Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Untrustable posted:

Random Acts of Violence loving sucked. I literally forgot I watched it until I saw it in the "newly added" section on Shudder again. What a pointless movie.

I did buy the Steelbook of Mandy and am happy to own that. I saw The Color Out of Space got added to Shudder and I've heard good things so I'll be checking that out soon. Avoid Random Acts Of Violence though.

I watched Random Acts of Violence and Color Out of Space recently. You're right about Random Acts. Pretty lame.

Color Out of Space has some merits, but I found it kinda weak. It's basically 100 minutes of bizarre things happening and characters reacting to them. When everything is weird, nothing is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

JordanKai posted:

I watched the Shudder-exclusive Host today. It was interesting, but I didn't enjoy it all that much. I was expecting a little more from it considering the rave reviews it's gotten, I must say. It made cool use of the pandemic/lockdown setting, though. The use of Zoom was especially well-implemented.

Apparently the entire film was produced during the lockdown and the director had to coach the cast and crew through setting up the lighting and effects remotely. That's really impressive, all told.

Has anyone else seen it yet?

It's a solid FF movie with some effective moments, nothing more. I liked it, but the crazy hype is a bit undeserved.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Gripweed posted:

Is Cannibal Holocaust actually good? I know it has it's place in history, but like, if you sit down to watch it for the first time now, is it actually a good movie?

Yep, it's legit good (not great, just good). And yes, the violence is over hyped.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

DeimosRising posted:

A true OP has returned. You were missed

Now if only slasherfan were still around

I was?! That makes me warm and fuzzy.

e: also I want to say how delighted I am to see that "spook a doodle" is still alive and well.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 23, 2020

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm considering jumping into the October challenge again this year, though my involvement likely won't be nearly as intense as it was 2 years ago (I actually made custom ratings icons for every single movie I watched. How the gently caress did I have time for that?). Life is different now. A second kid, more job responsibilities, various new hobbies, etc.

BUT with all that said, I'm putting together a pretty solid list. I'm thinking it's going to be fairly Vincent Price heavy, so Shudder getting a handful of them is awesome. There are also a couple on Tubi I haven't seen yet.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Here's my tentative October challenge list.

Eyeball (1975)
Lifeforce (1985)
Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead (1994)
The Comedy of Terrors (1963)
The Tomb of Ligeia (1964)
Torso (1973)
Homicidal (1961)
Mr. Sardonicus (1961)
Halloween II (2009)
A Cure for Wellness (2016)
Gretel & Hansel (2020)
Train to Busan (2016)
Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (1988)
The Monster Club (1981)
The City of the Dead (1960)
Return of the Fly (1959)
Macabre (1958)
Kwaidan (1964)
Ginger Snaps (2000)
The Masque of the Red Death (1964)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923)
The Legend of Hell House (1973)
Theatre of Blood (1973)
Witchfinder General (1968)
The Bat (1959)
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)
Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)
Halloween: Resurrection (2002)
Danteís Inferno (1911)
The Devil-Doll (1936)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Jedit posted:

Where are you finding this? I'm interested.

YouTube. There are about five separate uploads. This is the one I'm leaning towards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRUkyHvsvfg

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Lumbermouth posted:

Iron Crowned, I will always suggest that people watch Blood And Black Lace. God that movie rules so hard.

EDIT: oh and also for revenge movies, The Abominable Dr. Phibes is a real campy and fun one.

I like the cut of your jib.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kvlt! posted:

A few years back I made a big effortpost on AU, I think it's time for another one. IMO it's one of the few "true" found footage movies. It's literally "found" footage, as opposed to "movie filled on shakycam, called FF". Blair Witch is one of the only other one's I can think of. AU is so nasty because it literally feels like a tape found at a crime scene. There's no movie editing, no cool shots, no filmmaking, just pure grime and disgust.

Agreed. I don't LIKE the AU movies per se, but I sure appreciate how they truly feel like some random gently caress's home videos.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

DeimosRising posted:

double it with The Body Snatcher, with a truly menacing performance from Karloff. their universal monster roles are great but sometimes you need to be reminded that they were versatile actors and not just dracula and frankenstein's monster

And if you like The Body Snatcher, be sure to watch Bedlam. Karloff as a sadistic mental institution warden.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Here is my current Spooktober list. My self-imposed challenges so far are:

Where'd you source your list from? It's awesomely eclectic. I applaud your ambition!

drat I haven't thought about Benny's Video in years. I need to rewatch that.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Iron Crowned posted:

So, I'm going to say that Pee Wee's Big Adventure should probably count as horror.

If my 4 year old's reaction to Large Marge is any indication, then yeah you're absolutely right. We usually have to skip that scene.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Loved Ones is sinfully underappreciated. I recommend it to people every chance I get.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Stink Billyums posted:

it was over 60 minutes

And unquestionably horror.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Gaz2k21 posted:

I just pre-ordered the Friday the 13th boxset so hopefully that will arrive in time for Halloween, Iím also getting tattooed on the actual day so clearly Iím gonna get a spooky tattoo.

Covid Halloween looking pretty good.

I've not been keeping up with Blu-ray releases lately. Does this new F13 box set finally contain all the unrated versions that people have been clamoring for for decades?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

tonedef131 posted:

Susperia remake is better than the original. Just needed more bone distortion death dancing and less grandpa Tilda story time and it would have been my movie of the year.

Yep, when I think back to the film (only seen it once), the old man subplot is the only element that sours my feelings towards it. I think you could literally cut out 100% of that subplot and the film would only benefit from it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm sure I'm late to the game, but I just learned about Brandon Cronenberg's new film Possessor. It totally looks like my jam. Now where the hell can I watch it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyRkoL45JGk

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I can confidently say TCM is very possibly the best horror film ever made. It's not only one of the most effective, but decidedly one of the most influential of all time.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Yeah that hammer kill is a perfect scene. No musical cues, no style. Just sudden, brief, shocking violence. The way his leg twitches and the door slams. It's like watching a person actually get murdered. My 16 year old mind was blown when I first saw it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Curse of the Demon is a million times better than Drag Me to Hell

Facts.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm using RNG to determine which films to watch. I know there are certain films I'm never going to be in the mood for, or will probably otherwise underestimate and ignore, so forcing myself to watch whatever film is chosen is a big help in overcoming those hurdles.

What's your source list?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Are there any decent Facebook horror movie groups? The ones I'm in are mostly just filled with "who would win in a fight jason or michael huhuuhrurur" bullshit.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

M_Sinistrari posted:

Some of the ones I'm in are Italian Horror And Giallo Films, Classic Monsters of Filmland, New Mexico Horror Society, Pre Code Hollywood 1929 - 1934 amps it's horror for October, There's also the Laurie Strode, Lynda Van Der Klok, and Annie Brackett accounts that post in the voice of the characters and on Halloween go through the movie lines in posts. The horror host ones seem okay so far.

Perfect. Italian Horror And Giallo Films looks great.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

married but discreet posted:

Why would you be on facebook when you can have all the spooka-doods and spooka-doodettes and all other spookfolk in one single dead gay forum?
Because
and

Just kidding, I love my dead gay forum.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

EL BROMANCE posted:

God that sounds awful.

(I kiiiiiiiid, I just had to laugh that this inspired a multi page thing of exactly that ha)

What's interesting is how this discussion the last couple pages demonstrated how infinitely better this forum is than most FB groups. Despite the (IMHO) trite topic, it was a true discussion and not just 100s of single-word replies.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (theatrical cut) also has a pretty righteous head explosion.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I feel like I'm the only person who didn't buy that F13 set Starting to feel some serious FOMO.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

My problem is I already own all of these on DVD. I'm not one of those who automatically upgrades every single movie to Blu-ray when it comes out. Are the features on this set significantly better than the "From Crystal Lake to Manhattan" DVD set?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Gaz2k21 posted:

Itís got worse, now amazon has delivered my copies of Frankenhooker and Zombie flesh eaters (bloody 2 for £15 Arrrow deals) and left it outside the loving block (I live in a flat) literally anyone could get at it and I donít exactly live in the most savoury of areaís

Iíve got about 4 hours until Iím home

All this stress must be giving you a blistering headache. Better tell your boss you're going home sick.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

My cats aren't allowed anywhere near my Body Melt Blu-ray

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Also: The Witch in the Window, Terrified

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I also had to refer to my Letterboxd review to remember what I thought of Nekromantik. Looks like a no-go from me:

This is a boring, poorly shot, poorly acted, poorly scored, amateurish piece of garbage. It's a film that's famous purely for its premise, not its execution. The only "interesting" scenes are completely ruined by the stylized camera effect. You know a film is desperate to shock when it relies on extended footage of a rabbit being killed and mutilated. For a movie to be effectively disturbing it needs to at least be well made. This movie fails at that.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I just got to thinking, I've never actually seen the theatrical cut of The Exorcist. I've seen "The Version You've Never Seen" many times (is this just called the Director's Cut now?). What's the general consensus on the better version?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Gripweed posted:

What happens when you guys run out of horror movies?

You have to expand. Foreign, older, more obscure, etc. Just keep digging and you'll realize how few you've actually seen.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Mods?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Trying to decide on my "essential" watch. Which should it be, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), or Sisters (1972)?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

StrixNebulosa posted:

- It Follows (gently caress this movie)

I'm genuinely curious to hear you expand on this, especially with you being a horror newbie.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I maintain that Zombie's best film is House of 1000 Corpses, it's wonderfully sincere and unrestrained.

Sincere is the perfect word for it. I think I used "pure" in my recent review. There's a lot to be said for that.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I really like this list of essential horror that Fran linked to in the challenge thread. I've seen exactly 500 of the 1,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

What was the first offender, The Social Network with "Creep"? That's the first one I remember.