a violence never feels like it’s meant to be revelled in fwiw. There is some mention of violence, sexual and otherwise, but the film never lingers, and let’s the idea convey its own horror. Imo the film is more uncomfortable than disgusting—I watched it with my mum the first time I saw it and she loved it.

PONEYBOY fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 11, 2019

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

Does anyone have good movies about grave robbing

The Pledge by Digby Rumsey is a dope short film about reverse grave robbing if you can track down a copy.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Watch A Warning to the Curious asap if you’ve not seen it already, tbh that entire run of BBC productions is worth seeing.

e. also check out The Stone Tapes, and I will take a bullet before I stop shilling for The Pledge

PONEYBOY fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 28, 2019

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

M_Sinistrari posted:

Any more recommendations like this, I sat through Whistle and Stone Tape and really enjoyed them.

Penda’s Fen and Requiem for a Village come to mind. Haven’t seen it for a while but Polanski’s Cul-de-Sac is probably worth a watch too.

I’m sure you’ve seen it, but on the off chance you ought watch Witchfinder General too.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

Partial credit but the correct answer is:

A Triple Feature of Witchfinder General, Blood on Satan's Claw, and The Wicker Man (1968-1975, various people but I just want to type "Dick Bush" again)

This is also a great watch list to whomever was asking about follow ups in re MR James btw

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Just saw return of the living dead again. What’s a good follow up for tonight?

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

BioTech posted:

If you want to see zombies in Korea during the Joseon period, where the King was bitten, a crown prince tries to stop the outbreak while an evil Prime Minister tries to use it for his own political gain watch Kingdom, the TV series.
I couldn't believe there was a movie and a series about something so specific released at the same time, so at first I though it was just an international naming thing.

Either way, the series was better. No half-zombie swordfights and they do some cool stuff with how the zombies act during daylight.

If you would like to see pretty hats you should also watch this.

Jokes aside, the wardrobing for Kingdom was some of the best I’ve seen this year. Absolutely stellar effort.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Finished watching The Exorcist series in the advice of someone in this thread, really fun season one. Season two started to bore me a tad about seven episodes in tho, think the series was probably better off with an early cancellation tbh.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

Has anyone here seen The Reptile? I saw it when I was looking up the director of Plague of the Zombies, which he apparently directed back to back with The Reptile the same year. Plague of the Zombies is good enough that I feel like I should check out more of John Gilling's work.

Looks like he did some pirate adventure films too, and one of them stars Peter Cushing! Definitely need to track that down. It's called Fury at Smuggler's Bay.

I liked the reptile, the monster design’s goofy and it’s kinda orientalist but it did really bring across the atmosphere that makes Hammer films so enjoyable to watch.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Is Serpent and the Rainbow any good? It’s one of the few Craven movies I’ve never seen.

It’s not great but I love it, tad disjointed and falters a bit near the end. Has a fun fever dream feel to it tho’.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Top of my head I might have to go with The Wailing for my favourite of the decade, but Green Room tempts me.

The worst is Terrifier, followed closely by a tie of Tusk and Green Inferno. Honorable mention to Don’t Breath because I loathed almost every minute.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

The Clive Barker story might be Dread, which was adapted, no clue if the film’s any good tho’.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

david_a posted:

Holy gently caress this one is avatar material

Like what the hell, is his jacket transforming? I have questions

I need an avatar, taking this for myself.

I’m in consensus in re The Fly. I remember Moon of the Wolf being a fun made for TV movie, it’s the only film I can think of that uses Loup Garou instead of Werewolf.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Watching Crawl atm, more films need to be set in storms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

I saw that last night funnily enough, noticed the yellow was about ten minutes in. It’s like the whole thing was lit by candlelight. Fun watch but tbh I spent most of the film remembering You’re Next