Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I just listened to the most recent faculty of horror podcast (everyone should check this out) where they discuss Ravenous. The hosts felt that the movie didn’t really have homoerotic/gay subtext, in part due to the implication that the bad guy would be seducing the good guy into being gay, which seems too problematic for the film to have intended. I think those undertones definitely exist in the film, and that they are maybe about how the bad guy adopts patriarchal/toxicly masculine attitudes toward all consumption and pleasure, eventually being thwarted by the more feminine/androgynous good guy. What do other folks think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

So over the course of the horror threads I’ve gotten some really amazing recommendations for Found Footage, which is basically my favorite genre. Maybe I just really like that sense of voyeurism, given that I chose to be a therapist and spend my day heating people’s secrets. Anyway, I was wondering if there are any awesome found footage horror things I’ve yet to see. Ima do a list below of what I know of in no particular order.

Blair Witch
Grave Encounters 1 and 2
Paranormal Activity
VHS 1, 2, and 3
REC 1 and 2
Butterfly Kisses
Without Warning
Savagelands
The Borderlands
Tokyo Videos of Horror
WNUF Halloween Special
Ghostwatch
Noroi: the curse
Afflicted
As above so below
Lake Mungo
Hellhouse LLC
Willow Creek
The Pyramid
They’re Watching
The Visit
Area 51
Unfriended 1 and 2
Creep 1 and 2
Devils Pass
The Den
The Bay
The Conspiracy
The Last Exorcism
Troll Hunter
Cloverfield

Suggested by others: (* if I’ve seen it)
Incident at Lake County: Alien Abudction
The McPherson Tape
*S&Man (must watch)
The Last Broadcast (sucks but has historical significance.)
Home Movie (is okay.)
*Europa Report
*The Tunnel (2011)
Koji Shiraishi has a few other found footage movies that aren't as good as Noroi but worth a watch (Occult, Shirome, Cult)
Man Bites Dog (more comedy than horror)
*Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
*Incident at Loch Ness (starring Werner Herzog as Werner Herzog making a movie about Loch Ness) (more comedy than horror)

Are there others that I’m missing? I’m always amazed by the things people know of that I never find mentioned in googled lists of found footage horror.

fr0id fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 31, 2019

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Timeless Appeal posted:

S&Man is a must-watch in my book. It's a hybrid documentary and found a footage horror film that almost plays like a more serious creep. But it brings up a pretty interesting thesis that we watch found footage movies because on some level the possibility that the horror is real is thrilling to us.

The Last Broadcast sucks but has historical significance.

Home Movies is okay.

Home movies is impossible to google. What year was it?

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

MacheteZombie posted:

At this point I'll settle for a recipe and cooking instructions for his famous Eggo Burger

Regular Klondike bar sandwiched between two regular egos. Chased with a shot of buttermilk (My touch).

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Null of Undefined posted:

Watched Hell House LLC last night and loved it. Gave me nightmares. I don’t wanna watch the sequels but geef does so...

Having seen them both, don’t. They’re boring and don’t add anything.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

So I’m far more active in the scream stream discord and I’ve decided to spend next week streaming found footage movies every night over Kast, starting this Sunday. My chosen categories are: Mainstream, Special Effects Heavy/Big Budget, Fauxcumentary, Anthology, Foreign, Meta, and Personal Favorites. I’m open to suggestions if something fits better than what I’ve already picked out. Also join in! I’ll be playing the movies starting 8 EST each night. May also do a pizza contest or something I dunno. Whatever the found footage equivalent is. Dumpster diving?

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

What would you

Stryder posted:

You should include The Bay (2012) because it's not only a pretty good found footage film, you can say "From the director of The Natural, Good Morning Vietnam, and Rain Man comes a new name in terror..."

Also, [REC] or As Above So Below seem like the obvious choices for a foreign category entry, but having just finally seen One Cut of the Dead, I freaking loved it and more people should see it. If you want to count that as "found footage".

Where would you suggest I put the bay my categories are:
Favs: VHS 2, Hellhouse, Noroi (ALL SHUDDER)
Meta: grave encounters 2, Butterfly Kisses, (BOTH PRIME)Peeping Tom (RENT) OR one cut of the dead (SHUDDER)
Mainstream: Blair Witch (PRIME), Paranormal Activity (PLEX), Unfriended (HBO)
Foreign: troll hunter (RENT), rec (PLEX), g asylum (PRIME)
Fauxcumentary: ghostwatch (PLEX), lake mungo (PLEX), Leslie Vernon (PRIME)
Anthology: VHS 1 (RENT), Southbound (PRIME), Creep (NETFLIX)
Big budget: Cloverfield (NETFLIX), As Above So Below (NETFLIX), Final Prayer The Borderlands (RENT)

A few of the third films are added for fun to lacking categories. Maybe replace Leslie Vernon with the bay?

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Hey SuperMechaGodzilla, you recommended several found footage movies a while back. For the life of me, I could not find anywhere to stream them. One of them is literally called DVD which is basically impossible to google. Do you know what streaming sites they’re on?

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Hi folks! I’m doing a stream this Saturday in honor of a friend I lost to domestic violence last year, playing The Witch, Interview with a Vampire, and Practical Magic. I made an announcement on the scream stream discord about it. Similar to Lurdiak, I’d like to play some shorts in between films. Does anyone have any favorites that fit that theme of being feminist/gay as hell and loving it/witchy? I’m looking for stuff that is pretty short, like 10 minutes or less.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

So I’m trying to remember this horror movie I watched a while back. It’s anthology. Very canadian. Frame story is a woman in an asylum. First segment is this guy who refers to himself as a cocksmith dating this woman who turns out to be in a cult and sacrifices him. Another segment has like this haunted carnival barker.

Anyone know what I’m talking about?

Edit: It’s Night Terror (1989), thanks to Arivia!

fr0id fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 19, 2021

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

In my continued quest for interesting found footage, I gave Livescream (2018) a go. The premise is that you’re watching footage of someone twitch streaming an actual haunted game.

There are a couple of things that really stuck out to me as interesting or well done. First, the acting is kind of mediocre. The streamer carries the entire movie and a lot of his reactions feel very fake or stilted. Second, the game that he is playing was actually designed on game maker software and emulates a bunch of mini game versions of different indie horror games that either became popular to stream or were frequently copied designs (think, Slender: the Eight Pages, or Five Nights at Freddie’s).

So, this combination of kind of bad acting and kind of crappy games actually manages to cohere and make this movie seem exactly like a stream you could actually watch. The streamer tries to play things up for the audience even as things get darker. They are constantly aware of being on camera and a lot of painful social awkwardness is present. The games feel very familiar, and reflect a lot of knowledge of this niche genre by the gamemaker.

Overall, I think this movie is worth a watch if you’ve ever been into horror game streaming or have some knowledge of it. Also, it has a pretty amazing ending.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

I need help identifying a found footage horror movie. I watched it on streaming within the last 7 years. It was these two dudes who were trying to document paranormal stuff and by my recollection they went to the same graveyard multiple times and either saw weird stuff or got kicked out. As the film goes on, they argue with each other about whether its worth continuing. At the end of the film they both get captured and you watch them both tied up reconciling but ultimately being killed.

Anyone have any clue what this is?

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

Sounds a bit like Digging Up The Marrow?

Like Celtic said, this movie does not have the charisma of Ray wise. It’s two schlubby dudes. The big twist is the end where they both actually get kidnapped. I think it switches to like security cameras footage of them both tied up.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

THAT’S IT! Thank you! Above average found footage, actually.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

I just want to say that when it comes to the Romero movies, the differences are night and day.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

I’m gonna say that Freddy’s dead (part 6, I guess?) is one of those movies that is more intriguing to read a description of than to watch. Freddy has killed every child in town and all that are left are grieving parents going through the motions of suburban life while in denial of how they left all of their children to die. Schools are reminders of evil. Roseanne and Tom Arnold are in a brief surreal cameo scene as grieving parents.

Sounds incredible, but the movie is so loving boring. A novelization of this idea could be very fun, albeit creatively bankrupt.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

TheKingslayer posted:

I love the part of New Nightmare where Englund is in the makeup hamming it up for the talk show crowd.

It’s yet another dream reality where it’s the 1990s but they treat it like it’s the 80s when Freddy was popular (one of the slasher villains, maybe Jason? did appear on a talk show), but also they have the final girl, whom no one cared about, as the star attraction. It’s already a weird dream reality where the cultural penetration of Freddy (pun intended why not) is vastly exaggerated. In that sense, perhaps it is a movie about Freddy’s point of view. He made this film in which his star is massive, his point of obsession is still valued, and he’s not just a sad washout who couldn’t officially kill Nancy. Meta on meta on meta. Scream is a better film, but it does lack that layer.

Edit: it was Jason https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09yOZsZuxMY

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

hahaha that is such a time-and-place cameo

Like I said, it’s so much better said than it is seen. The stars of the greatest blue collar sitcom ever have a cameo as parents in the sixth nightmare on elm street as ludicrous grief stricken parents of a town whose children have all been killed. Sounds amazing. Plays so boring.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

It’s pronounced giallo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Howdy everyone. This year’s Scream Stream thread is posted, with permission from MacheteZombie. Head to the discord and tune in this Friday, October 7th for the first double feature of the month.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4013985&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1