Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
It's not exactly a detective, but I think Night of the Demon/Curse of the Demon would qualify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
So I just re-watched Halloween 3 and I was always curious, was Ellie replaced by a robot? Or was she always a robot and Tom Atkins hosed a robot without knowing? The latter is way more entertaining to me.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Just watched New Year's Evil and I can confirm it owns. If you go in looking for Christmas Evil, you'll probably be disappointed though.

Franchescanado posted:

Is there another slasher or horror flick that I can watch? I'm down to rewatch one of those, but I'd like to have a new one.

Well, there's always Phantom Carriage. I've also heard that Ghostkeeper is a good time but I haven't been able to track it down yet.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah they were pretty fast and loose with things. iirc right before closing down they had announced they were going to do a spider-man movie. There was zero work put into this beyond that announcement.

The Cannon Spider-Man went through a bunch of different scripts (the infamous James Cameron one was actually heavily based on an existing script) and about as many directors too. I'm not confident that any of them actually got to the point where they actually did work though. It seems more likely that they were all just names so Cannon could sell the movie to other markets. This poster has Tobe Hooper listed:

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I love all the Phantasms, but 2 and 5 and tied with being the weakest for me. I didn't watch all of the marathon as I'd watched through them earlier in the year, but just in case Joe Bob didn't bring it up, part 5 originally started out as a web-series. Which is why it wasn't directed by Coscarelli and part of why it looks so cheap. I do think it's a fun time though.

I kind of think they'd be a better experience without Joe Bob just because they're all pretty slipshod from a narrative standpoint and having them interrupted every so often just breaks the flow too much.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Drunkboxer posted:

Is The Changeling the first movie to do the spooky ball bouncing down the stairs thing?

edit: maybe not exactly the first I guess but I’ve not seen the earlier examples here:

https://youtu.be/iFgHPPAHUnM

Oh man, you definitely need to see Kill, Baby, Kill. It's one of Bava's best. The (original) Twin Peaks series finale swipes a few things from it too.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Scream 3 has some weirdness to it because it was entirely re-written a few weeks before filming due to Columbine, but I still like the way the movie ended up even if it isn't quite as good as the other entires.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Do you know what changes they had to make? I've never heard of this before.

There's an article here that goes over what was altered more in-depth: http://wickedhorror.com/features/script-pieces-kevin-williamsons-scream-3/

It was re-written from the ground up. The original script (by Kevin Williamson) had Matthew Lillard's character return as the killer and a a cult of high-schoolers become the Ghostface killer. The move to Hollywood in the final film was done out of necessity as the movie was kept on the same schedule and there was almost no time to secure locations. It isn't mentioned in the article, but I've heard that Craven ended up writing most of the returning cast's dialog due to Kruger's characterization not matching the previous films. (It's been suggested that Carrie Fisher did re-writes as well, which is partly why she has a cameo.)

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Tolkien minority posted:

There was this random 70s/80s slasher about a serial rapist killer photographer I watched on prime earlier this year I remember being particularly nasty and uncomfortable but for the life of me I cannot find or remember the name of the movie now

Maybe Double Exposure?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, Fulci's always good for some head (especially eye) trauma.

Fulci seems have a rule that is "if there's a sharp object, it must go through someone's head."

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
It's been years since I've seen the Karloff Mummy but those movies are kind of neat as a proto-slasher series.

Also, it's insane because each sequel takes a huge time jump to the point that the final one is set in 1995 even though it's blatantly the 40s.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
For anybody who has seen both, is Body Melt better or worse than Street Trash?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
That he comes back to life because two idiots decide to look at his corpse comes straight from Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman, where the same thing happens with the wolfman. It's great. I love the James Bond thing they do with Jason too.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

K. Waste posted:

That movie owns so much, and not just because of titties (though those are quite nice)

The Horror Thread: That movie owns so much, and not just because of titties (though those are quite nice)

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Windows 98 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97x2y1Ks2tk

It should be a crime for YouTube to compress this to 480p after I went through so much trouble getting a european sourced 576p copy. It completely loses all the detail in YouTube compression. Anyway, it may look marginally better than other copies on YouTube.

If you have a Vimeo account I think you can upload it as 540p if that helps.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Friends Are Evil posted:

The Prowler's a real middle of the road slasher, but the Jersey vibes make it worth it. Also, the gore is straight-up nasty. Tom Savini flexing so hard he should make a workout tape.

Real glad Shudder actually lists what's leaving so I can fill some gaps.

Where do they list that? I can't find it.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Friends Are Evil posted:

It keeps listing a category on my front page that says “Last Chance”.

Thanks! I was checking under the collections page.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Mandy actually couldn't win an academy award because it didn't run in theaters for long enough before going to VOD per their weirdo rules.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
https://twitter.com/joe_dante/status/1090782866202476544
https://twitter.com/joe_dante/status/1090783263247949824

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Speaking of Boggy Creek, the director's daughter is helping with a 4K restoration on it and it is far and away the best looking I've ever seen the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEvbmZoD8Us

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
https://twitter.com/Collider/status/1093290757409128448

:regd08:

Although I guess they already did before, so why not a third fourth time?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Speaking of, is Abby available anywhere in good quality? I remember it popping up on Shudder forever ago but it was a VHS rip. Probably the best I've ever seen it looking is in the excerpts in Horror Noire.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Fall Break (or The Mutilator) has an opening theme that's a real hoot for a slasher movie. It sounds like the intro for a sitcom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR5q3b-xhCo

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Oh yeah, TerrorVision rules. Everybody go watch TerrorVision. It has a cool-rear end monster, is 80s as hell in all the best ways, and features Gerrit Graham and Mary Woronov.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
H20 even cites Scream within the film by having a scene where somebody watches Scream 2 on TV, which means that Halloween is somehow also a film series within the world of H20.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Honestly, I'm not really interested in Scream without Wes Craven.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

escape artist posted:

Dammit people, what gems are on Shudder that I need to check out before my subscription is up?

Beyond the aforementioned Dark Waters and Quiet Earth, (a couple of these are essentials but still):

mon mon mon MONSTERS
Big Man Japan
The Exorcist III
Wolfguy
Ms .45
The Visitor
StageFright

Also, if you go through the menu to leave Shudder, they'll give you an option for a free month.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Pomp posted:

You'd need someone who feels pretentious, and bored but also believably capable of extreme violence so the bald guy from Mandy and John Malkovich

Bald Nicolas Cage

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
There was some discussion of Eli Roth's horror tv show a few pages, but Shudder has uncut interviews from it on their site. Has anybody watched these? Would they be better than the actual show? They range between half an hour (with Josh Hartnett) to two and a half hours (with Rob Zombie/Greg Nicotero).

e: Wait, they seem to just be audio for some reason.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
That scene where George C. Scott is talking about the fish in his bathtub is so freaking good.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I've only been able to make it through the first four Hellraisers and from what I understand they get even worse after that, so godspeed

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Fart City posted:

real talk if I was Tony Todd and playing Candyman I would have put into my contract the exact amount of bees I would accept being on my face and then demanded that the crew count said bees every day before the camera started rolling.

Extra bee?

Good news, we're all doing a half day today.

I heard that it was in his contract to be paid an extra $1,000 if he got stung. He was stung 23 times.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Basically, Candyman was a terrifying experience for everyone involved, entirely due to the bees.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Anybody here seen Confessions of an Opium Eater? It's a pretty wild Vincent Price vehicle from the early 60s that does a great job of imitating a fever dream.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

M_Sinistrari posted:

I love this film. Criterion edition is way worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tctHCMAi8jw

This is one of the best movie trailers ever made.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Goddamn, RIP Larry Cohen.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So I watched Inferno last night and I was struck by how wholly inferior it was to Suspiria, to the level that it almost felt like it was made by an imitator of Argento than the man himself.

Its weird because he has other movies that reach that same level as Suspiria, but the direct sequel lacked the tension and atmosphere of the first in a way that felt kind of jarring

I've heard conflicting reports over the years about Mario Bava directing significant portions of Inferno, which is weird because it doesn't really feel like a Bava movie either.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Whatever happened to that movie Dario Argento was making with Iggy Pop?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
The worst aspect of Land of the Dead is that Bob Hoskins isn't in it, so they didn't go all-in as a Super Mario Bros sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I've yet to see the Rob Zombie Halloweens, but for me it goes:

Halloween
Halloween III
All the other ones, no idea what order
Halloween: The One with Paul Rudd