Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015
While visiting my parents for the holidays, I rediscovered the genesis of my Vincent Price fandom in this insane Hanna-Barbera animated special where he does double duty as one head of a Troll King and as a kindly woodcutter who coverts that king’s son to Christianity.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Troll_Prince

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

M_Sinistrari posted:

I sat through Shirome. Felt kinda slow to start, but the girls playing the singers were really convincing. Overall I liked it.

Something that really added to this movie for me, is that the girls aren’t just playing singers - they’re a real and fairly popular j-pop band.

The movie pretty effectively blurs the lines between scripted found footage horror and unscripted promotional documentary too. As I recall it’s sort of ambiguous whether the girls are functioning as actors playing themselves from a script directed by a director playing an eccentric version of himself - or if they’re just a band reacting candidly to the things going on around them like they would in any other cutesy promotional video, while a weird eccentric director winds them up.

This blurred line between scripted/unscripted and actors/characters makes all of the shots of middle aged men (who may not even be actors!) ecstatically drooling in the front row of the concert even more horrifying.

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Jigsaw can get hosed. This isn't necessarily a dig at the Saw movies as a whole, but I loving hate Jigsaw's melodramatic backstory. Like, gently caress off man, you're not an antihero just because you have cancer and took a philosophy 101 class.

I kind of like this about Jigsaw, he’s got this confused ideology where whether you’re an addict, adulterer or murderer, you’re all the same to him and belong in a death trap.

The fact that he’s doing this all because of some extremely stupid back story, and seems to actually believe he’s doing some good in the world only makes him more believable/scary.

He’s like some weird embodiment of American puritanical morality, weird contradictions and all.

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

And by all indications The Hunt is also about how capitalism kills, to the point that it's kinda boringly obvious: the rich villains justify the oppression of the poor on the basis that they're too 'toxic' or whatever. The basic premise of the film (from the director of Compliance, mind) is a satire of how liberals are totally blind to issues of class.

Like, it's hardly subtle if the film actually is about billionaires enslaving/killing minimum-wage workers under the pretense that - since they're racist or anti-choice or whatever - it's a form of humanitarian intervention.

Having read the script for this, I think you’re kind of right, but the movie gets too hung up on toxic social media usage and “cancel culture” to function as an effective satire of liberals being blind to issues of class. It felt like Damon Lindelof should have written a solid 22 minute South Park episode instead.

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

Tart Kitty posted:

I'm kind of... surprised that The Guest hasn't gotten a sequel. I mean once the twist is out of the bag, that takes some of the gas out of it, but I feel like going into the sequel knowing Stevens' whole deal already really opens the doors for an escalated-tone.

I want Adam Wingard to finish out the dark spin on the MCU that he started with The Guest (captain America) and Death Note (spider man). Maybe after a few more movies we can have Dan Stevens back leading some take on the avengers.

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015
Just watched murder death koreatown after seeing it mentioned in this thread.

It toes the line between interesting and good, but I liked it a lot. Feels like a movie that’s going to stay lodged deep in my brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

dorium posted:

Tetsuo: The Iron Man. still great.

An all time great movie!

I got into a little bit of a Tsukamoto kick about a month ago, having only seen tetsuo up to that point, and would also heavily recommend Bullet Ballet for anyone who hasn’t seen it. It’s sort of a “grounded” take on Tetsuo. It feels like Tsukamoto meets Paul Schrader, and was one of the best things I’ve seen in a while.