Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I've only ever seen the first Friday the 13th and, honestly, didn't really like it. But I've been led to believe that the sequels are better, so I'm giving Jason another shot.

What movie (or what two movies, tops) should I watch to see the best the series has to offer? Preferably something with Kane Hodder, and bonus points if it's available to stream for free somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Windows 98 posted:

Does anyone have any tips for actually deciding on what to watch instead of scrolling for eternity until I turn into dust

I used to get choice paralysis with streaming services. You have to learn that there's no "right choice" and just pull the trigger on something that looks neat.

If you spend more than five minutes looking for a movie that might also mean that you're not in the mood for a movie.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

Full Moon High was a lot more fun than I was expecting. I guess I should know by now not to underestimate Larry Cohen.

I was just thinking that I need to watch more Larry Cohen movies. I love Q and The Stuff, where should I go next?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Zwabu posted:

Someone asked about horror movies involving twins recently. Shudder just now added The Other, from the 70s, first time I've seen this film available anywhere for a while. It's kind of ... tame as far as violence or gore but it's creepy and will scratch the itch of anyone into good twin/evil twin stories.

Just watched this tonight. There are a few things about the movie that feel extremely predictable, but those threads are wrapped up in the first hour and then the final thirty minutes are off the rails in a way that really blindsided me. I'd recommend it, with the small caveat that you need to give it time to go to work.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

If anyone is still looking for grave robbing movies, I just watched Hammer Horror's Curse of Frankenstein earlier this week and really enjoyed it. Lots of corpse theft and part-picking by Peter Cushing's Frankenstein.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Have a couple requests for the thread. I'm looking for a movie inspired by Carmilla and also a movie with Chinese hopping vampires.

I'm okay with subtitles and the age of the movie doesn't bother me. Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

M_Sinistrari posted:

Just curious, but why aren't you into horror books?

While we're on the topic, what's a good resource for finding horror novel recommendations? I just read "The Cabin at the End of the World" and now I need something else.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Tart Kitty posted:

But it got me to thinking; when was the last time zombies were truly scary? I'm wracking my brain and I can't think of much recently. And I'm talking real-deal Zombie zombies.

I think the last zombie movie to actually get under my skin was [REC], and that was 2007.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Never seen any of the Exorcist sequels. Can I skip 2 and go straight to 3 or is there direct continuity?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Origami Dali posted:

There's no relation to 2 at all. Skip it.

Hell yeah! Thanks for the quick response.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Seyser Koze posted:

So this is like House of Leaves: the Movie?

It doesn't play with physical space the way House of Leaves does, but there's a similarity in the way it manages its frame story.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

What is some good non horror, horror stuff to you guys? Like, stuff that doesn’t fit the horror mold at all, but still manages to invoke fear, dread etc. and give you the same general vibe you get watching a good horror film.

Ever seen Phone Booth? That movie doesn't get enough credit.

Edit: Coherence is maybe an inch or two over the line and into horror territory, but it's another possibility. Ex Machina, too.

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 6, 2019

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

I personally didn't find the flashbacks jarring but I was very comfortable with the Tarrantino-esque "chapters" flow of the narrative. So the little flashback interludes between chapters worked fine for me. Obviously if you prefer a more fluid narrative or don't like that kind of storytelling I can see how they'd be more disruptive.

Same here. I chuckled a bit at the flashback within a flashback, but it takes more than that to ruin my entire viewing experience.

The Perfection is not an AFI Top 100 candidate but it's good trashy fun. I recommend it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

alf_pogs posted:

SWAMP THING is still good fun three episodes in. I'm still wondering why it was axed so early

Rumors were going around a few weeks ago that it was because of a botched tax credit that wound up making season one too expensive.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Ate a big ol' bowl of ramen and a heaping plate of karaage and watched Midsommar on a very full stomach. You guys are overselling the gore.

Anyway, movie good. Not quite as good as Hereditary but very, very good.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

ReapersTouch posted:

Thought it was alright until the near end. I looked up the ending and glad I did. Fast forwarded it to the very end. No thanks.

Hagazussa's ending is one of the few things to ever make me feel queasy in a film. Take it on yourself whether that's an endorsement or not.

I don't think Hagazussa is a great movie, but it's consistently beautiful and takes a wild turn at the very end so it's definitely worth checking out. I think it's so minimalist that it ultimately winds up shooting itself in the foot, though. Really feels like a movie made by a cinematographer. Would've been nice to have more defined characters, but that would require dialog so here's a twenty second shot of some trees instead.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

s.i.r.e. posted:

What's a soyboy?

It's what Internet Nazis call people who aren't Internet Nazis.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Henry and Serbian Film are both babby's first xtreme movie and theyre both...not great. Well Henry's a good movie, I think it's overrated but it's still a good movie. Serbian Film is just hot garbage.

I'm not sure anyone would put Henry on a list of "xtreme movies" with A Serbian Film, though. It's reputation comes from its tone, not any onscreen gore.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

The Babadook kid is an amazing actor. He's supposed to be annoying.

Agreed. If the kid was a little angel there'd be no way the audience could sympathize with the mother

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Shrecknet posted:

Here's my opinion of Autopsy of Jane Doe, charted:

Same, honestly. The movie really pulls you in with its core mystery just to push you back out with a lot of unnecessary running around. It's like they were afraid to just make a spooky autopsy mystery in a morgue and shoved in a "gettin' chased by the spooks!" scene every twenty minutes. And every time the scene just kinda resolves itself with no real action on the part of the characters. By the end of the movie I just didn't care anymore.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

https://twitter.com/FANGORIA/status/1151962374229909518?s=19

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Shrecknet posted:

Thinking abput action-horror (ALIENS) and sci-fi horror (Terminator); why isnt there Romantic Horror? Warm Bodies is the only one I can think of, but that's silly because statistically more women see horror movies than men.

Most vampire stories are about sex and/or romance. There are dozens (if not hundreds) of worthwhile examples. I'm particularly fond of Thirst.

There's also stuff like Spring and Nina Forever kicking around.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

The evidence is circumstantial but he's basically a nazi.

What is that circumstantial evidence? Not defending him, just curious.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

BLUNDERCATS! noooo posted:

How's everyone using Shudder now? I canceled it via Prime when they announced it'd be leaving Amazon, subscribed to VRV to get it, then a few weeks ago it left VRV too. I want to be able to stream it to my PS4 but it looks like the options are all gone?

I basically bought a Chromecast just for Shudder.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

Ready or Not is a lot of fun, even though it doesn't quite stick the landing.

That's interesting. I feel like the movie starts and finishes strong but has a really weak middle.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

The ending is Deus Ex Machina with a bit of a fake out. Not bad but still felt like a bit of a letdown. Alex turning on her was also kind of dumb.

It's a better, funnier You're Next

I can see that. I personally enjoyed Ready or Not's ending based simply on the fact that it made me laugh. The husband's heel turn was necessary but too sudden--if the middle of the film was anything but the bride running from the butler they might have done something more interesting with the character.

I appreciate how straightforward and simple the movie is, but I do wish there had been some kind of reversal or new wrinkle to the plot at the midway point. As it is the movie feels a little monotone.

Anyway, good movie. Not great, but good.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

InfiniteZero posted:

You've had some great recommendations thrown your way so I'm going to make a crazy recommendation of a film that entirely feels like it was made in Italy, specifically by Dario Argento, but was somehow actually made in Australia instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnMvCUlCAmI

Australiargento!

(oh yeah and it's from 1982 -- there are several films with the same name and you don't want the wrong one)

Next of Kin is great. It just got a Blu-Ray release in the states from Arrow Video and it's streaming on Shudder, last I checked. I think most people in this thread would really like it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Edit: Nevermind.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

Speaking of Grady Hendrix. Satanic Panic is not good and you shouldn't bother with it unless you can see it for free.

I watched it over the weekend and I thought it was fine. Definitely not great, but I enjoyed it. I laughed out loud a few times and there are some great practical effects (and one or two that are hilariously bad and only endeared the movie to me more).

My biggest complaint is that it's shot like an episode of a sitcom. Static cameras pointing at small crowds of people, always at eye level. The movie is just consistently boring to look at.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Kinda surprised to see Deadgirl on so many poo poo lists. It's been a decade or more since I watched it but I remember it being a pretty funny critique of toxic masculinity.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Blast Fantasto posted:

One of the most horseshit things in horror mythology is how people minimize Tobe Hooper's contribution to Poltergeist.

Don't know why that just popped into my head, but gently caress that. He directed that poo poo

Didn't that all start with a Variety editor who saw Spielberg shooting some second unit stuff and assumed that Spielberg was just making the entire movie?

Spielberg tried to fight it, to his credit, but the damage was already done.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

I got to see One Cut of the Dead in theaters last night. My crowd was small but way into it, probably my best theater experience since Mandy.

Definitely check it out when you get a chance.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

el oso posted:

One Cut of the Dead is absolutely fantastic. There's not really any horror in it but any horror fan should love it. Very creative and fun. Can't wait to watch it again.

It is, without any hyperbole, my favorite movie of the year so far.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

I watched the Child's Play reboot (re-imagining?) tonight and it's pretty fuckin' solid. I was honestly surprised how much I liked it. It has a couple great kills and even made me laugh out loud a few times.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Anonymous Robot posted:

Also, is there no way to just “view all Shudder titles” on prime? I can only sort by their “featured” titles list, and I know they have more than this.

I think this is everything. Found it by Googling "amazon video shudder."

https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Video-Shudder/s?rh=n%3A2858778011%2Cp_n_subscription_id%3A12744440011

It's not laid out very well, but then again, neither is the actual Shudder website.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

wormil posted:

The CGI looked bad in the trailer, how is it in the film?

It's fine. It only stood out to me in a couple spots. Chucky's a doll, so he doesn't trip your uncanny valley reflex like, say, a giant CG Peter Cushing.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Splint Chesthair posted:

Man, if you ever wanted a horror movie that’s 25 percent dudes arguing about who’s taking a board game home, Witchboard is for you.

My favorite thing about Witchboard is that it contains multiple scenes of people arguing about spelling.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

FreudianSlippers posted:

I made a twitter to randomly post gifs of horror title cards that I think are neat:
https://twitter.com/CardsTitle

This is good.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Boinks posted:

I just watched The Dead Don't Die and I think that was the worst god drat movie I have ever seen in my life.

Without having seen the film I'm going to say that it's safely out of "worst movie I've ever seen" range for most of the people in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

david_a posted:

Humanoids from the Deep is a notably sleazy example.

Humanoids from the Deep is loved exactly as much as it deserves.