Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Watched Doctor Sleep today.

I have a friend that didn't like that that the Overlook Hotel was still standing at the end of The Shining, and that the climax takes place in the hotel and not some empty camp site, but I can't imagine that would have been nearly as interesting visually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Friday the 13th Part 3 was really charming with all the 3D effect shots. I'd love to see the movie with the full 3D on.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like how The Final Chapter has the line of dialog: "A new chapter in the story that residents of Camp Crystal Lake had hoped was over"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Final Chapter is far and away the horniest Friday the 13th movie so far.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Kind of surprised that Final Chapter was the least goofy movie besides the original.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Noticing a running theme of characters being unable to get good mental health help in Friday the 13th sequels.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Watched Dracula today on a whim. I think the movie was mostly interesting for Legosi's performance. Kind of like watching Treasure Island and seeing the performance that basically defined what pirates are in popular culture.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Imma mod

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I decided to order the Scream Factory blu-rays for Halloween 2 + 3 in anticipation of Halloween Kills. I haven't seen any of the Halloween movies besides 1978 and 2018.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Needs More Goop posted:

3 is fun, but it really doesn't adhere to the rest of the franchise, it's very much its own thing.

I've always been interested in 3 since I thought an anthology series was a lot more viable for the franchise than focusing on Michael Myers.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

gey muckle mowser posted:

watch them all, most aren’t that good but then you can participate in the thread’s bimonthly Halloween ranking derail

Lol

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This whole thing at least made me aware of Fear Street.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought Fear Street was pretty alright. Not sure I was expecting a movie version of Dead by Daylight, but I can dig it. I kinda wish it wasn't doing a big, grand story and it was just an anthology series, but I guess we'll see how it all plays out.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I can't believe I have to say this but please keep your strokes to yourself, and instead google the answers to your sex related questions so you don't just look like a massive creep.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The lady taking tickets at the theater I go to checked my ID when I went to go see Pig and then exclaimed "You're old!"

Roth fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 18, 2021

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Casimir Radon posted:

Think I’ve only had my ID checked at the theater a handful of times. The only reason I can see anyone caring about high school age kids in a rated R movie is if they can’t keep quiet.

It probably depends on how strict the manager is about it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I saw Old last night, and I thought it was pretty good. It's kind of clunky with exposition, but nothing that totally ruins the movie.

The ending dragged a bit, but I thought the twist was a good spin on why these people were lured there by the hotel, even if I kind of wish it was left ambiguous.

I was kinda expecting a big undo button to be hit, and I'm glad it wasn't.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That Chucky series looks like a lot of fun.

I'll have to check out Z Nation as well.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Just watched Society completely blind on what would happen.

Hell of a movie to just kind of stumble on, gonna have to pick up the Arrow blu-ray.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I watched Edge of the Axe last night, a largely ignored slasher movie that's on Arrow's streaming service.

It felt like a fairly unique slasher movie to me. It felt like there were stretches where it was actually easy to forget there's even a killer around, and it has a pretty Shyamalan tier twist ending.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

SlimGoodbody posted:

Do you mean that in the good way or the bad way

I'd say good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I will always read the word Slayer in the voice of the Halo multiplayer announcer

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Working my way through the Universal boxset. Dracula's Daughter is maybe a bit more interesting of a movie than the 1931 Dracula to me.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I peeped Candyman earlier today.

This may be a very weird thing, but I felt that Candyman had the vibes of a Courage the Cowardly Dog villain. I mean that in a good way because Courage the Cowardly Dog owns.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This isn't the kind of goop I want to read about!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I am very much enjoying The Exorcist 3

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Set up a Hooptober list:

https://letterboxd.com/queenceleste/list/hooptober-2021/

First I'll be participating. Picked things I hadn't seen before exclusively.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Went to an empty screening of Candyman today. I rather enjoyed it, though I understand it seems to have a mixed reception.

Some great moments like the elevator sequence and the finale really stick out in my mind.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Franchescanado posted:

Oh, also, I made this.

151 Horror Film Hidden Gems: A List

I'll be updating this to have notes for each film and why they were selected. It's 151 underseen horror films for people who've worked through the standards.

While I know a lot of regulars who's been in this thread as long as me, or longer, will be familiar with most of them, hopefully there's some in there that haven't. Almost all of them have less than 100K views on Letterboxd (for context, The VVitch has 450k+ and Lord of the Rings has 900k+ views.) And if there's people new to this thread or lurkers who want a good curated list, it should be a nice resource.

I'm pretty sure every movie on the list is set in stone, but to repeat, I'll be adding notes (and more recommendations) to all of these as I get time.

I haven't seen it, so I'm curious why American Movie is on here?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

I watched the opening sequence in Scream some years back and remember turning it off because there was no way the rest of the movie would hold a candle to what I just saw.

what the

watch the restttttttttt

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I saw Welcome to Racoon City earlier in the week. I thought it was solid, and it's really good looking and well shot. I read that they tried to capture the tone of RE2 Remake, and I would say they definitely succeeded in that.

However, the third act and climax feels more than a little bit rushed, and I wish the movie was actually a bit longer to flesh things out a bit more. I was really enjoying the slow pacing of the first two thirds of the movie.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I watched the Rob Zombie Halloween movies a couple days ago, and I am no of the opinion that Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 is perhaps the best slasher sequel of all time. That movie goes hard.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Introduced my friend to Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Halloween, and Texas Chain Saw Massacre in that order because I put on Nightmare on a whim since he mentioned not having seen it before, and then realized he hadn't seen any of them before so we just committed to a reverse order.

It was an interesting way to watch those movies, and he mentioned how none of them were exactly what he expected. Revisiting Texas Chain Saw Massacre was especially great because I forgot just how incredibly oppressive the atmosphere of that movie is.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Took a chance last night on the movie Madhouse (1981) on Arrow's streaming service expecting some fun shlock. I didn't quite get full on shlock, but I felt distinctly impressed with the performances out of the villains. Definitely worth a watch.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Burkion posted:

You need to watch Mechanical Violator Hakaider

The aesthetics are goddamn on point with this- I genuinely mistook it as the main characters of that for a moment before realizing its PG

This was a film I stumbled upon on tubi and it just plain blew me away.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Maniac Cop 2 feels like the best movie I'm going to watch all month.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It seems to me like they had way too many subjects they wanted this movie to be about, but just didn't develop any of them. The original film manages to say quite a bit about the meat industry and how vile it is, while this just seems to gesture at a hot topic idea

Gentrification, racism, cancel culture, classism, school shootings, police brutality, and revenge all come up in this movie but I do not think I could tell you what the movie's position on any of them even is

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Thinking it's time I focus on Italian horror for a while now. Seen a few Fulci, Argento, and Bava's and they all go so hard.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wish I could have seen Mad God in a theater but the nearest showing was an hour drive for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

Only an hour? Poser.

Driving in California is misery