Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

is Scream too obvious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

T Bowl posted:

I am a horror film fan, and I just recently watched "Would You Rather". It was ok, pretty goofy.

I liked it, but mostly because of Jeffrey Combs. Without him it would've been pretty dull I think.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

I watched Mausoleum (Vinegar Syndrome's black friday release) yesterday and it was pretty fun. Surprisingly good makeup and gore effects for a low budget film like this. The rest of the film has some bad acting and writing and some very dull cinematography, but the supernatural/creepy stuff is a blast and looks really good. I think it is aware of this and doesn't waste much time on the boring stuff. If you like schlock and cheesy '80s horror, I'd recommend it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

I'd say The Exorcist III fits that description.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

what are some good Christmas horror shorts (available to stream)? I just watched Treevenge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLI55bV3zkQ

and Humbug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UySKl3TUgsw

but want more!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Jedit posted:

Santa brought me the Collectors Editions of The Fog and They Live, along with a pre-order for the CE of Prince of Darkness. These are the 4K remasters with the new documentaries and featurettes, spread over four discs each. That's me sorted for a while.

Anyone else find something nice, or at least suitably horrible, under the tree?

My girlfriend got me this framed original poster for The Haunted Palace, signed by Roger Corman!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

I could fill a month with just movies I own but havenít gotten around to watching yet. In fact I probably should...

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

I believe I read that he still plans to make movies and even a TV show that follow his continuity, and that the remake is separate.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

the Final Destination series has a pretty good success rate. the fourth one is lovely but 1, 2, and 5 are all great and 3 is weaker but still fun.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Gejimayu posted:

I fiigured he was just talking about The Green Room.

:thejoke:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Gejimayu posted:

My bad. I didn't think jokes were allowed in the Serious Business Thread.

I just assume that everything is a joke, works pretty well

except the above post about Horror Express, that's deadly serious

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

ThePagey posted:

I have a problem with films shot prior the 90's

ThePagey posted:

I consider myself a Serious Horror Fan(TM).

:thunk: you really should start watching older films, you are missing out on like 90% of the best films in the genre. There is a thread going right now for people to get caught up on horror essentials, the picks in there would be a good place to start! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878553

edit: that probably sounded condescending, I didn't mean it that way! welcome to the thread :)

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 16, 2019

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

STAC Goat posted:

How do people regard Inferno? All the years I never actually watched Argento I always associated Suspiria as the film I HAD to see and then extrapolated out that the Three Mothers Trilogy was something I had to see (and in fact I'd say part of the reason it took me so long to see Suspiria was because I had it my mind that I had to see Inferno and Mother of Tears as well and it was a small miracle to find all three available or affordable at once).

Now that I've actually seen Suspiria it seems like Opera, Tenebrae, and Phenomena are the next big talked about films of his while Inferno is largely an after thought (and Mother of Tears seems regarded badly). But I've always seen stuff that suggests Inferno is really underrated. So I'm curious.

Basically, if someone hypothetically were to say "You have to see Suspiria" and you were to say "I have, but I'll watch ____" what would be the natural choice? Because I gather "Inferno" is the wrong answer despite it being my first instinct.

my favorite Argento films after Suspiria my next two favorites are Deep Red and The Bird With the Crystal Plumage, followed by Tenebrae. Inferno is okay but not on the same level.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

you shouldn't be embarrassed about any movie being your favorite. unless it's The Boondock Saints

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

the boondock saints is a national treasure and i will not have its good name disparaged in this thread

the same goes for the entirety of the evil bong series

there's nothing wrong with the Evil Bong movies, but The Boondock Saints is a movie for edgy teens about how murdering people you don't like is cool and good.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

CelticPredator posted:

I still really like Cabin in the Woods.

Thatís a helluva snipe.

I do too, it's a fun movie. I think it sometimes gets more praise than it deserves though (hence the backlash), and someone calling it their all-time favorite movie of any genre is a little :psyduck:.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Wark Say posted:

Greetings. Habitual lurker here. Decided to post since I feel like I'm running into a dead-end: If I have Amazon Prime and Netflix, are there any horror movies in either that I might be overlooking worth the while?

I recommend using JustWatch to browse - you can filter by service, genre, etc. Here is a list of all horror movies currently on Netflix for example:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/provider/netflix/movies?genres=hrr

Some on there that I personally liked a lot are The Ritual, Raw, Hush, Green Room, The Autopsy of Jane Doe, Train to Busan, Creep/Creep 2, As Above So Below, Murder Party

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

I get it, but I'd be pissed if I lived in the area and was looking forward to seeing it. Changing the date and cancelling the advertising in that area is cool though.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

unless I'm reading it wrong, they did pull the movie:

"Additionally, the studio has decided not to show the film in Parkland and the surrounding areas. "

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Hereís a Movies Anywhere code for The First Purge:

UYLB K9AF 5STU BHA1

About to watch it myself!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

K. Waste posted:

I was more of an In Search Of... kid

yeah I prefer Pharrell's earlier stuff too

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

I wonder how they're actually going to show show a color outside of the visual spectrum.

quote:

Nicolas Cage has been set to star

it'll be like those Doom mods where the textures are replaced with a picture of Cage's face

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

So I just watched Waxwork II: Lost in Time and holy poo poo it was fuckin great. I didnít expect much and only watched it because it was in the Vestron release with the first one, but I loved it. Really cartoony and campy, like the first one but even more so. They donít really travel through time, itís more like jumping between different horror movies - there are riffs on Alien, Frankenstein, and The Haunting, amongst others. The Haunting one is in black and white and features Bruce Campbell, and it has a great slapstick bit at the end.

Also there is a scene where Frankensteinís monster squeezes Baron Frankensteinís head so hard that his brain pops out of his skull and shoots across the room. David Carradine shows up at one point. And it ends with a goddamn rap song and dance bit over the end credits. I was dying laughing.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

I get Sleepaway Camp, Christine, and Videodrome

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

I can't find any horror movies that were released literally on my birthday but Microwave Massacre came out the day before and Nightmares came out the day after

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Waxwork II: Lost in Time ends with a rap song about the events of the movie

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Scream is better movie than Hellraiser and it's not even close. Hellraiser is great and all but Scream is a nearly perfect movie. :colbert:

Not sure how another Scream movie could work though - another continuation of Sydney's story would be dumb, a faithful remake would be unnecessary, and a reboot with different characters might as well just be a different film. Lots of life left in Hellraiser though I think.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Speaking of which, is Brad Dourif still chucky in the new movie?

nope

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

My picks for cenobites/Pinhead:

That dude who plays Death in the t.v. show Supernatural The Seventh Seal

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

do they even need Pinhead though? he's iconic looking but not really essential to the plot. they could do a remake with an entirely different cenobyte design.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

From extensive research I know that the correct drug of choice to watch horror movies is weed.

:hmmyes: can confirm

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Dr. Phil :cool:

or Lily Tomlin, I'm not sure who I'd have the best chances with

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

I just started using Letterboxd in the past few months and it's great. Although I wasted like a full day obsessively going through lists of movies to mark all the ones I had seen.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Fart City posted:

What's the worst type of body trauma depicted on film?

Eyes are an easy answer, but I'm gonna go with teeth.

ditto on teeth. there's some movie that I'm drawing a blank on right now where someone gets a drill to the teeth and it's horrifying, I wanna say it's a Fulci film but I may just be conflating it with the drill to the head scene in The Beyond.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

wait what animal dies in Blade Runner? the only animals I even remember in it are the owl and the snake, both of which are synthetic...

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

I feel like I'm missing something obvious

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

Evil Dead II > Evil Dead 2013 > Evil Dead > Ash vs. Evil Dead >>>>>>>>>>> Army of Darkness

:yeah:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Neo Rasa posted:

Synthetic pets are still pets. :3

haha, fair enough

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

I love the '78 Invasion of the Body Snatchers too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Jedit posted:

The Thing isn't original IP, though - it's based on a novel.

Good point, same goes for Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Fly then, they are based on short stories.