Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Hi horror thread, thanks for the 600 pages of recommendations. It's fair to say I've been on a major horror binge thanks to you fine folks, including thread favourites like Evil Bong, the RZ Halloweens (I'd assumed these were just bad remakes), Occult and Possession.

Here's my Letterboxd, I've already followed a few of you and had some follows back https://letterboxd.com/tarnop/

For actual thread content, I have some thoughts about Possession. I came away from the film thinking that the scenes of Isabelle Adjani without Sam Neill were supposed to be showing us the projections of his feelings rather than her actual experience. She finds it impossible to cope without him, leading to her breaking down completely in the subway. She takes lovers with characteristics shaped by his insecurities (the man she's seeing is both effeminate and a better fighter than Sam, the creature is simultaneously monstrous and a better lover). It reminded me of Lost Highway, and the way Bill Pullman's character breaks the women in his life down to simplified, trope versions of themselves. This left me feeling like there was a story being told from her perspective that maybe I'd missed by reading the film this way, and I'd be interested to read some other takes on what we're seeing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Iron Crowned posted:

All this slasher talk makes me wonder if there's a slasher based table top RPG, because that seems like a great setting for one offs and campaigns.

Dread does slashers very well, and one of the included scenarios is just that.

All you need is the pdf and a Jenga tower.

e: forgot about Geiger Counter, free and GM-less

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 19, 2020

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The_Doctor posted:

Letters from Whitechapel was one of my favourite games until I played their stripped down version, Whitehall Mystery. It’s a much purer, streamlined game with less faffing about in parts, and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

:same:

also the recent Jaws board game is a blast

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It's Lost in La Mancha

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The Lodge doesn't have a release date in the UK :(

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

If that sound interesting to you, you should check out Bug. It's not really the same concept, but it has the best exploration of paranoia I've ever seen put to film

Bug (2006)? Just making sure I'm getting the right one, there's a 1975 film too

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Thanks!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

pospysyl posted:

If it has Michael Shannon in it, it's the right one.

Now there's a man who should be in more horror movies. He was scarily intense in Take Shelter, and I'd love to see him in a good, modern, straight up horror

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Hell House is a delightful found footage film, shame the sequels are apparently terrible.

My one problem with the movie: they kept saying people "hanged" themselves instead of "hung" themselves. I'm pretty sure that's grammatically incorrect, am I wrong about that?

Does anyone still have that list of found footage films people in this thread recommend a while back?

Hanged is used specifically for the method of death, although I believe usage has largely shifted towards "hung" for everything

I think this was the list

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

BioTech posted:

I can recommend Frank & Lola if you want a scary, intense Michael Shannon.
That movie deserves more attention.

Couple of pages back, thanks for the recommendation

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I watched the Suspiria remake yesterday and I still have no idea whether I liked it or not. What a confusing blob of a film.

+ I thought Tilda Swinton was excellent as Mme Blanc, and Dakota Johnson did better than I expected as Susie
+ Once I got accustomed to the muted palette I thought the film was gorgeous for the most part
+ I liked the effort to place the story in 70s Berlin, both with the imagery it provided (I absolutely love Berlin and think it's a fascinating city) and the thematic connection between the political turmoil in the city and in the coven
+ The body horror effects were pretty spectacular in places, I'm especially thinking of the sequence where Olga gets brutalised in the mirror room while Susie dances

- CGI blood looks terrible and Suspiria does nothing to improve the technique
- The stunt casting was annoying and distracting. I just don't see the purpose of having Tilda Swinton play the old psychiatrist guy in bad old man make-up, especially when it was especially obvious it was her. After the film reading about how they stuck to the story of it being an unknown actor and then they got all the movie press in on the joke really reinforces the idea that it was one big wanky in-joke that actively harms the film
- It's too long. A movie needs a loving good reason to be longer than 90 minutes and Suspiria did not have that. It spends its extra hour layering up the mystery despite making it incredibly obvious in the first 15 minutes that it's witches. They could have used this extra time to foreshadow the final revelation which just gets dropped in out of nowhere
- A remake needs to justify its existence more than most films (from a critical standpoint, I don't care if it was a financial success) and I can't imagine ever wanting to rewatch this over the original

It's a film with a lot of positives that just seems to go out it its way to torpedo any good will on the part of the viewer. At least it made me have feelings?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

feedmyleg posted:

But in Suspiria it just never paid off and I was left wondering if I was missing some thematic string that connected her two characters in a meaningful way. It made me concentrate on the wrong parts of the film and just left me disappointed.

This was my main issue with it. At first I was waiting for them to reveal that the doctor was Blanc and she was using a glamour or something to disguise herself and gather information on girls that were planning to betray the coven. When it became clear that this wasn't going to happen I, like you, started looking for some connection between the characters that almost certainly didn't exist.

In retrospect, looking at the press response to the reveal, it seems like it was just a marketing move so that they could get people talking about the film again after the initial buzz died down.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Basebf555 posted:

Suspiria feels like they just went down a list of things about the original that people loved and made certain they changed every single one of them, just because. It doesn't feel organic to what the movie is, it feels contrarian for no real purpose.

This I think really nails why I'm struggling to form a final opinion on it. I like the original a lot but I'm not the kind of "fan" who will get mad at a remake for existing or for changing things. It just feels like they didn't do the legwork necessary for a lot of the changes to make sense in any context other than "it needs to be different from the original". That's why the doctor storyline feels like an appendage, because it doesn't serve any purpose other than to differentiate from the original, and in fact weakens the message of the remake by making it so the only person the girls feel they can go to for help outside the school is a man.

Contrast the doctor storyline to the addition of the Baader-Meinhof elements: those both informed the place and time of the film, amped up the paranoia, and connected thematically to the main story. That's the sort of thing I'd consider justifying some extra run-time.

I prefer the Surprise remake over the original. I loved the drab brutalism, I loved the performances, I loved the dancing, I loved the unapologeticly queer feminine tone. The old age makeup wasn't needed, and it doesn't quite make its landing, but otherwise it's one of my favourite films from this century.

I was 100% down for all these elements, and I'm just sad it undercut itself with so many unforced errors.

gey muckle mowser posted:

I think the Suspiria would be just about perfect if they cut out the old man subplot and got it under two hours. I loved it overall but it's a bit too long.

This is the answer for me. It's hard to overstate just how much it weakens the film, from adding to the length, to distracting stunt casting, to the weird move of undercutting the film's mystery by having Patricia just go to a doctor and say "I think it's witches!" in like the first 5 minutes.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm definitely going to make time to watch the original and the remake again in the next few months, because I'm rarely left feeling so conflicted over a film

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

dorium posted:

speaking of Suspiria this print arrived over the weekend and I love it

framed it immediately.

That is really beautiful

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've seen them both before, several years apart, but I've never watched Resolution and The Endless back to back. My memory is hosed so I definitely didn't remember much about Resolution when I was watching The Endless, and I feel like maybe I missed out on some cool crossover stuff.

Double feature time, baby!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Does anyone here successfully get the US Shudder lineup from outside the US, with a VPN? When I run the app on my fire tv with the VPN active (I use Private Internet Access) I still only see the UK movies, and it wasn't always this way. I think last time I remember it working was January.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Hmm ok I need to do some testing from my desktop then, because that's the same configuration I'm using on fire tv (which is just an Android box)

Do you happen to know a movie that's on US and not UK to save me just paging through the lists looking for differences?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Cool, thanks folks I got it sorted. Some cached files were surviving the uninstall process

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Annihilation was Netflix too and I enjoyed that very much

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Franchescanado posted:

Skydance / Paramount and DNA films, actually. Netflix handled international distribution.

drat, my "is there an N on the thumbnail" analysis might have some flaws

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

According to Wikipedia, The Ritual and the new Kaufman film are both produced by other companies (The Imaginarium / eOne and Likely Story respectively) with Netflix distributing.

Flipping through the Netflix original films that I've seen I can't find any that have Netflix listed as the production company

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Makes sense!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

My dad (who wouldn't normally watch horror movies) recommended The Strain to me, so I have extra love for that series just because I'll likely never get to otherwise bond with my dad over vampires and gore.

Speaking of parents and horror movies I dropped off a care package of blu rays for my parents before the UK went into lockdown. Almost entirely non horror but I thought I'd expand their horizons with one of the new wave of horror and included It Follows. A few weeks later they called me to complain about one of the movies they'd watched but couldn't remember (a) what it was called (b) any of the characters (c) a single event from the movie.

When I told them It Follows was one of my favourite movies of the last decade it was like I was speaking an alien language

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm excited about all of these words.

Holy poo poo yes. I'm immediately thinking of a double bill with Valhalla Rising

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'd really advise watching them in order. There's a fun "yes, and..." quality between the sequels that'll be lost if you jump around.

It's also a fun ride through the history of audience expectations of slashers, and how the industry responded

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I have a nice diagonal line of three from body to surreal there.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

alf_pogs posted:

home alone tonight! what's a good horror film to watch

I watched The Borderlands earlier this week and enjoyed it a lot. It's streaming on Prime.

It's found footage with good scares and a fun ending, and the bits with no scares are good too because the main characters antagonise each other in believable and entertaining ways

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

As long as I get to sit at Folk / Occult table with Robert Eggers and Ari Aster the rest can fall into a big pit of lava like the bus dream in NOES2

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Robert Eggers and Ari Aster would never in a million years sit at the same table together and I will take a cafeteria tray to anyone who would dare say otherwise.

They're friends

https://a24films.com/notes/2019/07/deep-cuts-with-robert-eggers-and-ari-aster

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Anyone planning their October challenge line-up yet? This will be my first one and I'm excited as can be

The thing missing from my horror experience is oldies. I'm kind of ashamed to say that I'm a staunchly 70s onward horror guy and I've never seen the appeal of films older than that. If it wasn't for Psycho, The Birds, and Rosemary's Baby i would have nothing pre-70s in my viewing history. What a great time to fix that!

I built a shortlist of everything with an 80+ predicted score on Criticker that's tagged as horror from The Cabinet of Dr Cagliari (1920) to The Cremator (1969). I haven't looked into how accessible any of this stuff is, but hopefully with a shortlist of 76 movies I'll be able to find 31 that are readily available.

Here's the shortlist

I'd love to hear about any obvious omissions, or stuff that I've included that might secretly be crap

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

This is good advice, and for some reason I'd got the idea that all the movies should be new to me. I'll take 15 spread across that 50 year span as much as possible and mix in some of my existing faves or more modern stuff on my unwatched list.

I'm very prone to burnout, almost certainly because I'm an all or nothing sort of person, so genuinely thanks for spotting that trap I'd set for myself

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It's definitely getting difficult to find anything non-horror that provokes an emotion

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kvlt! posted:

wrong id like to see inktober i love when people post their horror art itt

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

So sorry to hear about your kitty :glomp:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Can't believe you forced me to look at these loving gorgeous photos, the lighting my god

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

But VFW was great

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Timeless Appeal posted:

I agree that it's near perfect, but I think The Thing doesn't need to be married to the story of the original film at all. I think you can do a parallel story with the same alien that doesn't have to touch the original's tale.

Like a War movie with The Thing would probably be great.

There was a Kickstarter for a new release of the book a couple of years back, and the stretch goals were largely new stories written in the same continuity. There's definitely stuff to draw from for a new movie

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm watching The Pool and it's very fun so far but fingernail stuff gives me full-body sympathy pains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I suspect that in this case, it's less fanfic-rear end fanfic, and moreso established authors writing "fanfic" with the rights holders' permission.

I posted and then immediately went to bed, but yes it's this. Here's the Kickstarter. I haven't read any of the stories yet.

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 26, 2020