Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

It Chapter 2 (and the first one to a lesser extent) definitely has the DNA of stuff like Evil Dead 2 and Drag Me to Hell in it.

The Pomeranian is the best example of this to me. It's set up as a gag, but there's the constant menace that it could instantly flip into a horrific scene, but then the characters make a joke of the fact that it could turn horrific at any second and the obviousness of that fact.

I liked the movie quite a bit. It's definitely not perfect and it has some weaknesses compared to the book, but it was fun and the monster design was excellent. The King cameo is a must-see and was my second favorite King performance after Creepshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Alternate hosts between Elvira and the Cryptkeeper. If the puppet's too expensive to recreate or held up in some HBO rights issues just put John Kassir in some old man makeup, let him make puns, and call him the Vault-Keeper and have him make reference to his old pal that runs a Crypt.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Maximum Overdrive was my first pick for last year's horror marathon thread, and I did not find it a fun watch by any means. Hearing Lisa Simpson's voice actress use a bad southern accent and evil vehicles circling a diner for most the duration of the film is not my idea of a good time. It was the most dysfunctional, barely-a-movie mess I had seen up until Star Trek 5 later on.

I watched this movie a lot as a kid, God knows why, and my Dad absolutely hated it. He called it a "sweaty, gross movie" which is a hell of a good way to put it. King was high as a loving kite while directing this (just watch the trailer if you want to see for yourself) and it shows.

It's not even worth it to watch once because it's incredibly boring and stupid for 90% of its runtime. You can youtube all the good bits and listen to the soundtrack, that's all you need. Nobody needs a bunch of sweaty losers hanging out at a gas station for an hour while trucks angrily beep at them.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Nth-ing the recommendations for Tammy and the T-Rex.

Watched it on Shudder based off a handful of gifs I saw posted online. Thoroughly enjoyed this insane, gore filled, way too horny high school romantic comedy.

I kind of want to see the PG-13 version just to see how they edit around that stuff. Like does that one dude still get flattened and rolled up like a rug? If not, is that whole conversation between the scientists removed? Does the weird scientist that gets his head bit off just disappear from the PG-13 version?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

bit late to Us chat but - Get Out managed to unnerve me and bring some good memorable spooks but I don't think I ever really felt scared or in peril in Us. it's very entertaining but I wasn't super spooked by it - possibly because it was telegraphing some twist from the start? I dunno

I really enjoyed Us, maybe even more than Get Out, but it wasn't really scary at all. More sci-fi than horror to me. The first few shots of the Tethered family in the driveway were the only real scares for me.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I watched Scare Package this weekend and really enjoyed it, although the Goo Monster segment was BY FAR my favorite part. The only duds were the Omega symbol/TV spoilers one and the lollipop one. They weren't funny or weird enough for the anthology. I also have no nostalgia for Joe Bob Briggs so his cameo fell a little flat, but I still liked the whole wraparound segment.

I'm excited for VHS '94, too. The first two movies are some of my favorite found footage, even though the third one is pure garbage. The alien abduction and the crazy cult segments are my favorites.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Untrustable posted:

Anyone have opinions about Scare Me on Shudder? I just finished it and really, really liked it.

I really enjoyed it but felt like the ending fell a little flat for me. The concept of the movie was amazing, I loved the chemistry between all of the characters, and the mix of humor and tension was great. But at the end I felt kind of disappointed.

I might just be really dumb and missing some message, though. The twist of the main guy being a piece of poo poo was handled well, but his death felt really anti-climactic to me, I dunno.

I still really recommend watching it, though. My wife and I watched it with all the lights off in the house and it was the perfect vibe.

I also watched WNUF Halloween Special last night, which I absolutely loved and am now slightly obsessed with. I remember my local news station doing a similar "walk through a haunted house" thing one Halloween night, so this thing hit a really sweet spot for me. It was funny, inventive, and built suspense really well. I recommend you going into this one without reading a single thing, though.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

gey muckle mowser posted:

Just watched Anything for Jackson on Shudder, and it was pretty good! It’s a borderline horror/comedy that doesn’t quite lean into the comedy part enough for my taste (it’s got some absurd bits but I never really laughed or anything), but it’s inventive and original and has a lot of fun parts. It seems like it’s going to be a slow burn at the start but it gets pretty wild before long.

It isn’t movie of the year or anything but it was a pleasant surprise.

I watched this last night and loved it. The comedy was pretty perfectly paced, it mostly all came from character interactions and the insanity of the scenario ramping up. My wife described it as "Fargo if William H Macy was a Satanist" which felt pretty accurate.

My absolute favorite scare was the trick or treat sheet ghost that turned from a little girl into a weirdly proportioned giant lanky thing although the scares in general were excellent in this.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

feedmyleg posted:

Holy poo poo you are not kidding. This is vastly better than the first season. So much better directed written, acted, effects, concepts, everything. It apes the Creepshow movie incredibly well. This is exactly what I wished the first season was.

Highly recommend for anyone who didn't like the first.

I enjoyed the first season overall (minus a few duds) but this new season is off to an amazing start so far.

I know the first season had an incredibly short schedule for filming and post-production, which led to a lot of the jankiness.

They've had a lot more time this season (and possibly a bigger budget?) so everything is much more polished. I mean, the freaking Gill-man and Mummy costumes were top-notch, Gill-man especially looked amazing .

And as somebody who lives in Pittsburgh, I loved the second story so much.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

david_a posted:

Wait, so there’s a live action Creepshow series too? I tried watching the motion-comic thing but I was out off pretty early - it would have been more tolerable with static images instead of janky marionettes, honestly.

Season 1 was live action, then they did 2 motion comic episodes during the worst of Covid. After that we got a Christmas special which was live action, and Season 2 premiered yesterday.

If you were watching on Shudder I think the specials were grouped differently than the main show.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I watched A Quiet Place Part II this weekend (in theaters!!!) and it was fine.

Didn't really break any new ground from the first movie, it felt like it was playing it mostly safe and just using the same characters to explore a bit more of the outside world. There's stuff I liked for sure, and Cillian Murphy was really good in it, but it didn't really stick with me much after I left the theater.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Malignant was wild and super fun, I loved this movie. Probably the highest recommendation I can give is to go see this, you might not love it but you're going to remember it.

From the beginning I expected Gabriel to have been an excised twin that survived and grew up, and that Maddie's blow to the head woke up a psychic link so the revelation that he was actually just popping out of her brain and controlling her body caught me totally by surprise.

I'd definitely say it's Giallo-inspired, but not nearly as much as some of the early reviews I read were saying. I was expecting like... direct homages to specific movies, this was more just in the vein of that.

Also someone brought a baby to the theater I saw it in, and the baby started crying about 5 seconds into the movie. They quieted it down, but still.... who's bringing a baby to an R rated horror movie?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Chris James 2 posted:

Possession is now available to stream on Shudder

One of the greatest films of all time imo

I really loved this but felt exhausted both physically and mentally afterwards.

It seemed to channel the energy of a really bad breakup in a way I've never seen before. The outright horror stuff was great, but seeing Sam Neill violently rocking in a chair and shoving clothes into a freezer as he "cleans up" will stick with me for a LONG time.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I saw Skinamarink last night. It was honestly one of the scariest things I've ever seen. I know some of it is jumpscares, but there's so much tension built up throughout the whole movie. The lack of much narrative just had me on edge the whole time, since I had no clue what was coming next.

At the end the entire theater was just kind of silent and wandered out, that hadn't happened to me since Hereditary. As my wife and I were leaving a guy asked us if the movie freaked us out as much as it did him, and I was just like "yeah".

That said I can totally understand why someone would hate this.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

SilentChaz posted:

Hopefully more people will be able to appreciate Art in fall 2024 (:dadjoke:) because a wide theatrical release is planned for Terrifier 3.

I watched the first Terrifier and thought it was fine. Really incredible practical effects but the movie itself was just fine. Watched the 2nd one since it's now free on Tubi. Again, incredible practical effects but nothing else grabbed me. It's 2 hours of extremely well-done gore , though.

That said, I am VERY happy that a low budget horror movie can do so well in theaters. There was a stretch where it felt like theaters were only going to playing the next billion dollar superhero movie, but this shows there's always a market for horror of all kinds.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Unironically give Art etiher a time machine or a space ship.

Or give us Psycho Goreman vs Terrifier.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

This past weekend was the Living Dead Weekend Monroeville, a (hopefully permanent) annual convention celebrating George Romero in the Monroeville Mall, where Dawn of the Dead was filmed.

https://www.thelivingdeadweekend.com/monroeville/

This was one of the most fun conventions I've ever been to. They had basically every recognizable zombie from that movie that's still alive and was able to come. They did discussion panels which were great, just tons of wild stories about filming the movie. I'm from Pittsburgh and it was great to talk to the people who are still local and find out if they stuck with acting or moved into other fields. One guy became a hot air balloon operator.

But the highlight of the weekend was finding the address of the house they filmed for the opening and closing of Creepshow. I knew it was somewhere local, but the owners of the house were at the convention and I talked to them. They gave me the address, so my wife and I drove out and got some pictures in front of it. And I found out it's about 5 minutes from my office, just tucked away in a little residential area. They even put a pumpkin in the window and a trashcan outside to really recreate how it looked back then.

There's another convention in October out at Evans City, where they filmed Night of the Living Dead, and I'll probably check that out if my schedule's open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Leatherhead posted:

Price is great, I love Witchfinder General and his Poe stuff (and really need to check out Phibes) but man I just couldn't vibe with House on Haunted Hill. It was really disappointing because I know some people in this thread absolutely love it, but it just did nothing for me.
If any big fans can articulate why they love it so much, I'd be interested to read it!

It's just a really well written whodunnit with a lot of fun characters.

I first saw it in high school; it was the end of the year and one of my science teachers put it on. We were a bunch of cynical teens but it hooked almost everybody, there's just something about it. People starting laughing at the ending with the skeleton but when Price shows up again we were totally hooked again. I think that's the movie in general - a lot smarter than you'd think at first glance or from just reading a plot synopsis.

I also think the old lady gliding into the room is one of the greatest jump scares of all time. Something about the timing of it or the music sting or the lighting. I could rewatch that scene alone 100 times.