Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Caught DEEP DARK on Amazon streaming. Premise: a struggling artist contemplates suicide because his stuff is trash when suddenly a strange little hole in his studio apartment starts talking to him. The hole helps him improve his work in exchange for a little companionship... and everything works out wonderfully! (jk)

I enjoyed the concept of the film quite a bit. I like "place horror" where there is something off about a location and I'm a sucker for mysterious holes (:pervert:). DEEP DARK ends up being something of a horror comedy in the way it makes fun of the main character and plays a little bit with visual gags. There isn't too much gore, it's more the horror of the situation (although there are couple bloody scenes). The film also does not err on the side of overexplaining things, which I appreciated.

The biggest problem for me was the script. The writing was really weak with characters expressing themselves in flat movie tropes and seemingly motivated by the plot itself rather than much internal volition. This film will invite comparisons with VELVET BUZZSAW and while that is plenty divisive for people, you can really see a contrast with the way VB has characters who very clearly want things and express a complexity of interior life that leads them to make bad decisions or say the wrong thing. DD just feels underwritten by someone uncomfortable with dialogue. The film is written and directed by a guy named Michael Medaglia and it looks like this is his first feature length film, so that checks out.

That said, I had fun with the film! It's a weird premise with some laughs and some spooks and I don't regret my time in the world it creates. I will take an imaginative failure over a tired "win" any day. I think if Medaglia can find a writing partner or two, he could end up creating some cool stuff in the future.

I give DEEP DARK 3 out of 5 moist horror holes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Lunopolis is a great found footage movie with an awesome concept and great acting but holy poo poo does it have some of the worst sound design. Why is there background music covering up half the loving dialogue?

I just watched it (free on Tubi). It's funny: it's a really badly made film that kind of charmed me anyway. I think it's a creative concept executed in the lowest budget, goofiest way possible. I somehow think it sucks but enjoyed watching it.

Maybe I'm caught in a Moon colonist time correction (which made no sense even in the lore of the film)!

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 6, 2020

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

married but discreet posted:

Verotika starts out amazing but ends in such a boring slog of a short, it's a shame.

Yeah I wanted to like it in a The Room kinda way, but that last story is just the drizzling shits

(the first story is hilarious though)

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Desperate "identify a movie for me" plea. I sat down to watch PROM NIGHT 2: HELLO MARY LOU thinking I'd seen it before but I hadn't (it owns by the way). I was thinking of another 80s-ish teen horror/slasher film that I believe revolved around a dance and some kind of generational murder revenant (this is the night Sally was killed twenty years ago!), and the only distinguishing feature I can recall is that it felt very Cape Cod, or, like very Plymouth, Massachusetts coastal feeling. Maybe it revolved around a yacht club or something? Is this anything? Did I dream this after eating bad lobster?

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 27, 2020

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Oh baby, I think that's it. It was even on Shudder back in 2018 when I first signed up for it, so that tracks with when I think I saw it. Interestingly, it was filmed in Cape May, NJ, which is not exactly Cape Cod, but not wholly NOT Cape Cod for a filthy west coaster like me.

Also, it's up on Youtube right now and has been since 2017 so it sounds like the rights holders aren't too interested in protecting the copyright, so watch it while it's hot!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU1_ANGdAOo

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

graventy posted:

My Bloody Valentine’s town kind of feels coastal, to me. Probably not it though.

I love MBV but that's a Canadian mining town, not a coastal Kennedy-esque boating club kinda town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
TITANE is not the most hosed up movie I've ever seen, except in a couple ways it is.

What a great fuckin' film!