Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

On second thought, I think this is a much better list than the one I linked earlier. I don't really like how that other list is loaded with documentaries about horror films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

I don't think it's a hot take to say that Scanners is lesser Cronenberg that really is only remembered because it has the one iconic scene in it.

When you dig into Cronenberg you realize he easily has 5 or 6 films that are much better than Scanners. Maybe more.

Definitely more. Scanners isn't even in my top 10 Cronenberg films.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Anyone have a favorite Hershell Gordon Lewis picture?

Blood Feast is incredible.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Reminds me a little of in Suspiria how the girl falls into the pit of wire. It doesn't appear to be "razor wire" like most people remember, but rather piano wire. All she has to do is stop flailing around and it probably wouldn't even cut her.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I don't think there's a 60s one. The ones I'm aware of are:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've only seen 56 and 78. But it's hard to imagine the newer ones improve on 78, which is a masterpiece.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Does anybody else refer to the They Shoot Zombies, Don't They? list? I'm at 526 right now. I think after the October Challenge I'm going to make a concerted effort to chip way at this.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

It's kinda crazy that Bava's Bay of Blood is from 1971.

I do wonder if the "teenagers getting killed at the lake" slasher trope would even have been a thing without Bay of Blood Twitch of the Death Nerve.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

I think an interesting question is why there are mainly slasher films at sleepaway camps, and not a larger variety of other monsters. Werewolves at sleepaway camp (although Goosebumps sorta did that a little bit in the 90's), vampires at sleepaway camp, etc.

Chopping Mall-esque killer robots at a sleepaway camp would be incredible.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

What I'm even more interested in is how Tobe Hooper came up with TCM. This may be documented somewhere but it's not occuring to me. I mean he made a film that would be remade, referenced and praised for the next 40 years. Did he just pull the idea out of his rear end?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Drunkboxer posted:

A lot of it is just Ed Gein.

He definitely got some of the details from the Gein story (skin mask, animal skeletons, etc.). But a raucous, gritty horror film featuring a family of hosed up freaks seems to have been uncharted territory.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

How appropriate that CineFix just posted this like five minutes ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1vUEI_2aBY

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Speaking of Ed Gein, I'm surprised Deranged (also from 1974 like TCM) isn't a more beloved film. It's almost a direct retelling of Gein's story, and it's really compelling and filthy. One of my new favorites I think.

Yeah Deranged is one of the most underappreciated horror films ever. I have the Arrow Blu-ray and have probably watched it three times.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

You hosed up Wan but you gave the thread a new title so that's cool.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

dorium posted:

There’s even a whole thing to that. You can’t do that from any streaming device you regularly use. You have to go to a desktop to go to the website and go deep into your settings to turn it off. It is bliss though. Having it all turned off.

Wait, so you can turn it off FOR the apps from the desktop website?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

STAC Goat posted:

You turn it off to your whole account, but you can only access the switch on a desktop.

Well my life just improved slightly.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I actually prefer when a movie has subtitles. I always get more invested in it for some reason.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Gotta say, they did a drat good job matching the voices.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I was so amped for that show when I saw previews for it as a kid. Then I watched it and was... not impressed. But I still watched every single episode. Just seeing the Cryptkeeper on Saturday morning TV was a thrill for me.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Here's a digital code for The Lighthouse for anyone who wants it:

cdcvj4cy51x3p4x3

e: claimed

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 25, 2020

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

King Vidiot posted:

Who watches horror movies to be scared?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Goddammit this is annoying. It already got rebooted. MAKE A loving SEQUEL! I don't need 30 minutes of origin story, I just want Jason killing people.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kvlt! posted:

it doesnt, a reboot is much closer to a sequel.

It's reMAKES I have a problem with. Reboots and sequels I dont care about.

Reboots ARE remakes. They're remakes that intend to spawn sequels. At least that's how I've always understood it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kvlt! posted:

Zombie's Halloween is specifically a reboot and NOT a remake. Same with the 2009 Friday.

This is an odd way to view it. Both Halloween 07 and Friday 09 are most certainly remakes.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kvlt! posted:

No theyre reboots

Yep. And reboots are remakes :colbert:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

If F13 09 isn't a remake, what's an example of a remake?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kvlt! posted:

Psycho '98

You're defining remake as "shot for shot remake", and reboot as "re-imagining". Both shot for shots and re-imaginings are remakes. What makes F13 09 a remake is that it has the same title, the same integral character, and the same general concepts. Yes, general. Remakes are still remakes if they aren't exactly like the originals.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Which Friday the 13th is Friday 09 a remake of?

Ostensibly the first one. But spiritually any of them. Or all of them. It's still a remake.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kvlt! posted:

if a character and "general concept" is all you need then whats the difference between a remake and reboot? A remake needs to REMAKE something.

You forgot title. That's a big one, as arbitrary as it may seem. The difference between a remake and a reboot is that a reboot is restarting a franchise.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kvlt! posted:

your definitions are wrong and mine are correct. I just cannot fathom how you think a movie with an original story and characters is a remake. It's remaking something that NEVER EXISTED. It's a NEW movie. How can it REMAKE A MOVIE THAT WAS NEVER MADE

Because the term "remake" is loose and weird. Dawn of the Dead 04 is a remake regardless of how silly that description is. It's a marketing thing first and foremost, which is why the title is so important. Call the new Child's Play "Killer Doll Movie" and it's something original, but call it Child's Play and it's a remake. And it is a remake.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kvlt! posted:

No. YOUR definition of remake is weird and so are the mental gymnastics you do to have to justify it.

Except it's not just mine. It's the universally understood definition, for better or worse.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kvlt! posted:

Wrong. I've never heard anyone but you call the '09 13th a remake. Like someone else said, which Friday is it remaking?

Fine, you're right. There have only been two remakes ever. Psycho and Funny Games, and maybe a couple more obscure ones that no one can think of. Got it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Shrecknet posted:

Hey folks,

Got into a discussion with a buddy who lives in my building, and he wants to 'get into' horror, he's only seen a few of the biggest tentpole jumpscare-a-thons from the last decade or so, so I made him a list with descriptions, just want to make sure I have all the bases covered. I didn't want to go too much further back than Alien (with one notable exception) because the films that came before aren't really as great as the refined stuff, it's like telling someone who's only seen Fast & the Furious movies how awesome the car chase is in Bullett. Like, it's true, but it's also a complete letdown because it's been so effortlessly eclipsed since then.

The notion that the car chases in the Fast and Furious movies "eclipse" the car chase in Bullit is even dumber than the remake/reboot argument I had with Kvlt! earlier.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Can someone clarify which ending of Paranormal Activity is the "original"? I recall seeing TWO additional endings on the DVD: one where She cuts her throat with a knife (this was my preferred one) and one where the cops shoot her to death offscreen.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Haunt is definitely worth a watch. I've only seen Hell House LLC 1 and loved it, by all accounts 2 and 3 are pretty lousy.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

dorium posted:

how does Halloween H20 take a FULL HOUR before anything loving happens and there's only 25 minutes left. what the poo poo.

Nothing much happens in the last 25 minutes either.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Someone please talk me into watching Halloween Resurrection. I own the Blu-ray set and it's the only one I haven't seen. For completion's sake I'm drawn to it, but it just looks... so... lovely...

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

It does have an appearance by Jamie Lee Curtis so if you want to have seen every Laurie scene in the series you have to watch Resurrection. Of course, you could just turn it off after ten minutes.

Your spoiler actually helps the case for me watching it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Tonight She Comes is abso-loving-lutely incredible! There is a lot of edgelord humour in the first act, setting up the less likeable characters, and I completely understand if that's not your thing, but if you fight through it you will be richly rewarded. I can't remember the last time I saw a film this visceral, this brutal, this unapologetically blood-soaked and goopy. If you're one of those people who bemoans the loss of '80s goopy horror, check this out, stick with it, and bring headphones with a nice bass boost. You will not be disappointed.

drat. Those are inspiring words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Uncut Gems is a panic attack in film form.