Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm reading QCS so none of you have to

:terminator2thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

FreudianSlippers posted:

I really need to check it out.

Too bad Shudder is hostile to VPN excursion.

I use Shudder through a VPN (Private Internet Access) and as long as I clear the app's cache and force stop it when I change regions it works fine

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ah right, yeah that'll do it. I think everyone posting above is just using it from an eligible country to geolocate to another eligible country. That's certainly what I'm doing.

Sorry for getting your hopes up :smith:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Sold. What a good trailer

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I assume I'm not the only one getting serious Crash vibes from Titane? Cars and surgical implants?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

To which I say "gently caress yes"

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

david_a posted:

You didn’t read it very carefully. Candyman vs Hellraiser was shot down by Clive. Candyman as a professor in a girl’s college during a snowstorm was Todd’s idea for part 4.

Neither idea sounds good

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Basebf555 posted:

The main point of contention with Zombie's Michael is that he spends the whole first act showing Michael as a kid and the events leading up to the first murders. Some people like it, some people hate it.

Just considering the first film, I can understand why some people don't like it even though I think it's a great choice. It's not really clear why this whole extended first act exists when the rest of the film is just a more violent remake of 1978.

The second film justifies it completely imo. The thematic destination was always an unflinchingly brutal look at acts of violence spreading trauma like a disease and the different ways people react to it. Michael's violent upbringing blooms outward into this nightmare that kills a fairly small number of people but completely changes the lives of everyone it touches, in mostly horrible ways. I don't think the gut punch scene of Brad Dourif's sheriff discovering his daughter's body works nearly as well without that connection back to what made Michael a killer.

I think that's why the Zombieweens are such good "remakes" because they're using the same basic story to explore very different themes than the original which for me is much more about the facade of security in suburban life.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

This will be the post that makes everyone in the thread love you, I just know it

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Explosivo12 posted:

Being intolerant of that notion makes you, well, a bigot.

A genuine paradox of intolerance in the wild. I thought they were all but extinct. Quick, someone pass me a jar

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Hollismason posted:

LMFAO at Explosivo12. Goddamn what a hill to get threadbanned on.

Lol threadbanned. This is the CineD horror thread, the place where sexual harassment and rampant homophobia get you a day off and maybe a ramp next time if someone remembers

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

SlimGoodbody posted:

CelticPredator, could you link us to your work? I haven't seen it and I would very much like to.

This is the Sam's Gift short that people have mentioned a few times

https://youtu.be/wISZKrlRpTE

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Monoclinic posted:

Hi all, I mostly lurk and haven't posted since....the last horror thread, but this is one of the better threads on the forum imo!

I've watched barely any horror films for years but am a fan in general. The last big ones I remember are the Babadook and It Follows, which are from 2014 apparently.

What would a few of your must-watch movies be, from then to now?

Straight from my top ranked horrors on Criticker, filtering for 2015 onward :

Raw (2017)
Get Out (2017)
The Witch (2016)
One cut of the Dead (2017)
Annihilation (2018)
La Casa Lobo (2018)
The House That Jack Built (2018)
I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020)
The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017)
The Lighthouse (2019)
Midsommar (2019)
The Neon Demon (2016)
Revenge (2017)
Saint Maud (2020)
The Wailing (2016)
We Are the Flesh (2016)
Hereditary (2018)
Relic (2020)
Us (2019)
Green Room (2016)
Climax (2018)
The Endless (2017)
Freaky (2020)
His House (2020)
The Invisible Man (2020)
Shin Godzilla (2016)
The Lodge (2020)
Mandy (2018)
The Devil's Candy (2015)
The Invitation (2015)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Hollismason posted:

The House that Jacked Built is kind of a bummer of a horror recommendation. Its such a dark comedy. It's a good film but I found it too depressing and dark to really enjoy. Its got its moments though and its got a pitch black sense of humor to it.

This is absolutely true and a reasonable warning. The film aligns well with my tastes but if you're not into stuff like Henry, Man Bites Dog and Angst then it might not be for you.

E:

King Vidiot posted:

The House That Jack Built is a good movie, but I don't know that I'd ever watch it again. I guess you could say the same about literally any given Lars Von Trier movie. You watch it, you "get" it, and then you're left with an experience you're not going to forget any time soon. And then you never want to sit through it again.

I've watched it three times, send help

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kvlt! posted:

I Saw The Devil would make a good double feature with House That Jack Built

gently caress yeah :hfive:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm usually the first person to get critical about a film going too long but in the case of HTJB the self-indulgence felt like part of the point.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Now I have this stuck in my head

https://youtu.be/Ypgq0qdgVZA

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Monoclinic posted:

Wow, thank you everyone so far. Another reason this is a great thread, a ton of recs within minutes!

I should have mentioned I have seen The Lighthouse (2019) very recently and enjoyed it. Went in blind just knowing it was black and white and spooky. It had more humour than I was expecting, and the visuals were great. I will definitely check out The Witch by the same director.

Please do let us know what you think after watching them. If there's one thing that unites this thread it's the vicarious joy of someone seeing a film we love for the first time

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

CelticPredator posted:

Mimi is amazing. I don’t know. She’s my kind of weirdo kid that cracks me up. But then again I have yet to find anyone irl who thinks she’s funny so idk.

I have introduced 4 IRL friends to Psycho Goreman and they all thought she was funny

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

One of the things that really differentiates Fear Street from your average slasher trilogy is that it was created as a trilogy with a coherent and, imo, compelling mystery linking the three films together. Most slasher trilogies operate on the basis of the first one doing better than expected and oh poo poo we'd better work out how to continue the story. That alone makes them films of note in the slasher genre.

It's obviously a privilege for a director to get the money to be able to do this, but I think Leigh Janiak made good on the opportunity.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Empty Man was great but I think it would have been better if there was no titular man and it just focused on the cosmic horror

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Shrecknet posted:

Someone replied this was on their Horror Kill Mount Rushmore. You gotta put NoES 4 roach motel, Psycho shower and then what's your #4?

For its effect on my entire film watching trajectory since I was a teenager, uncle Frank at the end of Hellraiser.

Jesus wept

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Basebf555 posted:

The thing that puts a lot of people off is the length. It's hard to sell a creepy slow-burn horror movie that's 146 minutes long.

A 146 minute movie that contains 0 surprises at that

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

flashy_mcflash posted:

Titane is a real one. I don't think I could unpack the story properly if I wanted to, and I don't, but goddamn Julia Ducourneau knows how to shoot body horror in a way that you loving feel every second of it. When you walk out of a movie thinking that it made Cronenberg's Crash look like an exercise in half-steppin', you know you've seen something special.

If I have a criticism is that most of the coolest stuff, including a few sick kills and one motherfucker of a one-take scene, is frontloaded in the first half, but it finishes really strong.

This makes me very happy. I hope I get to see it at a cinema, but the UK release is in December so I'm not optimistic

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

MacheteZombie posted:

Lmao malignant

is how I felt too. What an unexpected treat

gey muckle mowser posted:

In the opening you see that some kind of surgery is being done and pieces of something are being cut away, but at that point you don’t have enough context to know what’s happening, and if they commented on not being able to remove everything then it didn’t register to me

Yeah this was my experience too. It's like when you see a trailer after a movie and it feels like it spoils everything but at that point you have the context to make those 0.5s flashes seem like spoilers

CODChimera posted:

I feel like a big part of what made Malignant so good is going to be gone by all the hype even if you avoid the spoilers

I was super hyped thanks to the last five pages and I still thought it ruled.

Interesting to see Wan building on and incorporating some ideas from Whannel's films. (Spoilers for Malignant and Upgrade) A parasitic intelligence trapping its host in a false reality while it kills is straight out of Upgrade, and the way the action sequences were shot was very reminiscent. There were a couple of moments that really reminded me of Invisible Man too, like the indented sofa cushion and just the general vibe of being framed for the actions of someone that nobody believes exists. That on top of the Argento lighting and zooms on Maddie's shocked face, the Se7en style credits and foot-chase, the Basket Case premise made it a very referential experience but no less enjoyable for it.

The greatest sin a film full of references can commit is to make you wish you were watching the film it's referencing instead, and I never felt that for a moment. More like this please, James.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

alf_pogs posted:

Price in Theatre of Blood, monologuing to his loyal army of hobos, is some great stuff

I got his cookbook for Christmas last year, "Cooking Price-Wise". there's some wildly unappealing things in there

Pictures of some of the culinary highlights would be greatly appreciated

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

alf_pogs posted:

the photos don't do justice to the freewheelin' pastel-colored 1970s vibes of the whole thing

the dessert recipes that I've done are pretty delicious and it's fun to see his big mug obvs

BRB, preparing several cucumber crocodiles for my next game night

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Really the only thing distracting in Childs Play 2019 for me was the bear doll that looked like Chucky had been coated in glue and rolled in pubes

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

As Mark Kermode is fond of saying when he's making GBS threads on a film for being overlong and self-indulgent, Kubrick took us from the birth of humanity to the birth of a new galaxy in less than 2 and a half hours.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

:negative:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Re: the old gear in The Descent, I felt like it raised the possibility that the creatures could have been people who got stuck down there years ago and underwent a sort of wendigo-esque transformation after resorting to cannibalism to survive.

Or, alternatively, it's just an utterly bleak moment of "you're doomed" because yes another party of cavers had been down there before and if they'd got out then the cave would have been a known system with a name.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Titane UK release confirmed for new years eve

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2021/10/julia-ducournau-titane-uk-release-date/

Sounds better than a house party tbh

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh yeah I had a question, what's a good way to find more body horror movies? I'm not so much into gore but the Bay and Slither had some hosed up body horror grotesquerie that I'm fascinated by.

This is the top list on letterboxd and it looks pretty good to me

https://letterboxd.com/maxvayne/list/body-horror/by/rating/

Most of the people I'm following are goons from this thread, if you want some letterboxd friends who are likely to have seen most of the films on that list

https://letterboxd.com/Tarnop/following/

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It 2 also captures that exact feeling you get with a game you're not really into where you're doing some boring quest and you think "they're going to make me do this 3 times aren't they". Except with It 2 it was 4 times. I hated that film

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

RobbZombae posted:

Ach, I know. I'm not demanding production halt and move to Scotland (thought that would be cool). It's just Hungary's hosed up poo poo is prominent in the news right now due to disgusting racism at a few sports events and the more you learn about their government the worse it gets.

It would definitely be cool if they moved production to Scotland, famous home of blemish-free sporting events

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for the "Devil Made Me Do It" square on the horror bingo card? The requirements are:

-Watch a film about possession
-Watch a film that features the Devil, or Satan, or demons.

I was thinking about watching Rosemary's Baby, but I'm not sure if "people that worship Satan" count.

I will be watching Demons 2, having watched Demons before the challenge was posted.

Rosemary's Baby counts imo. The trick is to just post the review and see if someone calls you out (they won't)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

alf_pogs posted:

good spookadoodle vibes itt every october, i love it

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kvlt! posted:

I didnt really like titane. the entire movie you wanna see the cool car-human hybrid and its just a normal baby with a metal spine. I didnt understand the murders at the beggining, or how they connected to the plot. It felt like they made a movie and thought "It's not long enough, add some murders at the beggining"

The murders create the sense of looming disaster necessary for the second half of the film. It's not just that if she's discovered she'll be kicked out (or so she believes), she'll also be busted for her crimes. Mechanically, it also adds the plot element of her mugshot being on posters for Vincent's crew mate to see.
As to why she murders, maybe I just listen to too much Last Podcast on the Left but a significant proportion of serial killers have the magic combo of unstable home life + childhood head trauma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

StrixNebulosa posted:

...ah man, I think I made a mistake. I was looking at this list: https://www.comingsoon.net/horror/pb_article_type/749418-10-rowdy-punk-rockers-horror

because I'm looking for punk horror movies, and I picked out Liquid Sky and it's absolutely amazing, but an hour in I'm not sure it's a horror movie? I mean I'm not sure WHAT it is, but - would it count for the bingo challenge? Has anyone in here seen it?

e: wait what the gently caress nevermind. what the gently caress is this movie

Liquid Sky counted for Bracketology, I believe, so should be good for the challenge too