Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Bluedeanie posted:

Gopro hiker youtuber guy werewolf movie. he gets bit and keeps hiking and later reviews his footage in horror as it turns out he turned into a monster and ate a bunch of campers on that night he couldnt remember.
Minus the werewolf part, this is kind of what happens in Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

I never saw the remake but holy cow if it's worse than The Rage: Carrie 2 I doubt I ever will. Though I didn't like, DESPISE Carrie 2, it was just wasn't very good.
I mean Carrie 2 has an ending where a bunch of Fred-Durst-looking proto-chuds get slaughtered, and I'm willing to take that where I can get it.

quote:

Wasn't there an attempt at a Carrie TV pilot a couple of times too as well as a made for TV movie in like 2009 or something? What a weird property.
Broadway. Musical.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I... don't think Moby is going to be much help to me :(

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Hollismason posted:

drat Shudder just added Gremlins , Gremlins 2 and Army of Darkness.
They're adding Cheap Thrills on the 11th. A previous iteration of this very thread led me to that movie a couple of years ago and it's GODDAMN AMAZING.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

There's an upcoming movie that I was really excited about, that's like a mockumentary about a cursed film? It's shown at festivals but hasn't had a wide release yet... Anthrum or Arthum or something? Someone please remind me what the gently caress it's called.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Thaaaaat's it. Thank you. I'm eagerly awaiting that coming out on video but there haven't been any updates :/

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

For a while the Antrum filmmakers were releasing clips on YouTube (in the form of interviews about the film-within-a-film) but they stopped about a year ago. Here are the five that came out: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJKA-uZaIXPL6DHdPpKLHyd2xJXh2VyLP

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Every one of these I see is somehow worse than the last, but "Teen 3 makes a scream. Teen 4 makes a Scream 2." got a giggle out of me.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Michael Myers walks out of a scene in movie #1 and at the same time enters a scene in movie #2. The only way to get the full effect is to watch both films, simultaneously, on side by side tvs.
Sliding Doors but it's a slasher movie.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

So apparently the two Halloween sequels are gonna be called "Halloween Kills" and "Halloween Ends". Uggggghhhhhhh
They could at least have used a little prosody and called them Halloween Kills and Halloween Dies.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I was 11 when Species came out so it seemed to me like a super serious and legitimately scary horror movie. At that point I wasn't used to seeing like, spines graphically ripped out of people and that kinda thing.
A while back I watched a bunch of "Top 10 _______ Kills" clip compilations on YouTube, and one of them was "Top 10 Toilet Kills" and that scene wasn't even on it :mad:

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

My dream Del Toro movie would be if he directed that never-produced script The Tourist which had HR Geiger creature designs and stuff and was about how there's aliens on earth posing as humans but they're exiles from their home planet and living on earth as a human is like a super degrading punishment.

https://www.hrgiger.com/tourist.htm

https://thestorydepartment.com/screenwriting-the-greatest-science-fiction-screenplay-never-produced/
According to David Hughes in Tales from Development Hell, the concept eventually developed into Men in Black.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

This discussion works well with Butterfly Kisses, a faux doc about ff
The Fourth Kind is another one of these, with another layer added where some scenes are presented as re-enactments of real events, but we also see the "actual" found footage on which those dramatic re-enactments are supposedly based.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Are there any horror movies in the style of a Ken Burns doc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmUKahEvcZ4

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I just got the Region B LE of Rabid from 101 Films and was comparing the extras to the Region A from Scream Factory (they're the same 2K scan but totally different extras) here: http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=30837

What's the "Super 8 Version" that's exclusive to the Scandinavian Region B?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Just watched Hell House LLC III on Shudder. The first one was really great but unfortunately it might have been lightning in a bottle. Part 2 is crap (and boring to boot) and while the new one is better it's still not good.

The second one had two major flaws: bad acting (which makes it unbelievable as found footage) and a climax that really drags (because they tried to add a shitload of backstory, and it requires a huge exposition dump to make sense). In the new one, with the exception of a couple of people, the acting is significantly better. The climax is much better, too, in that at least this one gets where it's going, but it suffers from its big gore set piece looking like it was done for about $50.

All in all I guess it's about as enjoyable as your average piece of random SOV trash, but that's a disappointment considering how much I enjoyed the original. drat.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Also, HHL III has this weird coda that brings back all the characters who died in the first movie, showing them as trapped in the Abbadon Hotel No Exit-style. It doesn't come completely out of nowhere, as there are a couple of earlier scenes that kind of set this up, but the movie has too much other stuff going on to really do much with that thread, which is a shame because it's actually kind of interesting.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

The Collector does that thing that is rampant in horror movies in the early 00's where the color correction is Too Blue, so as to be "dark" and "cold", and Too Green or Too Yellow, so as to be "gritty" and "dirty", and it just looks like complete poo poo.
I've always mentally blamed Traffic for starting this. Was that actually where it came from?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think that was a SNL thing. There was just a weird time where Garth Brooks lost his mind and called himself Chris Gaines.
There's a 1999 SNL episode hosted by Garth Brooks, who was also (as "Chris Gaines") the musical guest.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

But really, I think we're overdue for somebody to just straight up make Stab into an actual movie and get William Castle with it. Have underpaid bored teenagers in every theater screening pretending to be the killer in the audience. I mean, it'd be more clever than the usual reboot.
Does Emily Mortimer play Sidney because I am living for it.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Antrum: The Deadliest Film Ever Made is finally widely available. It's on Amazon and iTunes. I'm watching it now.

edit: haha, it starts with a disclaimer and a timer giving you 30 seconds to turn it off if you don't want to die.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

My Twitter Account posted:

Antrum: The Deadliest Film Ever Made is finally widely available. It's on Amazon and iTunes. I'm watching it now.

edit: haha, it starts with a disclaimer and a timer giving you 30 seconds to turn it off if you don't want to die.
I wish that movie had killed me.

That was 100% the work of someone who made a horror movie, realized it was unreleasably terrible, and then shot ten minutes of faux-documentary footage about a spooooooky spooooooky curse to wrap around it at the beginning and end. The "lost film" angle doesn't play into it at all.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Blast Fantasto posted:

Ebert loving loved tits. Like he made no attempt to hide that poo poo, he’s basically like “the two things that matter to me are Werner Herzog and huge titties”
That’s three things :v:

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Hollismason posted:

I randomly found this on my desktop in a folder named horror. I am not sure why I have this specific clip saved to my computer. Probably posted this in the old thread.

This isn't a very good movie, but it's a fairly satisfying watch as it's extremely 1999 and all the villains who get killed are Fred-Durst-esque proto-chuds.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Origami Dali posted:

There is no good dtv Hellraiser. But yeah, Tunnicliffe as Pinhead's assistant in the last one is great.
One of them stars Dean Winters whom you may know as Liz Lemon's boyfriend Dennis.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

If anyone is bored and into graphic design, how about spending some time whipping up a Horror Thread Spook-a-Doodle gang tag? Best design will be used and distributed.

edit:

This Is the Zodiac fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 18, 2020

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Or, if you prefer your gang tags animated:

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

TheKingslayer posted:

Speaking of Blair Witch, I was pleasantly surprised giving a second look to Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2. It still wasn't great but it was a lot more watchable than I remembered it being.
Read the shooting script if you haven't already, it's on the internet somewhere. They intended to make a much better movie than what we actually got.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Any spook-a-doodle parents want to share tips on raising my offspring to love horror?
I've got a preschooler and ever since she was born she's enjoyed toys and decorations with a "spooky" aesthetic (skeletons, etc.). We watched the recent animated Addams Family movie a couple of months ago and she loves it, and I've shown her a couple of episodes of the b&w TV series too. I want to show her older stuff initially, things that aren't reliant on blood/gore obviously, but that would still be fun to watch without being too terrifying -- I'm thinking specifically of the 1931 Dracula (and/or other old Universals) or one of the Shōwa Godzillas. Suggestions?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I was a really timid kid and was well into my teens before I worked up the courage to watch a full-length horror movie. In middle school I would live vicariously through my friend Drew -- he was the kid with the cool mom who dyed her hair and was into horror movies and heavy metal -- and when a new Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th or whatever came out he would go see it and then tell me about it.

Sometimes I'd watch Tales from the Crypt on HBO, even though the Crypt-Keeper freaked me out, because sometimes it had boobs.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Shneak posted:

It sucks that the logistics of the plot fall apart thinking about it though.
Where did the knife that he kills Cecelia's sister with come from? It literally just appears. Did he somehow conceal it inside the suit without accidentally gutting himself, or did it just float unnoticed through the restaurant until it got to their table?

Why does it take her forever to grab one of the many dead hospital guards' many guns, and why doesn't she shoot Adrian while he's taunting the one guard, even though she can see he has his back to her?

I'm sure there's more, too. Ugh, this movie sucked.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Catfishenfuego posted:

A list of good horror movie adjacent podcasts:
-Switchblade Sisters
-Faculty of Horror

Fin
Horror Queers, hosted by two guys from Bloody Disgusting, is good and funny and its original concept was to mainly focus on LGBT themes in horror but has broadened to watching mainstream horror from an LGBT perspective. They include "camp" in the definition of "LGBT themes".

No-Budget Nightmares can be fun, but it is primarily "two guys watch SOV movies on YouTube, then tell you everything that happens so you don't have to watch them yourself". The hosts are good if you like that kind of thing.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

sponges posted:

Has there been any good Found Footage movies released in the past couple years? I’m always scrounging around for the drat things and I’m coming up a little short as of late.
The Taking of Deborah Logan is a few years old but it's really good. Also seconding Butterfly Kisses.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Just watched Green Room followed by The Ranger. What's another recent spook-a-doodle about punks that I can make it a triple-feature with?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

dorium posted:

Marksommer, the sequel to Midsommar.
An origin-story / prequel starring Will Poulter and his vape rig.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I haven’t seen the Marked Ones, but apparently that’s alright?
It's quite good, and also one of a very, very few mainstream US horror movies with a mostly Latinx cast.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I’m still cheesed that they’ve never released a VHS version of Paranormal Activity 3. Cowards!
I like found footage a lot, but one of my main judging criteria for it is whether the movie is believable as "found footage," and while I can understand why the filmmakers of PA3 would choose not to make most of the movie look like 20-year-old videotape, it would have been a way cooler watch if they had.

(I'm also irritated by the subtitles in "Safe Haven" in V/H/S/2.)

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Hope this is an OK place for this, but my Vinegar Syndrome order of the (limited slipcover) The McPherson Tape arrived today and apparently I accidentally ordered two copies. Anyone want to trade something for one of them?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Party Hard Die Young is a fun nineties-throwback teen slasher set at a dance-music festival, but it ends up in a kinda problematic place by the end. It's secretly a rape-revenge movie, except the "revenger" turns out to be the bad guy and the rapists survive in the end. There's a subtitled German version and and English dub on Shudder, but don't watch the dub, it's awful. Watch the subbed version and learn some fun German swear words and the extremely dumb word for "mobile phone" (das Handy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Like, I think they were going for a "the protagonists are actually the bad guys" / 'they deserved it" angle, kind of like Unfriended, except in that movie the killer gets them all, and that doesn't happen in this movie.