Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
the only reviews I care about are from posters in this thread and a handful of people I follow on Letterboxd that have taste similar to my own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

joylessdivision posted:

trash with the occasional decent flick thrown in

This describes pretty much the entire horror genre, for every well-received new movie we discuss in this thread there are 10 other ones that came out the same week that are disposable crap. If anything, remakes/sequels have a higher good:bad ratio than the genre as a whole.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Chucky in space would be super easy. He's a doll, you can take him anywhere.

In an attempt to dispose of him for good, NASA tries to launch Chucky into the sun. A slight calculation error is made and he ends up in orbit around the earth instead, and 300 years later is picked up by astronauts on a space station. It pretty much writes itself!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Class3KillStorm posted:

"In space, no one can hear you dream, bitch"

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

flashy_mcflash posted:

Seeing both Titane and Last Night in Soho tomorrow within 5 hours of each other! # blessed

I’m jealous, I saw Candyman in a theater today and it had trailers for both of them.

Also I enjoyed Candyman a lot, it had some flaws in pacing (at only 91 minutes I wonder if it was trimmed down by the studio) but overall it really worked for me.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Just saw Malignant in the theater, it was… something. It didn’t occur to me while watching that it was giallo influenced but that totally makes sense - it’s very visually stylish, has an overly complicated murder mystery that doesn’t really make sense when you think about it, and the acting and dialogue is exaggerated and kind of bad. The killer even (very mild non-plot related spoiler) wears black leather and uses a memorable and unique weapon. But it’s fun and fully commits to its bonkers premise. I wish there had been more people in the theater with me, it would’ve been fun to see with a big crowd I think.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

it dont matter posted:

It's bad in a number of ways but absolutely worth seeing because it's so loving bonkers. I haven't laughed at anything in a while as much as I did at the last 20 minutes of this very dumb movie. I still don't know if that was the intention.

I think it knows exactly what kind of movie it is, as soon as I heard the line “you’ve been a bad bad boy” like five minutes in I knew it was embracing the dumb

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

Question:
Will the Fear Street films be allowed for the Halloween challenge this year.

even though they were released closely together they are three full films and not a mini series if that’s what you mean

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
In the opening you see that some kind of surgery is being done and pieces of something are being cut away, but at that point you don’t have enough context to know what’s happening, and if they commented on not being able to remove everything then it didn’t register to me

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Origami Dali posted:

The opening scene was so weirdly schlocky for a major horror movie that I thought it was a movie within a movie.

I definitely thought this too and I’m glad it wasn’t

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

Oh, also, I made this.

151 Horror Film Hidden Gems: A List

I'll be updating this to have notes for each film and why they were selected. It's 151 underseen horror films for people who've worked through the standards.

While I know a lot of regulars who's been in this thread as long as me, or longer, will be familiar with most of them, hopefully there's some in there that haven't. Almost all of them have less than 100K views on Letterboxd (for context, The VVitch has 450k+ and Lord of the Rings has 900k+ views.) And if there's people new to this thread or lurkers who want a good curated list, it should be a nice resource.

I'm pretty sure every movie on the list is set in stone, but to repeat, I'll be adding notes (and more recommendations) to all of these as I get time.

Great list, thanks for that! I'm at 76%. Some of the ones I'm missing are on my watchlist already but there's also quite a few I've never even heard of, so I'm excited to check them out.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
my friends' band recorded a cover of Dragula earlier this year that I like, in case you've ever thought that the song could use a trumpet solo:
https://theactionband.bandcamp.com/track/dragula

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

They're actually showing City of the Dead, not City of the Living Dead. City of the Dead is a relatively obscure Christopher Lee film, definitely check it out it's extremely underrated.

It's a great movie, also to bring it back to Rob Zombie chat the "superstition, fear, and jealousy" sample from the beginning of Dragula is from City of the Dead

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I watched Jakob's Wife on Shudder last night and it's a solidly OK vampire movie. A step up from the director's previous film Girl on the Third Floor and most of that is due to Barbara Crampton and Larry Fessenden in the lead roles. Some good ideas and it gets quite bloody at times but the tone is inconsistent. It's entertaining enough (after a slow first act) and worth checking out if you like the cast and/or vampire movies but it falls short of being more than decent.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

I think I probably liked it a bit better than you but I totally agree that the two leads carry it. I need to dig into Fessenden’s filmography more.

I haven't seen everything he's done but Wendigo (2001) and Depraved (2019) are two of his films I'd recommend, and he's produced a whole lot of excellent indie horror films over the years as well.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

I’ve seen Wendigo and vaguely recall liking it. Have you (or anyone) seen Habit? Fessenden was on Joe Dante’s podcast recently and they kept bringing that one up.

I have not, I'll have to keep an eye out for it

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

RobbZombae posted:

Also I haven't seen these films so if you spot one you know doesn't apply to the theme it would be cool if you let me know, I basically compiled a watchlist from other lists.

there's one mistake that really stands out - Tammy and the T-Rex isn't trash, it's a masterpiece :colbert:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Hedrigall posted:

Nope, I swear it was a series of various full length films and very recent.

While I'm thinking of things I can't remember, was there some anthology horror film in the last decade or so about people trapped in a movie theatre and being forced to watch spooky things that are the short films of the package?

Nightmare Cinema maybe? The Theatre Bizarre has a similar premise but I think it's just one person watching the films and not multiple people

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
jello molds and pimento are the true horrors

e: terrible page snype

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I think it's only an OK movie, but Cushing is fun in it and Lee and Price elevate anything they do and it's at least worth a watch if you are a fan of any or all of them. Plus it has this great Price moment: "Please don't interrupt me while I'm soliloquizing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzJg3idpXT0

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
More movies, especially horror movies, should be even less than 90 minutes. Host clocks in at under and hour and it's the perfect length for that film. Especially with so much going right to streaming these days, the ~90 minute standard seems kind of dated.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

feedmyleg posted:

I'd get Letterboxd Pro if they added a feature to it which would let me sort by multiple genres. I want to be able to search for films that are both Comedy and Horror, or Fantasy and Animated. You can kind of hack it if someone's put together an uber-genre list of every horror movie ever, then filter by comedy. But it's a big pain.

You can do that, I dunno if it’s a new feature or what but I just tried on the app and it worked:

You can even exclude genres, so if you want to see horror movies that don’t also have the comedy tag you can do that too.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Splint Chesthair posted:

Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II

Definitely, I don't think the first Prom Night is an especially good movie and Hello Mary Lou is literally an unrelated script they slapped the Prom Night name onto. I'd take it over the original any day.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm gonna need an author or something because that is the single most unsearchable title.

I’m assuming they mean A Children's Bible by Lydia Millet, I haven’t read it myself yet but it’s been on my list for a while

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

ah man that sucks, I would've loved to see him reprise his weird bad accent from Halloween 6

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I re-watched Knife+Heart today and it still slaps, it’s in my top 5 horror movies of the past decade. Hell, top 5 movies period probably.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I feel like a broken record because I’ve been watching good movies and have nothing but good things to say, but I watched Prom Night 2 last night and it whips.

Takes a little bit to get started but once it does it’s just bonkers. The blackboard that turns into a pool and disappears Vicki is so cool.

Never stop posting about good movies!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Snooze Cruise posted:

i dunno i had a cousin who went through something similar

It happened to a friend of my cousin in Trinidad

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Burkion posted:

Is there any other actor who played both the 'hero' and 'villain' of a movie as often and as well as Vincent Price?

I swear half of his movies have him playing both roles, often shouting at himself. Literally and figuratively. He also rarely survives one of his own movies but you know

Karloff maybe, he played a lot of villains but also a lot of sympathetic protagonists.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I understand why some people dislike Flanagan’s work, he’s got some definite weaknesses, but overall he really works for me. Before I Wake is the only thing he’s done that I disliked, and even that had some decent ideas in it. He’s certainly not the best horror director working today but I think he’s the most consistently solid one.

married but discreet posted:

Finally got to see new Candyman after rediscovering the concept of Drive-in Theatres - pretty ok movie, nothing outstanding, but weirdly 90 minutes seemed too short for it.

Parts of it felt rushed, especially in the third act. It made me wonder if it got trimmed by the studio a bit.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
echoing that Haunt and House of the Devil aren’t haunted house movies, at least not in the sense the others are. The Innkeepers is a good suggestion, or maybe The Others or The Orphanage.

For pairings, The Haunting and The Legend of Hell House might be good together. Very similar premise but they differ greatly in tone, b&w vs color, etc.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

Final Destination 5 has some of the best set pieces in the series, but I understand the fans that say the final act gets too convoluted for the series. I didn’t have that problem, because I’m there for the set pieces, and just appreciate the attempt to tie the narrative together.

2 is my favorite, with 5 being my second favorite. I don’t even remember 4.

So probably my ranking is 2, 5, 3, 1, and 4.

Swap 3 and 1 and these are my rankings.

The quality of a Final Destination film is directly proportional to how much Tony Todd is in it - he’s in 1, 2, and 5, but in 3 you only hear his voice, and he’s not in 4 at all.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I convinced my 65 year old parents to watch Lords of Salem, and they liked it! My mom did anyway, I suspect my dad either hated it or fell asleep. Still, this Halloween season is officially a success!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
At the end of VHS94 I was surprised when Jennifer Reeder’s name came up, I have only seen one other film of hers (plus some shorts) and it was terrible so I wondered which of the segments she did, since they were all excellent.

Of course she did the lame wraparound.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

feedmyleg posted:

I know there's probably not a direct equivalent, but who would be in the running for today's top 3 Elder Statesmen of Horror ala Lugosi/Karloff/Chaney or Price/Cushing/Lee?

Off the top of my head we've got Robert Englund, Brad Dourif, Jamie Lee Curtis, Jeffrey Combs, Sam Neill... maybe Bruce Campbell, Sigourney Weaver, or Barbara Crampton are in the mix too?

Brad Dourif, Barbara Crampton, and Jeffrey Combs for sure. Maybe Bruce Campbell, but most of his classic horror work was in the '80s, while most of the old greats you listed worked in horror for decades. Englund is classic as Freddy but I don't think he has the range of some, and most of the others are just as well or more known for their non-horror work. Dourif is known for other stuff too I guess but he shows up all the time in horror films.

I'd add in Tony Todd too

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

Because postage is very expensive.

assuming you are in the US, media mail is like $3 and you can even reuse the envelope it was mailed to you in. A small price to pay to see a naked man shove needles into his taint

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I’m not really anti-Funko like a lot of goons are but that’s still pretty cursed

Does make me want to watch Mandy again though c

DeimosRising posted:

He's from iceland, he talks about it all the time

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah seriously its like 94% of my posts.

well clearly I only read 6% of your posts

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I haven’t read many of his novels but his Books of Blood short story collections are fantastic, if you like horror fiction at all they are essential reads

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

John Yossarian posted:

I just watched The Greasy Strangler. I have no idea what I just watched.

bullshit artist!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Häxan would work. The Lords of Salem maybe, especially in the last act it's pretty much all visuals with not a lot of plot.

Sometimes during spooky season I put on the 1931 Dracula with the alternate Philip Glass/Kronos Quartet score while I'm doing other stuff. It's kind of too much if you're actually watching the movie but it's great ambiance, and I've seen the film more than enough times that I can tune in for a few minutes here or there and enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Heavy Metal posted:

Whatta guy. Saw him live once, dancing robot and go-go girls, was ill. Anybody like 31 by the way? Curious about that one. Lords of Salem too.

31 has it's moments but it's one of his weaker films overall. Worth it for Richard Brake's character though, he's great in it.